PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Charging

DVious
2011-07-13, 08:05 PM
Hey all,

I'm very new to D&D and I just have a question regarding charging.

My question is, in AoO the description is "An enemy that you can see either leaves a square adjacent to you or uses a ranged....", so my question is if a monster charges past a PC (or vice versa) to the desired target, can the PC make a AoO

Next, I'll point you to this thread http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94550

This asks the question about spears and charging. I am wondering what are some more opinions about this, but, not only with spears, but, with any weapon. My feeling is that if the target has a readied attack, it should be possible to brace for a charge/bull rush. How would you go about this though? Make it an AoO? Completely interrupt the charge/bull rush and use the readied attack? Reflex save by the attacker to continue it's charge/bull rush?

The more opinions the better. Thanks all!

Edit: I thought I put it in here. Sorry for the confusion, we are playing 4e.

Welknair
2011-07-13, 08:39 PM
Yes, charging can provoke AoOs. Spears have reach. As such, you must move through the first space of said reach to enter melee range. Hence provoking an attack of opportunity. There are additional feats to increase your capability in this function in Heroes of Battle and Complete Warrior, I believe.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-13, 08:44 PM
Is this 4e or 3.5e?

Welknair
2011-07-13, 11:16 PM
Is this 4e or 3.5e?

Good point. My answer was assuming 3.5e. I know next to nothing about 4e.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-13, 11:45 PM
Good point. My answer was assuming 3.5e. I know next to nothing about 4e.

:smalltongue:

Well, I'm much the same; I don't know anything about 4e, which is what made me ask for the distinction in the first place. But if you were speaking about 3.5e, Welknair's answer is accurate.

To add, however: there's a very important distinction between an AoO and a Readied action to attack an approaching enemy. To answer your questions (again, assuming 3.5e):

If the target uses his standard action to Ready a regular damaging attack (roll a 1d20 to see if you hit, roll your 1d12 dice, etc, etc), then no, he does not in any way hinder the enemy from charging, moving, etc. Likewise, if the target uses his AoO to perform a regular damaging attack, he also does not hinder the enemy from charging, moving, etc. Instead, the target simply inflicts damage to the enemy, and the enemy continues on her merry way to disembowel PCs. Unless you dropped her, in which case the PCs are very much emboweled.

However. "Ready" does not only let you Ready damaging attacks. They let you Ready any Standard action. Or any Move action. So, although swinging your Greatsword won't save you from the oncoming Charger, you could try Readying an action to step out of the Charger's path. Or you could try the Total Defense option (You shall not pass!), or (if you're feeling like a MAN) ready an action to Bullrush an oncoming Charger. And you could try Tripping the enemy too (there might be a thread on that around here). All of these actions interrupt the Charger, and they all brace for the attack in one way or another as a Readied action. Total Defense is probably what you're looking for (though Moving is safer).

Might not be relevant: weapons that specifically say "you deal double damage on a successful hit against a charging character" or some such tend to require a ready action. So even if you perform an AoO against a charging character with your Long Spear, you don't deal double damage on a successful hit, since it wasn't readied.

JonRG
2011-07-14, 01:14 AM
AoOs and reach weapons (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0216.html), as illustrated by the Giant himself. :smallsmile: