PDA

View Full Version : Epic Baleful Polymorph (3.5 spell, PEACH please)

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 09:51 PM
Epic Baleful Polymorph
Seed: Transform
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 300 ft
Target: One creature
Duration: Permanent
Saving Throw: Fortitude Negates, Will Partial (see text)
Spell Resistance: Yes
Spellcraft DC: 46 (21 transform seed, +5 for transforming one type of creature to another type, +20 for standard action)

The epic baleful polymorph spell permanently transforms a creature into a Small-sized humanoid of the caster's choice. The affected creature retains its original Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, as well as its class level, base attack bonus, saving throws, spells and spell-like abilities, but not its supernatural abilities. The creature's type becomes humanoid, and it gains the subtype of the new creature and it loses all its original form's subtypes. (This includes the Augmented subtype if a creature was originally undead or something similar). Change any racial HD the creature had to d8s and reroll its hit points if necessary (For all intents and purposes, the humanoid racial HD are considered to have the same BAB and saving throw progression as the creature's original racial HD) Its Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores become those of the new creature's, as does its natural armor and physical abilities. (Change its HP to match the new creature's Constitution score immediately). Its size becomes Small and its land speed becomes the new creature's speed. It loses any swim, flight, burrow or climb speeds it had, unless the new creature has one of those speeds. Its equipment can either merge into the target or stay untransformed outside the new body, at the caster's option.

If the creature no longer qualifies for any feats it had (such as racial feats, feats that augmented a supernatural ability such as metabreath feats, or feats that required a natural attack or flight speed that the new form doesn't have) the creature loses the benefits of those feats and may make a Will save (DC equal to the DC of this spell). If it succeeds its Will save, it may choose new feats that it qualifies for to replace the feats it lost. Otherwise, those feats are lost forever.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-13, 09:52 PM
Was this necessary? And why Gnomes? You got something about little folk?! Wese gonna beat you with our shillelaghs if you do!thisisawesome

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 09:54 PM
Was this necessary? And why Gnomes? You got something about little folk?! Wese gonna beat you with our shillelaghs if you do!thisisawesome

It was very necessary.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-13, 09:55 PM
It was very necessary.

But why the shot at Gnomes? Why not do it on Goblins instead?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 09:56 PM

Alright, I'll change it to "small humanoid of the caster's choice"

Welknair
2011-07-13, 09:57 PM

Because gnomes are less dangerous. And more humorous.

I approve of this spell.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-13, 09:58 PM
Alright, I'll change it to "small humanoid of the caster's choice"

That'll do. Now I can force people to become Leprechauns. It'll be awesome!

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 09:58 PM
That'll do. Now I can force people to become Leprechauns. It'll be awesome!

Or you can change a dragon into a kobold! The irony!

Shadow Lord
2011-07-13, 09:59 PM
Or you can change a dragon into a kobold! The irony!

Or, with a bit of changing, you can turn a kobold into a Dragon!

Cipher Stars
2011-07-13, 11:52 PM
this seems perfectly fine as a 9th level spell :/

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-13, 11:56 PM
this seems perfectly fine as a 9th level spell :/

You weren't here earlier. I was talking about how I Bluffed a blue dragon cleric and said my character was actually Tiamat that had been cursed by an epic baleful polymorph spell. That inspired me to actually make it.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-14, 12:18 AM
Clarified and updated. Am I leaving anything unanswered?

Dark Kerman
2011-07-14, 05:11 PM
A. May I pinch your remark about level 20 monk for my sig?

B. Splendid concept, but I notice it says about transforming
inanimate nonmagical object into a Small-sized humanoid of the caster's choice. Isn't that slightly confusing? Would they be blank states, minions for your molding for a (gnome?) army? Or feral and savage attacking everything on sight? Or some other possibility?

Welknair
2011-07-14, 05:15 PM
B. Splendid concept, but I notice it says about transforming . Isn't that slightly confusing? Would they be blank states, minions for your molding for a (gnome?) army? Or feral and savage attacking everything on sight? Or some other possibility?

I would assume it's as if they Polymorphed into the given creature, given that's all the Transform seed specifies. I suppose you could add a Compel seed to cause them to act in a specific way, but that hasn't been done. They're just a Small-Sized humanoid now.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-14, 05:15 PM
A. May I pinch your remark about level 20 monk for my sig?

B. Splendid concept, but I notice it says about transforming . Isn't that slightly confusing? Would they be blank states, minions for your molding for a (gnome?) army? Or feral and savage attacking everything on sight? Or some other possibility?

A) Yes, please credit me in it though. I'm actually rather proud of that joke.

B) I don't really like that part of the spell. But the seed targets creatures or inanimate objects and doesn't give a clear definition for what happens to them. (Making epic spells is a real pain in the ass)

I don't even know if this is technically homebrew since I'm not making anything up and I followed the Epic Level Handbook to the letter in making it. I suppose since it is the homebrew forum I could just forget the rules and take it out. Think I'll go ahead and do that. Creatures only. And creatures retain their personalities, of course.

Dark Kerman
2011-07-14, 05:21 PM
A. Certaintly shall. :smallbiggrin:

B. Yeah, I imagine that if you were fighting in a gravel pit, the next thing you would know is a mountain of blank gnomes arising from the ground like the ultimate troupe of acrobatic small-folk forming a human pyramid...

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-14, 05:38 PM
A. Certaintly shall. :smallbiggrin:

Then have fun with it. And remember: Real friends don't let friends play monks past level 6.

Dark Kerman
2011-07-14, 06:12 PM
Could be worse, could be a Truenamer. :smallwink:

NosferatuZodd
2011-07-14, 11:54 PM
I don't get this... It's supposed to be an epic version of the spell so I assumed it would be a mass version or something. But all it does is cast a weaker version of the spell. It's not too much of a drawback to be turned into a small humanoid. The non-epic version of the spell is actually better. considering it turns you into an animal and thus you lose most of your abilities. A small animal at that. So nothing like a wolf.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 02:44 AM
I don't get this... It's supposed to be an epic version of the spell so I assumed it would be a mass version or something. But all it does is cast a weaker version of the spell. It's not too much of a drawback to be turned into a small humanoid. The non-epic version of the spell is actually better. considering it turns you into an animal and thus you lose most of your abilities. A small animal at that. So nothing like a wolf.

It's not too much of a drawback to turn into a small humanoid. When you were say, a dragon with six natural attacks and a breath weapon and 45 Str. Not every epic creature has decent SLAs.

And this spell is made straight fromt he Epic Level Handbook. That's all the transform seed does. And it still requires a Spellcraft check DC 46 to cast it.

motionmatrix
2011-07-15, 06:57 AM
I like the concept, I would give the option of a compel seed, which does not allow you to change back out of your own will. that takes care of shapechangers, makes this almost a curse.

And being an epic spell, I would allow the change to be up to small: i.e. Fine, Diminutive, Tiny, or Small.

This is an epic spell, I should be able to turn you into a roach if that is what I desire.:smallbiggrin:

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 11:36 AM
I like the concept, I would give the option of a compel seed, which does not allow you to change back out of your own will. that takes care of shapechangers, makes this almost a curse.

And being an epic spell, I would allow the change to be up to small: i.e. Fine, Diminutive, Tiny, or Small.

This is an epic spell, I should be able to turn you into a roach if that is what I desire.:smallbiggrin:

You would think that, but the Transform seed actually has a limit of Dimunitive. And unfortunately, I don't know of any humanoids smaller than Small. (Taking away the humanoid point would remove the reason I made the spell to begin with)

Edit: Also, shape changing is a supernatural ability. You already lose all supernatural abilities in the new form, not just the ones that require a body part you no longer have.

Yitzi
2011-07-15, 11:54 AM
Then have fun with it. And remember: Real friends don't let friends play monks past level 6.

Well, not an unfixed monk, anyway. Ideally, a monk should be weak against other physical combatants, but capable of going toe-to-toe with a wizard of equivalent level and winning.