PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's masterpiece theater

Sunken Valley
2011-07-14, 10:15 AM
In the re-cap in DStP, Belkar does a spoof of masterpiece theater. Within this spoof he parodies five or six different books. The only ones I recognise are great expectations, Sherlock Holmes and Pride and Prejudice. Can someone tell me what the others are.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-14, 10:46 AM
I don't recognise the others as being definite references to anything in particular... I kinda assumed he was just spoofing genre classics rather than necessarily a specific example every time, though I'd be interested to hear if the other scenes ARE referring to specific works.

FujinAkari
2011-07-14, 10:59 AM
The Count of Monte Cristo is referenced in the scene with the prisoner learning the finer arts from an older prisonmate.

MoonCat
2011-07-14, 12:12 PM
Great Expectations is the prisoner freeing scene. Never let it be said the Giant doesn't read well.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-14, 03:08 PM
The Count of Monte Cristo is referenced in the scene with the prisoner learning the finer arts from an older prisonmate.
Ah, right. Never read that one.

Great Expectations is the prisoner freeing scene. Never let it be said the Giant doesn't read well.
That was mentioned in the OP. Weirdly, though, I didn't notice it either when I replied, so I had to go back and edit it out. Something about the lack of title case causing selective blindness maybe.

MoonCat
2011-07-14, 03:14 PM
That was mentioned in the OP. Weirdly, though, I didn't notice it either when I replied, so I had to go back and edit it out. Something about the lack of title case causing selective blindness maybe.

:smallredface: Silly me. Sorry Sunken.

Sunken Valley
2011-07-14, 03:41 PM
Thanks to awareness of the Monte Cristo reference, I know them all except the last one with Haley and Belkar standing over Miko's corpse.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-14, 04:08 PM
Thanks to awareness of the Monte Cristo reference, I know them all except the last one with Haley and Belkar standing over Miko's corpse.
That one in particular struck me as a broad genre piece rather than anything specific. "Detective from Scotland Yard teams up with working-class sergeant" seems rather wide to be apply to any one work, although since all the others did...

Porthos
2011-07-14, 11:02 PM
That one in particular struck me as a broad genre piece rather than anything specific. "Detective from Scotland Yard teams up with working-class sergeant" seems rather wide to be apply to any one work, although since all the others did...

The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inspector_Lynley_Mysteries), maybe? I see that the television version has appeared on Masterpiece Theater

EDIT: The main reason I found that was pairing Scotland Yard with "working class sergeant" in Google. The term "working class sergeant" seems to be a fairly common was of describing the character of Barbara Havers.

Nimrod's Son
2011-07-15, 04:16 AM
The Inspector Lynley Mysteries (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Inspector_Lynley_Mysteries), maybe? I see that the television version has appeared on Masterpiece Theater
Possible, I guess, if it's been shown in the States. Seems a bit obscure to me still, as it's never been an especially well-known show in the UK, at least amongst young people. That sort of show is often aimed at the over-thirties, and even then it's nowhere near as famous as shows like Inspector Morse or Taggart. I'm a little surprised it's been shown in the US at all, but if it was a "thing" over there then I guess it's possible... it does fit with the main character's partner being a redheaded female, after all.