PDA

View Full Version : AvB - Isaac

Monodominant
2011-07-14, 11:33 AM
He wins initiative.

The half orc adopts a defensive stance for only a second and then charges ahead.

Now a question here. You say your AC is 19 in your character sheet. Does this include the Inertial armor casting cause its not clear.

I will tell you results of his attack once you tell me the above.

Toptomcat
2011-07-14, 11:47 AM
It includes neither the Inertial Armor nor the bonus from Dodge. My present AC vs. this fellow is 25.

Monodominant
2011-07-14, 12:05 PM
Okay, rolling below

[roll0] He is attacking vs flatfooted and going for subdual in case of crit confirm [roll1]

damage [roll2] and [roll3]

As the half orc charges it gets within a couple of feet from you and you expect him to either punch you or headbutt of some form. Instead with his last step he jumps up high and then rushes towards you in a form of flying kick heading for your chest. The blow touches you but as you move back you dont really suffer the effects of the kick at all.

I assume 20 does not hit flatfooted?

Your turn.

Toptomcat
2011-07-14, 12:44 PM
Isaac exhales sharply, tensed muscles taking the last of the impact off of a kick already softened by his psionic armor. Taking advantage of the half-orc's lack of balance following his flying kick, he steps in briskly, pivots on his front foot and delivers a powerful palm strike with his entire weight behind it.
20 misses flat-footed AC. Make a Decisive Strike as a full-round action, using Combat Expertise to subtract 4 from attack and add 4 to AC.
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] subdual bludgeoning

Toptomcat
2011-07-14, 01:21 PM
Whoops. Combat Reflexes gives me the ability to take AoOs flat-footed, so I get a trip attempt off of Defensive Throw for that missed attack.
Touch attack: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll1]

A successful trip attempt generates an Improved Trip AoO against the opponent's AC - 4 (prone)
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3] subdual bludgeoning

Monodominant
2011-07-14, 01:46 PM
Using his momentum from the flying kick against him you sweep at his feet as soon as he lands and manage to drop him on the ground. You follow that with a decent blow that takes the air out me his lungs and he is still down.

since this was AoO Its now your normal turn!

Toptomcat
2011-07-14, 03:34 PM
Isaac stands over his fallen opponent and reaches down, grabbing his opponent's shirt and pulling him up and into a bone-rattlingly solid punch to the body- a precisely targeted blow to the solar plexus made to weaken the young half-orc and dash the breath out of his lungs.

Spend one charge from the Brute Gauntlets as a swift action to add a +2 morale bonus to damage. Making a Decisive Strike as a full-round action. Spending a Stunning Fist attack.
Attack: [roll0] vs. prone AC (-4)
Damage: [roll1] subdual bludgeoning and DC 20 save or stun

2/3 Brute Gauntlets charges remain.
2/3 daily Stunning Fists remain.
12/15 pp remain.

Monodominant
2011-07-15, 12:11 AM
He makes the save but...

The half-orc is taken by suprise as he is still trying to get on his feet and recover from the first blow and make sense of what happened when your blow lands.

He collapses unconsious on the ground in a very non-delicate manner.

Give me a closing description and we can go back to the city streets were I will give a summary of what happened :D

also take 400xp for defeating this guy, adjusted for the fact its not a life or death situation.

Toptomcat
2011-07-15, 11:47 AM
Oops. Looks like I overestimated him. I'd hoped to give the crowd a bit more of a show.

Isaac kneels down to his fallen opponent and mutters something, touching his hand to the half-orc's chest as he does so.

Activating my Healing Belt for one charge. Healed: [roll0] HP. If that doesn't get him up and about, do it again: [roll1].

Once Gurthang's eyes open, Isaac holds a hand out to his fallen opponent, helps him get back onto his feet, firmly shakes his hand, and leans forward to address him quietly.

"There. Nothing left but a few bruises: a night's rest will sort you out. Come see me after the performance if you want to know how I beat you- and how not to be beaten the same way again."

Then, he raises his voice again and addresses the crowd.

"Give it up for the brave Gurthang! He was the first to challenge where no one else had dared, and there's no shame in losing to the master of the Three Treasures School of Martial Arts. Do we have another challenger?"

I'm not really looking for another NPC here- unless, of course, you have something especially interesting in mind- but I want to give a chance for any PC newly entering the City Streets thread or who otherwise might be interested in jumping in and participating. Do you know of any other PC who might like to participate in this kind of kung-foolery? Is there an official Aldhaven general OOC thread?

Monodominant
2011-07-15, 12:14 PM
No, we dont have an OOC other than the recruitment thread. I will suggest it to Plans and Rizban and see what they say.

Your first heal brings him to his feet. I will post results and then do the summary on the City streets.

Sorry for delaying you, it has been a busy couple of days!

Monodominant
2011-07-15, 02:56 PM
Posted on city streets. Up to you how long we wait for PC contestands. NPCs right now are too awed by the defeat of the half-orc.

We will continue here later depending on how events progress.

planswalker
2011-07-16, 11:48 AM
[roll0]

Initiative time...

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 12:37 PM
As his student explains the rules to...whoever planswalker's character is, I don't really have a name...Isaac will manifest Force Screen without display. Current AC vs. this guy is 26, accounting for my missing Dexterity and dodge bonuses to AC.
Initiative: [roll0]

planswalker
2011-07-16, 12:44 PM
against invisible targets, you do not get dex bonus or dodge to ac.

"Everyone, stay at least 15 feet back from our brave little brawler here. You don't want to get caught."

A halfling male under 3 feet tall materializes 10 feet in front of Isaac as a cone of gas shoots out at him. His jet-black hair and bright green eyes complement his scales running along his neck,arms, and face. He has a small shield strapped to his left arm and is holding a staff in his right hand.

"Call me Little Green." Little Green then backs away 10 feet.

cone of weakening gas. -6 penalty to strength for 4 rounds, 2 rounds on a dc 18 fortitude save.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 03:14 PM
Fortitude save: [roll0]
Isaac grunts as he feels his strength sap away- then closes in on the halfling, hands first warily circling to bat away any attempt to ward him off then reaching out to establish a collar-and-elbow grip and slam the halfling painfully to the ground.

Dex to AC restored. Little Green designated as Dodge target. Current AC 29. Closing and making a grapple attempt. I do not have Improved Grapple, so I generate an AoO from Little Green. This will probably miss: if taken and missed, Defensive Throw generates a counter-trip.
Grapple touch attack: [roll1]
Grapple check: [roll2]
Grapple damage: [roll3]

Trip touch attack: [roll4]
Trip check: [roll5]
Improved Trip AoO (vs. prone AC, -4): [roll6]
Improved trip AoO damage: [roll7]

Sorry for how delayed this was.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 03:16 PM
Crit confirm on Improved Trip AoO: [roll0]
Crit damage: [roll1]

planswalker
2011-07-16, 03:39 PM
how are you inflating your ac so absurdly high? your base is a 19, you are getting +1 from dodge and +4 from intertial armor.

His staff being an aid to his breath weapon and not actually much of a weapon, Little green does not take the AoO. Since the grapple attempt missed (touch ac 14) and I don't take the AoO you don't get your counter trip.

He takes a step back and unleashes a cone of cold on him for [roll0] reflex half.

Monodominant
2011-07-16, 03:53 PM
He also has force screen on.

Top roll save and then do your turn.

planswalker
2011-07-16, 04:00 PM
by my count, that's still only a 28.

I don't make attack rolls anyways, so it's not too relevant I guess.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 04:06 PM
[roll0]

Monodominant
2011-07-16, 04:09 PM
He manages to dodge part of the blast and only suffers 6 points of damage.

Isaacs turn.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 04:15 PM
"SEIYAA!"

Isaac neatly front flips over the rolling cone of freezing gas, dropping low on landing and shooting in at the halfling's legs in an attempt at overbearing him and slamming him powerfully to the ground.

Reflex save succeeds: evasion grants no damage. Five-foot stepping towards Little Green and making a trip attempt.
Trip touch attack: [roll0]
Trip attempt: [roll1]
Improved Trip AoO (vs. prone AC:) [roll2]
Improved Trip AoO damage: [roll3]

planswalker
2011-07-16, 04:21 PM
opposed trip roll:

[roll0]

did you remember the -6 str you're still effected by?

regardless of the outcome of that roll, he will use his breath weapon to weaken him for -6 str again, since it wore off. fortitude save for 2 round duration instead of 4.

Monodominant
2011-07-16, 04:26 PM
Yes he has used the lowered strength for his attacks and he has also used lower damage for them.

planswalker
2011-07-16, 04:38 PM
ok.

sorry to be so annoying about this, but since he has evasion and a rather nasty trip combo, I'm kinda picky about my one effective trick actually working as intended.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 04:41 PM
I did. Fort save: [roll0]
Just as a hint of strength begins to return to his limbs, Isaac gets another faceful of his opponent's annoying weakening gas. Still, it's clear that he remains the stronger by a considerable margin, and he dives to the ground to wrestle with his fallen opponent, striving to maintain a position behind Little Green's head to deny the draconic halfling the use of his breath weapon- and to lock in a crushing chokehold while he's at it.

Attempting to enter a grapple. Another AoO is granted, current AC 29 and Defensive Throw is irrelevent since you're already prone.
Re: my AC: Inertial Armor is augmented and I have an item that grants a bonus to natural armor. 10 +2 Dex +5 armor +6 monk +4 shield +1 natural +1 dodge = 29.
Also note that all damage done on my part is subdual.
Touch attack (against opponent's prone AC, or normal touch AC -4): [roll1]
Grapple check: [roll2]
Grapple damage: [roll3]
Note that supernatural abilities such as breath weapons cannot be used while grappled by RAW.

planswalker
2011-07-16, 04:55 PM
I would love to know how you come by that interpretation of the rules. You're able to cast spells in a grapple, which have somatic components and are more difficult to do.

I demand a DM arbitration on that. It is not covered in the PHB rules, no, but is an absurd thing to say.

Toptomcat
2011-07-16, 04:58 PM
It's a rule that they felt the need to specifically exempt true dragons from in their entry, to begin with. Ask Wizards covered the question in reference to Dragonfire Adept in their 04/23/2008 column, where the answer was 'no.'

It would be a very reasonable house rule to make, though I request a redo of this round's actions if that becomes the case.

planswalker
2011-07-16, 05:13 PM
and I'm asking for DM arbitration because the official wizards 3.5 FAQ specifically states,
The grapple rules provide a list of actions available to a grappling character, but it’s obviously not an exhaustive list. (It doesn’t, for example, mention “speaking” as an option.)
and that ruling you mentioned is absurd.

Monodominant
2011-07-17, 01:29 AM
Being grappled does NOT deny him the ability to use it.

If next round you -pin- him and go for the option where you close his mouth I would consider it.

Under pin it says specifically you can stop vocal components... I would say a -breath- weapon requires him to open his mouth and thus is blocked by a pin imposing no vocal but a grapple on its own is NOT enough.

If you want to amend your action do so but know that you must first initiate a grapple and then pin on the subsequent turn (unless if you have 2 attacks).

planswalker
2011-07-17, 01:36 AM
... I can't breath on his hand? oh well. At least it will take you an extra turn to completely cripple and incapacitate my character. yeah, I'm losing this fight.

Monodominant
2011-07-17, 02:00 AM
Closing the mouth doesnt necessarily mean he puts his hand over your mouth. It could mean holding your jaw clenched...

its a matter of mechanics as oppossed to fluff... cause I also cant see how a small kobold for example could grapple a large horse but in the game it somehow happens after the penalties are resolved...

Still... him pinning you doesnt mean anything since he only has 1 attack... he cant pin AND do damage... so its a deadlock... if chooses not to pin he breath on him... if he chooses to pin neither of you can do anything... with the exception that with some luck you can actually break the grapple AND breathe on him...

So yea much like many 1vs1 grapples things end up in a deadlock very often... pin is generally useful when you have... a party to join in WHILE you are pinning or if he has multiple attacks... :D

planswalker
2011-07-17, 09:24 AM
ok, fine, whatever.

this leaves us waiting on whether or not he decides to retcon the grapple.

Toptomcat
2011-07-17, 09:43 AM
...hmmm. I think I will retcon things.

Just as a hint of strength begins to return to his limbs, Isaac gets another faceful of his opponent's annoying weakening gas. Isaac sees the opportunity to go to the ground and finish Little Green with a back mount and a chokehold that would prevent the use of his breath weapon- but groundwork tends to be subtle and difficult for a crowd to get excited about. Instead, he decides to take a risk and his leg comes up to deliver a gigantic axe kick to his fallen opponent's sternum.

Making a Decisive Strike, spending a charge from my Brute Gauntlets as a swift action, and making a Stunning Fist attempt.
Attack: [roll0] vs. prone AC (normal AC -4)
Damage: [roll1] and DC 20 Fort save or be stunned for 1 round
1/3 Brute Gauntlets charges remain
1/3 Stunning Fist attempts remain
EDIT: Subtract 1 from that attack. Forgot to account for Decisive Strike's normal attack penalty.

planswalker
2011-07-17, 09:57 AM
that misses my 20 prone ac.

If they want a show, the crowd is most definitely getting one.

A cone of fire shoots out and strikes the brawler for [roll0].

reflex again.

Monodominant
2011-07-17, 10:02 AM
The crowd cheers as the engagement seems to be entertaining and... well colorful as opposed to the earlier beatdown with the half-orc.

The thump of the incredibly strong axe kick gets a couple of claps and the fire breath after that from the small halfling gets a similar treatment.

Axe kick was a miss.

Reflex for half/evasion for zero and then your round Toptomcat.

Toptomcat
2011-07-17, 10:14 AM
Reflex save: [roll0]

Monodominant
2011-07-17, 10:27 AM
Its your turn Toptomcat

Monodominant
2011-07-19, 07:38 PM
The breath hurts him more than he expected but he manages a few more blows against the little halfling.

As Little Green prepares to breath again his noxious strength saping gas you both hear a loud whistle from the direction of the guards. You see that next to the man is standing an older guardsman with a more gleaming armor and a Lieutenants stripes.

The first of the two guards rushes towards you.

"Break it up you two! The Lt. will have our heads for letting you throw him around and you breath out all over the place! If you want to continue take it outside the city wall or come back tomorrow after 6 when the Lt is off duty. As far as I am concerned the fight was pretty enjoyable" he says adding the last bit with a very low voice.

The crowd jeers annoyed at having been denied more entertainment yet they clap Little Green on the back approvingly and also some approach Isaac to ask him about maneuvers he used and his training.

Sorry Isaac but I cant keep another PC locked up waiting... there are other PCs who expressed interest in observing or fighting as well...

You can both return to the city streets and I will make a summary post tomorrow morning.

Each of you finds 650xp on your way there!

Monodominant
2011-07-26, 05:58 PM
Bump.

toptomcat are you still around and interested in continuing with this?