PDA

View Full Version : big question regarding nontraditional races

Graytemplar
2011-07-14, 01:58 PM
Im working on another 3.5 character and I want this one to be extreme,he'll be running alongside a group of regular pcs so his level adjustment needs to be at a minimum (we'll probably be startin around lvl 10-15)

So my question for u Playground goers, is this:
What what is the most peculiar creature class that can still move relatively smoothly with ur average party, sure he'll have to stand outside when they visit cities, but whats important to me is that he'll stay on relatively even ground with the characters,

throw in a couple of templates too, so long as it contributes to the weirdness :)

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-14, 02:01 PM
I'm not sure what you want. You ask for minimum LA but want us to be bizarre and stack templates? The Playground will have plenty of suggestions for either case, but could you clarify what you are looking for?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-14, 02:04 PM
Neraphim (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040613a&page=2) would definitely get stares in a town or city outside of Sigil, yet have 0 LA.
Necropolitan would also get a reaction. You are an undead after all.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-14, 02:07 PM
If you're playing a caster in FR, phaerimm would certainly draw some attention, and their LA would be more than made up for by their ridiculous spellcasting advancement by level 10.

Telonius
2011-07-14, 02:07 PM
As far as "standing out," that will depend entirely on the campaign setting. Even something as relatively tame as a tiefling can provoke reactions anywhere from, "Meh," to "Kill it!" depending on how the DM is running the campaign.

gbprime
2011-07-14, 02:08 PM
That depends on your campaign world and how tolerant various cities are. (And whether there's anyone in that city powerful enough to DO anything about the odd PC's presence.)

My campaign has two odd characters in it. The first is a Fey'ri (races of Faerun), but she has Alter Self so this is a non-issue. The other is an Anthro Constrictor snake (all the look of a yuan-ti abomination without all those pesky RHD and LA), and the average reaction to her is to kick her out of any establishment she slithers in to, so she sticks near the group's priest of the war god and few people are bold enough to actually speak up.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-14, 02:08 PM
Extreme...? Do people still say that?

Well, here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19869266/Master_Template_List)'s a list of templates for you to scour through. Pseudonatural from Complete Arcane is something to go for if you just want people to notice you. You might have some difficulties explaining it though.

Person_Man
2011-07-14, 02:11 PM
I've played a Kobold before, which was a giant roleplaying hassle since everyone in every campaign setting throughout the history of D&D hates Kobolds.

There's also a bunch of really small or obnoxiously big races which people take for optimization reasons which can't function normally in most places, like the Muchdwellor or Half-Ogre.