PDA

View Full Version : Does this bloodline abuse work?

Hazzardevil
2011-07-14, 02:26 PM
I was wondering for a thought experiment if the following works:
2 bloodline levels.
1 Half dragon paragon levels (Stacks with sorcerer for casting.
2 half-dragon levels, (All that matters is that it stacks with caster levels for spells, this works with warlock and sorcerer,)
1 Sorcerer
1 Warlock.

Does it give level 8 sorcerer casting and level 5 warlock casting.

Tokiko Mima
2011-07-14, 03:42 PM
I was wondering for a thought experiment if the following works:
2 bloodline levels.
1 Half dragon paragon levels (Stacks with sorcerer for casting.
2 half-dragon levels, (All that matters is that it stacks with caster levels for spells, this works with warlock and sorcerer,)
1 Sorcerer
1 Warlock.

Does it give level 8 sorcerer casting and level 5 warlock casting.

Remember that Half Dragon Paragon only increases caster level for sorcerers, not actual sorcerer level (which is what new spell levels and spells known are based off of.)

For half dragon levels, I'm assuming you mean the template progression? I can't find a half dragon class that would advance sorcerer or warlock.

When using bloodline levels to advance a spell-caster, the increase only applies to caster level: no new spells known or spells/day are granted. Bloodline abuse is primarily useful to invoker types, because they use caster level for everything and there is no such thing as a separate 'warlock/DFA level' for computing their abilities.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-14, 04:28 PM
Remember that Half Dragon Paragon only increases caster level for sorcerers, not actual sorcerer level (which is what new spell levels and spells known are based off of.)

For half dragon levels, I'm assuming you mean the template progression? I can't find a half dragon class that would advance sorcerer or warlock.

When using bloodline levels to advance a spell-caster, the increase only applies to caster level: no new spells known or spells/day are granted. Bloodline abuse is primarily useful to invoker types, because they use caster level for everything and there is no such thing as a separate 'warlock/DFA level' for computing their abilities.

For half-dragon I meant a homebrew class on the forum, just imagine that half-dragon is 2 racial hit dice for one of the races that stacks with sorcerer for casting only it works for sorcerer and warlock.
I was asking if bloodline would stack with half-dragon and half-dragon paragon for adding their levels to sorcerer and warlock.

Tokiko Mima
2011-07-14, 08:01 PM
For half-dragon I meant a homebrew class on the forum, just imagine that half-dragon is 2 racial hit dice for one of the races that stacks with sorcerer for casting only it works for sorcerer and warlock.
I was asking if bloodline would stack with half-dragon and half-dragon paragon for adding their levels to sorcerer and warlock.

Half Dragon Paragon would add only to caster level. For example, a Sorcerer 6/Half Dragon Paragon 2 would only be able to cast 3rd spells, not 4th level spells. However, if the Half Dragon cast Fireball, they would computer the damage as though they were 8th level. The same applies to Bloodline levels, in that they only add to the sorcerer's caster level.

Warlock invocations are a bit different, because it's a purely level based calculation, so a Warlock 3/Bloodlines 2 would have invocations as 5th level Warlock would.

Also, on reflection.. are you looking for a way to get a high caster level? Because there are easy ways to do that.

dextercorvia
2011-07-14, 09:48 PM
Warlock invocations are a bit different, because it's a purely level based calculation, so a Warlock 3/Bloodlines 2 would have invocations as 5th level Warlock would.

I don't think this is right. Bloodlines only get added in on level based calculations -- CL, extra Hellfire damage, etc. Warlocks get invocations based on their chart, not a calculation.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-15, 04:05 AM
Oh so in that case ths sorcerer would have CL 8 and level 5 sorcerer casting?
Okay, and level 5 for warlock as well.