PDA

View Full Version : Feral Gargun Build

Anathemata
2011-07-14, 03:37 PM
Working on a set of monstrous characters for some friends when I ran across the Feral Gargun in Races of Stone, and I love the thing. Weird, flavorful, close to a half-dozen other D&D races while being none of them, but I'm having a hard time coming up with builds for the guy. I was wondering if anyone had ideas for directions that I could take that weren't simply of the bruiser/barbarian type. I welcome any class suggestions from 3.5 or Pathfinder, just make it interesting!

IthroZada
2011-07-14, 03:45 PM
Any Tome of Battle.
Totemist or Incarnate.
Binder.
Wildshape Ranger -> Master of Many Forms.

Flickerdart
2011-07-14, 03:54 PM
The problem with Garguns is their RHD and LA - they won't be good as any sort of spellcaster, and they'll only get 1 level's worth of martial adept from their ECL4.

Having said that, their natural attacks and high Constitution could make them fairly effective Rogues - with a Braid Blade or Unarmed Strike, they can bring three weapons to bear, and the Constitution helps make up for the Rogue's abysmal HP. Because they don't have a Wisdom penalty they could make decent Psychic Warriors.

Your best bet would probably be to buy off the LA as fast as you can, and then go for a Prestige Class. Prestige Ranger could be a good fit, or perhaps an Ur-Priest based gish.

KillianHawkeye
2011-07-14, 04:31 PM
MountainRage Barbarian -> War Hulk -> Hulking Hurler

GARGUN SMASH!!! :smallbiggrin:

Thurbane
2011-07-14, 07:05 PM
If you're happy to play an evil character, go into the Soul Eater (BoVD) class. Get some sweet level draining abilities (full BAB, all good saves). If you grab 5 levels of a casting class (say, Duskblade), you can get the Spell Drain feat, and each time you drain a level from a prepared caster, you steal one of his highest level spells. :smallbiggrin: (Fairly feat intensive build - Alertness, Weapon Focus, Improved Energy Drain, Spell Drain).

Leon
2011-07-14, 10:57 PM
Druidic Hunter Avenger variants make a for a Good Feral Gargun PC

Raging Defender of the Wild with some spells

Cieyrin
2011-07-15, 08:52 AM
Druidic Hunter Avenger variants make a for a Good Feral Gargun PC

Raging Defender of the Wild with some spells

Going into Stonespeaker Guardian and Nature's Warrior can get you silly natural armor, among other benefits. Defensive Tank ftw!

Vulaas
2011-07-15, 02:35 PM
I personally like the idea of a Wildshape Ranger/Primeval for a Feral Garguan. It lets you take Monstrous PC to a whole new level, is fun, if flavorful, and is potent.

crazyhedgewizrd
2011-07-15, 07:39 PM
i played one before, it was a barbarian/cleric with a feral template added on. mainly useded the divine power for self buffs.

Cieyrin
2011-07-15, 07:47 PM
i played one before, it was a barbarian/cleric with a feral template added on. mainly useded the divine power for self buffs.

A Feral Feral Gargun? :smallbiggrin: