PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e Bloodline] Chosen of the Far Realms (PEACH)

Welknair
2011-07-14, 04:35 PM
After finishing my Emergent Atrocity (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207247) bloodline for Xenoalchemy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205119), I decided to try my hand at making a bloodline for another system made by a fellow homebrewer: Realms of Chaos's Xenotheurgy (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122103). I only recently finished reading through RoC's system and it's quite a lot to take in at once. However, I have done my best to make a fitting, balanced and flavorable bloodline for it. Xenotheurgy is complicated. This one was particularly difficult as Xenotheurgy is available to all characters already. The only way to add defining features to the bloodline was to add the ability to control these powers and to grant them more murmurs. But that's what the True Xenotheurgist does. I'm afraid that I may have edged in a bit too much on the Xenotheurgist's territory with this one.

Chosen of the Far Realms
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2011/184/0/6/am_i_insane____by_ryukaminari-d3ktlqz.jpg

Xenotheurgists are those that are somehow affected by the Far Realms, granting them unearthly powers. These powers have a tendency to drive their wielders insane. Some people seek this power, some people seek to rid themselves of it. And some people are the children of those influenced by it. And if these children are lucky (or really, really unlucky) the Far Realms will choose them to be an outlet for their powers. These individuals wield large numbers of Murmurs, but unlike True Xenotheurgists, don't attempt to prevent their Murmur levels from increasing. Instead they are gifted with the ability to lower these levels at a more rapid rate. Being Chosen is both a blessing and a curse. They have tremendous power, but using it is dangerous. And they have more of this volatile energy than most. Chosen of the Far Realms cannot become True Xenotheurgists either as that path is not compatible with the nature of the Chosen as being selected by the Far Realms. Power comes to them. They do not have to seek it out.

Level
Minor
Intermediate
Major1 Knowledge (The Planes) +22 Knowledge (The Planes) +2 Murmur, Chosen3 Ability 1 +14 Knowledge (The Planes) +2 Murmur, Chosen Unnatural Will5 Far Realms Affinity +26 Ability 1 +1 Murmur7 Use Magic Device +28 Murmur, Chosen Unnatural Will This is My Mind9 Ability 2 +110 Far Realms Affinity +2 Murmur11 Far Realms Affinity +412 Ability 1 +1 Murmur Everchanging Murmurs13 Decipher Script +214 Use Magic Device +2 Murmur15 Ability 3 +116 Unnatural Will This is My Mind Controlled Incursion17 Far Realms Affinity +618 Ability 2 +1 Murmur19 Spot +220 Far Realms Affinity +2 Murmur I am Your Master

Murmur: The Chosen are gifted with large numbers of Murmurs. The number of murmurs which they have increases as they grow in power. An new murmur is gained whenever this ability is listed in the above table. Per usual, for every Murmur they have, they must additionally choose a corresponding Incursion and gain a Disturbance.

Chosen: The Chosen are not ordinary people visited by the maddening powers of the Far Realms. They are the Chosen! They have additional control over their abilities that others could never obtain without extensive training. They may have two Murmurs active at a time; up to once per day after 10 hours of rest and/or sleep, they may exchange a single first level active murmur for an inactive one; and after four days they may lower the level of a single murmur by one if they have a minor bloodline, after two days if they have an intermediate bloodline or at the end of each day if they have a major bloodline.

Abilities 1-3 +1: Just as each Xenotheurgist pursues their own path, so do the Chosen. Their ability bonuses go the three mental ability scores (Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma) in an order of highest to lowest. So if the Chosen's highest score out of these was Charisma when they got their first increase, then the increase would go to Charisma.

Unnatural Will: One must have a strong will to resist the pull of the Far Realms. They gain Unnatural Will as a bonus feat.

Far Realms Affinity: The Murmurs in a Xenotheurgist's mind know the Chosen for what they are and influence their host's actions to help further the Chosen's plans. They gain a bonus on all social interaction checks with individuals with one or more murmur.

This is My Mind: The Chosen don't have Subverted Insanity like True Xenotheurgists do. Instead they gain the ability to channel tremendous willpower to quiet all their Murmurs at once. After spending ten minutes concentrating the Chosen makes a DC 12+Highest Murmur Level+Highest Breach Level Available+Warp Points Will Save. If successful, the levels of all their murmurs are reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1 and they gain three Warp Points. If they fail the save, they gain a single Warp Point from the strain.

Everchanging Murmurs: The Murmurs of the Chosen are more restless than most. With concentration, the Chosen may force their active Murmurs to change without the usual resting period. Doing so takes a full-round action and requires a DC 15+Warp Points Will Save. If successful they replace one 1st-level murmur with another and they gain two Warp Points. If unsuccessful they gain a single Warp Point from the strain. Additionally when changing Murmurs after 10 hours of rest, the murmurs which they switch out do not need to be 1st level. As long as they aren't 7th level they may be switched out. This is My Mind applies to these inactive Murmurs as well.

Controlled Incursion: Incursions are powerful effects. Occasionally a situation arises in which their use would prove beneficial. But the whole "24 hour duration" thing can prove troublesome. The Chosen gain the ability to let an Incursion loose for brief amounts of time before reigning them back in. Once a day the Chosen may unleash an Incursion from one of their active murmurs and then have the effect cease after up to 10 minutes. If this feature is used, the DC for resisting an Incursion does not reset. This does not count as an incursion use for the purposes of the save to avoid Murmur Level increase due to a lack of Incursion use.

I am Your Master: The Chosen has gained great control over their powers. They may now use This is My Mind as a Full-Round action.

I'm always open to suggestions and requests. I have a couple of ideas for angelic and demonic bloodlines, but I don't want to work on those right now. And I'm totally willing to look at your homebrew'd subsystem and make a bloodline for it as I have done for Xenoalchemy, Truenaming and Xenotheurgy.

And Realms of Chaos, I am open to any suggestions you have regarding this bloodline. As I said at the top, I am new to it and quite likely made some sort of glaring mistake or contradiction to your epic work. If so, please spike it out and I'll do my best to fix it. Or if it's bad enough, just pretend like this never happened. Hopefully people that enjoy your system find bloodlines to be a useful widgit and will consider the inclusion of this one in their campaigns.

Welknair
2011-07-17, 09:50 AM

Have you people no love for the Far Realms?

I'm surprised. Xenotheurgy was so popular, and yet I get not a single response. Did I biff something up?

/shameless bump.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-17, 10:18 AM
[cut]

Ahem, moving on, I don't know anything on the Xenotheurgy. So I'll read some and come back

Shadow Lord
2011-07-17, 10:20 AM
You have once again demonstrated your masterful control over bloodlines. I applaud your homebrew-i-ness, Gareth.

Welknair
2011-07-17, 10:31 AM
Ahem, moving on, I don't know anything on the Xenotheurgy. So I'll read some and come back

Good luck. It's quite the system. And remember to highlight text as you read it.

Cipher Stars
2011-07-17, 11:48 AM
Alright, I like it a lot. Took a while to read all'o that Xeno stuff. But now that I actually can see what this bloodline does its all the better now. Shame it doesn't fit my current character's concept.

Welknair
2011-07-17, 11:53 AM
Alright, I like it a lot. Took a while to read all'o that Xeno stuff. But now that I actually can see what this bloodline does its all the better now. Shame it doesn't fit my current character's concept.

Well if the abilities are close enough to what you want, you can always refluff the rest.

peacenlove
2011-07-17, 12:43 PM
IIRC the main problem of xenotheurgy was that the save DC's were scaling too easy. So I expect this bloodline to have similar problems. Other than that I don't see any gamebreaking combos (at first glance mind you), so for 3 class levels, the abilities are OK.

Are you still taking requests? Maybe a shadowcaster bloodline, that fuses sorcery with shadowcasting and/or gives Path Masteries? Check the work on my sig, which complements the excellent Descent of Shadows project by Realms of Chaos.

Welknair
2011-07-17, 12:52 PM
IIRC the main problem of xenotheurgy was that the save DC's were scaling too easy. So I expect this bloodline to have similar problems. Other than that I don't see any gamebreaking combos (at first glance mind you), so for 3 class levels, the abilities are OK.

Are you still taking requests? Maybe a shadowcaster bloodline, that fuses sorcery with shadowcasting and/or gives Path Masteries? Check the work on my sig, which complements the excellent Descent of Shadows project by Realms of Chaos.

Yes, I am indeed still taking requests. I'll add that to the list.

Current list:

Cat Fans Unite (Almost done)
Engineer
Descent of Shadows (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74519)
Vampire

Do note my imminent absence. Hopefully I'll finish the cat one before I leave, but the rest will have to wait until after I return.

Shadow Lord
2011-07-17, 01:22 PM
Wait, I've got a question; Why can't you be in the class as well as have the bloodline.

Welknair
2011-07-17, 01:39 PM
Wait, I've got a question; Why can't you be in the class as well as have the bloodline.

Because Xenotheurgy is universal. With my Bladechild I was able to keep the maneuvers granted separate than those that would be given by a Martial class. In this case it'd be the same Murmurs. Which means that both means of danger-mitigation would be viable. Combining the two drastically increases their power.