PDA

View Full Version : Don't Blink

Gorfang113
2011-07-14, 08:45 PM
So, I have a question. How can I represent a PC trying not to blink in game? I was thinking a DC 5 fort save, and each round the DC increases by some amount. If anyone has actual rules or better ones do tell please. (I think you can guess what I need these for :smallbiggrin:)

Zaq
2011-07-14, 08:46 PM
I dunno, I feel like it should be some kind of modified CON check. Not a straight Fort save, though.

rainstorm
2011-07-14, 09:02 PM
That's silly, though you can get around not blinking if you try squinting when you want to blink, try it :P

KillianHawkeye
2011-07-14, 09:06 PM
I dunno, maybe a Concentration check?

flumphy
2011-07-14, 09:08 PM
The closest situation I can think of that we have mechanics for is holding your breath. Both are a willful suspension of an involuntary action critical to survival. (Yes, blinking is critical to your survival. At least in the sense of not going blind.)

Holding your breath is based solely on your constitution score, not any sort of concentration or will check. Thus, I think it makes sense to do the same for blinking. You can avoid blinking for a number of rounds equal to double your constitution, and after that you have to make CON checks of increasing difficulty.

Redshirt Army
2011-07-14, 09:15 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YpvWimzMT5M/S9L87rXji1I/AAAAAAAAAXI/b-Rj0FW-dkw/s1600/weeping-angel.jpg

Anyway, a DC 5 Con Check, with 5 added to the DC for each round spent not blinking.

RandomNPC
2011-07-14, 09:40 PM
Don't blink, Don't even blink, Blink and you're dead.

Angels are an awesome bad guy. I'd go with a concentration check myself.

Graytemplar
2011-07-14, 09:49 PM
If ur doing a staring contest, just do opposed concentration checks,

If ur feeling comedic/cruel, have a natural 1 result in blindness

SuperFerret
2011-07-14, 09:51 PM
Don't blink, Don't even blink, Blink and you're dead.

Angels are an awesome bad guy. I'd go with a concentration check myself.

They are. Though if you're using them, expect the PCs to try to synchronize their blinks.

FMArthur
2011-07-15, 08:05 AM
You might just try a repeated Fort/Will save, whichever is better. Scale from DC 10 up by 1 each round.

ericgrau
2011-07-15, 08:22 AM
I don't think concentration or save or any skill an adventurer might (normally) train and get experience in in D&D is related. I'll agree with straight con checks. The record is quite high (several minutes) so I'd boost the DC by 1 every minute rather than every round, though I suppose making a check every round sounds about right. A base DC of 5 means an average person can last 4 rounds, or 24 seconds.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 08:51 AM
Expect PCs facing the angels to: 1) try to work it out so only one of them is blinking at any given time, 2) close one eye at a time, so they're technically blinking but still have sight in the other eye, 3) boost their checks to extraordinary levels to auto-pass, 4) cast Arcane Sight/Prying Eyes/other exotic sight enhancers, possibly with the addition of Arcane Mark/Glitterdust to add an aura to see, if necessary 5)transform into something with blindsight/tremorsense/etc 6) cast something like Gaseous form and argue that inherent in the form is some ability to see without eyes and thus without blinking 7) cast Animate Object/Animate Dead/summon or call something which doesn't need to blink, and command it to stare at the angels 8) suggest casting Blink, primarily for humorous effect, partially just to see what happens.

These are off the top of my head. If I'm a PC, and I'm facing a foe like the angels, I'm going lateral thinking and liberally applying magic. Also, I'm probably going to see if I can ehance THE ANGELS' sight, letting them see each other despite their wishes.

Just things to think about and plan around.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-15, 08:54 AM
Be careful though, a single cantrip can ruin your entire plan.
Unseen servant will see the angels and trap them.

Gorfang113
2011-07-15, 09:18 AM
Expect PCs facing the angels to: 1) try to work it out so only one of them is blinking at any given time, 2) close one eye at a time, so they're technically blinking but still have sight in the other eye, 3) boost their checks to extraordinary levels to auto-pass, 4) cast Arcane Sight/Prying Eyes/other exotic sight enhancers, possibly with the addition of Arcane Mark/Glitterdust to add an aura to see, if necessary 5)transform into something with blindsight/tremorsense/etc 6) cast something like Gaseous form and argue that inherent in the form is some ability to see without eyes and thus without blinking 7) cast Animate Object/Animate Dead/summon or call something which doesn't need to blink, and command it to stare at the angels 8) suggest casting Blink, primarily for humorous effect, partially just to see what happens.
Also, I'm probably going to see if I can ehance THE ANGELS' sight, letting them see each other despite their wishes.

Ok, 1 and 2) I can see them doing that. I want them to. THis is to scare them, not kill them. They need some way to get through. 3) Im goin with the con check ericgrau suggested, so if they are boosting that to unholy levels then something else is extremly wrong. 4) The sorcerer doesnt have those and the wizard took div as his barred school. 5) That wouldn't work, that isn't seeing the angel. You have to actually be looking at it to stop it. Feeling every hellishly fast foot fall as it runs at you isn't gonna dSNAP.... 6) I would shoot down that argument for reasons above. It is not seeing, thus the angel isn't affected. 7) None of them have that spell once again. 8) Im not even sure what happens, and im supposed to be the DM :smallsmile:

Also, to Hazzardevil, once again they do not have that spell.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 09:26 AM
Is it bad that my immediate thought was, "your PCs are sooooo not paranoid enough?"

Gorfang113
2011-07-15, 09:40 AM
Is it bad that my immediate thought was, "your PCs are sooooo not paranoid enough?"

Nope. Thats my entire motivation :smallbiggrin:

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-15, 09:57 AM
What would happen if you cast Stone to Flesh on a Weeping Angel?

mootoall
2011-07-15, 10:01 AM
Just by the by, Wizards cannot ban Divination.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 10:26 AM
What would happen if you cast Stone to Flesh on a Weeping Angel?

A) nothing - the statue form, being 'the universe's most perfect defense system somethingquantumsomething' would likely make it immune to magic

B) the angel no longer stops moving at warp speed while you're looking directly at it. Have fun fighting an enemy that moves quickly enough to replicate at will free action time stop and has a 'you lose, no save' touch attack.

That's about how I read it (remembering the angels, with their attempts to eat the tardis, can evidently affect extra dimensional spaces)

Silus
2011-07-15, 10:29 AM

These are off the top of my head. If I'm a PC, and I'm facing a foe like the angels, I'm going lateral thinking and liberally applying magic. Also, I'm probably going to see if I can ehance THE ANGELS' sight, letting them see each other despite their wishes.

Just things to think about and plan around.

Or option #9, which is the same as #1, except people start smashing the angels while they're stuck there.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 10:37 AM
Hah! 10) Sovereign Glue. Move angels adjacent to something permanent, apply liberally, then just walk away.

some guy
2011-07-15, 10:52 AM
5) That wouldn't work, that isn't seeing the angel. You have to actually be looking at it to stop it. Feeling every hellishly fast foot fall as it runs at you isn't gonna dSNAP.... 6) I would shoot down that argument for reasons above. It is not seeing, thus the angel isn't affected.

Wait a minute, isn't it that the angels need to be observed to turn into stone, I would say observing but not necessarily looking would be enough.
Wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weeping_Angels) says they become quantum-locked when being observed, but doesn't specify sight. Mind you, I haven't seen the newest Weeping Angel episodes yet, so I could be wrong.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 10:57 AM
Even viewing through monitors is enough to stop them moving (cameras don't blink, but the people watching them might). Interestingly, they never even move when on screen with no characters watching them - because we, the audience, can see them. Their 'observation=quantum lock' is so complete it breaks the fourth wall!

kharmakazy
2011-07-15, 11:22 AM
A trick I used in school to always win staring contests... Blink one eye at a time. You can go on indefinitely like that. Though I find not everyone has the dexterity of their eye muscles to pull that off. I know a handful of people who can't raise their eyebrows independently.

Silus
2011-07-15, 11:30 AM
Even viewing through monitors is enough to stop them moving (cameras don't blink, but the people watching them might). Interestingly, they never even move when on screen with no characters watching them - because we, the audience, can see them. Their 'observation=quantum lock' is so complete it breaks the fourth wall!

Actually, that backfired in Season 5.

Dr. Who spoilers ahead:

Anything with the image of the Angel, such as pictures or film, also gained the abilities of an Angel and would eventually become an Angel. (DW: The Time of Angels) When victims looked an Angel in the eyes, this ability allowed the Angel to infect their visual centres, creating an image in their mind. Thus affected, the victim could be mentally influenced by the Angel until it became fully grown, at which point it could escape the person's body (killing them in the process). This ability could only be stopped by shutting down the visual centre. Examples of mental influence include making the victim count down the minutes to their own death, and making the victim hallucinate that one of their limbs has petrified (DW: Flesh and Stone)

CTrees
2011-07-15, 11:33 AM
Honestly, I found that stupid. I mean, really.

Silus
2011-07-15, 11:35 AM

Dr. Who spoilers ahead:

Anything with the image of the Angel, such as pictures or film, also gained the abilities of an Angel and would eventually become an Angel. (DW: The Time of Angels) When victims looked an Angel in the eyes, this ability allowed the Angel to infect their visual centres, creating an image in their mind. Thus affected, the victim could be mentally influenced by the Angel until it became fully grown, at which point it could escape the person's body (killing them in the process). This ability could only be stopped by shutting down the visual centre. Examples of mental influence include making the victim count down the minutes to their own death, and making the victim hallucinate that one of their limbs has petrified (DW: Flesh and Stone)

danzibr
2011-07-15, 12:55 PM
The record is quite high (several minutes)
Record for not blinking? I've gone over 10 minutes a couple times. I imagine if there's some sort of world record thing it's gotta be hours.

Salanmander
2011-07-15, 01:03 PM

Dr. Who spoilers ahead:

I move we consider the second set of weeping angel episodes non-canon and stupid, and erase them from our minds. All in favor?

Edit: At least as far as the angels themselves go. Dr. Song can have her character development.

CTrees
2011-07-15, 01:13 PM
I move we consider the second set of weeping angel episodes non-canon and stupid, and erase them from our minds. All in favor?

Edit: At least as far as the angels themselves go. Dr. Song can have her character development.

Obviously seconded.

Because the spawning and the method thereof was bloody stupid.

ericgrau
2011-07-15, 01:23 PM
Record for not blinking? I've gone over 10 minutes a couple times. I imagine if there's some sort of world record thing it's gotta be hours.

Oops my first google failed. FWIW my next 10 second google says 30 hours plus change.

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-07-15, 01:28 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YpvWimzMT5M/S9L87rXji1I/AAAAAAAAAXI/b-Rj0FW-dkw/s1600/weeping-angel.jpg

Anyway, a DC 5 Con Check, with 5 added to the DC for each round spent not blinking.

Like I needed another reason to play a Warforged.:smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-07-15, 05:32 PM
There is a Psion PrC in Hyperconscious that has you tear off your eyelids. How's that for not blinking? :smalltongue: