PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Humanoid Hellcat

Thurbane
2011-07-14, 09:28 PM
Hey all,

I'm looking at a future NPC build, and need some help. I want to make a Hellcat (Bezekira - MM1) with class levels. The catch is, I want him to be able to take a humnoid form for an extended period each day, but without Polymorph involved.

So far, I'm leaning towards a dip into Dragon Disciple Dragonfire Adept to get the invocation that lets you Alter Self into humanoid forms.

Any other suggestions? (Ideally not spell based, as I didn't want him to be a caster or UMD user). Class, feat, template or item solutions would be ideal.

Bonus points if he can retain his Ex abilities while in humanoid form. :smallsmile:

Cheers - T

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-14, 09:32 PM
Warlock has an invocation for this... well, it turns you into a hellcat, anyways, and your native form is humanoid...

mootoall
2011-07-14, 09:34 PM
Master of Many Forms does this.

Thurbane
2011-07-14, 09:36 PM
Warlock has an invocation for this... well, it turns you into a hellcat, anyways, and your native form is humanoid...
Interesting, but not really what I'm shooting for.

Master of Many Forms does this.
Thanks, will look into this when I'm back at my books. What's the easiest way(s) to qualify for MoMF?

Amnestic
2011-07-14, 09:44 PM
Dragonfire Adept Lesser Invocation - Humanoid Shape. You can get it at level 6 at the earliest. Works as Change Shape (MM1), gives you any humanoid shape you desire.

Thurbane
2011-07-14, 10:05 PM
Yeah, I think that might be simplest. DFA would be non associated class levels for a Bezekira, so Besekira Outsider 8/DFA 8 would be CR 11.

For the fluff - other than the obvious Timat, are there any arch devils or other LE beings with strong ties to dragons?

Amnestic
2011-07-14, 10:15 PM
I can't say I know any, though there probably are some; you could just refluff the class for this NPC. That'd be my choice anyway :P

Telonius
2011-07-14, 10:21 PM
Does it specifically have to be a Hellcat? There's a class of creatures called "Canomorphs" in the Fiend Folio that fit just out of the box. The "Haraknin" subrace are LE outsiders, 4 racial hitdice, 3LA, shapechanging abilities.

Thurbane
2011-07-14, 10:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Telonius, but for this particular character, it actually does have to be a Hellcat.

-----

Would the DFA invocation allow him to keep his Ex abilities, specifically Invisible In Light?

Amnestic
2011-07-14, 10:37 PM
Would the DFA invocation allow him to keep his Ex abilities, specifically Invisible In Light?

Yes. It's based on Change Shape, which says:

The creature loses the natural weapons and movement modes of its original form, as well as any extraordinary special attacks of its original form not derived from class levels (such as the barbarian’s rage class feature).
The creature gains the natural weapons, movement modes, and extraordinary special attacks of its new form.
The creature retains all other special attacks and qualities of its original form, except for breath weapons and gaze attacks.

And since Invisible in Light is a special quality, you retain it.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-15, 09:14 AM
cast invisable spell metamagiced contiunal flame on your head. Now you are never not in light.

Thurbane
2011-07-15, 04:52 PM
Can a Hellcat voluntarily drop it's Invisible in Light feature? If not, is there any way for him to become visible while in humanoid form, so he can interact with other beings without arousing suspicion as to his true nature?

Prime32
2011-07-15, 06:16 PM
If the alternate form is a bog-standard humanoid just used for social situations, I'd have no problems just giving it to a PC for a feat. Ask your DM?

Or you could give him a hat of disguise and say he's really tall?

Thurbane
2011-07-15, 06:26 PM
If the alternate form is a bog-standard humanoid just used for social situations, I'd have no problems just giving it to a PC for a feat. Ask your DM?
I'm the DM...and I like to do as much as possible by RAW. (Think of my game as being RPGA compliant). :smallwink:

Or you could give him a hat of disguise and say he's really tall?
Hmmm, not sure that would work.

Urpriest
2011-07-15, 06:48 PM
Some sort of access to Invisibility Purge would do it.

Thurbane
2011-07-15, 07:26 PM
Some sort of access to Invisibility Purge would do it.
Good idea. Say, a ring of continual Invisibility Purge. Using the SRD guidelines:

Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp ( x 2 for minutes/level) = 3 x 5 x 2000 x 2 = 60,000gp. Expensive, but do-able.

Sir_Chivalry
2011-07-15, 07:29 PM
Stupid suggestion, but there's a prestige class in Dragon Magazine that goes the other way. Tainted, it's called, I can PM you the details if you'd like. Basically, start with some non-evil character, a hellcat possesses him/her, and over ten levels the person gains hellcat like abilities. If you need evil, the possessing hellcat wins the struggle with the character, and the character becomes LE.

Thurbane
2011-07-15, 11:04 PM
Stupid suggestion, but there's a prestige class in Dragon Magazine that goes the other way. Tainted, it's called, I can PM you the details if you'd like. Basically, start with some non-evil character, a hellcat possesses him/her, and over ten levels the person gains hellcat like abilities. If you need evil, the possessing hellcat wins the struggle with the character, and the character becomes LE.
Interesting...but not really what I am trying to do. Thanks for the suggestion though.

NineThePuma
2011-07-15, 11:08 PM
Just so you know, this thread inspired a Half-Fiend WereHellcat Tiefling Shifter Ninja as a boss in my upcoming campaign.

ImperatorK
2011-07-15, 11:17 PM
One level of Wizard or two levels of Bard plus one level of Fiend of Corruption.
Only 2-3 levels to get the ability to change into humanoids at will.
You're welcome. :smallwink:

Thurbane
2011-07-15, 11:53 PM
One level of Wizard or two levels of Bard plus one level of Fiend of Corruption.
Only 2-3 levels to get the ability to change into humanoids at will.
You're welcome. :smallwink:
That's a solid option, thanks. :smallwink: