PDA

View Full Version : Winnie the Pooh

enigmatime
2011-07-14, 09:38 PM
Alright, it must be said: I am excited for a movie that is coming out tomorrow. That movie is NOT HP: TDH P2. No, it is Winnie the Pooh. I am not afraid to say it, I still love it. They are some of the most read books of my childhood. Anyone else agree and is going to see it? Sure, may seem childish, but so is My Little Pony (I love that show). Ha, people might get mad. I do like the HP *books* but only the first three movies.

Thoughts?

H Birchgrove
2011-07-15, 04:47 AM
I... didn't know there was a new Pooh film out there. Is it in "traditional" animation?

Tirian
2011-07-15, 06:49 AM
Great, now we're rebooting Winnie the Pooh.

Just watched a few clips (http://youtu.be/2Tscwm1zWBI), and it's totally charming. At the same time, they recast enough of the voices that the entire thing feels eerie to me.

Killer Angel
2011-07-15, 06:50 AM
Thoughts?

I'm not excited, but you can be sure that, sooner or later, I will see it and I will be pleased. :smallwink:

enigmatime
2011-07-15, 10:53 AM
Yeah, it's animated. I have no clue what it's about, I just saw the end part of a commercial and saw the date. I was like, "Bleep (I actually said bleep...) please, I'm so going to that." Last night, I watched The Tigger Movie. Honestly, I laughed and cried. After that, I found my Winnie the Pooh chapter book. Read through half of it. As you can see, rather excited. I actually got people to go with me for a showing today.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-15, 10:59 AM
Hollywood didn't try to make Winnie The Pooh Darker And Edgier? Color me amazed.

Elder Tsofu
2011-07-15, 11:09 AM
Thanks for letting me know there was a new film on its way - and it turns out that it is not even in 3D! :smallbiggrin:

I do agree with Tirian, it seem adorable - although it sounds strange to me due to that fact that I'm used to the characters speaking in Swedish. ^^

Pokonic
2011-07-15, 11:11 AM
Hollywood didn't try to make Winnie The Pooh Darker And Edgier? Color me amazed.
Lets face it, everyone would know they have run out ideas if they made winnie the pooh Darker And Edgier. Also, the only time I would ever see a live action version of winne the pooh is that it is directed by Guillermo Del Toro.:smallwink:

Traab
2011-07-15, 11:32 AM
Winnie all dressed in a muscle shirt, with a 40 ounce bottle of honey in one fist, the leash around the neck of his slave boy piglet in the other. A weary eyed Kanga smoking a cigarette on a street corner, making offers to passers by so she can buy a meal for her autistic son Roo. Tigger scrambling madly trying to score another line of cocaine. Eeyore sitting in his apartment trying to decide between a pill overdose or a long drop and a short stop.

CrimsonAngel
2011-07-15, 12:04 PM
My name is Christopher Robin. :smallbiggrin: I'm so going to see this movie tons of times.

thompur
2011-07-15, 12:05 PM
Winnie all dressed in a muscle shirt, with a 40 ounce bottle of honey in one fist, the leash around the neck of his slave boy piglet in the other. A weary eyed Kanga smoking a cigarette on a street corner, making offers to passers by so she can buy a meal for her autistic son Roo. Tigger scrambling madly trying to score another line of cocaine. Eeyore sitting in his apartment trying to decide between a pill overdose or a long drop and a short stop.

Traab, you're a sick, twisted troll. :smallwink:

Tirian
2011-07-15, 12:41 PM
I don't need to see that done to Winnie the Pooh. I already have Weapon Brown (http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/2008/04/07/weapon-brown-1/) to occupy me.

The Glyphstone
2011-07-15, 01:00 PM

What about Owl? The bitter, senile, cripple in a rocking chair, torn between ranting about how good it was back in his day and terrible flashbacks to The War?

Traab
2011-07-15, 01:08 PM
What about Owl? The bitter, senile, cripple in a rocking chair, torn between ranting about how good it was back in his day and terrible flashbacks to The War?

Rabbit is the broken down old man sitting in his rocking chair with a shotgun in his hands, waiting to blast that damn crack head tigger if he walks onto his property one more time.

Christopher Robin, the poor boy locked in an insane asylum, trapped in a permanent lsd trip of anthropomorphic animals and the "adventures" they go on.

TheEmerged
2011-07-15, 01:26 PM
Not all remakes have to be edgy/dark.

See For Reference (http://www.jameshance.com/wookiee-the-chew.html).

JadedDM
2011-07-15, 02:48 PM
I'm going. Winnie the Pooh is my childhood. Before TMNT, before Transformers, before Fraggle Rock, there was Winnie the Pooh.

enigmatime
2011-07-15, 06:27 PM
"Christopher Robin has aged a great many years since his last adventure. He now lives in an old folks home. When his grandchild comes to visit, he is reminded of himself as a child. So full of wonder, curiousity, and energy. He is inspired. He goes back to his room to find his old stuffed bear, Edward Bear (Winnie-the-Pooh to his friends). Pooh has become tattered since he was a child, but he could still the love in its seams. Christopher hugs his old bear, a heartwarming moment. He goes to look for his other childhood toys. When he finds them, he goes further and further in to insanity. When he has a flashback, the scenery becomes animated and he relives the adventure in his mind. Every so often, he is interrupted by one of the caretakers for mealtime but he never goes. After one adventure, it goes back to reality and you find him in a hospital bed in a coma. The flashbacks are more vivid now. As the movie comes to a close, a great light shines in his room. He opens his eyes, but from his body, out steps the animated Christopher Robin along with all of his animated friends. Together, they walk slowly in to the light. Loud beeping comes from the vital sensors next to his bed and he flatlines. The credits roll, the background music is the original theme song, except in F minor and slower.
Fin."
-John Smith (friend from school, fake name)

I kind of like this idea...

Edit: I'm glad this is the comment that turned me in to an Orc.

Pokonic
2011-07-15, 06:34 PM
Lets face it,when we are all thinking of ways to make winnie the pooh Grimdark, we are all horriable,horriable people. And I wouldnt have it any other way.

Traab
2011-07-15, 06:46 PM
Lets face it,when we are all thinking of ways to make winnie the pooh Grimdark, we are all horriable,horriable people. And I wouldnt have it any other way.

Pfft, we dont HAVE to try to make winnie grimdark, that whole series is chock full of some pretty horrible subtext. The entire cast suffers from a variety of psychological disorders. Eeyore alone is on the razors edge. I think its only the fact that it would take him a month to climb to a high enough point to jump off of that has kept him with us all these years. Pooh seems to be suffering from ocd centered around his honey, and im pretty sure he is at least mildly retarded. Tigger..... yeah.

enigmatime
2011-07-15, 06:53 PM
Kanga is probably the most sane. Then again, Roo is a child, so he's pretty normal... Oh, in The Tigger Movie, you find out that Tigger has a sword.

Mando Knight
2011-07-15, 07:15 PM
At the same time, they recast enough of the voices that the entire thing feels eerie to me.

They... they got rid of Peter Cullen as Eeyore! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Jtt2BVMLU) It's official. They no longer have The Touch.

It will go down in the history books. One Eeyore shall stand, and one shall fall. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBUAG6Gy-to)

Reverent-One
2011-07-15, 07:22 PM
They... they got rid of Peter Cullen as Eeyore! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0Jtt2BVMLU) It's official. They no longer have The Touch.

Or Peter Cullen was too busy with Dark of the Moon.

Pokonic
2011-07-15, 07:32 PM
Pfft, we dont HAVE to try to make winnie grimdark, that whole series is chock full of some pretty horrible subtext. The entire cast suffers from a variety of psychological disorders. Eeyore alone is on the razors edge. I think its only the fact that it would take him a month to climb to a high enough point to jump off of that has kept him with us all these years. Pooh seems to be suffering from ocd centered around his honey, and im pretty sure he is at least mildly retarded. Tigger..... yeah.
Huh, your right, I guess. Eeyore is actually the most sane one, as he knows it only a matter of time before Pooh has a major honey shortage and picks off the animals one by one, like a true bear. Eyore is the last surviver of the last culling, and he is so depressed because he is the last of his original group left. The reason there are so few other animals in the area besides themselves is because it is a place that the animals in the surrounding woods to drop off the insane,the runts,and the outsiders to the mercy of the eccentric bear tht is the true power in the forest. The Heffalumps are a mass histeria of sorts that was first spread by none other than owl, who is a warden of sorts to keep all the residents of the area inside the woods,and his persona as a wiseman was cultivated for the areas residents to trust him.

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-15, 08:50 PM
Or Peter Cullen was too busy with Dark of the Moon.

History will not vindicate him. :smalltongue:

Marillion
2011-07-16, 02:03 AM
Well...this thread went somewhere dark very quickly.

I saw the movie today. It was great. I went in expecting to be charmed by nostalgia; I did not expect to be laughing so hard I shot popcorn out my nose. The animation was lovely, and the facial expressions in particular were hilarious. It didn't do anything new with Pooh; the primary plot is saving Christopher Robin from an imaginary beast created by a complete lack of reading comprehension, and the b-plot is finding/replacing Eeyore's tail. But what it did do, it did masterfully.

And Craig Ferguson was great as Owl. :smallbiggrin: The new voice actors for Eeyore and Rabbit were similarly talented, but I didn't immediately recognize their voice.

Make sure you watch to the end of the credits :smallwink:

Tirian
2011-07-16, 07:14 AM
And Craig Ferguson was great as Owl. :smallbiggrin: The new voice actors for Eeyore and Rabbit were similarly talented, but I didn't immediately recognize their voice.

The guy who did Eeyore was also Rick Dicker (the government agent) in The Incredibles. Knowing that definitely scratched that itchy feeling that I was getting listening to the voice.

Rabbit was voiced by Tom Kenny, who is all over the place. He's Spongebob Squarepants, the Penguin in DCAU, the narrator of the Powerpuff Girls, and a thousand other things. Also, Tom Kenny was also in the Transformers movie, so the story of replacing Peter Cullen probably wasn't as simple as a scheduling conflict.

Mindfreak
2011-07-16, 07:27 AM
My name is Christopher Robin. :smallbiggrin: I'm so going to see this movie tons of times.

Agreed. When everyone else in my family is going to see HP:TDH P2, I'm going to be walking into the Winnie the Poo theater.

TheLaughingMan
2011-07-16, 03:47 PM
Agreed. When everyone else in my family is going to see HP:TDH P2, I'm going to be walking into the Winnie the Poo theater.

Your family would rather watch a license number than Winnie the Pooh? Different strokes, I guess.

enigmatime
2011-07-16, 04:20 PM
The guy who did Eeyore was also Rick Dicker (the government agent) in The Incredibles. Knowing that definitely scratched that itchy feeling that I was getting listening to the voice.

That's where I knew his voice from!

Also, I'm pretty sure the guy that did Avenue Q did something WtP...

Ravens_cry
2011-07-16, 05:40 PM
Well, it looks like its traditonal animation, which is nice. Don't get me wrong, I like CGI, but I don't like 'faking' cel animation with cel shading. Still, compared to much of Disneys works, they have lost some of the fluidity they once had, it feels a bit flat.
Still, this is an artform I enjoy, one I think that deserves more attention, so I might see it, at least on DVD.

WhiteHarness
2011-07-17, 11:33 AM
It's mind-boggling to read the comments on those new Pooh YouTube videos in which it's pointed out that the narrator is John Cleese. It seems that all he's known for among the under-30 crowd is his minor role in the Harry Potter films. I'm floored...

Also: You kids get off my lawn!

:smalltongue:

Traab
2011-07-17, 11:44 AM
It's mind-boggling to read the comments on those new Pooh YouTube videos in which it's pointed out that the narrator is John Cleese. It seems that all he's known for among the under-30 crowd is his minor role in the Harry Potter films. I'm floored...

Also: You kids get off my lawn!

John Cleese? Wasnt that the fat guy in The Great Outdoors? And the polka guy from Home Alone?

Im kidding, please dont kill me. Its bad enough that my parrot is no more,I dont want to die too.

Fjolnir
2011-07-17, 12:41 PM
He was also the new "Q" for the last set of James Bond films starring Pierce Bronsnan when Desmond Llewelyn retired from the role, appearing along side Desmond in "The World is Not Enough" and alone in "Die Another Day"

Tirian
2011-07-17, 12:55 PM
Meh, those kids are in for a treat when they get to college and someone has access to DVDs of MPFC, just like my generation learned about Tom Lehrer and Edward Gorey.

Traab
2011-07-17, 01:15 PM
Meh, those kids are in for a treat when they get to college and someone has access to DVDs of MPFC, just like my generation learned about Tom Lehrer and Edward Gorey.

Meh, it might be better if they get someone knowledgeable to go through youtube and pick out the highlight reels. A lot of those skits are very british and unless you live there its doubtful you will get the references to famous british people from the 70s. Id imagine its like watching the original saturday night live sketches. Yeah chevy chase and all the rest are hilarious, hell most of them are freaking cultural icons of their time when it comes to comedy, but they reference stuff that noone under the age of 40 is likely to remember so the jokes are a bit flat. But like in monty python, if you have a skilled you tube searcher, you can pull out some of the funnier sketches, like when chevy chase gave richard pryor a job interview and played word association.

CrimsonAngel
2011-07-17, 01:52 PM
My name is Christopher Robin.

Christopher Robin, the poor boy locked in an insane asylum, trapped in a permanent lsd trip of anthropomorphic animals and the "adventures" they go on.

Really? :smallannoyed:

Traab
2011-07-17, 01:55 PM
Really? :smallannoyed:

/points to their respective portraits

You telling me that thinking I look like that and you look like that ISNT evidence of a bad acid trip? You think you are on a computer right now? Do you think thats air you are breathing? Opps, sorry, went all matrix for a second there. :smallbiggrin: