PDA

View Full Version : Making a character who fights with his feet

danzibr
2011-07-14, 11:24 PM
I was wondering how this would work. I know a Monk supposedly fights with all parts of their body, but I think of them mainly fighting with their fists. Are there any specific classes or PrCs or feats where a character fights with their feet?

I mean kicking of course. Not like wielding a sword between your toes or something.

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-14, 11:31 PM
Well, a monk does this RAW just fine. The only kick based PrC I've heard of is 3.0 and Third Party, so that does little people good.

VarianArdell
2011-07-14, 11:48 PM
1: play a monk.
2: take Snap Kick.
3: ????
4: PROFIT!!!

Seerow
2011-07-15, 12:13 AM
To be clear, by "Monk" the above posters mean "Unarmed Swordsage" or "Tashalatora Monk/Psion or Psiwar". People on this forum don't actually recommend Monk for much of anything.

NecroRick
2011-07-15, 12:19 AM
Over and above your actual unarmed damage:

Flying Kick >> Snap Kick
for +1d12 when charging
also:

Rhinoceros Tribe Charge
for +2d6 when charging

Powerful Charge
+ Greater Powerful Charge
for +2d6 (more if you play silly sizing tricks (it'd be +6d6 if you went up three sizes))

At that point you might as well take Cleave, and kill two with one blow :D

(Actually, the last two only apply once during a charge, even if you can make multiple attacks, but hey)

Neraph Charge
to deny opponent their dexterity bonus. (Emphasised because this triggers certain other things like sudden strike(?) - anyway, this allows you to 'sneak' attack them to the face with your foot)

Fleet of Foot
Hey, it's a foot feat? Also, allows you to put a bend in your charge

-----

Ninjas are grossly overated - seriously, how hard is it to break in to a house with paper walls??? The only legendary thing about the lot of them is their marketing!

NecroRick
2011-07-15, 12:21 AM
To be clear, by "Monk" the above posters mean "Unarmed Swordsage" or "Tashalatora Monk/Psion or Psiwar". People on this forum don't actually recommend Monk for much of anything.

Two levels of Monk gives you about 7 free feats. And evasion. And kick ass [sic] saves. If you actually want to get into a monk-ish prestige class it's hard to beat 2 levels of monk.

danzibr
2011-07-15, 12:22 AM
this allows you to 'sneak' attack them to the face with your foot
Oh I want to make a new character now...

marcielle
2011-07-15, 12:25 AM
If you REALLY want to be feet centric, 6 levels of Monk(no more than that) and go PsyWarrior or Ardent for the rest. Remember to take the Tashalatora feat and to grab expansion ASAP. Get a necklace of natural attack to enchant your unarmed attacks.

Keld Denar
2011-07-15, 12:32 AM
Learn Tai Kwon Leap (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8VD4JXUozM).
Boot to the head!

Rixx
2011-07-15, 01:06 AM

I recommend monk for people who want to play as monks.

Then again, I play Pathfinder, a game where monks are not terrible.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-15, 05:08 AM
I recommend monk for people who want to play as monks.

Not familiar with Pathfinder, but in 3.5, you take one, two, or maybe six levels of monk, because anything beyond that gives you a bunch of crappy abilities that you can't use often enough, and some minor plusses.

Kumori
2011-07-15, 05:35 AM
This Tashalatora feat is new to me... what book is it in?

LordBlades
2011-07-15, 05:38 AM
This Tashalatora feat is new to me... what book is it in?

Secrets of Sarlona.

Kumori
2011-07-15, 05:45 AM
Secrets of Sarlona.

:smallsigh: I don't have that one... I'll have to see if I can dig it up.

Raven Helcat
2011-07-15, 07:12 AM
Kingdoms of Kalamar: Stealth & Style (Has the D&D logo, so it counts!)

Iron Legs feat p.65 Doubles you Str bonus with kicks... i.e. Str20 character kicks for +10 damage instead of 5.....not bad. Requires Improved Unarmed Strike.

Barstro
2011-07-15, 09:50 AM
this allows you to 'sneak' attack them to the face with your foot)

If the joke hadn't already been done to death in OotS, I'd love to see this one.

"Sneak Attack to the face with my foot!"

Everyone stands around in awe about how awesome (by definition) that attack was.

Next time, he gets AoO to death because his battlecry is too damn long.

Remember, kids, acronyms can save your life.

Vent Reynolt
2011-07-15, 10:11 AM
-snip-
Remember, kids, acronyms can save your life.

SATTFWMF? sounds a bit more like the sound effect for the attack than the attack itself. :smalltongue:

Razgriez
2011-07-15, 10:27 AM
Oriental Adventures, also provides a number of Kick related feats, one of which converts easily no matter whether it's 3.0 or 3.5.

It's called "Roundabout Kick"

It's effect? Every time you score a successful Critical hit with an unarmed attack, you get a bonus attack done at the same base attack bonus as the Critical hit. It should also be noted, that their is no limit to this ability. Combine this with something that improves critical threat range, and watch the carnage that ensues

Yes, that does mean, it is indeed plausible for a Monk/unarmed combat focused class to have an unending chain of attacks, simply by rolling extremely good. That said, seeing as how it relies entirely on scoring Critical hits (not threats), Your Mileage May Vary

Keld Denar
2011-07-15, 10:29 AM

Its already been shortened. Check the link I linked.

Boot to the head!

Swooper
2011-07-15, 11:30 AM
Wait, what? Pathfinder fixed none of the problems with monks as far as I can tell. :smallconfused:

@NecroRick: Play an orc or a half-orc and add Headlong Rush (http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featbox.pl?feat=Headlong_Rush) to that for more charge-y goodness. :smallbiggrin:

marcielle
2011-07-15, 09:50 PM
No need for the book, Tashalatora is in an online excerpt(sorta). http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5

ericgrau
2011-07-15, 09:52 PM
Wait, what? Pathfinder fixed none of the problems with monks as far as I can tell. :smallconfused:
Shhh, don't ruin it for him. As they don't have very many splatbooks yet PF creates a more casual setting where monks can be more effective. At least so far. Though monks did get a bit of a boost, especially on combat maneuvers. I know someone who likes to play monks in our casual games in 3.5 and now he has a PF zen archer monk. They get a lot of shots and trick arrows to play with. Making trip attempts against 3 foes per round at low level at range gets pretty nuts.

Kaeso
2011-07-16, 10:44 AM

Don't forget sacred and enlightened fist, IMHO those are pretty good PrC's that give you the monk feel without the suckage.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-16, 12:18 PM
Don't forget sacred and enlightened fist, IMHO those are pretty good PrC's that give you the monk feel without the suckage.

Once again proving that the best Monk builds have as few levels of the actual Monk class as possible.

Frozen_Feet
2011-07-16, 12:34 PM
Psionic Fist isn't half bad either, if Tashalatora gets vetoed.