PDA

View Full Version : GitP NPC Contest I (Chat Thread)

Agrippa
2011-07-15, 02:13 AM
This is the official chat thread for Giant in the Playground's first NPC contest (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=207418). All new questions and comments should be directed to this thread.

DracoDei
2011-07-15, 11:56 AM
This message didn't post the first time I tried, and now (due to outside events) I am in a bad mood so this will be terse.

You have a repeated sentence at the end of requirement 6.

Requiring a specific source of inspiration seems a pointless and creativity limiting requirement.

Explain the PF feat rules or post a link to the part of the PF SRD that covers them. This will get you a lot more entries.

Welknair
2011-07-15, 01:52 PM
Since this is an "NPC" contest, does that mean that only NPC classes may be used? :smallconfused:
Or is it just a build challenge in an attempt to build up a repertoire of NPCs?
Is any homebrew allowed? If not, wouldn't this go in Roleplaying Games, not homebrew?

Agrippa
2011-07-15, 04:07 PM
Since this is an "NPC" contest, does that mean that only NPC classes may be used? :smallconfused:
Or is it just a build challenge in an attempt to build up a repertoire of NPCs?
Is any homebrew allowed? If not, wouldn't this go in Roleplaying Games, not homebrew?

This is a challenge to build up NPCs using PC classes. And yes homebrew is allowed. Also prestige classes treated as continuations of the qualifying base class instead of different classes themselves. I'll explain it better later.

Agrippa
2011-07-15, 04:11 PM
Requiring a specific source of inspiration seems a pointless and creativity limiting requirement.

Even is the contestant decides what to use for inspiration?

Explain the PF feat rules or post a link to the part of the PF SRD that covers them. This will get you a lot more entries.

By PF feat progression I mean one feat every two levels instead of every three.

DracoDei
2011-07-15, 05:11 PM
Even is the contestant decides what to use for inspiration?
Yes. I have entered several contests (mostly VT's monster contests) on these boards over the years, and for most of them I had no external inspiration except the contest description itself. There were some exceptions I could list, but for the most part I come up with very original stuff. Not to say that the stuff that was sparked by (or in one case out and out translated from) an external source is any worse, but it would be a noticable constriction of my creativity to have to have an external source.

By PF feat progression I mean one feat every two levels instead of every three.
Might be good to say that in the contest thread for the benefit of people who don't read this one before deciding whether to enter or not.

Welknair
2011-07-15, 05:16 PM
I was considering entering until I read the multiclassing stuff. Sorry, but if I'm going to make a build for a contest I'd prefer to use the standard means of doing so. Were I to try using said multiclassing system I'd probably screw it up somehow and in any case I have absolutely no experience with it.

Agrippa
2011-07-15, 06:10 PM
I was considering entering until I read the multiclassing stuff. Sorry, but if I'm going to make a build for a contest I'd prefer to use the standard means of doing so. Were I to try using said multiclassing system I'd probably screw it up somehow and in any case I have absolutely no experience with it.

Ah, just wonderful. Well if you do change your mind I can give some help with my multiclassing system so you don't screw up. But that's fine if you don't want to join.