PDA

View Full Version : Give me an odd Gestalt combination!

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 02:18 AM
Hey all :)

I'm spending my time until the game kicks off again coming up with new character ideas for this Gestalt game that I'm in (in case my current one kicks the bucket). So, I challenge people to throw unusual, workable from lvl 3-10, Gestalt combinations at me :).
Not looking for overpowered or rorty combinations, just combinations of classes that you wouldn't normally see.

Note: No Arcane or Divine spellcasting class allowed, Psionics, Artificer etc are Ok

*.*.*.*
2011-07-15, 02:19 AM
Warlock//Spell less ranger

=D

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 02:23 AM
Warlock//Spell less ranger

=D

.... either you're playing in my current game or this is a very amusing coincidence...

squeekenator
2011-07-15, 02:34 AM
Wait what? All casters are banned but artificers are fine? I'm so confused. Anyways, spellless paladin/rogue could be interesting. You sneakily kill people in the name of goodness and honour, and a rogue with d10 hit dice and good Fort saves and BAB is nice.

*.*.*.*
2011-07-15, 02:37 AM
.... either you're playing in my current game or this is a very amusing coincidence...

I wish I was playing in a gestalt game :smallfrown:

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 02:37 AM
Wait what? All casters are banned but artificers are fine? I'm so confused.

It's a special circumstance of the campaign :). A bomb has gone off that cuts all divine & arcane casters in the Kingdom off from their source of power (basically a combined Dead Magic Zone & permanent Violet Rain).
So alternate casters work, but the most common ones are a bit SoL :)

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 02:40 AM
I wish I was playing in a gestalt game :smallfrown:

Ah, one of the players in my lvl 20 Gestalt campaign is a Hellfire Warlock/Ranger/Beastmaster mounted on a Raptor and rocking an Eldrich Glaive capable of one-shotting dragons :) (and come to think of it could drop the Big T in two rounds from raw damage)

Iferus
2011-07-15, 02:43 AM
Marshal//Swashbuckler

That's odd and magicless, right? Progress into Daring Outlaw and/or find a PrC after Marshal 7.

Or for some more synergy, you could combine any two of Knight, Paladin, Marshal, Crusader.

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-15, 02:47 AM
bard/paladin (odd, yes similar enough stats to pull of.), rogue/paladin as mentioned. paladin/warlock, barbarian/warlock (congrats you have a spellcaster with damage reduction and the biggest HD around...), rogue/dread necromancer, rogue/barbarian (grants that is a potentially quite powerful combination right there, the rogue skills don't get shut down by armor and you get a barbarian with sneak attack and rage.... and a few other goodies of course.).

Also Druid/anything could be fun if you're allowed druids.

gorfnab
2011-07-15, 02:52 AM
Given the circumstances of your campaign the obvious OP combos would be:
Binder // Warlock
Artificer // Warblade
Factotum // Warblade
Factotum // Artificer
Psion or Erudite // Warblade
Psion or Erudite // Factotum
Psion or Erudite // Artificer or Psionic Artificer

Now for the Odd but potentially useful combos:
Dragon Shaman // Crusader
Binder // Crusader
Wilder // Crusader
Swordsage // Spell-less Wildshape Ranger/ Master or Many Forms/ Warshaper
Pyschic Warrior // Spell-less Wildshape Ranger/ Master or Many Forms/ Warshaper
Swordsage // Swift Hunter

This one is just for fun, sort of. I was planning to use it in a gestalt game that did not get off the ground. Not the the most OP but still quite amusing.

Human
1. Warblade/ Cobra Strike Monk - Camendine Monk, Combat Expertise, B: Dodge
2. Warblade/ Cobra Strike Monk - B: Mobility
3. Warblade/ Swashbuckler - EWP Broadblade Shortword (pre-errata version) B: Weapon Finesse
4. Warblade/ Swashbuckler
5. Warblade/ Swashbuckler - B: Ironheart Aura
6. Warblade/ Thief Acrobat - Deadly Defense
7. Warblade/ Thief Acrobat
8. Warblade/ Thief Acrobat
9. Warblade/ Thief Acrobat - Einhander, B: Combat Reflexes
10. Warblade/ Thief Acrobat
11. Warblade/ Duelist
12. Warblade/ Duelist - Stormguard Warrior
13. Warblade/ Duelist - B: Improved Initiative
14. Warblade/ Duelist
15. Warblade/ Duelist - Robilar's Gambit
16. Warblade/ Duelist
17. Warblade/ Duelist - B: Iron Will
18. Warblade/ Duelist - Karmic Strike, Improved Combat Expertise, or Snap Kick
19. Warblade/ Duelist - B: Deflect Arrows
20. Warblade/ Duelist

Cespenar
2011-07-15, 02:54 AM
Scout/Ranger//Soulknife/Soulbow?

Rogue//Psion/Elocater?

Scout/Ranger/Dervish//Psychic Warrior/War Mind?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-15, 02:56 AM
With no arcane/divine, I'd recommend an Egoist with the True Healer ACF (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070314a) to gain the Life mantle at 5th level, which will give you access to powers useful for healing your allies. Sangehirn (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625c) is also useful for healing/buffing allies, but your choices for powers known from it are severely limited. You could actually go something like Egoist 20// Wilder 6/ Sangehirn 10/ anything 4, and still pick any Egoist powers you want and be an amazing healer, buffer, and offensive caster, but that's a bit MAD.

I'd probably go Psion (Telepath or Kineticist)//Ranger, with the Wild Shape Ranger (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#ranger) variant in UA and the no spellcasting variant in CW. Go Egoist 20// Ranger 5/ Master of Many Forms 7/ Warshaper 4/ Ranger +1/ MoMF +3, with Psicrystal Affinity (which grants Alertness), Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Speed of Thought, Leap Attack, Frozen Wild Shape, Expanded Knowledge: Control Body or Schism, Robilar's Gambit, Overchannel, Talented, Defensive Sweep, and Psionic Meditation.

Wild Shape into a Fleshraker dinosaur (MM3), Cave Troll (MM3), Cryohydra, or War Troll (MM3). All but the last one can full attack on a charge, so Power Attack and Leap Attack will get a lot of mileage. In the lower levels you have Power Attack and Combat Reflexes, so use a Glaive and get Energy Stun.

At level ten you'll be able to manifest Schism, manifest Control Body on yourself while your Schism buffs you, and manifest Solicit Psicrystal to put the Psicrystal in charge of Control Body. On the following rounds your Psicrystal can control your character's physical actions to make you attack, leaving your mind and your schism's actions free to continue manifesting more powers.

IthroZada
2011-07-15, 04:00 AM
Warlock//Psychic Warrior.

Bam. Superhero. (A bit MAD)

Amphetryon
2011-07-15, 06:08 AM
Dragon Shaman//Totemist. Make CON your most important stat even more clearly.

kestrel404
2011-07-15, 06:13 AM
Factotum//Totemist. You can be a factotemist. (I've played this before, it's not bad).

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 06:29 AM
Dragonwrought Kobold Paladin//Erudite.

A bit MAD. Spell-less paladin, obviously. I'd ask the DM if you could use the Pathfinder Paladin class for it, then simply go for whatever Archetype eschews spellcasting.

Eloel
2011-07-15, 06:37 AM
Monk//Truenamer. So you can suck while you suck.

Soulknife/Psychic Warrior/Soulbow//Scout

I'm pretty sure there's some level-wise combination of the above that works as I think it should. (Hustle, Rapid Shot, Skirmish)

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 06:39 AM

Soulknife/Psychic Warrior/Soulbow//Scout

I'm pretty sure there's some level-wise combination of the above that works as I think it should. (Hustle, Rapid Shot, Skirmish)I can one-up you on that! Samurai//Truenamer is clearly odder and clearly suckier! :smallbiggrin:

Eloel
2011-07-15, 06:41 AM
I can one-up you on that! Samurai//Truenamer is clearly odder and clearly suckier! :smallbiggrin:

Samurai//Monk.
All your lose are belong to us.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 07:06 AM
Samurai Monk it is!!
I accept your challenge and shall make it viable! :D

... or kill the character trying...

Cespenar
2011-07-15, 07:19 AM
Samurai Monk it is!!

... or kill the character trying...

Samurai has already been optimized, an intimidate-focused build. Monk doesn't really add anything to that, but have at it.

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 07:31 AM
Samurai//Monk.
All your lose are belong to us.I still say that Truenamer is by far worse than Monk. It is so bad and so broken that it's specifically discarded from the tier list on grounds of simply not working. I also maintain that it is odder, on the grounds that Samurai and Monk are both oriental-inspired classes in the same vein of martial perfection, centered around similar oriental philosophies! :smallbiggrin:

Samurai Monk it is!!

... or kill the character trying...Odds are that it's going to be the latter. But have at it. I think it sounds awesome, especially since you'll have a hard time getting their class features to mesh well. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2011-07-15, 07:34 AM
Binder/Paladin. Paladin/Necromancer. Knight/Artificer. Psion/Ranger.

Kittenwolf
2011-07-15, 07:48 AM
Odds are that it's going to be the latter. But have at it. I think it sounds awesome, especially since you'll have a hard time getting their class features to mesh well. :smalltongue:

Hrm.. feat to make a Katana be treated as a Monk weapon, take the Decisive Strike class feature & Iajutsu Focus, full power attack.. that'd be a pretty nasty hit...

Aha! Maybe we're going about this the wrong way! Take the above, Cleave, Great Cleave, Adamantine Katana, stick him in a foresest and call him the Lumberjack :)

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 07:48 AM
Two more that came to me while skimming through the thread:
A Aasimar Warlock//Paladin! Make a pact with a Archon instead of the traditional Baatezu! Refluff and revamp class features and spells as needed! Beat enemies to death with rainbows!

A Kobold Urban Ranger//Artificer! The quintessential clockwork trapper, capturing considerable quantities of craven and cowardly criminals cowering in the county!

Hrm.. feat to make a Katana be treated as a Monk weapon, take the Decisive Strike class feature & Iajutsu Focus, full power attack.. that'd be a pretty nasty hit...

Aha! Maybe we're going about this the wrong way! Take the above, Cleave, Great Cleave, Adamantine Katana, stick him in a forest and call him the Lumberjack :)There's a feat to treat a Katana as a Monk weapon? Then it may not be half bad. I mean, at least better. It's still horrible (but in a good way!).

Otherwise, just ask if you can't take a two-headed Axe instead of Katana. Say that it's "to realize a character concept". :smallbiggrin:

Person_Man
2011-07-15, 08:10 AM
Binder//Incarnate is quite strong, especially at ECL 3-9ish.

For example, starting at level 3, lets say you bind Dahlver-Nar vestige, and shape the Necrocarnum Circlet, Mantle of Flame, and Astral Vembraces soulmelds. You bind your Necrocarnum Circlet to your Crown chakra, which gives you an infinitely replacable Necrocarnum Zombie (which is a lot better then a normal Zombie). Dahlver-Nar gives you the all day Shield Self ability, which transfers 50% of the damage you take to another subject (Will negates). You put it on your Zombie, basically giving you 50% more hit points. Then on the first round or two of combat you switch Shield Self over to the most powerful enemy, or just hack away if they're mooks. Astral Vembraces gives you DR 6/magic, and Mantle of Flame inflicts deals 3d6 Fire damage on your enemies whenever they hit you, so you're basically the most powerful available tank of your ECL in the game.

Each turn your zombie attacks, you attack, and anyone trying to attack you takes massive damage. If your zombie dies, you can replace him from the corpses of your enemies for free in 1 round.

Kansaschaser
2011-07-15, 09:58 AM

LOL :smallbiggrin:

I couldn't stop laughing at this comment. That was way too funny.

I would suggest a Warblade/Incarnate or a Swordsage/Incarnate. They are "casterless" and both have interesting abilities that can change from day to day.

Urpriest
2011-07-15, 10:05 AM
While it gets suggested a lot, Incarnate//Crusader is cool for the "I AM THE LAW" angle.

Psyren
2011-07-15, 10:23 AM
Warlock//Psychic Warrior.

Bam. Superhero. (A bit MAD)

Or Binder//Warlock - which actually needs no stats at all. (Flavor synergy is fantastic.)

Urpriest
2011-07-15, 10:25 AM
Or Binder//Warlock - which actually needs no stats at all. (Flavor synergy is fantastic.)

THERE IS NO FLAVOR SYNERGY BETWEEN BINDER AND WARLOCK

I don't want to derail, so I won't say anything more on the subject. Just occasionally feel the need to say that.

Psyren
2011-07-15, 10:29 AM

"Long ago, they (or in some cases, their ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for supernatural power."

Which one of the two does this not apply to? :smalltongue:

mootoall
2011-07-15, 11:28 AM
Dragon Shaman 7/Anything Else X//DFA X.

So you can emulate dragons while emulating dragons.

kestrel404
2011-07-15, 11:55 AM
Dragon Shaman 7/Anything Else X//DFA X.

So you can emulate dragons while emulating dragons.

...Why 7? I can see 1,4,5,6,9,10,11,12,14 & 19 as good stopping points for a dragon shaman, but 7 just gets you 1 point of natural armor...

Celebrochan
2011-07-15, 12:32 PM
Sword Sage (ToB) / Rogue = Ultimate Ninja!

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 12:37 PM

I don't want to derail, so I won't say anything more on the subject. Just occasionally feel the need to say that.
"Long ago, they (or in some cases, their ancestors) forged grim pacts with dangerous extraplanar powers, trading portions of their souls in exchange for supernatural power."

Which one of the two does this not apply to? :smalltongue:

Wouldn't what we're looking for, anyway, be a distinct lack of traditional flavor synergy? That's at least what constitutes "odd" to me. :smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-07-15, 01:12 PM
Wouldn't what we're looking for, anyway, be a distinct lack of traditional flavor synergy? That's at least what constitutes "odd" to me. :smalltongue:

Binders are inherently odd :smallwink: (Particularly the ones that make bad pacts.)

The Glyphstone
2011-07-15, 01:16 PM
Samurai (CW)//Samurai (OA). Most Samurai-esque Samurai ever!

Take the Ancestral Relic feat, of course, so both your katana and washizaki remain easily enchanted.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-15, 03:26 PM
Cleric//rogue could lead to interesting results and is something the rules don't otherwise cover well.
This is what I love about gestalt; it makes a lot of ideas that would be unfocused and weakened in multiclassing become at the very least viable and often surprisingly synergistic when in gestalt.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-15, 04:01 PM

Take the Ancestral Relic feat, of course, so both your katana and washizaki remain easily enchanted.

OA Samurai gets his enchant weapon ability to both of those already. He could make his sword an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm), though.

On the subject of Samurais, why not go with a Yeti (Frostburn) LA +3/ Monstrous Humanoid 4/ OA Samurai 13// OA Samurai 5/ War Hulk 10/ Survivor 5.

OA Samurai is an excellent lead-in for the X 4/ Sanctified Mind 1/ War Mind 10/ Sanctified Mind 5 build, and you could go Psychic Warrior on the other side of it for double Wis-based manifesting, more powerpoints, and a lot of bonus feats.

If you can start out with your Katana made from psionic crystal (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/specialMaterials.htm#crystalMundane), which shouldn't be difficult since it costs the same anyway, you could go Psychic Weapon Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040827d). Go OA Samurai//Psion 5, then along side Psychic Weapon Master 10 stagger your OA Samurai and Psion levels, so you won't lose any levels of manifesting. Psychic Weapon Master actually gets quite a few abilities that are fitting for a Samurai, and you could actually spend wealth to make your weapon +X via Samurai and also spend XP to give it +Y worth of special abilities via Psychic Weapon Master.

Amphetryon
2011-07-15, 04:34 PM

Make him an Illumian, and he can enchant it himself via the Shadow Sentinel PrC, in addition to the OA Samurai method.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-15, 04:36 PM
Samurai has already been optimized, an intimidate-focused build. Monk doesn't really add anything to that, but have at it.

Actually... monk does bring some things to the table...

First off, in a Gestalt, you can go straight CW Samurai up one side until you hit CW 14, for Improved Mass Staredown, which obviates the need for the Fearful armor. The other side can go Rogue1/Monkx/Exemplar1

Second, Monk brings at least *some* damage to the table. Takahashi's damage output... stank. Yes, even Monk did more damage.

Third, all saves is never a bad thing to have.

Fourth, alternate class features make qualifying for tricks much easier. For example, Overhwelming Attack style grants a +2 on Intimidate checks.

So, Samurai14/Ronin6//Rogue1/Monk12/Exemplar1/PsyWar6

With PsyWar, you net Psionic Lion's Pounce, which gives you a full attack on a charge, with Improved Flurry to increase number of attacks, a decent amount of sneak attack damage per hit, and the ability to make everyone around him cower.

Inferno
2011-07-15, 04:45 PM
warlock // wilder cha synergy all the usual warlock fun and can afford to throw some serious novas around. probably pretty feat starved though

warlock // lion totem barbarian glaivelock with pounce, d12hd and full bab.

Kaje
2011-07-16, 09:49 AM
warlock // wilder cha synergy all the usual warlock fun and can afford to throw some serious novas around. probably pretty feat starved though

warlock // lion totem barbarian glaivelock with pounce, d12hd and full bab.

Nope. Glaivelocks can't pounce, as eldritch glaive is a full-round action SLA, not a full attack. You could pounce with eldritch claws, but it's not as good. You could gestalt with an ardent for their swift action teleports though.

mootoall
2011-07-16, 10:21 AM
...Why 7? I can see 1,4,5,6,9,10,11,12,14 & 19 as good stopping points for a dragon shaman, but 7 just gets you 1 point of natural armor...

Whoops. I meant whichever level gave you energy immunity.

HunterOfJello
2011-07-16, 10:55 AM
Barbarian//Ninja

Totemist//Paladin

Bard//Wilder

Warblade//Beguiler

Crusader//Sorcerer

Wizard//Incarnate

Binder//Spellthief

Retech
2011-07-16, 01:01 PM
Artificer//Artificer

Congrats, you've just broken the game.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-16, 01:05 PM
Totemist//Spelless Wildshape Ranger/MoMF so you can use natural attacks while you use natural attacks.

Or Lion of Talsid so you get Pounce, fear immunity and some other goodies.

Ksheep
2011-07-16, 01:23 PM
How about Barbarian//Scout?

Combine that with leap attack, and if you leap 10' at your enemies, you double (or triple) power attack damage AND get several extra d6 of damage from Skirmish. Plus, you get an extra 20-30' to your movement speed.

Hunter Killer
2011-07-16, 01:46 PM
Samurai / Hexblade. Not super odd, I suppose, but it's surprisingly decent if you maximize the Hexblade side as an the classic Intimiblade.

Hmm...

Odd (but useful) might be something like a Ninja / Paladin. You'd want to replace the Paladin casting with the Holy Warrior ACF from Complete Champion. I'd also see if the DM would allow used of the Serenity feat for this one...

Serenity
Type: General
Sources: Dragon #306, Dungeon Compendium Vol. 1
Your wisdom, inner calm and sagacity fuels your class abilities rather than your force of personaility or will.
Prerequisite: Divine grace
Benefit: Use your Wisdom bonus in place of your Charisma bonus for purposes of divine grace, lay on hands, smite evil, and turn undead.
Normal: The abilities use your Charisma bonus

Doktor Per
2011-07-16, 01:58 PM
Fighter 2 (Dungeoncrasher!)/ Barbarian 4 / Frenzied Berzerker // Scout is pretty solid, pick up a spiked chain while you're at it.

Sneak Attacking Fighter // Some Psion that gets tons of ray powers and buffs. You're set!

Paladin // Binder is interesting fluffwise, but might get a book thrown at you.

EDIT: Palinder // Binadin is like the definition of John Constantine of Hellblazer fame.

randomhero00
2011-07-16, 02:09 PM
Odd: Barbarian/Binder

"I'm just so enraged! I could go carefully set up a ritual and bind something!"

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-16, 02:44 PM
Warlock//Shadowcaster

You have at-will abilities with Warlock, and some rather handy utility with Shadowcaster.

Dragonsoul
2011-07-16, 03:44 PM
Bard/Barbarian
You use an Axe

Cofniben
2011-07-16, 03:50 PM
Knight/Swashbuckler, the synergies from the class are insane, I had a friend who wasn't gestalting and he had about +6 to skills which he had no ranks in.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-07-16, 04:25 PM
Barbarian//Monk. Be a paragon of natural strength, with the best hit dice, best base attack bonus, and best saves. Lion totem for pounce, whirling frenzy, flurry of blows, two-weapon fighting, and snap kick for the flurry of misses of a lifetime!

Vortling
2011-07-16, 04:48 PM
Not often suggested but neat for the fluff stuff:
Dragonfire Adept//Totemist
With the melds from dragon magic you can be the dragonest dragony dragon you can be! Decent all around combination that gets a lot of fun stuff to do.