PDA

View Full Version : Physical Spell Slots?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-15, 06:23 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to make your spell slots act like a spell book, where you put them into (onto?) the item and they function as normal but in physical form.

Feytalist
2011-07-15, 06:41 AM
Runecasting? Not exactly, but I can't really think of anything else.

Edit: Unless maybe lore gems. But you can't really cast from them so maybe not.

Eloel
2011-07-15, 06:44 AM
The title got me thinking about a Warforged Wizard with body slots with scrolls.
Meh, there's certainly tattoos and runes of some kind.

Also, Geomancer (or Geometer, I'm not sure) has stuff similar to what you're saying, I believe.

Feytalist
2011-07-15, 06:50 AM
The title got me thinking about a Warforged Wizard with body slots with scrolls.
Meh, there's certainly tattoos and runes of some kind.

Also, Geomancer (or Geometer, I'm not sure) has stuff similar to what you're saying, I believe.

Geometer just has a new way of writing into his spellbook, and some casting changes. Nothing about transferring spell slots though. And Geomancer is just a arcane/divine mash up, nothing more.

Actually, you can transfer your slots into your familiar if you really wish. Or item familiar, which could be what you're looking for.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-15, 07:11 AM
Actually, you can transfer your slots into your familiar if you really wish.

And how would one go about doing this?

Luckmann
2011-07-15, 07:35 AM
I was wondering if there was a way to make your spell slots act like a spell book, where you put them into (onto?) the item and they function as normal but in physical form.

I.. I have absolutely no idea what you're asking here. Could you clarify? It seems others are getting it just fine, but I am heartily confuddled.

Feytalist
2011-07-15, 08:00 AM
And how would one go about doing this?

I honestly can't remember. I've tried searching, but I do remember it is possible somehow. Shanghaied imbue with spell-like ability perhaps?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-15, 03:13 PM
I.. I have absolutely no idea what you're asking here. Could you clarify? It seems others are getting it just fine, but I am heartily confuddled.

I am trying to turn my spell slots into tangable things OR get them to be held by something. I essentially am after a spell book (or some such) but instead of holding spells it holds spell slots.

Rogue Shadows
2011-07-15, 03:15 PM
I am trying to turn my spell slots into tangable things OR get them to be held by something. I essentially am after a spell book (or some such) but instead of holding spells it holds spell slots.

Like...this tattoo is for my first prepared 0-level spell, this tattoo is for my second 4th level spell...that kind of thing?

Ravens_cry
2011-07-15, 03:18 PM
You could ask your DM if you could have it so you had to have your spell book in hand in order to cast spells and fluff it so that you are basically reading the incantation from the book. Since,strictly speaking, this is a power down-grade, it makes a wizards spellbook even MORE important to them and also means it must be kept out in open where it can be sundered/burned/stolen, I don't see why not.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-15, 03:23 PM
Don't Immoths do something like this? I do remember that whatever they do is incredibly broken though...

I think there's a spell in LEoF that lets you put a spell into a purple disk or something. It's probably not much different from writing scrolls though.

You can do something like this with a scroll artificer, but that is extremely complicated and apparently unsustainable.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-15, 03:23 PM
Like...this tattoo is for my first prepared 0-level spell, this tattoo is for my second 4th level spell...that kind of thing?

Basically, but tattoo Magic in Complete Arcane is for spells, not spell slots.

Vangor
2011-07-15, 03:36 PM
Create an item based off of pearls of power? I know those reclaim previously memorized spells, but those are in effect open spell slots. Merely requires being able to cast spells of the level of pearl and craft wondrous. Something between physical storage of a spell as in a scroll and reclamation of a slot as with the pearl of power.

0nimaru
2011-07-15, 05:09 PM
It sounds like you're looking for a Ring of Spellstoring, but where the spells stored in it are not predetermined? As in somebody else could pick it up and cast their spells with stored energy?
I've never heard of such a thing in any of the published material.

Addendum: If all you want is the fluff of it, tattooing your body or simply fluffing it so each morning you prepare your spells by scribbling on to some rocks which you keep in your pockets would work. The only time you'd have to pay for an item is if you want to give these rocks to other people or build them up over time as that would be essentially scrolls/potion crafting.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-15, 06:04 PM
Maybe look into Runescarred Berserker? If memory serves they don't cast real spells but rather use runes on their bodies. It could be similar to what you're going for.

Honestly, I would let someone do this with no problems as long as they were the only people able to use the items in question and couldn't stockpile or anything. I would even avoid targeting the slots, since that's not exactly fair when you could have had them be innate.