PDA

View Full Version : Wolfen a ECL+1 Shapechanger race with three subraces

Awun
2011-07-15, 01:57 PM
I originally created this race for a homebrew campaign setting created by Zaydos (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/member.php?u=46720). The territory and deity fluff is specific to that campaign.

Wolfen (Medium,Humanoid(Shapechanger))

Appearance: The Wolfen are a race of anthropomorphic wolves gifted with wings and constantly bathed in flames. Although Wolfen normally remain in a bipedal form comparable in height, mass, and size to a human they also have the capability of reverting to a qudrapedal form comparable in size, weight, and proportions to a wolf. Most Wolfen have gold eyes, but blue, though rare, is not unheard of. In addition, several of the physical and mystical factors inherent to this race are subject to their time of birth. A Wolfen reaches adulthood at around age 16 but are known to live as long as 120 +1d20 years.

Society: Wolfen social structure is composed of connected tribal groups, with the hierarchy of these groups determined by the overall strength of a given group relative to the others. Similarly, within these groups social hierarchy is determined by personal strength in a manner similar to the pack hierarchy in a wolf pack, with strength of personality and physical strength carrying nearly the same weight. When away from their tribal groups Wolfen often travel in mated pairs, or triads composed of friends or mates.

Alignment: The Wolfen as a whole are a vibrant race, with an occasional predisposition for mischief, and they highly value their freedom of movement and action. Furthermore, they rarely act maliciously or cruelly, except to correct an injustice visited against one of their own. Despite their free spirited nature they hold societal hierarchies in high regard, and willing submit to individuals whose strengths would merit such. Wolfen desire for others to respect their territorial boundaries, but they often grant safe passage and aid to any who trespass in their territory as long as they are not active threat. However, Wolfen are not known to keep their guests around for very long.

Territory: Tribes of Wolfen that had been held in captivity by the Beshadowed (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122893), with the permission of the Gryphen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124042), took up residence in the forested and mountainous regions of the Isle of Grian Talamh. However, tribes of Wolfen can be found in many other parts of the world.

Deities:
Tine: Lord of Scintillating Flames, God of Flames
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Domains: Fire, Chaos, Good, Glory, Magic
Minmhí: Goddess of the Beasts of the Land, The Unseen Mother
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Domains: Animals, Law, Protection, Darkness, Moon

• Wolfen base land speed is 40biped/50quadraped feet.

• Medium: As Medium creatures, Wolfen have no special
bonuses or penalties due to their size.

• Wing-Aided Movement: Wolfen can use their wings to
help with movement even if they can’t fly yet. The extra
lift from her wings gives them a +10 racial bonus on
Jump checks.

• Gliding (Ex): A Wolfen can use her wings to glide, negating
damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of
forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. They glide
at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if a
Wolfen’s maneuverability improves, she can’t hover while gliding.
A Wolfen can’t glide while carrying a medium
or heavy load. If a Wolfen becomes unconscious or helpless while
in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments
stiffen the wings. The Wolfen descends in a tight
corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no
matter what the actual distance of the fall.

• Flight (Ex): When a Wolfen reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 50biped/60quadraped feet (average maneuverability). A Wolfen can’t fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Wolfen can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they’re fatigued at the end of the flight. Wolfen are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Wolfen can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Wolfen have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 50biped/60quadraped feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Wolfen with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the Wolfen must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Wolfen can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Wolfen with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.

• Alternate form(Su): All Wolfen are born with the ability to shift between bipedal and quadrupedal forms at will, as well as the ability extend or retract their wings. Changing form requires a standard action.

•In quadrupedal form a Wolfen gains an additional +2 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent. Wolfen in this form also gain the extraordinary ability Trip.

Celestial Alignment: Each Wolfen is born with a unique connection to either the sun or moon. However, there are rare exceptions to this rule.

Sun: Wreathed in flames of gold, red, and white, these Wolfen are known for their strength and daring and posses golden birdlike wings and similarly colored fur.
• +2 Strength, +2 Constitution, –2 Intelligence
• +2 racial bonus on Intimidate
• Fire Aura(Su): The flames produced by Sun Wolfen produce sufficient heat to deal 1d4 fire damage to any thing that they strike with natural or non-ranged weapons plus an additional 1d4 for every fifth level after first (6,11,16,ect). They can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

Moon: Cloaked in flames of midnight blue, black, and silver these Wolfen are known for their strong personalities and an affinity for the Sorcerous arts, have birdlike black wings with silver feathers on the anterior side and blue-black colored fur.
• +2 Charisma, +2 Wisdom
• +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (Arcana)
• Fireblast (Su): While the flames of the Moon Wolfen are no hotter than their own bodies they do have the unique talent of compressing their flames into a discharge of flames projected from their mouths. The line’s length is 5 feet per Hit Die the Wolfen has, up to a maximum of 100 feet at 20 HD. This attack deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 3 HD the Wolfen possesses (2d8 at 3 HD, 3d8 at 6 HD, and so on). For purposes of feats and spells this ability counts as a breath weapon. The reflex save DC is constitution based

Eclipse: These rare beings are born on the rare instances when either the light from the sun or moon is eclipsed. Bathed in ebon flames, these Wolfen unlike the rest of their race posses bat-like wings, and are known for their dexterity and an affinity for occupations that are best performed while others are unaware of their presence.
• +2 Dexterity, +2 Intelligence
• +2 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently
• Ray of flames(Su): Eclipse Wolfen 3/day +Charisma modifier can fire a ray of flames with a 60ft range. This attack deals 1d8 points of damage, plus an extra 1d8 points for each 5 HD the Eclipse Wolfen possesses (2d8 at 5 HD, 3d8 at 10 HD, and so on).

• Luminous Flames: The Flames that cover a Wolfen’s body glow softly, providing illumination equal to that of a candle. Wolfen can douse their flames at will (a free action) but they don’t have access to the supernatural abilities granted by their Celestial Alignment racial trait when their flames are doused. Restoring flames to visibility is a standard action.

• Immunity to Kin (Su): Wolfen are immune to the effects from produced by their own flames as well as those produced by others of their own race

•Shapechanger Subtype (Ex)
• Natural Weapons: bite 1d6+(1.5xStr)
• Scent
• Low-Light Vision (Sun and Moon), Darkvision 60ft (Eclipse)
• Like Calls to Like (Ex): Limited empathy with wolves and dire wolves, +4 racial bonus on Charisma based checks against wolves and dire wolves (provided that they are eligible to make such checks .
• +2 racial bonus on Survival and Move Silently checks.
• Automatic Languages: Common and Wolfen
• Bonus Languages: Sylvan
• Favored Class: Sorcerer (Moon), Warrior (Sun), Rouge (Eclipse)
• ECL: +1

Racial Feats:

Bright Flames [Racial]
You have been especially blessed by the God of Flames, and your flames glow with exceptional brilliance.
Prerequisite: Wolfen
Benefit: As a standard action, you can increase the illumination from your Luminous Flames to provide a bright glow. Your flames shed illumination equivalent to a Light spell. This effect is dismissible at will.
Normal: A Wolfen’s Flames ordinarily emit a 5-foot radius of shadowy illumination, equivalent to a candle.

Radiant Flames [Racial]
The God of Flames has deemed you worthy of being blessed with a measure of his own glory
Prerequisite: Wolfen, Bright Flames
Benefit: As a standard action, you can further increase the illumination from your Luminous Flames to provide an extra bright glow. Your flames shed illumination equivalent to a Daylight spell.
spell. This effect is dismissible at will.

Glorious Flames [Racial]
Benefit: Twice per day as a standard action you may gain a +4 enhancement to Charisma. This effect lasts one minute per Hit Die.

Veiled Glory [Racial]
You have been granted the ability to call upon the force of your flames, while their light is hidden.
Benefit: You may use the supernatural abilities granted by your Celestial Alignment racial trait while your Luminous Flames are doused.
Normal: Wolfen don’t have access to the supernatural abilities granted by their Celestial Alignment racial trait when there flames are doused.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 02:31 PM
I like the idea, but this wall of text is hard to read. You should break it up with a bit of formatting. Bolded headers and underlining can go a long way to readability.

Awun
2011-07-15, 03:12 PM
I like the idea, but this wall of text is hard to read. You should break it up with a bit of formatting. Bolded headers and underlining can go a long way to readability.

Glad you like it. I've adjusted the formatting so it should be a bit easier to read now.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 03:35 PM
Great! Thank you. Now for some PEACHing.

-First of all, you probably want this to be a less taxing, more playable form of the lycanthrope, and I agree with that. If that's the case, you're not doing yourself any favors by improving the Alternate Form ability. Changing shapes is almost always a standard action unless the creature in question has some kind of feat or spell that lessens it to a move or swift action. (The only exception I can think of is the Shapeshift variant druid, who changes as a swift action, but that's not even based on the Alternate Form ability) I would strongly recommend putting this back to a standard action, or at least explaining why Wolfen can shift faster and more easily than lycanthropes.

-The shapechanger subtype is a subtype, it's not a type. Probably just a typo or something there. I assume you want the Wolfen's type to be Humanoid (Shapechanger)?

-Just in case you didn't know (I didn't know this myself until today) if a creature has only one natural weapon, it applies 1.5x its Strength modifier to that weapon (regardless of its type). So since you have a single bite attack, you get a full 1 1/2 times the Str mod to it. (It's not written in the SRD but I haven't found a contradiction to it, at least not when the natural weapon in question is a bite attack)

-I believe the Wolfen should have Sylvan as an automatic language as well. (Sylvan is the language of the forest, lots of animal creatures with intelligence have them, like centaurs)

Otherwise, the race looks good and the racial feats look good too. Good job

Awun
2011-07-15, 04:19 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I switched "Alternate Form" to a standard action, and fixed the subtype issue. I'm kinda dubious about the +1.5xstr to natural weapon thing. I agree that they should have Sylvan, but since they have a racial language I think it would make more sense as a bonus language.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 04:23 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I switched "Alternate Form" to a standard action, and fixed the subtype issue. I'm kinda dubious about the +1.5 to natural weapon thing. I agree that they should have Sylvan, but since they have a racial language I think it would make more sense as a bonus language.

Well, that's how both the wolf and the dire wolf's bite attacks work. You only get one attack with the bite per round anyway, no matter how high your BAB is. And if someone tries to bite after they've attacked with a weapon, it automatically switches to secondary natural attack rules, which are .5 Str mod no matter what the original amount.

Awun
2011-07-15, 05:01 PM
Well, that's how both the wolf and the dire wolf's bite attacks work. You only get one attack with the bite per round anyway, no matter how high your BAB is. And if someone tries to bite after they've attacked with a weapon, it automatically switches to secondary natural attack rules, which are .5 Str mod no matter what the original amount.

You're right. I'll make the change.