PDA

View Full Version : Warforged Charger Class

Hazzardevil
2011-07-15, 02:54 PM
For a warforged only game I want to take part in, I'm homebrewing a warforged charger monster class in hope that the DM will allow it, here it goes.

http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83077.jpg

Warforged Charger
{table=head]Level|Base Attack<br>Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|
1st|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+0|Forged For War, Ability Increase +2 Str, +1 Con

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+0|
+0|Improved Charging, Ability Increase +2 Str, +1 Con
[/table]

HD: d10

Class Skills
The Charger’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) Craft (Int),Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str)

Skill Points at 1st Level
(2 + Int modifier) ×4.

Skill Points at Each Additional Level
2 + Int modifier.

Forged for War:
The Warforged Charger is Large Sized with a movement speed of 30' movement and has all the characteristics of the construct type (with the living construct subtype):

• Immune to Poison, Sleep, Paralysis, Disease, Nausea, Fatigue, Exhaustion, Sickening, and Energy Drain.
• Does not Eat, Sleep, or Breath.
• Does not naturally heal.
• At 0 hp, is Disabled (as usual). From –1 to –9 hp, is Inert (i.e., Unconscious, but stable)
• Conjuration (healing) spells only heal ˝ hp.
• Can be ‘healed’ by a Craft check that takes 8 hours. The Warforged is repaired the check – 15 hp. It is possible to ‘Take 10’, but not ‘Take 20’. The following Craft skills can be used: armorsmithing, blacksmithing, gemcutting, & sculpting. A Warforged may repair itself. This check cannot be done untrained

A Warforged Charger also recieves Adamantine Body as a Bonus Feat.

Ability Score Increases: The Warforged Charger gains ability score bonuses as noted on the table above.

Imroved Charging:
At 2nd level a Warforged Charger gains Powerful Charge as s bonus feat.
At 7 HD you gain Headlong Rush as a bonus feat.

So, whats the thoughts? Too powerful? Not strong enough?

nonsi
2011-07-15, 03:12 PM
1. Prereqs... ?
2. Given all it gets at 1st level, I'd move Str boost to 2nd.
3. As for Con boost - it's supposed to be omitted once full construct traits are gained. To compensate, you might consider adding a 3rd level that grants (among other things) fast healing, but that doesn't have much to do with charging, so probably not.

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 03:13 PM
You didn't post any HD, Skill Points, or Class skills, so I can't critique there. The Construct type grants d10 HD and 2+Int Skill points, usually. I don't know what kind of class skills it would have.

The Dire Charge feat is an epic feat. You need to have 21 character levels before you qualify for it. It's a pretty good feat too, I don't see a DM allowing it as a bonus feat at level 2.

Is this supposed to be a class for the warforged to take, or..what? The Warforged Charger is a large sized Construct with +10 Str, as I recall. Still, if the only racial modifiers you're giving it are +4 Str and +4 Con with no penalty, that's not good either.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-15, 03:26 PM
You didn't post any HD, Skill Points, or Class skills, so I can't critique there. The Construct type grants d10 HD and 2+Int Skill points, usually. I don't know what kind of class skills it would have.

The Dire Charge feat is an epic feat. You need to have 21 character levels before you qualify for it. It's a pretty good feat too, I don't see a DM allowing it as a bonus feat at level 2.

Is this supposed to be a class for the warforged to take, or..what? The Warforged Charger is a large sized Construct with +10 Str, as I recall. Still, if the only racial modifiers you're giving it are +4 Str and +4 Con with no penalty, that's not good either.

I've gone and cocked up here, I was wondering why I managed this so fast, also this is a base class, like one of the old monster classes from the old thread.
They don't go to 20. (Usually)
Also, I didn't actually look up what Dire Charge did, I just found it on the feat index and though that it would be useful for a Charging based race.
Come to think of it, it's not really good enough to be an epic feat is it?

The Witch-King
2011-07-15, 03:51 PM
For a warforged only game I want to take part in, I'm homebrewing a warforged charger monster class in hope that the DM will allow it, here it goes.

I would love to hear a little bit about your game. What's the backstory? Why warforged only?

NeoSeraphi
2011-07-15, 03:54 PM
I've gone and cocked up here, I was wondering why I managed this so fast, also this is a base class, like one of the old monster classes from the old thread.
They don't go to 20. (Usually)
Also, I didn't actually look up what Dire Charge did, I just found it on the feat index and though that it would be useful for a Charging based race.
Come to think of it, it's not really good enough to be an epic feat is it?

Yes, but if you're actually going to give up having Skill Points for 2 levels you're going to be fairly useless out of combat. (Even the druid's animal companion will have skills)

And that's not our place to question, unfortunately. (Especially since the barbarian can get pounce all the time at 1st level)

Hazzardevil
2011-07-15, 03:59 PM
I would love to hear a little bit about your game. What's the backstory? Why warforged only?

I'm not entirely sure myself, all I know is that my squad of 4-6 players is bieng awakened after the war with no memories of anything before then.

Replaced Dire Carge with Headlong Rush at 7 HD.
I must admit I have made a mess of this, but I think it's all up to the standard of any monster class.

For the build in question I was planning this, then 4 levels of Whatever, (Probably 2 Levels in Psychic Warrior and 2 Levels in Something Else) and then into War Mind.

This class is meant for a Barbarian Charger Build or Possibly a Little Red Raiding hood.

jiriku
2011-07-15, 05:47 PM
Dire Charge is not very epic, IMO. If playing in a T4/T5 game, you should probably steer clear of it, but if your DM allows any T1-T3 classes, then Dire Charge gained at low-heroic levels won't break anything.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-16, 04:39 AM
Dire Charge is not very epic, IMO. If playing in a T4/T5 game, you should probably steer clear of it, but if your DM allows any T1-T3 classes, then Dire Charge gained at low-heroic levels won't break anything.

The game itself has the simple rule of you have to use magic, Psionics, Incarnum or something from the tome of magic.
I'm going down the psionic route, possibly with a side order of charging.

firemagehao
2011-07-17, 12:40 AM
Why not just use the juggernaut prc?

Hazzardevil
2011-07-17, 05:44 AM
This isn't meant to be a warforged that behaves more like a construct, this is a bigger, beefier warforged.