PDA

View Full Version : [PATHFINDER] Need help picking feats/spells for my gish

Zolthux
2011-07-15, 03:39 PM
So I'm trying to make a decent gish in this pathfinder game I'm in. I thought about going fighter/wizard but I don't like the low number of Spells per day, so I opted for sorcerer as my spellcasting class. The loss of spell versatility isn't such a big detriment since I'm going to be using buff spells anyway, with the occasional damage spell.

Instead of using fighter as my martial class, I decided to dip 2 levels of pally so I can get Divine Grace. Detect/Smite Evil and Lay On Hands are gravy, but weak gravy.

We rolled our characters to start at level 4.

Anyway, here're my stats:
STR: 16
DEX: 13
CON: 14 (13 + 1 from level 4 advancement)
INT: 10
WIS: 13
CHA: 16 (14 + 2 from Headband of alluring charisma)

So right now I'm level 6. These are my traits:
Traits: Heirloom Weapon (Elven Curve blade), Magical Knack, the one that gives +2 to concentration (this last trait is from the campaign setting we're on)

My feats/abilities are as follows (note that some feats were Bonus feats:

Lv1 - Paladin 1: Feats: Power Attack, Toughness. Abilities: Smite/Detect Evil, Aura of Good
Lv2 - Paladin 2: Diving Grace, Lay On Hands
LV3 - Verdant Sorc 1: Tanglevine, Eschew Materials, Arcane Armor Training
Lv5 - Sorc 3: Photosynthesis, Furious Focus

Right now I'm at level 6. This is what I'm planning:

Lv7 - Sorc 5: Arcane Strike
Lv9 - Eldritch Knight 1: Weapon Focus (Elven Curve Blade), Vital Strike
LV11 - EK3: Dodge
LV13 - Sorc 7: Extend Spell, Critical Focus
LV14 - EK5: Weapon Specialization (Elven Curve Blade)
LV15 - EK6: Improved Vital Strike
LV17 - EK8: Bleeding Critical
LV18 - EK9: Greater Weapon focus (Elven Curve blade)
LV19 - EK10: Spell Critical, Blinding Critical
LV20 - Fighter 1: Greater Vital Strike

Now, I'm wearing a mithril chainshirt +1, and I plan on using Barkskin to boost my AC by about 4 for a few hours (i can feasibly cast it before the encounter starts). I can also cast shield, which with my bloodline power, grants me +5 AC (although the extra +1 only lasts for 1d4 rounds)

First off I need to know if I can use weapon focus + its chain on my Elven Curve Blade, which I'm only proficient with because of the trait (please also note that the trait limits the proficiency to only that specific weapon, not to all ECB's).

Secondly, Are the feats I'm picking enough to compensate for my lower BAB? Dodge seemed like a good addition in order to boost my AC, but since my character only needs to sleep for 2 hours due to my bloodline, i was thinking on maybe taking an item creation feat to make good use of the extra 6 hours a day that I have. If so, that would be a good IC feat to take? I was thinking of either scribe scroll or brew potion. Brew potion would allow me to use some buffs without requiring to use my spell slots (and I could cast enlarge person as a standard action), but scribe scroll is cheaper to make.

As far as spells go, I opted for the extra favored class option from the APG (instead of getting extra hp/skills, i can choose to learn more spells) to have more level 1 spells available to me, which is one of the reasons that I plan on takinhg a 7th level of sorcerer later on)

My current spells are:

0: dancing Lights, Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Message, Ghost Sound, Mage Hand
1: Shield, Enlarge Person, True Strike, Hydraulic Push, Tanglevine*
2: Bull's Strength

*I gain Tanglevine from my Verdant Bloodline, Also at character level 7 I also learn Barkskin. At level 13 I get Speak with Plants (lol)

There is someone in my party who can cast haste already (the summoner), so for now I will rely on him hasting us. I plan my first lv3 spell to be Greater Magic Weapon. Also, I've been using my money to improve my weapon. It's already keen and +1, and I wanna give it spell storing so that I can cast chill touch on it (later on) as the DM ruled it that when I cast CT on the sword, it essentially has X "charges" of the spell where X is my caster level.

What are some other good spells I should get? I'm trying to veer away from necromancy/AOE blast spells (due to the paladin's code of conduct) and any spells that poison.

Zolthux
2011-07-16, 09:26 AM
...anyone?

Bhaakon
2011-07-16, 06:07 PM
The ehirloom weapon discription on the SRD says "considered proficient with that specific weapon... even if you do not have the required proficiencies." So I guess there's an argument that you can use the weapon focus line, but I'd say that "considered proficient" is not the same thing as having the proficiency.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-16, 06:26 PM
I would say it DOES work, with that weapon. After all it doesn't say "considered proficient for the purposes of the -4 non-proficiency penalty."O r some other stipulation it say,s you are considered proficient, but with this weapon only. I am not the best person at RAW arguments, but as a DM, I would allow it. After all, if circumstances force them to lose that weapon, they are kind of hosed.

Drelua
2011-07-16, 06:29 PM
I know it sounds obvious, but I'd say go Eldritch Knight. The pre-reqs are no problem, and it only costs one CL, none if you drop the fighter level. That would qualify you for the weapon focus chain, get you more health, up your BAB, and I just love spell critical, although you'd have to wait for level 17 at the earliest for that. Combining that with Smite Evil (with its upgrade for Pathfinder) would be pretty mean.

Zolthux
2011-07-16, 07:10 PM
my DM says i'm considered to be proficient with the weapon, so that's not an issue.

I know it sounds obvious, but I'd say go Eldritch Knight. The pre-reqs are no problem, and it only costs one CL, none if you drop the fighter level. That would qualify you for the weapon focus chain, get you more health, up your BAB, and I just love spell critical, although you'd have to wait for level 17 at the earliest for that. Combining that with Smite Evil (with its upgrade for Pathfinder) would be pretty mean.

Yeah, I am going EK already at level 9. Smite Evil isn't that great for me, I think it's a small bonus only +3 roll +2 damage I think

I'm thinking on dropping Dodge for Improved Initiative...Combat casting isn't as necessary since I shouldn't be casting spells midbattle.

Drelua
2011-07-16, 07:17 PM
Yeah, I am going EK already at level 9. Smite Evil isn't that great for me, I think it's a small bonus only +3 roll +2 damage I think

I'm thinking on dropping Dodge for Improved Initiative...Combat casting isn't as necessary since I shouldn't be casting spells midbattle.

Right, I missed EK in your first post. These abbreviations still confuse me sometimes. You should take maximize, or sudden maximize from complete arcane if your DM allows it, especially once you get spell crit.

Zolthux
2011-07-16, 08:04 PM
Right, I missed EK in your first post. These abbreviations still confuse me sometimes. You should take maximize, or sudden maximize from complete arcane if your DM allows it, especially once you get spell crit.

ehhh Maximize spell isn't as great as people think. Those 3 extra spell levels would be better off with a real level 6 spell lol.

Drelua
2011-07-16, 08:14 PM
ehhh Maximize spell isn't as great as people think. Those 3 extra spell levels would be better off with a real level 6 spell lol.

I was mostly thinking of something like chain lightning with sudden maximize on a spell critical, especially since secondary targets take full damage in pathfinder, albeit with a reflex DC 2 lower.

Golkiwu
2011-07-17, 08:22 AM
Your problem with the heirloom weapon, is that the proficiency only applies to that specific weapon, not others of it's type. If you ever lose the weapon, due to sunder or having it stolen or destroyed, you are SOL. No other weapon of that type is considered proficient for you, only that specific weapon.

Zolthux
2011-07-17, 09:56 AM
Your problem with the heirloom weapon, is that the proficiency only applies to that specific weapon, not others of it's type. If you ever lose the weapon, due to sunder or having it stolen or destroyed, you are SOL. No other weapon of that type is considered proficient for you, only that specific weapon.

Yeah I'm well aware.

My DM did warn me that, though I don't think she's going to go out of her way to do that, as it would not just be metagaming, it'd straight up be a **** move

Though then I would yell out "YOU. BROKE. MY. SWORD" and then after killing the boss go on a sidequest to fix it <.<

Zolthux
2011-07-21, 09:20 AM
I need to pick some utility spells also, since they're needed at times...I got floating disk since we have trouble moving loot around. Plus I'm sure I can have some creative uses for it.