PDA

View Full Version : Spells to have in a magical Pipboy

Randel
2011-07-15, 05:26 PM
Okay, the Pipboy 3000 (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Pip-Boy_3000) is a device used in the Fallout series (I'm mainly thinking of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas) that is worn on the arm and can do things like make maps, detect radiation, locate hostile enemies, and use a targeting system to help the wearer in combat. It can also record quests, notes, inventory items, and play the radio.

Sounds like a pretty neat thing for an adventurer to have.

Now, assuming someone in the D&D world started making thinks like this and could cheaply add minor spells or cantrips into its design then what sort of things would be useful to have? I'm thinking it would have alot of semi-mundane uses (radio, map, detecting radiation or poisonous areas) and a few combat or utility spells for the average adventurer or user. Any built-in spells or features would be limited to cantrips or at most 1st level spells. There could be some additional upgrades or limited-use items to add functionality but the basic device itself should be wearable by 1st level characters without being overpowering.

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

1). It can automatically draw maps of areas the wearer goes to and can get new map data from other pipboys or special data crystals (or maybe magical punchcards or something).

2). A notepad feature for writing notes.

3). The battle assisting spell casts Magic Weapon three times a day with a 1-minute duration each time. Upgrades can be used to increase the duration and power of the spell.

4). A built in sensor detects ambiant levels of magic or posion. Upgrades can have it use Detect Magic or Detect Poison at-will.

5). An upgrade lets it constantly scan for undead (or possibly other magical monsters) giving the user a bonus to initiative when fighting them or sneaking up on them.

6). Further upgrades can do stuff like cast Mending or other repair spells to fi stuff or purify food or even create enough food and water to feed a person.

7). Wizards can use it as a Blessed Book to record spells in (write-protection keeps them from copying spells and they need the expensive ink to copy spells from the pipboy).

8). Various magic detection or protection wards to protect against illusions or enchantments. Maybe an alarm goes off when the user is hit with mind-controlling spells which gives them a bonus to the will save and alerts others that the wearer was controlled. Or it beeps in the presesnce or illusions (it will alert you that the person is using Disguise Self but it can't tell you what they look like underneith).

Basically, a whole bunch of utility spells that could be put into the magitek equipivlent of a cell phone that you could expect to be used by low-level adventurers or moderatly well-off civilians to help them survive in a monster-infested land.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-15, 06:38 PM
Light, I can think of a Flashlight being Handy.
I've not played Fallout, at all. But would it beyond the capabilities of the Pipboy to project a force screen that might work as "shield" other than that I think Know Direction for the map quality and the various detects would be cool, let's you see where enemies are, which games let you sometimes. Also Enlarge/Shrink Person I think would be cool on a device like that.

aquaticrna
2011-07-15, 06:48 PM
if you want it to be semi useful in combat you could give it "launch bolt" at will. handy at lv 1 or so, but not really useful past that. A 1/day cure minor wounds that activates when you hit negitive hp could be handy as well