PDA

View Full Version : Psion help

kayden87
2011-07-15, 07:06 PM
Hello, starting a psion as our spell caster for our adventure. Any tips or hints how to build one properly. I would like to be a glass cannon, I got 4 other ppl protecting me lol

Psyren
2011-07-15, 07:14 PM
Psion Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=10238.0)

Read, return with questions

kayden87
2011-07-15, 07:22 PM
Read it, I want to add templates and know what better races out there not listed in that book. And which spells are better than others

Gavinfoxx
2011-07-15, 07:24 PM
Phrenic is a really great psion template? And it has all the good and useful races for psions in there already??

Lateral
2011-07-15, 07:48 PM
Read it, I want to add templates and know what better races out there not listed in that book.
You're probably better off without templates, although Phrenic is decent for psions. There is one notable exception, however: the Primordial Giant template makes a Half-Giant Psion viable; the +1 to ML helps make up for the +1 LA, and you get a substantial INT bonus. As for races, the good choices are pretty much all listed in the handbook.

And which spells are better than others

The Psion guide linked has some help, as does this. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19537882/What_Is_the_Most_Powerful_Psionic_Power) Look at both, and pick for yourself.

erikun
2011-07-15, 08:07 PM
Energy Ray is a good, basic source of damage. Synesthete is generally good at avoiding blindness/deafness and similar conditions, although you are probably better with torches in most cases. Vigor can be handy, especially at higher levels for a large buffer of temporary HP. Astral Construct is not a good choice at first level (lasting only one round), but becomes far more useful after a few levels.

Beyond that, what kind of Psion are you looking at? If you are looking for a physical gish type, then something like Force Screen would be a good investment (along with Vigor). If you are looking towards more of a social telepath route, then perhaps Telempathic Projection would be more useful.

ClothedInVelvet
2011-07-15, 08:21 PM
I've got psion builds ranging from blaster to tactical queen. A psion can do whatever you're looking for him/her to do. If you've got 4 melee/damage times around you, I would suggest picking a lot of utility spells. They can duplicated the effect of your energy ball, but probably not your plane shift or ectoplasmic cocoon.

Astral construct might not be great either, as you could quite easily take the tank role right away from your party.

I'm currently building a gray-elf/dragonborn psion. I'm letting the race take care of the damage (fire-breathing) and flight (wing feats), leaving my powers to revolve around things that I want to do.