PDA

View Full Version : Touch Spells with Multiple Charges

dextercorvia
2011-07-15, 09:48 PM
I'm looking for spells like Chill Touch and Corrosive Grasp(SpC) that allow you to make multiple touches. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thurbane
2011-07-16, 03:48 AM
The only one I can find with a quick flick through the books is Touch of the Graveborn (CM). I'm sure there's more, but I can't seem to find them.

DeAnno
2011-07-16, 04:08 AM
Glorious Master of the Elements (Dragon Magic) gives you access to a ranged touch attack for five rounds, but it isn't quite the same thing. It's not that great a spell, but you can't argue with the total output damage per spell slot.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-16, 04:37 AM
I'm certain theres a level 9 spell that lets you unleash a number of d6's of lightning up to your caster level, with flight during it.

Darcand
2011-07-16, 07:40 AM
The Spell Compendium has the 3 Light of spells (Lunia, Mercuria, Venya) as 1st, 2nd, and 3rd level Wiz/Clr spells. They each give you 2 ranged touch attacks which you can fire off at the same time or on different rounds, dealing 1d6, 2d6, and 3d6 respectively, double dice to undead or evil outsiders.

They can't be discharged until the round after you cast the spell, but you can hold the charge for up to 10 minutes/ level and you gain 30 foot light while you have them charged up (15 if you've used one already)

Also, Light of Venya can alternately be used to heal 1d6+1/level (max 10) per ray to a non-evil, living target.

Since you can hold the charge for so long they're also not too bad to metamagic with spontanious casters, as you typically just buff yourself up with them pre-fight.

Re'ozul
2011-07-16, 08:07 AM
Produce Flame fits in there and would be quite funny if you have both it and chill touch on at the same time.

FMArthur
2011-07-16, 10:06 AM
Elemental Touch (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/e/elemental-touch) from PF is an example of a touch attack spell that can actually have a duration instead of a number of charges. It's not a real touch spell, but more like a buff. As a result I was confused for a bit on what to do with it as a magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus#TOC-Spellstrike-Su-) (the answer is nothing, you get no class feature synergy with it).

begooler
2011-07-16, 04:19 PM
There's Parching Touch from Sandstorm. Level 1 spell, d6 damage, dehydrates and does CON damage.

dextercorvia
2011-07-16, 04:25 PM
If you get multiple attacks per round (iteratives, several natural weapons, etc) and you are holding the charge (after the round of casting), can you make a full attack with multiple touches, or do you have to do the deliver the touch on a regular attack option to make that happen?

Thurbane
2011-07-16, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make as many touch attacks as you have regular melee attacks (at least, that's how my group has always played it).

Touch: You must touch a creature or object to affect it. A touch spell that deals damage can score a critical hit just as a weapon can. A touch spell threatens a critical hit on a natural roll of 20 and deals double damage on a successful critical hit. Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets. You can touch as many willing targets as you can reach as part of the casting, but all targets of the spell must be touched in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

Touch Spells and Holding the Charge: In most cases, if you don’t discharge a touch spell on the round you cast it, you can hold the charge (postpone the discharge of the spell) indefinitely. You can make touch attacks round after round. If you cast another spell, the touch spell dissipates.

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

NecroRick
2011-07-16, 07:04 PM
I'm pretty sure you could make as many touch attacks as you have regular melee attacks (at least, that's how my group has always played it).

Some touch spells allow you to touch multiple targets as part of the spell. You can’t hold the charge of such a spell; you must touch all targets of the spell in the same round that you finish casting the spell.

Unfortunately the second quote you gave does tend to put the dampers on Chill Touch. Yes, you may have two attacks... congratulations! Sadly in order to get that many attacks you have to be as a level 12 wizard... you just 'lost' the remaining 10 :-(

Thurbane
2011-07-16, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately the second quote you gave does tend to put the dampers on Chill Touch. Yes, you may have two attacks... congratulations! Sadly in order to get that many attacks you have to be as a level 12 wizard... you just 'lost' the remaining 10 :-(
I took that to apply to touch spells that you use on willing targets, but you could be right. If that is correct, it makes Chill Touch and similar spells all but useless - the rules say you can touch one enemy in the same round you cast the spell, and if you can't hold the charge, then it would dissipate after one round. :smalleek:

dextercorvia
2011-07-16, 08:25 PM
I took that to apply to touch spells that you use on willing targets, but you could be right. If that is correct, it makes Chill Touch and similar spells all but useless - the rules say you can touch one enemy in the same round you cast the spell, and if you can't hold the charge, then it would dissipate after one round. :smalleek:

Yeah, if I remember, that is followed by an explanation of how many willing targets you can touch in a round.

Zolthux
2011-07-17, 10:11 AM
I know this might sound convoluted but

You can go sorcerer and take the heavens bloodline, then select the Empyrial archetype from Ultimate magic. Now you use your wisdom instead of charisma for anything that would usually require cha (spells know, spells per day, DC, etc)

take a couple of levels in sorcerer (maybe 2), then select the trait "magical Knack" (your caster level goes up by 2 as long as it doesn't go over your hd)

then Multiclass to monk and level up getting those sweet flurry of blows.

Ideally, you cast chill touch on one turn, then flurry of blows the next.

I'm pretty sure it'd work.

dextercorvia
2011-07-17, 02:33 PM
Not if Szar is correct. I think that passage is meant to say that you can't (for example) hold the charge on a Teleport spell. But, it isn't clear and it could be read that you can't hold the charge on Chill Touch, which means that you will never be able to get more than one attack with it, since you can't wait until the next round. You can't even quicken it and then full-attack the same round, because -- either way you parse that particular piece of rules -- that would require being able to hold the charge.

The only way you can use multiple touches of an attack spell, if you rule Szar's way, is if you suppose that the specific spell description of allowing multiple attacks is a specific overide of the general rule about making a single attack as part of casting the touch spell. It could be read that the spell is allowing you to make that many touch attacks as part of the instantaneous spell effect.

I think it is simpler, and more balanced to make Thurbane's assumption, that the restriction is on touch spells which aren't attacks, and that the spell lasts until you have made the specified number of attacks.

Elrihm
2011-07-17, 09:25 PM
Belker's Claw from the SC gives you 1d12 damage with 1 touch/ 3 lvls.

dextercorvia
2011-07-17, 09:30 PM
Belker's Claw from the SC gives you 1d12 damage with 1 touch/ 3 lvls.

That has the courtesy of discussing the duration. It is 2d12, however. But it doesn't say that you make additional attacks. It simply says it deals an additional 2d12 per round for Min(Floor(CL/3),4) additional rounds. I'd read that as to the original target.

Ashram
2011-07-17, 09:38 PM
Calcific Touch from PF's Advanced Player's Guide. 4th level spell that deals 1d4 Dex damage per touch and slows the target (As the Slow spell) for one round; a successful Fort save negates the Slow effect but not the damage. Any creature whose Dex is reduced to 0 is permanently petrified. Spell lasts 1 rnd./level, and you can affect a number of total creatures with this equal to your caster level.