PDA

View Full Version : [ToB] What recovery methods do PrCs have?

NineThePuma
2011-07-15, 11:18 PM
Um... I think it should be obvious what I'm asking, but lets say a Fighter gets into Bloodclaw Master. How does he go about recovering expended maneuvers?

The-Mage-King
2011-07-15, 11:19 PM
He doesn't. If you don't have a recovery method, you don't get one for taking levels in a PrC.

Seerow
2011-07-15, 11:20 PM
You generally use the recovery method of the class used to enter it I believe. So given a Fighter using feats to get the maneuvers to qualify the answer would seem to be you can't recover unless you take adaptive style.

Morbis Meh
2011-07-15, 11:24 PM
Well IMO if he got into the class via feats, he is restricted for the maneuvers he used to get into the class but as far as new maneuvers I personally would restrict them to once/encounter since he has no formal training of the schools. I would assume the recovery mechanics remain the same for any class going into the PrC eg warblade going into bloodstorm blade keeps his recovery and a swordsage going into setting sun ninja keeps theirs. The fighter would get the short end of the stick in this regard but why would anyone go as a fighter into one of these PrC's and not as a ToB character.

edit: double swordsage'd

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-15, 11:35 PM
All of your answers are in the Martial Study feat description:

If you do not have martial adept levels, you can use this maneuver once per encounter as a martial adept with an initiator level equal to 1/2 your character level. If you do not have martial adept levels when you take this feat, and you later gain a level in a class that grants maneuvers known, these new maneuvers can be used only once per encounter and have no recovery method. If you later gain levels in a martial adept class (crusader, swordsage, or warblade), you use the recover method for maneuvers learned as a result of those class levels, but your previous maneuvers (gained through this feat or through prestige class levels) do not gain a recovery method.

Cog
2011-07-16, 05:24 AM
...you can't recover unless you take adaptive style.
It's worse than that. Adaptive Style requires at least one level in one of the TOB base classes.

NecroRick
2011-07-16, 05:32 AM
He's a fighter, by definition. Made of pure and unadulterated awesometanium. Therefore, by RAW, he must be better at fightering than those lame ToB classes.

Simply allow him to recover the maneuvers as a free action, and allow him to spend them all in a round as a free action, but not more than one of each a round because that would be too good. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to make one fighting class enormously much better than similar classes, would it?

Sure fighter must (by definition!) be the epitome of fightering, but you can't overshadow everyone else *too much*. After all, it's not their fault they didn't realise how awesome fighters are.

Redshirt Army
2011-07-16, 05:44 PM
He's a fighter, by definition. Made of pure and unadulterated awesometanium. Therefore, by RAW, he must be better at fightering than those lame ToB classes.

Simply allow him to recover the maneuvers as a free action, and allow him to spend them all in a round as a free action, but not more than one of each a round because that would be too good. I mean, it wouldn't be fair to make one fighting class enormously much better than similar classes, would it?

Sure fighter must (by definition!) be the epitome of fightering, but you can't overshadow everyone else *too much*. After all, it's not their fault they didn't realise how awesome fighters are.

Not helping. :smallannoyed:

Anyway, the Fighter could only recover maneuvers outside of combat, as with the maneuvers from his feats.

stainboy
2011-07-17, 06:55 AM

My druid should be better at Tiger Claw than your fighter. The fighter may be the epitome of fightering, but the druid is the epitome of tigers.

Psyren
2011-07-17, 10:20 AM
"Fighter" means "one who fights" - it does not confer innate superiority. Similarly, "Ranger" does not mean they have the best way to get around in the game world. :smalltongue:

Zanzanar
2011-07-17, 11:57 PM
"Fighter" means "one who fights" - it does not confer innate superiority. Similarly, "Ranger" does not mean they have the best way to get around in the game world. :smalltongue:

Of course not, it means they have the longest range.

Psyren
2011-07-18, 12:18 AM
Of course not, it means they have the longest range.

Not sure if you're kidding or not (cursed text medium!) but the "range" in "ranger" means the same thing as "wander." After all, not all of them are archers.

Leon
2011-07-18, 08:56 AM

Roamer doesn't quite have the same ring to it