PDA

View Full Version : Doity deeds done doit cheap

The_Ebolanator
2011-07-16, 05:43 AM
So I gots me a friend who's running a campaign and I'm gonna be an artificer, right? Anyway, I was frumping about the dreaded 3.5 tier list http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4938.0 and apparently an uber-optimized artificer can make magic items at 2.05% market price . . .
Anybody out there know how to commit this warcrime? I'd love to forge WMDs with nickels and dimes (or coppers and silvers to be more apropos).
I know about the bonus feats they get that reduces xp cost and money by 25%, but what else does one do?

FYI, my DM is cool with this, in fact he and I have been trying to find ways to allow me to create magic items for the party (I'm essentially taking up the mantle of the token "convenient magic items shopkeep dude") without breaking bank, and this is a high-level campaign so we need all the help we can get.

Yora
2011-07-16, 06:26 AM
The claim is made here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=3r09ts5gnos0fln6ctvb5l9au0&topic=5252.0), but I have my doubts in the math.

marcielle
2011-07-16, 08:10 AM
I think some of that is actually illegal. Certain reduction CANNOT stack. Like making the items specific for those with certain skills and classes don't stack. There should be others that also don't stack but I can't remember them off the top of my head. Also note that if you are starting with crafter feats, you cannot use them to craft weapons PRIOR to the game begining(eg, in your backstory, yadda yadda) since your wealth at 1st level is market worth of your possesions, NOT actual spending money. A lot of people tend to ignore these 2 things in particular .

Acanous
2011-07-16, 09:09 AM
Note there are Crafting Humunculi in ECS that can craft for you, so long as you're in range. That lets you craft faster. :3

Yora
2011-07-16, 09:56 AM
I think some of that is actually illegal. Certain reduction CANNOT stack.
The biggest modifier also requires you to be a kaorti.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-16, 10:14 AM
I think some of that is actually illegal. Certain reduction CANNOT stack. Like making the items specific for those with certain skills and classes don't stack. Actually, if they're using this method, the way to shut it down is to actually pay attention:

Not all items adhere to these formulas directly. The reasons for this are several. First and foremost, these few formulas aren’t enough to truly gauge the exact differences between items. The price of a magic item may be modified based on its actual worth. The formulas only provide a starting point. The pricing of scrolls assumes that, whenever possible, a wizard or cleric created it. Potions and wands follow the formulas exactly. Staffs follow the formulas closely, and other items require at least some judgment calls. (emphasis added, specific text from Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm))

Then, as the DM, simply say "no", and you're well within RAW. Player is trying to make a scroll of Flame Strike at the cost of 25 gp or so, that has a big set of limits that only the guy who made it can easily meet? Guess what: It's still as valuable (for you) as the base item would be, other than a small amount because no merchant will take it. You're paying full crafting costs - sorry.

marcielle
2011-07-16, 10:53 AM
About the homunculi crafting for you, IIRC, you can stuff him in a dimensional pocket(eg. bag of holding or one of the wizard mansion thingies) and he can still craft for you if you are near/holding the exitway.

HalfDragonCube
2011-07-16, 11:11 AM
About the homunculi crafting for you, IIRC, you can stuff him in a dimensional pocket(eg. bag of holding or one of the wizard mansion thingies) and he can still craft for you if you are near/holding the exitway.

Order it to craft a portable hole and watch the fireworks.

The_Ebolanator
2011-07-16, 03:33 PM
Well I must say that I'm quite grateful for the advice I got. I think as far as what's legal and what's not, I'll just show my DM this thread and see where we go from there since he has the final say in all of this. Again, I'm not worried about him saying "NO!" to a lot of this since we've done equally maddening things in games past.