PDA

View Full Version : GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Merchant
2012-03-10, 05:33 PM
How about a theme based around money, buy and selling all sorts of ...things.

Lately I've been trying to figure out a class (merchant of souls) that can actually buy a soul/person in the sense that it mimics dominate monster or perhaps allows the person to resurrect the soul while having an ex enemy now on good terms with the Merchant.

If not specifically money and trade based, maybe classes based off of certain items/objects they possess.

MammonAzrael
2012-03-10, 05:44 PM
What about a gish theme? I was recently making a gish and it was brought to my attention that there are very few PrCs that are all that great for gishing it up. Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade are really the only two options that stood out.

TheGeckoKing
2012-03-10, 05:58 PM
What about a gish theme? I was recently making a gish and it was brought to my attention that there are very few PrCs that are all that great for gishing it up. Abjurant Champion and Swiftblade are really the only two options that stood out.

I believe there's been a Gish contest in the past. Although, a contest with the general theme of MAGIC! would be pretty cool too.

Lord_Gareth
2012-03-10, 07:48 PM
Okay, so we either need to draw up a poll or appoint someone to run the next contest, yes?

JoshuaZ
2012-03-10, 10:14 PM
Okay, so we either need to draw up a poll or appoint someone to run the next contest, yes?

Well, someone should close the voting thread first and announce a winner. The Scion seems to have won. We may want to wait a few days and see if Errant shows up before starting the next contest. The idea of drawing up a poll for the idea for the next contest is an interesting one.

Morph Bark
2012-03-12, 07:31 AM
Well, someone should close the voting thread first and announce a winner. The Scion seems to have won. We may want to wait a few days and see if Errant shows up before starting the next contest. The idea of drawing up a poll for the idea for the next contest is an interesting one.

PMing him in such a case is always a good idea. That's what I did in the past.

The Witch-King
2012-03-12, 09:06 AM
Echoes of the Past

Just curious as to how this one would work. Couldn't someone just declare ANYTHING to be from the past?

"He makes cheeseburgers. In the ancient style of our forefathers."

Lord_Gareth
2012-03-12, 09:47 AM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/kitty_anime_luvr/Tumblr%20GIFs%20and%20Pics/tumblr_lstgh872tM1qm7ls5o1_400.gif

That is what it means, Witch-King. That RIGHT THERE.

The Witch-King
2012-03-12, 12:16 PM
http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/kitty_anime_luvr/Tumblr%20GIFs%20and%20Pics/tumblr_lstgh872tM1qm7ls5o1_400.gif

Yoink! Shamelessly stolen! That picture is awesome, sir.

boomwolf
2012-03-14, 08:43 AM
This makes me lol every time I see it...and it's a few years old...

Anyway, as for "echos of the past", it can be a contest where you must refer something of year X or older (say 1990 or older...22 years is sure far away in gaming...)

Lord_Gareth
2012-03-14, 01:32 PM
This makes me lol every time I see it...and it's a few years old...

Anyway, as for "echos of the past", it can be a contest where you must refer something of year X or older (say 1990 or older...22 years is sure far away in gaming...)

It might also revolve around PrCs similar to Eternal Blade, where you take up an ancient legacy or are haunted by an extremely annoying (yet highly informative) ghost of some variety.

boomwolf
2012-03-14, 05:32 PM
You can also translate it to "remaking an old WoTC class"

Anyway, i want to add "video game to DnD" to the suggestion pool...

Glimbur
2012-04-14, 08:32 AM
Theme. Spelljammer. I don't care if it's an ace spelljammer pilot or someone who is too tough to die even in space. Something cool could happen. Or we could just get thirteen fighter-type PrCs for those hippo folks. I'm not afraid.

Fable Wright
2012-04-30, 09:45 AM
Since ErrantX doesn't seem to be here right now, in the interest of continuing these contests, I would be willing to start the contests/voting threads. Anyone still interested in competing?

Lord_Gareth
2012-04-30, 09:56 AM
Since ErrantX doesn't seem to be here right now, in the interest of continuing these contests, I would be willing to start the contests/voting threads. Anyone still interested in competing?

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sgt. Cookie
2012-04-30, 10:25 AM
*raises hand*

MoleMage
2012-04-30, 01:09 PM
Depending on theme and how busy I am will school/work, I'm still in.

BelGareth
2012-04-30, 01:13 PM
Here, Here!

Igneel
2012-04-30, 04:21 PM
I've been trying my had at homebrewing lately, including the Community Monster Class competition, so I don't see why I shouldn't be interested in trying out making a PrC pending on Theme.

Morph Bark
2012-04-30, 05:05 PM
Suggestion: Theme: Portals.

Igneel
2012-04-30, 05:27 PM
You can also translate it to "remaking an old WoTC class"

Anyway, i want to add "video game to DnD" to the suggestion pool...

Suggestion: Theme: Portals.

Now I want to put up a suggestion for Cake... >.> <.< Or Space...

Fable Wright
2012-04-30, 07:22 PM
Alright, the new thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13156254) is up! Go nuts!

Amechra
2012-04-30, 09:10 PM
RAGE!

I was half-way through writing a class that acted as a Theurge for Eftexar's new knight class and warlocks that basically allowed you to play a creepy eldritch sleepwalking chivalrous knight with a stalker crush and exceedingly high standards.

But Firefox decided to quit on me, and then to not reload the page.

Oh well, now I just have to remember what skills I gave them...

hierophant
2012-04-30, 10:56 PM
I was half-way through writing a class that acted as a Theurge for Eftexar's new knight class and warlocks that basically allowed you to play a creepy eldritch sleepwalking chivalrous knight with a stalker crush and exceedingly high standards.

That sounds... incredible. I can't wait to see it!

I'm thinking a bard-type PrC that brings dreams to life.
Man, I wish I had my copy of Voyage of the Dawn Treader on me...

Fable Wright
2012-05-02, 09:49 PM
Bump? Come on, the new contest has been posted. There should be a flurry of brainstorming/speculation/early posts coming up now... did I do something wrong?

JoshuaZ
2012-05-02, 10:40 PM
Bump? Come on, the new contest has been posted. There should be a flurry of brainstorming/speculation/early posts coming up now... did I do something wrong?

Exam time and other stuff. I suspect I'm not the only one in that category. Also, I just used my last dream-related PrC idea for the picture contest.

BelGareth
2012-05-02, 11:08 PM

I just don't have any ideas for a dream related PRC...

NeoSeraphi
2012-05-02, 11:37 PM
Ah, damnit! A dream-related contest no less than a week after I posted my dumuzid (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=241067)? What a rip-off! Oh well. Good luck to all.

hierophant
2012-05-02, 11:39 PM
Well I've switched from a bardic music based buffer/debuffer to the Dream Thief.
Stay tuned for updates!

Someone else feel free to roll with the bard idea though.

Igneel
2012-05-03, 01:12 AM
I have an semi-idea for a Sand Man-theme, just brainstorming how to incorporate it. Currently thinking about him basically being a guy that totes around a bag of Slumber Sand (Sandstorm), but that doesn't sound interesting enough.

TheGeckoKing
2012-05-03, 01:16 PM
I've got an idea - the Living Nightmare, or what happens when you cross an Illusionist and a Lich. When I get to the write-up part however, is anyone's guess.

MoleMage
2012-05-03, 05:11 PM
Working on something too, between writing final papers. Edge Seer, a Psionic character who has lost the ability to distinguish life and dreams and sees the whole world as a Lucid Dream (and treats the whole world...as a Lucid Dream).

I usually am not terribly talkative while preparing though, hence the not talking.

Aeryr
2012-05-04, 07:52 PM
I am going to give this a try. I hope my reverie drinker gets as appealing to everyone as it is starting to be to me.

kestrel404
2012-05-05, 07:26 AM
I've decided to throw my hat in the ring. I've been doing a lot of homebrewing in my spare time for a specific project (which will eventually show up here), but I figured I'd try my hand at something a bit more 'freeform' than what I'm trying right now.

enderlord99
2012-05-05, 12:03 PM
I'm not good at actually, making any sort of homebrew, but I have a concept that fits this contest:

The Dreampt Dreamer

The concept's hard to explain, so I'll just say a quote from one of them.

"I don't exist. But then, neither does anything else. The whole cosmic order is just a fleeting dream in the mind of some unfathomable demiurge. I was dreampt by another being within this universe... Nonetheless, he was a powerful archmage. When he died, a thousand years ago, I took over his body... and his power. But, I am still a dream of a dream... an echo of an echo... a shadow of a shadow. That doesn't mean I'm powerless, however. Even my own dreams, which I command, are much more powerful than you will ever be. In fact, from now on, you won't be anything at all (not that you ever were)."

boomwolf
2012-05-05, 11:50 PM
I've.....got nothing...

I'll let you know if I get anything...

Glimbur
2012-05-07, 05:03 PM
I'm going to make the Combat Focus feats from PHB II worth taking. Probably only 5 levels.

Aeryr
2012-05-07, 05:28 PM
Combat focus is a lovely feat. :smalltongue:

Tarvon000
2012-05-08, 12:17 AM
I think I'll try this as well. I have some ideas for a psionic character who remains aware of his surroundings while asleep and can bring parts of his dreams into the real world.

Morph Bark
2012-05-08, 05:23 AM
...I never dream. How could I make homebrew based off dreaming if I never dream? :smallfrown:

Well, when I'm asleep anyway.

Aeryr
2012-05-08, 05:34 AM
...I never dream. How could I make homebrew based off dreaming if I never dream? :smallfrown:

Well, when I'm asleep anyway.

Well I am making a PrC that has as a requeriment being unable to sleep or to dream. :smallcool:

Btw It's trying to combine hexblade and spellthief to up them to tier 3.

Glimbur
2012-05-10, 04:47 PM
Think about letting them use stolen spells for more hexes. It's not enough, unless you give them something like warlock invocations but powered by stolen spells... that might work. Not very hex-blade unless you stick to debuffs? Who knows.

Anyone want to trade PEACHes?

Aeryr
2012-05-19, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the feed back, I've been a bit stressed and out of inspiration lately.

As for the reverie drinker I am taking out the lucid dreaming stuff, and the onieromancy, I think it adds to much complexity.

I added to more iterations of the nightmare curse ability, dark nightmare curse that forfeits the effect of a normal hexblade curse to apply a curse (from bestow curse) that should give some more options, and nightmare spell, it casts any spell stolen (or a spell known of the same level or lower) at the target that is being cursed. Since the reverie drinker was unable to get to spellthief 20 that made some sense.

I am also simplifying the eerie state a little, so it's keyed to charisma and reverie drinker level.

And once I figure how to turn dreams into drugs, and perhaps an appropriate cost for it, I will finish the benefits of drinking dream. Right now I am thinking about wisdom damage a penalty to saves against dream spells/effects and a temporary alchemical bonus to CHA based skill checks (that's for everyone). The reverie drinker is going to get more bonus from that, depending on level. Probably the effects of Jack of all trades, bardic knack and one skill mastery on any skill that he doesn't have any rank but does allow checks untrained.

Regarding the dream warrior, the concept is pretty cool, I like those feats, a few coppers.

Insightful strike: you might want him to be able to use it once per encounter, not once per combat. It's a nitpicky difference.

And can the rude awakening crit? Maybe rude awakening and sleepwalking should end combat focus, otherwise one can use sleepwalking every round, for ever. What is an attack against him? Will interpretations of it lead to Iron Heart Surge shenanigans? Can he deflect AoE attacks with it, even if he is totally covered by it?

The Witch-King
2012-05-20, 12:35 PM
Anyone want to trade PEACHes?

This question got me thinking.

I think it would behoove the powers that be to create a stickied thread entitled "Trading PEACHes" wherein a person would post a numbered request:

R1 Please PEACH my Clownstomper Base Class at http://thelink!

And then someone would respond:

P1 I've had some time to think about your Clownstomper class and think such-and-so. Please PEACH my Mimepuncher class at http://mylink. Thanks!

And then the original poster would respond:

PR1 Thanks for commenting about my class! Here's my critique of yours!

I just don't know how it would work out. I posted this idea to the Base Class Challenge Chat Thread first because I personally feel I'd have a much better time of it committing to critiquing any random base class than any random PrC class since PrC classes can involve mechanics and classes and books I've never seen or heard of before. A major advantage of base classes is that they tend to be a single independent unit.

Anyway--I just had the idea and thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Later!

hierophant
2012-05-24, 11:18 PM
Okay, I badly need feedback on the Dream Thief's dream strike ability. It will scale up with level, but any advice re: power, wording, or anything would be a massive help!

While I'm here:

Dream Shaman: Looks solid. Chameleon-esque, but more flexible. Utility, combat buffs and more! Me likey.

Reverie Drinker: Stealing dreams? Ha, as if you could build a class around that!
Okay, looks pretty good, but relies heavily on splat books. Seems to build nicely on the chosen base classes. Will have a more in depth look once I've finished the dream thief.

Dream Warrior: Eh, think it could use some buffing up. The immediate action abilities seem a little weak. What if you already have Insightful Strike?
Overall I like it, but think it could use some more oomph at lower levels.
Capstones seem pretty spot on.

Living Nightmare: The horror (movie villain)! Okay, looks solid. Not much more to say at the moment.

Will try to give more helpful PEACHing once I've wrapped up my entry.
Looking good so far guys! Keep up the great brewing.

Jeff the Green
2012-06-01, 06:23 AM
I like the idea, Witch King. In that spirit, and in hope of getting some feedback on the Dreamer of Forebears' Dreams, here's my take on the other entries so far:

Resider-in-Dreams:
:smalleek: This is profoundly creepy. I can't wait to see the rest of the class features.

Dream Thief
I like this a lot. Perhaps instead of sneak attack, though, you could advance whatever precision damage they had previously? That way a scout wouldn't have to worry about fulfilling requirements for both skirmish and sneak attack.

Dream Shaman
I'm not sure what I think about this class. I like the flavor and it seems reasonably well balanced, but the abilities seem a little scattered, like it might be hard for them to fill a particular role. Though I suppose it's possible this is just my bias against jack-of-all-trades PrCs.

Reverie Drinker
A nifty idea, and I think it's pretty well balanced. Two things, though. First, I'm not sure Dream Scion is appropriate for a class that can't dream; the whole point is that you enter a waking dream-state. Second, it might be worth going over the text with a fine-toothed comb; there are a few typos and some places where the wording could be improved. (Feel free to PM me if you want details and/or help.)

Dream Warrior
Huh. I swear I didn't read this before making mine, but it's basically a martial version of the Dreamer of Forebears' Dreams. So naturally, I approve. :smallbiggrin:

Living Nightmare
Okay, I'm scared. There are a few places where you might elaborate on mechanics (such as where you say they "gain the Invocation abilities of a Warlock of their Living Nightmare levels"), and a few typos here and there.

Techwarrior
2012-06-02, 01:27 PM
Hope no one minds me jumping in on this at the last moment. I like what I've seen so far by everyone else, should be an interesting competition. I particularly like the Dream Thief, but I'm biased towards rogues. Good luck everyone!

Aeryr
2012-06-02, 08:01 PM
Reverie Drinker: Stealing dreams? Ha, as if you could build a class around that!
Okay, looks pretty good, but relies heavily on splat books. Seems to build nicely on the chosen base classes. Will have a more in depth look once I've finished the dream thief.

I've gone over the abilities of the reverie drinker to integrate them more into the class, without relying in so many splat books. I have done quite a rewrite of the abilities, trying to simplify them.

Reverie Drinker
A nifty idea, and I think it's pretty well balanced. Two things, though. First, I'm not sure Dream Scion is appropriate for a class that can't dream; the whole point is that you enter a waking dream-state. Second, it might be worth going over the text with a fine-toothed comb; there are a few typos and some places where the wording could be improved. (Feel free to PM me if you want details and/or help.)

Thanks, I would really appreciate a spell check, English is not my mother tongue and I make quite a few mistakes. I have rewrited the wording of entering the dream state to try to give the feeling that its the only way they have to dream.

I also grouped many of the dreaming abilities in three main powers.
-Nightmare curse (using dreams to empower curses)
-Live the dream (bonus to stats and combat capabilities)
-Dream drinking (some healing and bonus to skill checks)

I believe that the sleep casting ability was quite strong (so I applied the nerf bat to it) making enemies helpless using a first level spell that you can steal from your party wizard? Too strong.

Some feedback on the other classes

The Resider-in-Dreams: It looks creepily cool, but the prerequisite
Fair Fight 2d6/+1 seems a bit weird, when I click on the link there is fair fight 1d6/+1 and 2d6/+2 but not 2d6/+1, in fact 2d6/+2 requires 6 levels of knight, and since you also need a level of warlock you need to be level 7 (at least) to enter it, I might raise the skills needed to enter the class to reflect on that. It surely will benefit from some polishing, I can't wait to see the new class abilities, they have pretty cool names.

Dream Thief Ha! A dream thief! Who would build one of those? :smallamused: Have to say that I really like the concept. Is there any limit on your dream strike ability? Can you completely obliterate enemies mental stats? Why won't you choose to make a dream strike? As of now there are nor limits nor penalties to it, maybe you can make it forfeit sneak attack damage to deal ability damage. The other abilities seem cool, I personally like mental mettle and slippery mind those are based on working abilities, are strong and fit thematically.

Dream Shaman This is quite complete and dreams of another life seems like a powerful mechanic that can be used to deal with many different situations. It reminds me of the chameleon (even if its totally not like the chameleon). Mysticism works really well letting it work for many systems, that's a great idea. Dreamcatchers are cool and flavorful, and can be used in many ways, I like the idea of a dream shaman gifting them to their enemies so they can track them easily.

Reverie Drinker that's mine :smallredface:

Dream warrior: I like the class, the concept is cool. But looking at the table I feel that there are too many abilities per level, maybe it's a fighter trying to compensate their lack of class features, but it might be benefited for going over 10 levels, atm it has 15 class features in five levels (that looks like a lot to me). I also like that you increased the cooldown of the capstone (it felt really powerful being able to alternate between one and the other every round).

Living Nightmare: That's scary! Congrats. One nitpick though, its a class that progresses invocations (every level) even adds new invocation but doesn't have any requirements of being a warlock. I see that if you don't have invocations you can take Living Nightmare and count as warlock 1, that can make the PrC a great dip for any undead wanting to enter eldritch theurge or eldritch disciple since Living Nightmare 2 >>> Warlock 2.

Dreamer of forebears: You took two of my favorite caster classes and build a theurge just for them, I like it. It's flavorful and simple, and not too strong since it loses some caster levels among the way. I might push it to tenth level, just because only seven levels seems a bit unusual. The ultimate magus or the archane hierophant could be a good font of inspiration for the class.

Dream speaker: Yay! I was missing a bard PrC, I love bars. I almost tried to include bardic music into the reverie drinker but eventually discarded due to it being slightly out of place. Note that you are missing dream music in the table.

Amechra
2012-06-02, 09:37 PM
Hrm... I'll have to change prereqs, then; I thought the progression was the same as that of a Scout's Skirmish progression.

Techwarrior
2012-06-02, 11:25 PM
Dream speaker: Yay! I was missing a bard PrC, I love bars. I almost tried to include bardic music into the reverie drinker but eventually discarded due to it being slightly out of place. Note that you are missing dream music in the table.

Fixed, and moved it to the appropriate section of the class features. Thanks for the catch :smallbiggrin:

Actually, since rereading them, several of these are actually giving me ideas for the horror campaign I've been DM'ing, which is good because I had been having a complete blank on where I was going for about two weeks. Luckily I'm good enough at filler that my players haven't noticed yet. :smallamused:

Amechra
2012-06-03, 01:00 AM
Alright, I am pretty much done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13157506&postcount=3)

Thoughts? Did I do a good job with the creepy stalker vibe?

And note that Form of the Incubus essentially means that any town or city he walks through is going to have a massive uptick in the number of "crimes of passion" committed, and that Dream Obsession doesn't look like a disease to anyone who hasn't seen it before...

Sweet dreams. About someone...

Aeryr
2012-06-03, 04:17 AM
Alright, I am pretty much done. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13157506&postcount=3)

Thoughts? Did I do a good job with the creepy stalker vibe?

And note that Form of the Incubus essentially means that any town or city he walks through is going to have a massive uptick in the number of "crimes of passion" committed, and that Dream Obsession doesn't look like a disease to anyone who hasn't seen it before...

Sweet dreams. About someone...

I could play that guy in a totalitarian setting with huge posters of his face every ****ing where.

Personally I would change:

At 4th level, your ever-sleeping nature expands itself outwards, making it almost impossible for you to wake another being. As long as a creature is within 100' of you, that creature must make a Will Save with a DC of 10+Class Level+your Charisma modifier to wake up for any reason, until they have been outside of the area for more than 8 hours; in addition, any creature within that range receives a penalty on any save they make to prevent themselves from falling asleep equal to one-half your class level.

As of now if you walk around the city (moving the area) making 8 hours shifts (like every 8 hours you go for a walk) commoners are not going to wake up, ever. Congrats you are the evilest sleeping beauty around. It's a cool ability for an npc but for a pc? Making everyone in a 100' are just don't wake up (and remain helpless) wow...

I would say that within an area, (you might want to make it work as an emanation so people can hide from you to sleep) do not rest, so while they are there sleeping that time doesn't add up to the hours that they need to rest. For example, you like Average Joe and Dubious Hannah so you walk into their room while they are there they do not rest, once you leave they can continue sleeping normally. If they slept 4 hours prior your visit, and you stayed with them for an hour they would still need 4 more hours of sleep, not 8 hours.

In dream obsession I'll will specify that it is every time they fail a save against dream obsession (not against everything). Consider that one of the capstones is turning your familiar fancy in a vector of the disease (what do you mean by that?)

Other than that I really like the class. It is awesomely scary.

Amechra
2012-06-03, 12:37 PM
The capstone actually gives your FF the entire Form of the Incubus ability, except for the ability to infect people with Dream Obsession; I thought that would result in a massive cascade of everyone just sleeping.

And the capstone also means that your FF now loves you forever... and ever... and ever... and ever...

And I'll fix that typo in Dream Obsession; how'd I not notice that? And that is a good idea with Oneiric Self; I'll fix it ASAP.

I'm glad you liked it; here, have some appropriate posters:

http://img.ponibooru.org/_images/bebd8f43694c16e8a3dffa3494e39de4/23355%20-%20flutterage%20flutterrage%20fluttershy%20hope_po ster%20love%20love_her_or_else%20meme%20poster.png
http://machita75.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/twilight-jokes-photos-3.jpg
http://www.motifake.com/image/demotivational-poster/small/1003/stalkers-stalkers-woman-man-demotivational-poster-1268064199.jpg
http://verydemotivational.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/demotivational-posters-romance1.jpg

Aeryr
2012-06-04, 03:23 PM
I really like the first one :smallcool:

BTW wasn't the deadline yesterday?

Jeff the Green
2012-06-04, 05:54 PM
Yes, though for some reason I read it as July 3rd. :smallconfused:

Fable Wright
2012-06-04, 06:43 PM
I really like the first one :smallcool:

BTW wasn't the deadline yesterday?

Sorry, I've been losing track and I currently have a lot of work on my plate. I'm going to keep everything open until Wednesday afternoon, at which point I'll close the thread and open the voting thread.

Aeryr
2012-06-05, 12:22 AM
Then if anyone wishes to check my grammar and spelling please, do so. English is not my native language and I am quite sure there are places in which wording could be improved for clarity.

Jeff the Green
2012-06-05, 02:17 AM
Then if anyone wishes to check my grammar and spelling please, do so. English is not my native language and I am quite sure there are places in which wording could be improved for clarity.

I will. I'm looking at it now and will PM you the results.

Aeryr
2012-06-05, 04:08 AM
I will. I'm looking at it now and will PM you the results.

Thank you very much, if you ever need help with Spanish let me know. :smallsmile:

Fable Wright
2012-06-13, 02:58 PM
Voting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246420) is up! And sorry about it being late. RL came up.

Glimbur
2012-07-11, 05:10 PM
So... uh... ideas for the next contest? I still want to see some Spelljammer. Or we could go with a 7 deadly sins theme (or 7 cardinal virtues). Or prestige classes for a weird creature type (elementals, plants, magical beasts, etc).

Amechra
2012-07-11, 07:56 PM
Why don't we do something really weird? Like making it so that you change to controlling two characters, or some such?

TheGeckoKing
2012-07-11, 08:43 PM
Why don't we do something really weird? Like making it so that you change to controlling two characters, or some such?

I like this, but maybe open it up further - A contest based around controlling multiple entities/having a "pet", which would allow for stuff like summoning PrCs, "Beastmaster" PrCs, and a mount granting PrC.

Aeryr
2012-07-13, 11:06 AM
I like this, but maybe open it up further - A contest based around controlling multiple entities/having a "pet", which would allow for stuff like summoning PrCs, "Beastmaster" PrCs, and a mount granting PrC.

That gave me an idea... and I would like to explore it :smallsmile:

Techwarrior
2012-07-13, 12:06 PM

I would also be like to see this one done.

ErrantX
2012-07-14, 06:52 PM
*peers around*

Hey folks, been a while (no, I did not die). Not much been going on here lately, but I see that people are asking for a Prestige Class contest again. If you're all okay with myself starting it up, I'd be happy to. It seems that this contest has a slight curse on it, in that whomever runs it always has irl issues like crazy regarding time for it. That being said, I've got time right now, so I'm able to take care of this one.

Thoughts?

-X

JoshuaZ
2012-07-14, 06:58 PM
*peers around*

Hey folks, been a while (no, I did not die). Not much been going on here lately, but I see that people are asking for a Prestige Class contest again. If you're all okay with myself starting it up, I'd be happy to. It seems that this contest has a slight curse on it, in that whomever runs it always has irl issues like crazy regarding time for it. That being said, I've got time right now, so I'm able to take care of this one.

Thoughts?

-X

Welcome back. Good to hear that things are ok IRL. You've run it before quite well, so I'd like you to run it again if you have the time.

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-14, 10:33 PM
*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY YOU'RE BACK!

I made ToB PrCs! THEY NEED REVIEWS!

Krimm_Blackleaf
2012-07-15, 11:10 AM
*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X

That'd be lovely. Maybe I'll join in.

Morph Bark
2012-07-15, 12:08 PM
*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X

Welcome home, Granpa Ranty! :3

Let's have fun!

ErrantX
2012-07-15, 07:20 PM
Alright, then I shall take up the mantle once more and I'll begin anew. Expect a new contest and maybe even a chat thread this afternoon.

-X

Morph Bark
2012-07-15, 07:27 PM
What's wrong with this current Chat thread?

Keeping my fingers crossed for awesome theme I can get inspiration for. In the meantime, the Base Class Challenge XII voting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=248256) is still going on! Get in there if you haven't yet! :smalltongue::smallbiggrin:

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-15, 07:53 PM
So Errant...if I PM you some links, can I get some PEACH on my ToB stuff? I value your opinion thereupon.

ErrantX
2012-07-16, 12:04 PM
Contest posted (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249689), and by demand it seemed that a pet based contest was of the interest, so let's do it!

Questions or comments, toss em this way.

@Lord_Gareth: Of course dude, you and I need to catch up, it's been forever!

@Krimm_Blackleaf: Well as I live and breathe, if Krimm's gonna take part you're all gonna definitely bring your A+ game.

-X

EdroGrimshell
2012-07-16, 12:31 PM
I think i'm going to make a familiar mage, with a twist

Lord_Gareth
2012-07-16, 01:16 PM
Oooh, pets! I think I'll make one based on my Malefactor base class!

Incidentally Errant, here's the two PrCs: the Knights of the Fractured Prism (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233385) and the Dukes of the Last Light (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245051).

TheGeckoKing
2012-07-16, 03:41 PM
My prestige class based on riding a Baby Tarrasque should be done shortly. Hope it's not too silly sounding. :smallbiggrin:
EDIT: It's done now! I beat The Spectre of Procrastination! Yay!

EdroGrimshell
2012-07-16, 04:46 PM
Looks fun, and i like the entry description.

Will have my class up sometime this week hopefully.

Amechra
2012-07-16, 06:16 PM
I just have to stat out the class features for my shamanistic, horse-riding, essentia binding, mofo.

And yes, you can get in ENTIRELY through feats.

Glimbur
2012-07-16, 07:10 PM
I'm in. I'm pretty confident that no one is going to come up with the same idea I did, but as a teaser I'll say it is an unconventional approach to psionics.

Owrtho
2012-07-16, 07:31 PM
This contest makes me want to make a prc based on Nrvnqsr Chaos (http://typemoon.wikia.com/wiki/Nrvnqsr_Chaos). After all, what's more focused on familiars than having a few hundred of them? Perhaps I'll find the time to do so.

Owrtho

boomwolf
2012-07-18, 05:37 AM
Well, I think I might be making a return to the scene as well.

snake charmer? too cliche?

Ok...got another concept, but it slightly delves into the realms of madness so maybe its a bad idea...Imaginary fried PrC. (some sort of hyper-advanced unseen servant.)

Other, more sane ideas for people to maybe look at:

Squiq tamer!
White Lion! (if you know these two you know why they are badass)
Swarm master
a class around item familiar that gets -really- bat**** crazy, powerful and unreliable.
CHICKENS EDDY!
A class FOR the familiar (the familiar turns into the main character, the "real" one turns into the support character)

God i got infinite number of these.

EDIT: MOTHER OF GOD! a living spell familiar!!!!

Fable Wright
2012-07-18, 05:50 AM
EDIT: MOTHER OF GOD! a living spell familiar!!!!

See Dragon Magazine 357, Eberron section for some ideas for that. :smallwink:

Would a small cloud of semi-sentient psycrystal shards that can share a hivemind from time to time be considered a pet?

hierophant
2012-07-18, 07:56 AM
Oh man have I got a good idea for this one! Need to let it stew for a bit, but I like where my brain-thinkings are taking me.

Spoiler: Craft yourself up a collar and mind-control one of your favoured enemies.

EdroGrimshell
2012-07-18, 10:54 AM
Ok...got another concept, but it slightly delves into the realms of madness so maybe its a bad idea...Imaginary fried PrC. (some sort of hyper-advanced unseen servant.)

Hm, Pyromancer has a feat line based on the Imaginary Friend idea. May look to that for an idea. Also, i suggest astral construct + unseen servant + eidolon (either pathfinder or Raiki (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155181)'s take). Might be fun.

Techwarrior
2012-07-18, 11:13 AM
Hm... with all these ideas flying around, I better post mine before it flies away with someone else.

Techwarrior
2012-07-18, 09:00 PM
Would anyone mind looking over mine and seeing if the abilities function right. The mechanics should all be there. I'm going to add fluff later.

boomwolf
2012-07-19, 07:14 PM
I think it would be easier to word it with a level 0 instead of the current awkward wording of the pre-level-1 situation and write it is gained by the ritual and you must take 1st level in the class once you level up.

Other then that, seems interesting mechanic-wise.

Still lacking a solidified concept.

Zaydos
2012-07-20, 10:20 AM
I've got a concept so I might as well throw my claw into the ring. Hopefully it will be up sometime tomorrow or the next day.

boomwolf
2012-07-21, 06:19 AM
Hehehe...

Got one...

If any one you plays League of Legends-I am going to recreate Swain's ulti, having the class based around merging with your familiar to create one superior being.

Either that, or a transfer from MtG to DnD of the Gemni Engine (AKA-warforged with a "companion" that is in fact a replica of himself)

ErrantX
2012-07-23, 11:55 PM
Oooh, pets! I think I'll make one based on my Malefactor base class!

Incidentally Errant, here's the two PrCs: the Knights of the Fractured Prism (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=233385) and the Dukes of the Last Light (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=245051).

Done and done!

Also, has anyone any questions or anything about the contest? Something that they're in need of PEACHing or a new mechanic they want to try out?

-X

Divayth Fyr
2012-07-24, 10:47 AM
Also, has anyone any questions or anything about the contest?
Does pointing out that someone's signature is somewhat outdated count? ;)

EdroGrimshell
2012-07-24, 08:12 PM
If any one you plays League of Legends-I am going to recreate Swain's ulti, having the class based around merging with your familiar to create one superior being.

I sorta did that already with my Familiarist class. One of the Familiar Growths is fusing familiars, and one of the notables actually focused on that.

Zaydos
2012-07-24, 10:56 PM
I thought boomwolf meant a PrC where you combine with your familiar gaining benefits from doing so and in so doing lose your familiar.

munchlord
2012-07-25, 02:17 PM
Can someone help me out. My spoiler blocks are acting up and I can't for the (un)life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Zaydos
2012-07-25, 02:28 PM
If you want a spoiler to work it needs to be [Spoiler] (bold added because I don't know how no parse tags work). Remove the "=name of spoiler tag" portions of the tags and they should work fine. Put, probably in bold the "name of spoiler tag" the line before the spoiler. I hope that helps.

Glimbur
2012-07-25, 02:49 PM
Can someone help me out. My spoiler blocks are acting up and I can't for the (un)life of me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

You also have to close the spoiler which works just the same but with a / inside of the brackets around spoiler.

munchlord
2012-07-25, 04:01 PM
If you want a spoiler to work it needs to be [Spoiler] (bold added because I don't know how no parse tags work). Remove the "=name of spoiler tag" portions of the tags and they should work fine. Put, probably in bold the "name of spoiler tag" the line before the spoiler. I hope that helps.

Thanks man, that helps

Zelkon
2012-07-25, 04:41 PM
So, are you allowed to get the class PEACHed, or does it all have to be your own work? Can you work as a team?

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-07-25, 04:53 PM
On Zaydos's encouragement I've decided to join this contest. I'm working on an entry currently. I've never homebrewed before, so hopefully my DMing knowledge will hold out and not make something weak or broken.

As for the concept, it's going to be an alchemical class. I noticed there was another one on there but I haven't read through it; hopefully mine will be different enough to hold its own.

So wish me luck! :smallsmile:

ErrantX
2012-07-25, 06:31 PM
So, are you allowed to get the class PEACHed, or does it all have to be your own work? Can you work as a team?

PEACHing is encouraged, actually, as the whole point is not bragging rights but its to produce quality homebrew. Bring your A game as it were. We as a community have used this contest and ones like it to produce some really fantastic work, and its through mutual critique and praise that we've gotten some truly amazing writing.

As far as teams? No, we're not doing teams atm (we've done that as a theme tho) but yes, it does have to be entirely your own work, and must be new (nothing posted here or elsewhere). Hope you throw your hat into the ring!

-X

bindin garoth
2012-07-25, 07:56 PM
Think I'll throw in my homebrew in this contest! It's been a while since I entered one.

Hyooz
2012-07-25, 09:10 PM
Ugh, I need to get back into the swing of homebrewing. It's been way too long. I've been away from any chance to game for so long motivation is hard to find. Maybe next contest.

hierophant
2012-07-25, 11:18 PM
Well, my original idea... changed, ever so slightly. Again.
I think I'm going to enjoy brewing up the daemonchain cultist more though, so that's okay.
I've never really worked with Incarnum before, so this should be fun. Admittedly, it's not a full meld-shaping class, but still. Fun.

P.S. Lots of entries this time! Nice.

ErrantX
2012-07-25, 11:56 PM
Well, my original idea... changed, ever so slightly. Again.
I think I'm going to enjoy brewing up the daemonchain cultist more though, so that's okay.
I've never really worked with Incarnum before, so this should be fun. Admittedly, it's not a full meld-shaping class, but still. Fun.

P.S. Lots of entries this time! Nice.

Helps that there was a hiatus, in a way. The contest faded away for a while and with it back, now we're in full swing like we oughta be :D

-X

Zelkon
2012-07-26, 10:02 AM
Do saves have to be normal progressions (ie. Poor and Good) or can they follow a non-traditional pattern?

ErrantX
2012-07-26, 11:53 AM
Do saves have to be normal progressions (ie. Poor and Good) or can they follow a non-traditional pattern?

I can't think of a situation where the normal progressions shouldn't be used to fit into a class. That being said, both Pathfinder and 3.5 have their specific save progressions for a reason and they're relatively valid reasons. If you feel that you must, well, by all means, but understand a lot of people may balk at your class specifically because the save progression "doesn't look quite right". I would strongly caution you against it; instead perhaps add a class feature that specifically grants a small untyped bonus to a specific singular save if you want to fake it.

My 2 cents anyhow.

-X

Realms of Chaos
2012-07-26, 12:25 PM
Does anyone else notice the lack of racial restriction on Holy Mount? I'm busy trying to imagine a human holy mount giving his halfling rider a piggyback ride into the battlefield. It is truly a wondrous image. :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2012-07-26, 12:26 PM
Does anyone else notice the lack of racial restriction on Holy Mount? I'm busy trying to imagine a human holy mount giving his halfling rider a piggyback ride into the battlefield. It is truly a wondrous image. :smallbiggrin:

Now all I am seeing is some weird scene from Gurren Lagann with Kamina screaming about fighting spirit with Simon holding a drill, weeping on his back as they charge into battle :P

-X

Gnomish Wanderer
2012-07-26, 12:49 PM
Who run Bartertown? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hgq4w4dqKsU#t=00m30s)

Owrtho
2012-07-26, 11:34 PM
Well, I put up the initial post of my entry. It's far from done, and most of the abilities have terrible wording (suggestions for fixing that would be appreciated), but it is a start, and hopefully is understandable. It is a class built on the idea of combining with your familiar to be stronger, but goes about it a bit differently from most of the other people who have put forward such an idea I think. In any event feedback is welcome. As a side note, would granting it regeneration as a capstone be too much?

Owrtho

Pyromancer999
2012-07-26, 11:39 PM
Well, I put up the initial post of my entry. It's far from done, and most of the abilities have terrible wording (suggestions for fixing that would be appreciated), but it is a start, and hopefully is understandable. It is a class built on the idea of combining with your familiar to be stronger, but goes about it a bit differently from most of the other people who have put forward such an idea I think. In any event feedback is welcome. As a side note, would granting it regeneration as a capstone be too much?

Owrtho

Idk on the capstone, but doesn't 20 creatures/pool seem a little too much? Especially when that adds up to 200 creatures at 10th level? Just a thought.

Owrtho
2012-07-27, 01:42 AM
Idk on the capstone, but doesn't 20 creatures/pool seem a little too much? Especially when that adds up to 200 creatures at 10th level? Just a thought.

220 you mean. You need two creatures to qualify which each get made into a separate pool. As for the number being 200, it's not like you actually have that many creatures. Any time you have one of the familiars, you randomly select 1 of the 20 for it to be, but you can't have more out than you have pools. The point of the 20 per pool is that each pool be sufficiently random in what creature comes out, while still allowing you to specialize pools some for a given task. Also, nothing stops the player from making all pools the same (the limitations are only within the specific pool).

Owrtho

dspeyer
2012-07-27, 02:16 AM

I did consider that. And I decided: why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Now we just need some small, horse-like race for a human to carry around and the cycle is complete.

ErrantX
2012-07-27, 12:41 PM
I did consider that. And I decided: why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Now we just need some small, horse-like race for a human to carry around and the cycle is complete.

Some sort of a cross between a dwarf and a Shetland pony, be almost poetic.

-X

Zelkon
2012-07-27, 04:19 PM
If anyone wants to PEACH my entry so far, far be it from me to stop you *hinthint*

Zaydos
2012-07-27, 08:21 PM
If anyone wants to PEACH my entry so far, far be it from me to stop you *hinthint*

I would but without Necromantic Powers or Undead Ally typed up, and with only 2 options for Bolster Undead which as written implies you ought to get 4 minimum, it's kind of impossible. There's just not enough there, when your three main abilities aren't there and neither is your capstone.

Gurrdurr99
2012-07-27, 08:27 PM

Certainly.

Finish the class before asking for PEACH. That is my critique.

Zelkon
2012-07-27, 09:59 PM
PEACH was definately not the right word.

Zelkon
2012-07-28, 11:36 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for the Necromantic Flexibility ability for spontaneous casters?

Glimbur
2012-07-30, 09:33 PM
Does anyone have any ideas for the Necromantic Flexibility ability for spontaneous casters?

Give them extra spells known that have to be spent on the spells you let prepared casters cast spontaneously. If you already required them to know those spells, just give theme extra spells known. It's a similar effect, and helpful without being crazy good.

Pyromancer999
2012-07-30, 09:43 PM

What Glimbur said, although I'd probably make a requirement that they would have to be Necromancy school spells, as that makes more sense. Also, for future PEACHing of a class, PrC or otherwise, it helps not to have two versions of it out there, as I've noticed you've also started a thread outside the contest. It makes it more easy to change one version as opposed to two. Just a hint for future contests.

ErrantX
2012-08-02, 08:56 PM
Well folks, here we are, halfway through the contest. Two more weeks remaining.

Let's see what we got here...

The Tamer of the Devourer is neat and fun, quite different. The writing style is funny, and at first I was thinking, "Oh gods, not another joke class" but while the writing is very tongue in cheek, the class is not intended to be a complete rip on the contest and is in fact a serious entry. Good stuff, made me laugh a few times.

Soul Bound Postillon, let's see.. picture is broken, and the class is unfinished. Two more weeks!

Familiarist is complete looking and ready to compete, good looking class as well. I like it!

Divided Soul is nearly complete. Picture is coming up broken to me and I personally think it needs some introduction fluff to get you into it, and some of the background fluff isn't complete. But so far so good, and some more exposition on a few of the abilities. Otherwise it's got some good ideas in it and I like the concept.

Alchemic Archer is cool, I like the pet being a bomb-sniffing/delivering animal. Obviously there isn't such a thing in PF as a grenade launcher but this comes very close.

Abberant Shepherd is seriously neat, I really like Lovecraftian horror and you've gone and made something pretty awesome with it. LOTS of Fluff, love it. Good work!

Another sneaky class, the Promethean Psion surprised me. At first I saw the picture and groaned but it actually has a really cool flavor to it and neat abilities to boot, really brings those barbaric types out to get neat substance to them. Good stuff, goofy picture :P

Soulbond Necromancer, first off, awesome pic. Next, cool ideas here, but I personally don't see any reason to ditch caster levels on this one except at first level unless the undead companion is going to get a heck of lot of cool. Additionally, the class (obviously) needs finishing with the Reclaim the Lost Soul ability. Fantastic start though!

Friend of Undeath isn't finished enough for me to comment other than to say keep it up!

Holy Mount just makes me laugh, because its a complete reversal yet oddly not of the theme. Neat ideas though! I dig it!

Daemonchain Cultist is unfinished but has a neat premise.

Body of Chaos is really friggin' neat, I dig it! Just needs some of the fluff finished and its good to go!

Protege of the Iron Dragon is also unfinished but has a really neat concept as well.

Okay, that's what I got so far, and this is also to bump us back to the 1st page. Two more weeks, lets finish these entryies, maybe get another 4-5 of em, and call it a win!

-X

Zelkon
2012-08-02, 11:14 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a necromantic power? Like, just a concept.

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-03, 06:09 PM
Got some more work to do on the familiarist, but it's mainly minor stuff and abilities.

Now it's done.

JoshuaZ
2012-08-03, 09:40 PM
Anyone have a suggestion for a necromantic power? Like, just a concept.

For what levels?

Nihilarian
2012-08-03, 09:52 PM
The inability to create a PC with a mount large enough to step on enemies like they were ants seems a serious design flaw in pathfinder. I'm going to try to remedy that. :smallsmile:

I'm going to give it a day or so to sit before coming back to it with fresh eyes. I'd love to hear opinions in the meanwhile. Honestly I'm worried I didn't quite make it big enough... :smallbiggrin:

boomwolf
2012-08-03, 10:29 PM
Still got no clue on how to make my class concept in any way sane in power level, I fear that if I get it even slightly wrong I would hit a tier -1 (thats a tier MINUS one folks. even making tier 0 cry) balance there with something that can literally be never beaten by anything else at a similar level.

How on earth do you balance out the ability to make fully functional clones of yourself when you are a godamn caster?!?!?

Zelkon
2012-08-03, 11:08 PM
For what levels?

Any. Concepts can be made to fit any levels (well, kind of), and they can always scale higher. Remember, they lose 9th level spells, so they can't be level 9.

How on earth do you balance out the ability to make fully functional clones of yourself when you are a godamn caster?!?!?
Caster level one, must choose a singe school for spells, lose 9th level spells? Just some suggestions.

Zaydos
2012-08-03, 11:14 PM

Split hp pool? Shared casting pool? Lose Spell-levels? Some combination?

Techwarrior
2012-08-04, 12:52 AM
Split HP pool is not scary to a caster. Not a well-played caster. A well-played caster has negation for anything, if he doesn't, he fails. That's how they get away with d4 hit die. Split casting, and costing spell slots to use would work.
Other possibilites include:
Weakened Caster Level and DC while doing so
Death of one having complications for the others
The original caster having to concentrate to control them
The original caster having to make some other sacrifice to control them.
Not giving them new spell levels, but improved caster level

That's not everything you could do, but that's a nice list to start with.

In news regarding my own entry, mine should be mechanically finished, I'm still working on the fluff, which normally is the first thing for me. :smallsigh: I've got some ideas though, and I'm letting them simmer. Peaches are nice, in particular I'd like to get some thoughts on the feat list. A few of them I think might be a little weak.

Morph Bark
2012-08-04, 04:58 AM
For splitting into two, consider having them be under a kind of effect as if they had two negative levels, except not removeable, plus the split hp pool and shared casting pool.

Xallace
2012-08-04, 01:20 PM
Ah, curses. I was hoping to put my homebrewing gloves back on and re-enter this time, but it looks like someone beat me to the "swarm of corvidae" theme. Now I feel like I'll be stepping on someone's toes.

boomwolf
2012-08-04, 06:16 PM
Well, I already make them split HP and spells once they split (even spells known are split between the two, though it only relevant when you unlock the permanent split, or at spontaneous casters.) and have them gain caster levels slower and effectively lower HD for the effects of spells.

but the screw up of the action economy still makes it hard to balance properly, while his best spell is still a few levels behind a true caster, casting two 6th level spells is probably better then a single 8th level one.

Nihilarian
2012-08-07, 09:37 PM
Several big changes. Reworked the wording of most of the abilities not outright changed. Changed Collateral Damage (again), before I renamed it Grand Slam. Also added (new) Collateral Damage and Roar. The saving throws for Stomp and Roar are based off of Constitution.

Completely rewrote Mounted Warrior and As One; Mounted Warrior was too similar to (and even worse than) the Cavalier's Order of the Sword ability, and As One was just too much change in too little a time. The beast mount now gains proficiency in progressively heavier armor as he goes up in levels. Specified that the size increases from Behemoth and As One don't stack with the Brute ability. Wall Smasher now eventually ignores all hardness.

PEACH.

Zelkon
2012-08-08, 07:46 AM
Is "sample encounter" required? Also, still looking for ideas for Necromantic Powers and undead abilities.

ErrantX
2012-08-09, 08:01 PM
Is "sample encounter" required? Also, still looking for ideas for Necromantic Powers and undead abilities.

No, I leave it in there in case someone feels the need to flex their 'Fu on making a twinky signature character for it.

-X

Sgt. Cookie
2012-08-09, 08:20 PM
Daft question, Errant, but do we have to make a 10 level PrC, or could we have shorter (or longer) ones if we wanted to?

Zelkon
2012-08-09, 09:25 PM
Looked up "necromancy spells" for inspiration. Was met with "witchcraft for the 21st century," "how to raise an undead," and the forgotten realms wiki.

Temotei
2012-08-09, 10:35 PM
Daft question, Errant, but do we have to make a 10 level PrC, or could we have shorter (or longer) ones if we wanted to?

Plenty of 5-level prestige classes are entered.

ErrantX
2012-08-10, 12:15 AM

Plenty of 5-level prestige classes are entered.

Temotei got this one, yeah, just do what feels right. If you've got enough material to make a rock solid 5 level class, go for it. If it really feels like its longer, go for it. If you come up with a class that involves pets of the 12 signs of the Zodiac, well, make it a 12 level class and call it good. Use your judgment; just make the class so you're happy with it and it will reflect in your work.

Looked up "necromancy spells" for inspiration. Was met with "witchcraft for the 21st century," "how to raise an undead," and the forgotten realms wiki.

If you want some inspiration, the Playground has tons of resources outside of the SRD. Myself, if you check my sig, I've made a class called Ebon Initiate which is a necromancy-themed invoker with half a dozen or so prestige classes attached to it. Check the Homebrewer's sig for inspiration, think of books you've read, movies and TV you've watched. Just because it doesn't exist yet doesn't mean you can't make it. If there aren't spells that do what you want? Make them up. You need feats? Write em up. You're not limited to a class and its abilities; if you need to make creatures, feats and spells go for it.

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-10, 01:08 AM
I know I've made feats a couple of times for my classes ^_^ Made two for my Nightsinger that I just bumped, actually.

Zaydos
2012-08-10, 01:11 AM
I made a feat for my entry in this contest... and meant to make more but got distracted by other things.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-10, 01:12 AM
Tell me ErrantX - I've got six days to come up with a PrC for this theme. Would a class that creates and customizes its own sapient item count?

ErrantX
2012-08-10, 01:44 AM
Tell me ErrantX - I've got six days to come up with a PrC for this theme. Would a class that creates and customizes its own sapient item count?

Using the word 'sapient' means it counts. Mission impossible, go make a winning entry or this forum will self-destruct and Tom Cruise will come to your house and scan you. Long time.

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-10, 01:55 AM
Using the word 'sapient' means it counts. Mission impossible, go make a winning entry or this forum will self-destruct and Tom Cruise will come to your house and scan you. Long time.

-X

I would certainly like to win, especially after a couple of contests where I felt outright cheated of victory.

Expect the Judices of the Pale Thorn soon.

ErrantX
2012-08-10, 06:21 PM
I would certainly like to win, especially after a couple of contests where I felt outright cheated of victory.

Expect the Judices of the Pale Thorn soon.

Ooooo... Children of the Mausoleum related. Heck. Yes.

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-10, 06:31 PM
Ooooo... Children of the Mausoleum related. Heck. Yes.

-X

I thought that might excite you.

I'll get more work done on them soon. When they're done, can I beg you for a PEACH? I started a bit late, and with only six days to both work and edit, I'll need the help.

ErrantX
2012-08-10, 06:51 PM
I thought that might excite you.

I'll get more work done on them soon. When they're done, can I beg you for a PEACH? I started a bit late, and with only six days to both work and edit, I'll need the help.

My pleasure. I'd be happy to.

-X

Zelkon
2012-08-10, 11:11 PM
It's done!
PEACH at this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13706822#post13706822) thread!

hierophant
2012-08-11, 08:32 PM
Okay, so I might not actually get the time to write up the last of my crunch until just before the deadline, so if I could get any feedback on what is there already would be great... even just spell-checking and editing would be nice!
I've got a few ideas for rounding out those boring 5th and 8th levels too.

Just quickly, Lord Gareth - shrubbery jokes aside, I feel like Gardening and Horticulture should be profession skills, not craft :smalltongue:

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-12, 12:11 AM
Alright, my in-laws are throwing me off the computer (I spent all of twenty minutes on it), but I have my ability names finished. Now for a time-honored Lord_Gareth tradition - based on only the names, guess what the abilities do.

Zelkon
2012-08-12, 09:47 PM
Pretty PEACH? I kinda don't this PrC to be a heaping mass of crap.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-13, 05:39 PM
I'm whipping out abilities as fast as I can type 'em. Be careful - they may still be hot from the friction burns.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-13, 08:11 PM
Does this close at midnight tonight or tomorrow?

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-13, 09:17 PM
CRUNCH IS DOOOOOOOOOOONE!

Morph Bark
2012-08-14, 04:05 AM
Does this close at midnight tonight or tomorrow?

Worse. Two days from now.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-14, 09:32 AM
Well, I have finished the work on the Judices of the Pale Thorn, and would deeply appreciate any PEACHing or even just shorter reviews that I might get; emergency edits will need to be very swift indeed.

Glimbur
2012-08-14, 04:55 PM
Pretty PEACH? I kinda don't this PrC to be a heaping mass of crap.

Let's do this.

Fluff suggests that we are going to get a companion, cohort, whatever you want to call it, that is undead.

Skill requirements mean you get in after level 7, which is unusual but fine. Feat requirements: I read it as any one of (Spell Focus (necromancy), Extra Turning, or Iron Will). If you wanted Spell Focus (Necromancy) and one of Extra Turning, or Iron Will then write it differently. You have misspelled Spellcasting, and you should bold the 'or' in the first sentence to make it stand out more clearly. Requiring specific spells known is probably ok, I find it inelegant but it fits what I think you want to do so go for it. Special requirement is whatever; it is probably unnecessary but not very hard either.

Skill list looks like typical caster skills; it is anemic but I suspect this is purposeful. d4 hit die is typical for casters.

1/2 bab and only good will is very wizard.

6/10 casting with 2 bonus CL is painful.

The order of what you describe for Undead Ally is kind of strange. I would start with its basic stats: where attributes come from, how many hit dice, special abilities, etc. Then make a paragraph on how you interact with it.

Are Necromantic Powers at-will or uses/day? Do spontaneous casters decide day by day to suppress normal spells and instead use powers, or do they have powers in addition to their spells?

Raise Undead is cheaper than standard necromancy, but also not very strong minions. Could have synergy with Destruction Retribution or whatever that Corpsecrafter feat is that causes neg energy explosions, otherwise chaff.

Draining touch: does this heal me or give me temp hp? It becomes a nasty debuff at higher levels, but that happens at level 19 or 20, at which point I question the wisdom of a caster who is touching things. Spectral Hand exists, but even so high levels are wonky.

Gaining a d12 hit die is rather strange... also your party might intentionally cast Sleep on people before combat to use this on them. You might want to add some sort of mind control on the enemies who are revived by this at 5th level, otherwise it's a bad idea.

Defile Ground looks strong. Really strong. Especially since you can prepare a battlefield with it, what with the hours/level duration and all. I might make it rounds/level, which still leaves it scary but costs an action in combat.

Cemetery is, again, long lasting which makes it stronger. Metamagic reduction is only helpful to spont casters, since prepared casters have to metamagic the night before. I see why you turn all dead into human commoners, but it's strange to imagine a dragon rising as... a human zombie. The 7th level version is really strong...

Soul Theft is very strong. Look at Planar Binding. Look at this class feature. Cry. In addition, a save-or-die as an 8th level that doesn't get benefits from Spell Focus (Necro) or other misc stuff is probably fine even with permadeath. Kind of lame to face as a PC, but you should expect straight up murder at this level.

Undead Sacrifice is a lot of things smushed together. Nausea for hours is a death sentence, exploding undead are good fun, and raising undead from explosions is pretty strong. You might make the type of undead strictly based on the HD of the victim, with control determined by your CL. As it stands, you could penalize your CL (negative levels are an easy way) and make vampires out of commoners.

Disrupt Necrotic Energy is... underwhelming.

Befriend Undeath could be lower level.

Slay is like Finger of Death, but longer ranged, raises them as undead, and requires at least one level of this PrC to get access to. Underpowered.

Ah, Necromantic Flexibility sort of answers the question I asked about spells known v powers. Add "that you can cast" to the end of your sentence about spont casters, otherwise you'll get a joker with that feat that lets you spend two slots of level N to get a spell of N+1 casting spells before they are supposed to.

Bolster Undead is a waste of an action in combat. Maybe make it last [casting mod] rounds instead of one. How many times per day is this supposed to be usable?

Improved Creation is an ok buff.

Channel Spell is nice. Normal pet-class stuff, but necromancy has some nasty touch spells.

Life to Undeath is like your Slay power without any of the good bits: you strip the nice stats, special abilities, natural armor... I would rather kill the critter some other way and raise it normally. This is a waste of a corpse. Maybe take out all those caveats about what it does not inherit, but make it take ten minutes to rise so it's not as good in one combat.

Master of Necromancy is no big deal. It helps a little with the loss of 9th level spells.

Sentient Ally is like Leadership, but you have 10 class levels to play with when a normal leader at level 17 has 15 levels. Maybe tie its number of class levels to your character level. Of course, Leadership is pretty powerful so comparing stuff to it is questionable.

Fluff is fluff.

All in all, the main draw of the class is the powers, not the companion. That might cost some style points (not that there are style points). The powers are not really worth trading spell levels for, but they are strong enough that the class is not underpowered in what I assume to be normal play. I pointed out a few things which are possibly too good, mostly Soul Theft. The flavor is consistent, but a little broad. I would have liked a tighter focus on making one really good undead.

Owrtho
2012-08-14, 09:27 PM
Right, so Body of Chaos has undergone aminorupdate. Anyway, it should now be complete baring any peaching, need to clarify thing, and adjustments needed for balance. As such peaching would be appreciated. My main concern is if familiar advancement might not be too much (and I am considering removing it as such). Well, that and wording, which I feel could be vastly improved in many parts even if I'm not quite sure how best to do that myself. Anyway, looks likely to be an interesting contest.

Owrtho

Zelkon
2012-08-14, 10:00 PM
Let's do this.

Fluff suggests that we are going to get a companion, cohort, whatever you want to call it, that is undead.

Skill requirements mean you get in after level 7, which is unusual but fine. Feat requirements: I read it as any one of (Spell Focus (necromancy), Extra Turning, or Iron Will). If you wanted Spell Focus (Necromancy) and one of Extra Turning, or Iron Will then write it differently. You have misspelled Spellcasting, and you should bold the 'or' in the first sentence to make it stand out more clearly. Requiring specific spells known is probably ok, I find it inelegant but it fits what I think you want to do so go for it. Special requirement is whatever; it is probably unnecessary but not very hard either.

Made some minor fixes; all good now. Big one is that corpsecrafter replaces iron will as one of the options.

Skill list looks like typical caster skills; it is anemic but I suspect this is purposeful. d4 hit die is typical for casters.
1/2 bab and only good will is very wizard.
6/10 casting with 2 bonus CL is painful.

Actually, It's 7/10 casting. You lose 1st, 4th, and 8th. Do you think that's too much? I might need to bump the BaB up a bit to make it cleric viable.

The order of what you describe for Undead Ally is kind of strange. I would start with its basic stats: where attributes come from, how many hit dice, special abilities, etc. Then make a paragraph on how you interact with it.

Fixed. Also, lowered cost for re-creating the ally.

Are Necromantic Powers at-will or uses/day? Do spontaneous casters decide day by day to suppress normal spells and instead use powers, or do they have powers in addition to their spells?

Clarified that they are once/day. I don't quite get the rest of the question, but a spontaneous caster has a separate pool of spells known and powers known that draw off the same spells/day.

Raise Undead is cheaper than standard necromancy, but also not very strong minions. Could have synergy with Destruction Retribution or whatever that Corpsecrafter feat is that causes neg energy explosions, otherwise chaff.
Improved to meat standards. Level one version is good for rezing a bunch of expendable minions to protect you and other squishes, level two is good for actually attacking, and the above levels can be used as a nice combo of both.

Draining touch: does this heal me or give me temp hp? It becomes a nasty debuff at higher levels, but that happens at level 19 or 20, at which point I question the wisdom of a caster who is touching things. Spectral Hand exists, but even so high levels are wonky.
Actual health. Also remember that the Undead Ally can deliver your touch attacks at that level when you stay with the PrC for a while.

Gaining a d12 hit die is rather strange... also your party might intentionally cast Sleep on people before combat to use this on them. You might want to add some sort of mind control on the enemies who are revived by this at 5th level, otherwise it's a bad idea.
Well, the HD fits in with the undead template...
Also, changed from unconscious to dying, and added that mind control effect.

Defile Ground looks strong. Really strong. Especially since you can prepare a battlefield with it, what with the hours/level duration and all. I might make it rounds/level, which still leaves it scary but costs an action in combat.

Debuffed accordingly. Now eats your Undead Ally's action and is rounds/level.

Cemetery is, again, long lasting which makes it stronger. Metamagic reduction is only helpful to spont casters, since prepared casters have to metamagic the night before. I see why you turn all dead into human commoners, but it's strange to imagine a dragon rising as... a human zombie. The 7th level version is really strong...

A human zombie is only the mechanics; describe the dragon however you want (it keeps its size). 7th level version debuffed in a rather roundabout way, if I do say so myself.

Soul Theft is very strong. Look at Planar Binding. Look at this class feature. Cry. In addition, a save-or-die as an 8th level that doesn't get benefits from Spell Focus (Necro) or other misc stuff is probably fine even with permadeath. Kind of lame to face as a PC, but you should expect straight up murder at this level.
No action taken. This is a PrC made with players in mind, and if the DM feels compelled to use such a horrifying ability on a PC, I'll be left to wonder what that PC had done to deserve it.

Undead Sacrifice is a lot of things smushed together. Nausea for hours is a death sentence, exploding undead are good fun, and raising undead from explosions is pretty strong. You might make the type of undead strictly based on the HD of the victim, with control determined by your CL. As it stands, you could penalize your CL (negative levels are an easy way) and make vampires out of commoners.
Changed explicitly to avoid abuse.

Disrupt Necrotic Energy is... underwhelming.
I tried to fix that... don't know if it worked.

Befriend Undeath could be lower level.
Fixed. Buffed up durations, scaling, and effect if they make the save.

Slay is like Finger of Death, but longer ranged, raises them as undead, and requires at least one level of this PrC to get access to. Underpowered.
Well, considering the chance you'll get lucky and kill a dragon with it or something...
I did boost the successful save effect a bit, but other than that, I don't see why it's underpowered if it's like a better Finger of Death.

Ah, Necromantic Flexibility sort of answers the question I asked about spells known v powers. Add "that you can cast" to the end of your sentence about spont casters, otherwise you'll get a joker with that feat that lets you spend two slots of level N to get a spell of N+1 casting spells before they are supposed to.
Done.

Bolster Undead is a waste of an action in combat. Maybe make it last [casting mod] rounds instead of one. How many times per day is this supposed to be usable?
Done. The number of times is shown in the table.

Improved Creation is an ok buff.
No action taken.

Channel Spell is nice. Normal pet-class stuff, but necromancy has some nasty touch spells.
Two or three necrotic powers are helped by this, too.

Life to Undeath is like your Slay power without any of the good bits: you strip the nice stats, special abilities, natural armor... I would rather kill the critter some other way and raise it normally. This is a waste of a corpse. Maybe take out all those caveats about what it does not inherit, but make it take ten minutes to rise so it's not as good in one combat.
Done. Just took away a bunch of limits and made it not count towards your total HD of undead.

Master of Necromancy is no big deal. It helps a little with the loss of 9th level spells.
Slight buff to twice/day. Also, this is any necromancy spell, not just limited to ones you know.

Sentient Ally is like Leadership, but you have 10 class levels to play with when a normal leader at level 17 has 15 levels. Maybe tie its number of class levels to your character level. Of course, Leadership is pretty powerful so comparing stuff to it is questionable.
Sigh. This is power creep right here. "well, this super-OP thing is better than this, so lets make this better than the super-OP thing." Well, I did buff it up to level-3 and allow it to spellcast better and some other stuff that makes it a worthy capstone. Hopefully now it's worth it.

All in all, this class got a good buff. I hope that allows it to be on par with others.

Zelkon
2012-08-15, 07:33 AM
I'm done, it's PEACHed, and ready to go.

ErrantX
2012-08-15, 08:37 AM
Home stretch, tomorrow night at midnight Central time I'm calling it closed, I'll post a voting thread and by the weekend have the next contest started. Get your classes done! :D

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-15, 09:39 AM
Home stretch, tomorrow night at midnight Central time I'm calling it closed, I'll post a voting thread and by the weekend have the next contest started. Get your classes done! :D

-X

Need emergency PEACH badly!

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-15, 12:01 PM
Would like a quick PEACH as well, I'm almost positive I won't win with the familiarist, but I still want some feedback.

I'll take a look at yours Gareth. Give me a bit.

EDIT: Okay, PEACHing the Judex

Maneuvers/Spells: Pretty standard fair, good and simple, always a plus.

Masoleum Training: Seems to be more of a fluff thing but it is quite a nice boost for a ranger Judex. I see no problems here.

Bonded Keris: Ah the main feature of the class, I happen to like it, having a weapon made from an intelligent undead plant is interesting to say the least, and many of the features revolve around it so that makes this even more important. The fact it can't be lost/destroyed/stolen is useful too. The secondary function is also quite nice as a fluff ability. I like it.

Mandrake's Gift: Oh I like these, I'll have to get back to you later on the individual gifts, but none of them seem to be too powerful and are quite useful for the intended function.

Keris Blessing: Another very useful feature, it is great to have some customizability with the Keris. And most of the abilities are rather nice. Again, I'll have to get back to you on the individual ones, but I like them, personally.

Resist Death's Hunger: Standard fluff ability for many undead themed warrior classes. It's useful for the class's intended purpose and simple to work with.

Pale Judgement: Now this is a nice ability, though it is mainly fluff. Using this would be a good option if you have leadership or undead leadership. Would let you have some nice options for them without the constant feeding requirements.

Sacred Keris: Bane is a good property for a weapon if you go up against that specific type a lot, and the chosen banes are good, I think this is a pretty nice array. Not the best, but definitely a nice array.

Closing the Circle: A built in revival system is very useful. Though i have to ask, if you have the One with Nature mandrake's gift, would you lose the undead type and remain a plant or would the undead type override it?

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-15, 09:18 PM
Need emergency PEACH badly!

*woosh*

Super Djinn to the rescue!

Basically all excellent (great job!), but a few issues with the blessings/gifts.

The fly one and the damage reduction one are very powerful compared to the others. Incredibly so. Maybe stick level requirements on there. Also, give either hardness OR damage reduction. The two stack oddly (ie there are no rules do how they stack). Pick one: I'd use DR over hardness.

The only other balance comment is that Bloodlust is something NO one will pass up, meaning it's either to strong or everything else is to weak. As it's a HUGE amount of effectively free healing, I think it's WAY to strong. Even at 5-10 hit points back per it it would be a fairly strong ability, and combined with the DR granting ability I think you'll find that Judexes are FAR tanker than expected. Hitting twice and getting hit twice makes this combo the equivalent of 40 extra hp per round of combat. O_o. This also turns the +100 damage maneuver into a +100 damage / regain >200 hit points. That's obscene.

Rest of it is great though. I wish I had time for a more in-depth review, but I think the balance of the rest is pretty close. Good luck, my friend!

Jeff the Green
2012-08-15, 09:30 PM
I'm working on finishing the fluff for the Murder Lord (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=13668965&postcount=19), but if anyone feels up to an emergency PEACH of the crunch, I'd appreciate it.

Midwoka
2012-08-15, 10:51 PM
I was going to make another class feature and do a more thorough proofreading for the Other Half, but I'm out of time. It is what it is, now. =)

ErrantX
2012-08-16, 08:15 AM
Home stretch people, last day, midnight Central time tonight! I will get to some PEACHs on my lunch break today if I can!

-X

Zaydos
2012-08-16, 09:40 AM
:smalleek: I almost forgot to post a feat... still meant to make another 2-3 aberrant feats.

Morph Bark
2012-08-16, 09:42 AM
Should I do another last-minute entry?

Nahhh.

ErrantX
2012-08-16, 12:39 PM

Nahhh.

Oooo no fair teasing Morph!

-X

Morph Bark
2012-08-16, 05:18 PM
I had an idea for a long time, but figured the execution would just suck unless I really invested in it, which I couldn't do until now, but it would have lots of effort, which I couldn't bring up so much so quickly now after everything. My main idea was basically making a Mecha Pilot PrC, which could advance both martial prowess or magical prowess, depending on how you entered it. A beef I had with the idea was that people would most likely complain that I didn't actually include the mecha with it, as that would likely be a seperate, entire project, too big for this. On the other hand, if I did include it as part of this, it would be made too simplistic, or in a way that mecha could only be used by them, which wouldn't be my intention; they'd just be way better at it and could use other class abilities through the mecha.

It would be part of my campaign setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251075), so at some point, I'll have to make it anyway.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-16, 05:36 PM

Nahhh.

Man...if I weren't away from a computer, Morph, I'd challenge you to a last-minute homebrew-off for this contest. But I suspect my girlfriend might object to me taking several hours of my visit and using it to type up a class on my phone. :-P

Morph Bark
2012-08-16, 05:43 PM
Man...if I weren't away from a computer, Morph, I'd challenge you to a last-minute homebrew-off for this contest. But I suspect my girlfriend might object to me taking several hours of my visit and using it to type up a class on my phone. :-P

For the next contest lets travel back in time so we can chisel our homebrew into rock walls with nail and hammer, so we don't need these pesky electronic devices!

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-16, 06:17 PM
For the next contest lets travel back in time so we can chisel our homebrew into rock walls with nail and hammer, so we don't need these pesky electronic devices!

Wait...you don't do that already? That's how I draft EVERYTHING. It was really hard for the class I wrote an hour before the contest closed, let me tell you!

hierophant
2012-08-16, 10:13 PM
So I have less than two hours to get the two most important class features of the daemonchain cultist out of my head and written down. (Assuming I have the timezones right.)

Challenge accepted.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-16, 10:58 PM
Abilities edited, just in time.

hierophant
2012-08-16, 11:33 PM
All done! I think. Fingers crossed I haven't missed anything obvious.

ErrantX
2012-08-16, 11:48 PM
Down to the wire, 15 more minutes and the contest closes. I'm exhausted, so I'm going to bed. I'll put up a voting thread between 8-9am Central time. Good night everyone, happy homebrewing!

-X

ErrantX
2012-08-17, 08:34 AM
Alright, the voting thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252983) is up, go hit it. Questions or comments, leave em here, not in the voting thread or PM them to me privately.

Thanks and vote!

-X

Midwoka
2012-08-17, 12:09 PM
I did have to DQ a couple classes for either being unfinished or not containing the minimum amount of background to class.

I am saddened. =(

Zelkon
2012-08-17, 01:25 PM
Lord_Gareth, what does tres gauche mean? Google translate has it as "very left."

cooperflood
2012-08-17, 01:36 PM
It means tactless or tasteless.

Zelkon
2012-08-17, 01:41 PM
Voting for my own entry? Sorry...

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-17, 02:20 PM
Voting for my own entry? Sorry...

Normally considered fine if you honestly consider it the best of the best from an impartial angle. No rule AGAINST it, but it's not often done.

Zelkon
2012-08-17, 02:41 PM
Normally considered fine if you honestly consider it the best of the best from an impartial angle. No rule AGAINST it, but it's not often done.

Well, as long as I don't get any more votes (quite likely), the joke's on me. "hey, look at the idiot who voted for himself. He was just being super biased."
Well, I won't do it next time. I put a good deal of effort into this one so I'll go with it just this once.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-17, 03:50 PM
Oh, hey - try to grab other folks to vote too. More the merrier.

ErrantX
2012-08-19, 10:35 AM
So... should I start the next contest today as its been a couple days into the voting or should I wait til the voting is over? What do you guys want?

-X

Nihilarian
2012-08-19, 10:58 AM
If no one else is going to vote then no one else is going to vote.

I'd say give it another day, and if no one votes by tomorrow call it and start the next one.

EDIT: You never did link the classes to the table. I suppose it doesn't matter now...

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-19, 11:04 AM
So... should I start the next contest today as its been a couple days into the voting or should I wait til the voting is over? What do you guys want?

-X

I don't mind either way.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-19, 11:29 AM
If no one else is going to vote then no one else is going to vote.

I'd say give it another day, and if no one votes by tomorrow call it and start the next one.

EDIT: You never did link the classes to the table. I suppose it doesn't matter now...

He didn't say he was going to call it early - just start the new contest so people can start making ideas and working.

I say start it whenever you're ready. I look forward to seeing the new theme.

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 02:45 PM
Alright my friends, I've thought and decided and I will start the new contest tonight, be on the look out. Also: if you haven't voted yet, vote!

-X

Nihilarian
2012-08-20, 04:24 PM
Looking forward to it. :smallsmile:

Hopefully I'll do better this time.

Zelkon
2012-08-20, 04:39 PM
Looking forward to it. :smallsmile:

Hopefully I'll do better this time.

There's still time! For me to win.

Sorry for that.

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 05:14 PM
New contest is up!

Contest XXXIV: Items of Power! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253310)

Any questions or comments, toss em here or in a PM to me!

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-20, 05:15 PM
New contest is up!

Contest XXXIV: Items of Power! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=253310)

-X

BWAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

THE WORLD IS MINE, MINE, MIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Lohj
2012-08-20, 05:17 PM
I am upset because I made this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13580914#post13580914) two months ago.
-_-

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-20, 05:23 PM
New contest is up!

-X

Does it have to be an official item, or can we homebrew the item as well? I suspect it is the former, but I wanted to confirm.

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 05:24 PM
I am upset because I made this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=13580914#post13580914) two months ago.
-_-

I'm sorry :smallfrown: That is just bad timing on my part.

BWAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

THE WORLD IS MINE, MINE, MIIIIIIIIIIINE!

Someone's excited :smallamused:

-X

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 05:27 PM
Does it have to be an official item, or can we homebrew the item as well? I suspect it is the former, but I wanted to confirm.

Either or.

Just make sure that either way you make it, the class is expanding on the capabilities of the item. If it's a core Holy Avenger, make that sword do AWESOME things. If it's a homebrewed item such as a necklace that grants the ability to use detect thoughts at will, then abilities such as telepathy based psilike abilities make a lot of sense. Either way, the item is the source of the class's power in a large and very real way.

-X

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-20, 05:33 PM
Hm, would mundane items be okay? I started working on a class based on using Shapesand a few days ago.

Owrtho
2012-08-20, 05:33 PM

This item can be a brand new magical item or an existing item that you will be expanding upon the capabilities of beyond their simple use.

Given that sentence, I suspect that the item may be a homebrew one. That said, how specific does the item need to be? Does any of a given specific item work? A specific of a wide selection of items? Any item that meets a certain prerequisite (such as weapons that are enchanted to deal fire damage)?

Owrtho

God Imperror
2012-08-20, 05:37 PM
I am calling dibs on Power Armors. :smalltongue:

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 05:38 PM
Hm, would mundane items be okay? I started working on a class based on using Shapesand a few days ago.

I'm unfamiliar with shapesand, but umm... yeah, why not. At the end of the day it is going to be a fantastic item of some type right? So long as it fits under the auspice of an item creation feat that isn't potion or scroll or their psionic equivalents (tattoos and stones).

Given that sentence, I suspect that the item may be a homebrew one. That said, how specific does the item need to be? Does any of a given specific item work? A specific of a wide selection of items? Any item that meets a certain prerequisite (such as weapons that are enchanted to deal fire damage)?

Yes, it definitely can be a homebrew item that you've created yourself specifically for the contest. Any given item will work, just make sure that the class expands upon the abilities of the item as the class's features. Another good example from comic books would be a Green Lantern power ring, Iron Man's armor, or the Witchblade from the comic of the same name.

-X

Morph Bark
2012-08-20, 05:42 PM
Dude, ErrantX. Dude. Seriously. Dude.

This contest is exactly what I wanted. The PrC I had in mind for the previous one actually fits way better for this one.

So Djinn.

*staredown*

You and me man.

You.

And me.

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-20, 05:44 PM
I'm unfamiliar with shapesand, but umm... yeah, why not. At the end of the day it is going to be a fantastic item of some type right? So long as it fits under the auspice of an item creation feat that isn't potion or scroll or their psionic equivalents (tattoos and stones).

Shapesand is an alchemical item from Sandstorm.

I've actually got a couple ideas for this one though, so if it's not okay I can still make an entry.

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 05:45 PM

This contest is exactly what I wanted. The PrC I had in mind for the previous one actually fits way better for this one.

So Djinn.

*staredown*

You and me man.

You.

And me.

Gauntlet has been thrown, I think it's on like Donkey Kong! :smallcool:

Shapesand is an alchemical item from Sandstorm.

I've actually got a couple ideas for this one though, so if it's not okay I can still make an entry.

No, that's fine. Go to it. We're about inspiring creativity with a theme, and that's what has come to mind, then do it! :smallbiggrin:

-X

Nihilarian
2012-08-20, 05:58 PM
Does the class require the item to enter it, or can the item be created in the course of the class progression?

Does it have to be a specific magic item, or can it be a mundane item that acts as a focus for your abilities, which all take effect on the item itself?

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 06:00 PM
Does the class require the item to enter it, or can the item be created in the course of the class progression?

Does it have to be a specific magic item, or can it be a mundane item that acts as a focus for your abilities, which all take effect on the item itself?

1) So long as the character has it at 1st level of the prestige class, either getting it, making it, or possessing it previous to entering the class is up to you.

2) It does have to be a specific item, but the rest is up to you. It can be a focus, the features could buff the item, or the item can buff you. Whichever!

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-20, 06:03 PM

So Djinn.

*staredown*

You and me man.

You.

And me.

What am I, chopped liver? I'll take you both on and bind your souls into Shadesteel!

Errant, I must express sorrow in your banning of one-use items for this class. Can you not imagine some foul, loathsome coven of witches whose potions draw on the drinkers' iniquities, turning their vices into secret strength? Or something like the Candle Caster, from the old Tome and Blood supplement? An order of Artificers hunting for the Perfect Scroll? A society of chefs who believe in a recipe that will grant the one who eats it godhood?

Myself, though? I intend on basing mine around a classic, low-cost item from the SRD - something anyone can afford, but not everyone appreciates. We'll see how it goes.

Hyooz
2012-08-20, 06:07 PM
Iiiiiiiiinteresting. I'll have to come out of retirement for this.

Zelkon
2012-08-20, 06:20 PM
Dibs on ioun stones.
@ Lord_Gareth: Bag of Holding?
EDIT: or robe of many pockets? If not, I want to do that one too. SO MANY CHOICES!

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 06:24 PM
What am I, chopped liver? I'll take you both on and bind your souls into Shadesteel!

Errant, I must express sorrow in your banning of one-use items for this class. Can you not imagine some foul, loathsome coven of witches whose potions draw on the drinkers' iniquities, turning their vices into secret strength? Or something like the Candle Caster, from the old Tome and Blood supplement? An order of Artificers hunting for the Perfect Scroll? A society of chefs who believe in a recipe that will grant the one who eats it godhood?

Myself, though? I intend on basing mine around a classic, low-cost item from the SRD - something anyone can afford, but not everyone appreciates. We'll see how it goes.

Make a magic cauldron that makes potions for you that does that. Or a magical quill pen for awesometastic scroll making.

Iiiiiiiiinteresting. I'll have to come out of retirement for this.

*dangles the prize of bragging rights* Come'n'get it!

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-20, 06:37 PM
Dibs on ioun stones.
@ Lord_Gareth: Bag of Holding?
EDIT: or robe of many pockets? If not, I want to do that one too. SO MANY CHOICES!

My item is none of those. Indeed, it holds a special place in my heart.

Glimbur
2012-08-20, 07:29 PM
Dibs on Helm of Brilliance. Not that anyone else was likely to do it, but I'm calling dibs. The resulting class looks like a paladin but shinier.

EdroGrimshell
2012-08-20, 07:36 PM
Well, that's annoying. Something similar to my idea has already been done. I'll try something else.

sirpercival
2012-08-20, 07:40 PM
I am so tempted to make a joke class based on Boots & Cloak of Elvenkind, which turn you into an elf...

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 07:45 PM
I am so tempted to make a joke class based on Boots & Cloak of Elvenkind, which turn you into an elf...

While that is a funny idea, I try to push people away from making joke classes (at least deliberately-made-to-be joke classes, tongue in cheek is alright). I've DQ'd people for it. Just be forewarned.

-X

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-08-20, 07:45 PM
Well, after an almost-2-year break from homebrewing (my last 'brew was for Base Class Challenge IV :smallfrown:) I finally have the time to get back into the swing of things. This contest seems like a good place to start. :smallcool:

So, I have a few different ideas in mind. Of the following items, which would everyone rather see a PrC based on?
vorpal sword/sword of sharpness
ring of shooting stars
Quall's feather tokens
Nystul's marvelous pigments
apparatus of Kwalish

Morph Bark
2012-08-20, 07:47 PM
What am I, chopped liver?

Of course not.

You are the side dish.

(:smalltongue:)

I'll take you both on and bind your souls into Shadesteel!

You can try!

I, myself, will meanwhile have my PrC use one of the most expensive items out there. It will be epic, and possibly even Epic, but likely not the latter, yet assuredly the former. It will use magic, it will use technology, it will do battle near and far and it will be glorious.

I bid everyone to step aside, for it shall take large steps.

Nihilarian
2012-08-20, 07:48 PM
I think I'll use Lantern of Revealing.

Let's see if I can pull it off...

sirpercival
2012-08-20, 07:57 PM
While that is a funny idea, I try to push people away from making joke classes (at least deliberately-made-to-be joke classes, tongue in cheek is alright). I've DQ'd people for it. Just be forewarned.

-X

Oh I wouldn't enter such a thing in this contest. It's just a hilarious idea which I'll have to actually do at some point.

Serious question, though: just in case, what do you do if your entry requires enough supporting material to push it past the character limit?

(IIRC there is such a thing on these boards, though I may be mistaken.)

Glimbur
2012-08-20, 08:03 PM
apparatus of Kwalish

Do this one!

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-20, 08:03 PM
Of course not.

You are the side dish.

(:smalltongue:)

You can try!

I, myself, will meanwhile have my PrC use one of the most expensive items out there. It will be epic, and possibly even Epic, but likely not the latter, yet assuredly the former. It will use magic, it will use technology, it will do battle near and far and it will be glorious.

I bid everyone to step aside, for it shall take large steps.

You fool! You tip your hand with your intention to use the apparatus of Kwalish! NOW I SHALL DESTROY YOU!

TheGeckoKing
2012-08-20, 08:25 PM
I'm so building an item around the Aberrant Sphere when I get the time. :smallamused:

"Nyarlathotep, I choose you!"

ErrantX
2012-08-20, 08:39 PM
Well, after an almost-2-year break from homebrewing (my last 'brew was for Base Class Challenge IV :smallfrown:) I finally have the time to get back into the swing of things. This contest seems like a good place to start. :smallcool:

So, I have a few different ideas in mind. Of the following items, which would everyone rather see a PrC based on?
vorpal sword/sword of sharpness
ring of shooting stars
Quall's feather tokens
Nystul's marvelous pigments
apparatus of Kwalish

Good to see you back, Dice. I was gone a while myself, so it's nice to see more familiar faces! I'd vote either for Quall's feather tokens or the apparatus of Kwalish (but only if it becomes a transformer or a Gundam :smallbiggrin:).

Oh I wouldn't enter such a thing in this contest. It's just a hilarious idea which I'll have to actually do at some point.

Serious question, though: just in case, what do you do if your entry requires enough supporting material to push it past the character limit?

(IIRC there is such a thing on these boards, though I may be mistaken.)

Make two posts back to back? Don't post anything until you've actually got something to post; posting a placeholder before you do something in the contest is mechanically the same as being "first!" on a Youtube video.

Oh, and as an aside to everyone: You don't have to use the items already made, just to make sure you know this. You can homebrew a new item as well. I think its great you're picking core items though, don't get me wrong, but I just don't want people thinking they are being forced to use published items.

-X

sirpercival
2012-08-20, 08:45 PM
I vote Feather Tokens, I was going to use those until I hit on my current idea.

And re: char limit, yeah, that works. I don't think it'll be an issue, though.

PairO'Dice Lost
2012-08-20, 08:53 PM
Good to see you back, Dice. I was gone a while myself, so it's nice to see more familiar faces! I'd vote either for Quall's feather tokens or the apparatus of Kwalish (but only if it becomes a transformer or a Gundam :smallbiggrin:).

Maaaaybe.... :smallamused:

Well, that settles it. I call dibs on the apparatus of Kwalish.

hierophant
2012-08-20, 09:44 PM
I have ideas. I have all the ideas.

I have too many ideas :smallfrown:

But seriously. I'm currently leaning towards a non-caster crystal ball user. Or maybe not, I don't know...

I'd like to aim for a warrior type (full BAB, weapon focused) class, but man! I just can't chooooooooose. Will let this stew for a day or two.

Hyooz
2012-08-20, 11:05 PM
So I have an idea that I like, but I'm not sure it fits in the bounds of the contest.

Not to give too much away, but think of the item's function in this case as Iron Man's chest-battery. It's an irrevocable part of the user, it grants new and thematic abilities, but the item's use itself isn't really expanded upon (with the exception of becoming this "power source")

Kosher? Not so much?

Golden-Esque
2012-08-20, 11:24 PM
After a six-month hiatus, I'm also back, though I don't know whether or not I will be able to actually write something for the contests anymore.

I told Djinn so I might as well say it here as well; the reason I've been gone is that I accidentally stumbled into a part-time gig writing 3PP stuff for the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game. As a result, most of my time in the past six-or-so months went to co-writing a book called Pact Magic Unbound, Vol. 1. The Paizo thread is floating around the interwebs if you want to take a look.

Its actually really funny, because I didn't know anything at all about the Binder class until I started participating in these contests. I was especially inspired by Djinn's classic [I-can-never-spell-the-word-right] of the Iron Bands prestige class, which eventually led to my co-writing of the Seropaenean Avenger and Seropaenean Exorcist prestige classes, which did pretty well in the Mono-e-Mono contest if I recall correctly.

Regardless, I'm back, but I don't know if I'll be able to devote time to writing material for the contest. At the very least I will participate in the judging; I owe that much to the community that "raised," me after all, right? :-P

sirpercival
2012-08-21, 07:21 AM
This is the first of these contests that I'll be entering (if you hadn't noticed...). So, another procedural question. Is there anything against posting my entry on another board (after it's posted here) and getting feedback? I'd be posting anyway after the contest was done.

I could also post on the other board and let the class evolve over there, but leave the official entry pre-edits. I just don't know what the etiquette is, and I'd rather not violate the spirit of the contest.

ErrantX
2012-08-21, 08:41 AM
So I have an idea that I like, but I'm not sure it fits in the bounds of the contest.

Not to give too much away, but think of the item's function in this case as Iron Man's chest-battery. It's an irrevocable part of the user, it grants new and thematic abilities, but the item's use itself isn't really expanded upon (with the exception of becoming this "power source")

Kosher? Not so much?

As long as the item is central to the purpose, theme, and abilities of the class, and the item's abilities are either expanded upon by the class, or the item expands upon the character's abilities in some other meaningful way, then it's kosher. So likely yes? Send me a PM if you're still not sure.

This is the first of these contests that I'll be entering (if you hadn't noticed...). So, another procedural question. Is there anything against posting my entry on another board (after it's posted here) and getting feedback? I'd be posting anyway after the contest was done.

I could also post on the other board and let the class evolve over there, but leave the official entry pre-edits. I just don't know what the etiquette is, and I'd rather not violate the spirit of the contest.

Standard etiquette around here is this: the class stays in the contest until over, and then its fair game to repost elsewhere. But most entrants don't tend to repost on other forums to my knowledge, and I've never bothered to go and make sure people are staying honest to the spirit of the rules. That being said, I am going to say don't repost it somewhere else for feedback, but at the same time, I'm never going to go and actively hunt your class down to make sure of it, comprende?

In the end, the contest is about inspiring people to make creative new homebrew and some of the forum's most popular and beloved classes have come this contest or the base class contest. Do what seems right to you.

-X

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-21, 08:43 AM
In the end, the contest is about inspiring people to make creative new homebrew and some of the forum's most popular and beloved classes have come this contest or the base class contest. Do what seems right to you.

-X

I've noticed that too, actually. The Children seem to have this odd cult appeal that leads to me continually getting PMs about them >.>

sirpercival
2012-08-21, 08:54 AM
Standard etiquette around here is this: the class stays in the contest until over, and then its fair game to repost elsewhere. But most entrants don't tend to repost on other forums to my knowledge, and I've never bothered to go and make sure people are staying honest to the spirit of the rules. That being said, I am going to say don't repost it somewhere else for feedback, but at the same time, I'm never going to go and actively hunt your class down to make sure of it, comprende?

-X

Yeah, that's fine. I'm just much more active over on minmaxboards, but there are contests over here :smallcool: and a large homebrewing community, so I've started porting some of my stuff over. (The large projects will have to wait...) Either way, I'll repost over there when everything's done to have all my stuff together, but I'll keep it under wraps until after the contest is over.

ErrantX
2012-08-21, 09:22 AM
Yeah, that's fine. I'm just much more active over on minmaxboards, but there are contests over here :smallcool: and a large homebrewing community, so I've started porting some of my stuff over. (The large projects will have to wait...) Either way, I'll repost over there when everything's done to have all my stuff together, but I'll keep it under wraps until after the contest is over.

Invite some of those folks over here! Get some of them involved in the contest. Just some thoughts.

-X

sirpercival
2012-08-21, 09:27 AM
Invite some of those folks over here! Get some of them involved in the contest. Just some thoughts.

-X

Lol! A lot of them are already over here, or have been over here before -- Garryl, Ziegander, Amechra, bhu, DonQuixote, oslecamo, Prime32, etc.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-21, 11:40 AM
I've noticed that too, actually. The Children seem to have this odd cult appeal that leads to me continually getting PMs about them >.>

Yeah...there are a few of these creations that have.

Children of the Mausoleum, Midnight Occultist, Seidkona of the Iron Bands...there are others, but those stand out to me as being among the super popular homebrew creations from this contest. :smallbiggrin:

ErrantX
2012-08-21, 11:50 AM

Children of the Mausoleum, Midnight Occultist, Seidkona of the Iron Bands...there are others, but those stand out to me as being among the super popular homebrew creations from this contest. :smallbiggrin:

My biggest sadness about this contest is that I can't join your illustrious ranks of awesome 'brewers in this contest, sort of a conflict of interest as I am the tie breaker vote.

C'est la vi.

The above classes are definitely legends from the contest history.

-X

Zaydos
2012-08-21, 01:11 PM

Midnight Occultist is still my favorite bit of homebrew I've ever seen.

bindin garoth
2012-08-21, 01:44 PM
Aaaaaand Inspiration just hit me with a baseball bat. I'll be making a class based off of Gloves of Storing. :smallsmile:

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-21, 01:50 PM
My biggest sadness about this contest is that I can't join your illustrious ranks of awesome 'brewers in this contest, sort of a conflict of interest as I am the tie breaker vote.

C'est la vi.

The above classes are definitely legends from the contest history.

-X

Eh. You could just have a policy of not voting for yourself in the tie-breaking round, if that happens. i.e. just concede ties if they happen. I'd love to see your work in the contest, honestly. Either that, or pick another impartial judge.

Edit: Pick my item, guys!

-Necklace of Strangulation (a cursed item!) [7-10 level class]
-Heward's Handy Haversack or Belt of Many Pockets [3-5 level class]
-Hand of the Mage [10 level class]

...or other suggestions/challenges. I'm trying to find my copy of the Magic Item Compendium, so more possibilities might arise later.

Morph Bark
2012-08-21, 03:27 PM
Heward's Handy Haversack would definitely be nifty.

I could see a Belt of Many Pockets/Hidden Pouches PrC (whichever was the better one) turning someone into Batman.

Techwarrior
2012-08-21, 03:37 PM
Hm... Wizard/Handy Haversack Master?
On it.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-21, 03:47 PM
Hm... Wizard/Handy Haversack Master?
On it.

Just as a heads up...there might be two such things if I choose to go with that one. :smallwink:

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-21, 04:50 PM
Eh. You could just have a policy of not voting for yourself in the tie-breaking round, if that happens. i.e. just concede ties if they happen. I'd love to see your work in the contest, honestly. Either that, or pick another impartial judge.

Edit: Pick my item, guys!

-Necklace of Strangulation (a cursed item!) [7-10 level class]
-Heward's Handy Haversack or Belt of Many Pockets [3-5 level class]
-Hand of the Mage [10 level class]

...or other suggestions/challenges. I'm trying to find my copy of the Magic Item Compendium, so more possibilities might arise later.

None of these.

You should do the hat of disguise.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2012-08-21, 04:56 PM
None of these.

You should do the hat of disguise.

Eh. Considered it, but the item is conceptually limiting. It's hard to break from the transformation/deception angle, and players would be hesitant about, say, a Hat of Disguise Necromancer who takes on aspects of departed spirits, because that's just an (admittedly awesome) Chameleon or Binder knockoff, and those are really wonky to balance. Plus playing possession is hard for a lot of people...to many personalities to manage.

Lord_Gareth
2012-08-21, 04:59 PM
Eh. Considered it, but the item is conceptually limiting. It's hard to break from the transformation/deception angle, and players would be hesitant about, say, a Hat of Disguise Necromancer who takes on aspects of departed spirits, because that's just an (admittedly awesome) Chameleon or Binder knockoff, and those are really wonky to balance. Plus playing possession is hard for a lot of people...to many personalities to manage.

How about a Hat of Disguise character whose absolute belief in the reality projected by the hat lets him step beyond altering himself to altering reality like a god?

Xallace
2012-08-21, 05:11 PM
How about a Hat of Disguise character whose absolute belief in the reality projected by the hat lets him step beyond altering himself to altering reality like a god?

Like... reality is just an illusion, and my hat is just an illusion, ergo controlling my hat controls reality?

Fedora Solipsists with a dash of Buddhism?