PDA

View Full Version : Adjiri [Race, NxN]

Kellus
2011-07-16, 02:48 PM
Adjiri

"You shouldn't feel bad that you're uglier than me, stupider than me, less graceful than me and less wealthy than me. You shouldn't feel bad that I live in luxury without having worked a day in my life. You shouldn't even feel bad that I'll be alive long after your frail human bones have crumbled into dust. What you should feel bad about is that your wife is under the table right now."

Made for use with my campaign setting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11427525), but still compared against normal 3.5.

The adjiri are half-fey born from mortals and djinni from the Summer Court. Although they're intended to serve as agents and intermediaries for Summer, the plan sort of fell apart when the adjiri turned out to have all the indolence and sloth of the Summer fae. These days adjiri generally stay out of civilized society and keep to themselves, indulging in mortal pleasures and experiencing everything life has to offer.

Personality: Basically, adjiri are kind of annoyingly awesome. They're great at everything they do, and don't really have any flaws. An adjiri is stronger and more handsome than a human, and they know they'll live for hundreds of years without needing anything like food or water to survive. They generally think they're better than everyone else, and the annoying this is that they're usually right.

Physical Description: An adjiri is well-muscled without any particular effort, and always has tawny tan skin even if they never spend a day outside in their long lives. One interesting thing that scholars have noticed about the adjiri is that even though they're always incredibly beautiful, they're forms actually change as mortal ideas of beauty evolve. Presumably a side-effect of their Summer bloodline, adjiri are always beautiful to behold no matter who's doing the looking.

Relations: Adjiri don't really mesh well with the lifestyles of other mortals. Thanks to their fae blood they don't really have the same pressing day-to-day concerns of most people over, say, getting enough food. They live for hundreds of years, and spend most of it loafing around and having orgies. If they weren't so aloof from society as a rule, they'd probably be running the show. Adjiri prospered under the rule of the rakshasa, since they had no stake in the lands the tiger lords wanted to rule. They mostly weathered the empire's rule in their ancestral home of Alathann.

Language: Adjiri speak Common, and the older ones will know Summertongue as well. The younger adjiri who are more recently born are further removed from their fae forefathers and are usually a little more integrated into mortal society. They're more likely to know some of the other humanoid tongues.

Adventurers: Most adjiri who set off to have adventures are either trying to spice things up a little from their normal tedium or simply enjoy showing off to the lesser humanoid races. Although some of them might have nobler reasons, the vast majority of adventurer adjiri are just doing it as a lark. Many adjiri adventurers take the easy road to power, and borrow magical talent from external sources by becoming bargainers. In general an adjiri always takes the route of action which will cause the least stress or inconvenience for themselves.

Racial Features
Humanoid (Extraplanar): Adjiri are native to Fae.
+2 Str, +2 Cha: Adjiri are very strong and charismatic, everything the average human wishes he was but isn't.
Medium: As Medium creatures, adjiri have no special bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Speed: Adjiri have a base land speed of 30ft.
Beautiful Visage (Sp): An adjiri can create a mirage which allows it to look pretty much however it pleases. An adjiri can use disguise self as a spell-like ability once per day per HD (until they reach 5 HD, when they can use it at-will).
Fluid Fighter (Ex): Adjiri are graceful fighters, and they make swordplay look easy. An adjiri gains either Power Attack or Weapon Finesse as a bonus feat at character creation. They also gain the ability to treat one-handed weapons as light weapons or light weapons as one-handed weapons, whichever is more beneficial to them at the time.
Immortal Heritage (Su): Adjiri don't need food or water to survive, although many adjiri enjoy the tastes and flavours of food and eat regularly for enjoyment.
Slow Starter (Ex): Adjiri have a hard time taking threats seriously because of their racial mentality. Whether it's laziness or bravado, an adjiri takes a -4 penalty on all initiative checks.
Automatic Language: Common
Bonus Languages: Alathi, Summertongue, Old Infernal
Favoured Class: Bargainer (Binder for use in normal 3.5)

Wyntonian
2011-07-16, 04:17 PM
I feel like these could use a -something to an ability score to make them balanced. As it is they're a strong LA+0 race, almost a gimped LA+0, and i'd have some qualms about having them in a campaign I was running. Unless you plan to make the other races balanced with these guys, consider making them slightly less, well, awesome.

Oh, but the fluff and other stuff is awesome.

Kellus
2011-07-16, 04:22 PM
I feel like these could use a -something to an ability score to make them balanced. As it is they're a strong LA+0 race, almost a gimped LA+0, and i'd have some qualms about having them in a campaign I was running. Unless you plan to make the other races balanced with these guys, consider making them slightly less, well, awesome.

Oh, but the fluff and other stuff is awesome.

Yes, it is a problem. The entire point of the race is that they're just better than other races, but that's a problem mechanically. I don't mind having races that are slightly better than the norm and I'm certainly not getting into Level Adjustment, but I do agree they could use a slight tone-down. Anybody have any ideas for a small penalty that I could give to them that wouldn't screw with their fluff?

hivedragon
2011-07-16, 04:29 PM
Because they are lazy I'd give them a -2 dex (especially on initiative)
Also I'd make them fey

Kellus
2011-07-16, 04:33 PM
Because they are lazy I'd give them a -2 dex (especially on initiative)
Also I'd make them fey

You know, that's not bad. No Dex penalty, because the whole idea behind them is that they don't have any downsides. But I like the initiative penalty idea. It's something small, but it's guaranteed to come up in every combat. Thanks! :smallsmile:

hivedragon
2011-07-16, 04:52 PM
Some additional thoughts
-they do need food and drink, but they can conjure them as a SLA
-have their disguise self only work on possessions
(kind of the opposites of changelings)
-they can even conjure weapons and armor, nothing enchanted though