PDA

View Full Version : Badgering the Gods

Jeff the Green
2011-07-16, 03:31 PM
http://i631.photobucket.com/albums/uu39/JeffreyTheGreen/badger2.jpg
Give me my spells or I'll bite your divine ass!

-The Badger Cleric
I've been reading a lot of work on mythology and religion lately, and one character archetype comes up every once in a while that I'd like to turn into a 3.5e character. Basically, the character has a patron deity, spirit, or totem. But they don't get along very well, generally because the deity is a Lawful Stupid type (maybe even leaning toward Lawful Evil) and the character is both more Good and more reasonable and flexible. Even though the character is often appalled by his deity's commands, he has been made an instrument of His/Her will.

The character isn't powerless against the deity, however. He tries, and sometimes succeeds, in changing the deity's mind by attempting to be the deity's "conscience," always arguing to save people, be kind, etc. even when it would set back the deity's agenda.

So, what kind of deity would tolerate this kind of follower? And what would this character be? I was thinking a Favored Soul, but the alignment requirement is a bit of a problem (within one step from the deity). Is there any other class that might fit this fluff?

wuwuwu
2011-07-16, 03:45 PM
So basically Brutha from Small Gods, but actually with divine power? Ur-Priest would work with a slight refluff, I think.

Drelua
2011-07-16, 03:56 PM
If you were lawful good I could see St. Cuthbert putting up with one of his clerics being kinder and less strict than he is, but of course you'd have to be pretty high level for him to bother with you that much.

Remmirath
2011-07-16, 03:57 PM
I think any divine casting class would work, so long as you talk the concept out with your DM and they agree to it.

If the DM isn't flexible about it, though ... Ur-Priest could work, I suppose. Favoured Soul could work if say the deity is Lawful Neutral and the character is Lawful Good (but more flexible), for instance. The whole 'chosen to be the instrument of his will' part would generally seem to be more in line with the Favoured Soul to me.

You could probably come up with a reason for most deities to tolerate them - particularly the practical sorts, if they want something out of the character. Certainly I would think that any who have anything towards freedom or free will might be more likely to tolerate such things, or perhaps there could be some sort of grand fate/prophecy deal at work.