PDA

View Full Version : Undead swordsage options.

Rukia
2011-07-16, 03:44 PM
So basically my level 3 character was just raised from the dead, though not resurrected. To make a long story short my level 3 rogue/factotum died and I started a new guy. Recently my DM gave me the option to continue my old character and change his class to a swordsage who he originally didn't want me to play.

Thing is at our low levels we wouldn't have been able to get a resurrection on him, so he came up with an alternative. He basically raised me from the dead by having Velsharoon raise me himself so long as I follow him. He hasn't demanded anything yet but that is an optional path for the DM to take later. My character was raised while he was in the process of turning into a wight (which killed him) and so he was raised in a similar form. I'm not sure exactly what template he used as I think it was a mish mash, but the basic idea is as follows.

Previous Stats:

Str 14
Dex 17
Con 15
Int 15
Wis 9
Cha 7

New stats:

Str 16
Dex 15
Con 11
Int 15
Wis 13
Cha 5

Gain immunities, +4 bonus for will saves against mind, etc..
Fast Healing 1
Can't be healed by positive energy
Fortification
and some other odd stuff

I'm playing a Warblade 1/Swordsage 2 (yes waiting on warblade till later would have been optimal, but I wanted the extra maneuvers at the low level). He lowered my Con and gave me wisdom to be able to use my swordsage bonuses and then gave me 12HD. So I lost out on some hps, but the D12 HD every level gives me some different opportunities. I currently have shadow blade and adaptive style as feats and I still get one more human bonus feat. Considering he boosted my strength and lowered my dex I'm thinking about going with a two hand weapon to take advantage. Spiked chain would do 1.5x str damage, give me +dex damage in shadow hand stance and of course the reach benefits. I don't want to make a tripper build since I lack the feat access, but damage wise and range still make it a nice option. One more thing to consider, he rounds up on the 1.5x str damage so +3 str = +5 damage.

I'm looking for some options to take advantage of my current racial changes. Feats, classes etc.. that can optimize what I have. I can always raise my con to help offset the loss, but the D12 hit dice at all levels no matter what class I take seems a good balance. I'm thinking of taking one more class of something different before going back into swordsage for most of my career. Group has a fighter, barbarian, ranger and favored soul so I'm the only guy that has any sort of arcane like magic ability. I was considering taking one level of some sort of caster to pick up some utility. Cloistered cleric would be nice and knowledge devotion conversion would make up for the lack BAB from the cleric. I could take Magic domain to gain the ability to use all wands from cleric/wizard list without UMD and would gain divine identify in the process since we currently don't have an identifier in the party. Inflict light wounds would also give me a way to heal myself in a pinch. The other option would be possibly Duskblade to give me the BAB and some useful spells like true strike, blade of blood, etc... Since I have fast healing I don't mind taking a bit of damage to dish it out.

Any other ideas to take advantage of being undead and full D12 hit dice?

darkbuu_1
2011-07-16, 05:45 PM
Wait, since you're dead shouldn't you have 0 con?

But any way in an almost useful suggestion if you have access to it maybe Death Master from the Dragon Compendium, you'd get a small list of arcane spells inculding Identify, and Inflict Light Wounds, a tiny bit of rubuking and a undead minion.

Rukia
2011-07-16, 06:16 PM
Well he told me I'm not fully undead, something between life and death so I only got some of the undead attributes. I'm not totally immune to some of the things that are true undead, so in return I kept some living benefits including constitution. I'll have to check into Death Master, I'm assuming it's some sort of PrC?