PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Find a Particular Silent Hill Themed RPG

Kami2awa
2011-07-16, 04:14 PM
Hi there,

A while ago I happened across a fan-made Silent Hill RPG on the internet. Since then, I've been unable to find it again, and I'd really like to.

There have been several Silent Hill RPG variants with different systems. However, the one I'm after had a unique mechanic; the game story depends on the PCs backstory and psyche. Every PC has a Dark Past or Secret with which a number of symbolic or real locations are linked; these are the locations visited by the PCs in the game. The game effectively becomes a journey into the PCs own minds and histories.

For example, James Sunderland, the "hero" of SH2, is revealed later in the game to have

killed his dying wife. So the locations he visits represent his life before this event (the town and the hotel), the time when it all went wrong (the hospital) and his fears as a result (the prison).

Has anyone heard of this game; and if so can they send me a link?

FatJose
2011-07-16, 10:48 PM
Well, SH always has that whole "going insane" angle to it. I'd say a refluffed Call of Cthullu game will do the trick just fine. Though, make sure your players have very developed and flawed characters. As you mentioned, Silent Hill is about characters with horrible pasts and often, if not always, they end up confronting them in some way at some point in the game.

some guy
2011-07-17, 07:11 AM
The only one I know of is this d20 CoC variant, which can be found on this page (http://www.yog-sothoth.com/local_links.php?catid=25&sort=N&pp=15&page=2). Not sure if it's the one you're looking for, though.

Kami2awa
2011-07-17, 07:47 AM
Not the game I was looking for, but useful nonetheless. Anyone know of any other adaptation?

Armoury99
2011-07-17, 01:30 PM
Perhaps Kult (http://www.kult-rpg.com/)is what you're looking for? Its certainly has gore without being splatterpunk, horrific imagery, and (most importantly for a SH game) characters with troubled backgrounds.

randomhero00
2011-07-17, 01:48 PM
I think DnD would work fine. You simply need a good DM that understands SH and good players with good backstories. What you described isn't really a mechanic. Just a storytelling technique.

Kami2awa
2011-07-17, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the advice, but I'm looking for the specific game principally as a source of inspiration. I intend to run it using the Call of Cthulhu rules; Kult would also be ideal but sadly I don't own a copy of the rules.

Anyone know of this game?

Arbane
2011-07-17, 10:51 PM
That sounds a bit like the plot of a SH RPG someone on RPG.net's forums ran. I don't remember what game-system they used, though.

randomhero00
2011-07-18, 03:15 PM
Hmm I wonder how paranoia would work? Instead of "clone" it'd be themselves in a dream/mind whatever sequence. So when they run out of "clones" they'd go insane.

TaintedDeity
2011-07-18, 10:18 PM
Oh damn, I remember reading a really amazing pdf/website for a Silent Hill rpg and it sounds like the one you're describing...
I might have found it via a link on TVTropes, looking up either the Silent Hill franchise itself or one of the related tropes. ****, I wish I could remember where it was.

BillyBobJoe
2011-07-18, 10:45 PM
I've heard of this exact thing, but I can't figure out where I heard it or what it's called. I know what you're talking about at least.

Xuc Xac
2011-07-19, 04:53 AM
I have a copy of an excellent fan-made World of Darkness Silent Hill RPG but I don't know where I downloaded it from. The credits page is really sparse and doesn't list a source. Is that what you're thinking of?

TaintedDeity
2011-07-28, 05:42 PM
You had any luck, Kami?