PDA

View Full Version : Sort of optimizing the Samurai (complete!)

danzibr
2011-07-16, 04:55 PM
Meet Bushi, the Samurai.
Tawara Bushi, the Samurai

Samurai 10/Exemplar 1/Incandescent Champion 9

Stats at 1: 14, 10, 12, 14, 10, 18

Feats/flaws at 1: Skill Focus-Intimidate, Devil’s Favor (racial)

Skills at 1: 4 in Concentration, Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, Diplomacy

Other features at 1: Daishou proficiency, can use evil stuff, can only be rez’d by Resurrection or greater, abrasive (trait, +1 Intimidate, -1 Diplomacy and Bluff)

lvl 2: TWF, 5 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, Diplomacy, ½ in Bluff

lvl 3: feat to Shape Soulmeld-Bloodwar Gauntlets, 6 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, Diplomacy, 1 in Bluff

lvl 4: Kiai Smite 1/day, stat point to Cha, 7 in Intimidate, iaijutsu Focus, 2 in Bluff, hopefully buy Fearsome armor

lvl 5: Quick Draw, 8 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, Never Outnumbered skill trick, if not already, buy Fearsome armor

lvl 6: +4 unnamed to Intimidate, feat to Imperious Command, Darkvision to 60 ft (racial), 9 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 3 in Bluff

lvl 7: Kiai Smite 2/day, 10 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 4 in Bluff

lvl 8: Improved Init, stat point to Cha, 11 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 5 in Bluff

lvl 9: feat to Bonus Essentia, Darkvision to 120 ft (racial), 12 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 2 in Knowledge (nobility and royalty)

lvl 10: Intimidate all in 30’ as standard, 13 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 8 in Spot

lvl 11: Exemplar 1, +4 competence to Intimidate, take 10 in Intimidate and Iaijutsu Focus, 14 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 1 in Ride

lvl 12: Incandescent Champion 1, feat to Open Lesser Chakra-arms, stat point to Cha, invest essentia for + to damage, Darkvision sees through Darkness (racial), 15 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 2 in Ride

lvl 13: invest essentia for fast healing, 16 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 3 in Ride

lvl 14: glance to shaken Will save, 17 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 4 in Ride

lvl 15: feat to XXX, boost max essentia as free action for 1 round 1/day, Telepathy 100 ft (racial), 18 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 5 in Ride

lvl 16: stat point to Cha, ranged touch attack for essentiad8, 19 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 6 in Ride

lvl 17: 20 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 7 in Ride

lvl 18: feat to XXX, boost essentia 2/day21 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 8 in Ride

lvl 19: essentiad6 damage to adjacent enemies Will save, 22 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 9 in Ride

lvl 20: fast healing for essentia to allies, stat point to Cha, 23 in Intimidate, Iaijutsu Focus, 10 in Ride
For those of you who followed the thread, my choices may seem odd (and yeah, I'm missing two feats). I'll make an edit (or post) later to explain some things.

dextercorvia
2011-07-16, 04:57 PM
Have you met Shneekey's Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-16, 05:01 PM
Never Outnumbered can be done once per combat. Mass Staredown is an unlimited use ability.

Rogue1 (to qualify for Exemplar later on with Able Learner)/Samurai10/Exemplar1. Otherwise you won't have the skills necessary to qualify.

danzibr
2011-07-16, 05:06 PM
Have you met Schneeky's Takahashi no Onisan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)?
Yup, I've read Shneekey's work. I even messaged him. He's my Samurai hero.

Never Outnumbered can be done once per combat. Mass Staredown is an unlimited use ability.

Rogue1 (to qualify for Exemplar later on with Able Learner)/Samurai10/Exemplar1. Otherwise you won't have the skills necessary to qualify.
Speaking of which! Glad you came.

Why can't you qualify with Samurai 10? First, I should clarify that my DM lets us qualify for a PrC *as* we enter. Unless I'm missing something, you only need one skill at 13 and Diplomacy at 6. Shouldn't 13 ranks in Intimidate and 6 in Diplomacy work? CW Samurai gets Diplomacy.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-16, 05:15 PM
Yup, I've read Shneekey's work. I even messaged him. He's my Samurai hero.

Speaking of which! Glad you came.

Why can't you qualify with Samurai 10? First, I should clarify that my DM lets us qualify for a PrC *as* we enter. Unless I'm missing something, you only need one skill at 13 and Diplomacy at 6. Shouldn't 13 ranks in Intimidate and 6 in Diplomacy work? CW Samurai gets Diplomacy.

Hmmm... for some reason I read that as 'any three other skills at 13 ranks'... although you get more use out of having multiple viable skills with Skill Mastery, because you get 1+ Int Mod number of skills you can then Take 10 on. So, for instance, Iajitsu Focus...

Then again, it was originally for Test of Spite, and for that, you need Spot and Listen, both of which are cross-class. Maybe that was what I was thinking of.

The other reason for Rogue was for precision-based damage, since, as you noted, Cowering = flat-footed. So at 1st level, you pick up Sneak Attack, and the feat Craven (+1 damage to sneak attack per character level), which provides you with solid damage bonus.

You also notice I picked up Assassin's Stance as a feat, for another +2d6 sneak attack.

In short, instead of spending feats on maxing out my Intimidate, I decided to actually be able to do some damage as well.

Then I had the whole "You are not worthy enough to be dispatched with my Katana, I shall instead use my Wakasashi", which is a MW shortsword, which is a Shadow Hand weapon, and the original build used Shadow Blade to make STR a dump stat.

Zonugal
2011-07-16, 05:18 PM
What about looking into Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel?

Also regarding feats you could always take a more classical approach to intimidation:
Dreadful Wrath (Player's Guide to Faerun)
Hardened Criminal (Sharn: City of Towers) [Requires Iron Will which can be obtained through a brief stay in the Otyugh Hole)
Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark)

With a pretty conservative approach we can easily be hitting a 30 (9 ranks + 3 charisma + taking 10 +1 abrasive +5 fearsome armor +2 racial +2 synergy) by level six. What this does is it saves up your feats on more combat appropriate ones (because you honestly shouldn't be throwing them at feats like persuasive or even skill focus, as you don't need to be).

danzibr
2011-07-16, 05:20 PM
Ahh, your words are enlightening. Sorry for misspelling your name in the other thread btw.

Yeah, I'll probably end up doing something with SA or the like. I'll have to open up my ToB to look at everything Takahashi has.

danzibr
2011-07-16, 05:22 PM
What about looking into Avenging Executioner from Complete Scoundrel?

Also regarding feats you could always take a more classical approach to intimidation:
Dreadful Wrath (Player's Guide to Faerun)
Hardened Criminal (Sharn: City of Towers) [Requires Iron Will which can be obtained through a brief stay in the Otyugh Hole)
Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark)

With a pretty conservative approach we can easily be hitting a 30 (9 ranks + 3 charisma + taking 10 +1 abrasive +5 fearsome armor +2 racial +2 synergy) by level six. What this does is it saves up your feats on more combat appropriate ones (because you honestly shouldn't be throwing them at feats like persuasive or even skill focus, as you don't need to be).
Ohh hmm yeah I'll look into these. Persuasive can be dumped, but Skill Focus is necessary for Exemplar. Honestly I'd never heard of Dreadful Wrath or Hardened Criminal.

Jude_H
2011-07-16, 05:24 PM
If you aren't going to UMD, Marshal might make a sexy level 1 dip. The bonus feat ease Exemplar entry and the Charisma aura can boost Intimidate and other social skills to ridiculous levels. If a character's Charisma is high enough, UMD will be viable even cross-classed.

Also, don't neglect the Ronin PrC's level swap. It's one of the CW Samurai's strongest features.

Zonugal
2011-07-16, 05:28 PM
Danzibr, why are you entering Exemplar? I just ask to see if we can't mitigate the dip & replace it with something else.

danzibr
2011-07-16, 05:33 PM
Danzibr, why are you entering Exemplar? I just ask to see if we can't mitigate the dip & replace it with something else.
For the sole purpose of being able to take 10 on Intimidate (taking 10 on Iaijutsu would be nice too, though, as is the +4 competence to Intimidate).

Zonugal
2011-07-16, 05:45 PM
For the sole purpose of being able to take 10 on Intimidate (taking 10 on Iaijutsu would be nice too, though, as is the +4 competence to Intimidate).

Okay, I figured that might be the reason at large. That feat I suggested, Hardened Criminal, does exactly that in addition to making you immune to any intimidation.

Not saying Exemplar isn't a bad choice (if you're looking to really utilize skill mastery by including Iaijutsu Focus & other skills than take it) but you can grab the only thing desired from it in a single feat.

But should you still desire to go towards Exemplar might I recommend a build that includes a level dip into Marshal? Not only will you snag Skill Focus (Diplomacy), needed for Exemplar, but you'll also get your charisma bonus applied both times to any charisma skill (oh boy!).

Maybe something like Hellbred Rogue 1/Marshal 1/CW Samurai 5/Avenging Executioner 3/Exemplar 1/Avening Executioner 2/CW Samurai 8?

Midnight_v
2011-07-16, 06:00 PM
Sorry uhm... so its okay to prc right?
I ask because of the whole "No warblade thing", and I'm kinda making sure you're not like "Samurai 20" or bust but I see that level of exemplar... so I'll proceed.
Having Iaijustsu focus is great because you have less to worry about from mindless opponents since thats not precision damage.
Its awesome that your Dm's allong that, irritating that they didn't port it over so if you got it good on you.

I agree with you that you need some extra damage and honestly my first thought was avenging executioner for his dread blade power but that only lets you deal sudden strike and not sneak attack vs flat footed foes, so it wouldn't help with the craven etc nor assassins stance
Nor would it help vs precision immune foes.

ShneekeyTheLost does have it right though taking martial study and martal stance seems beneficial, if only because it seems you only have 1 feat remaining, so unless we can lose 1 feat somewhere, we're trying to get as much back for our buck as possible there right in that spot.

Though I have to say this, I really like the theme of this char already, making it a Hellbred Samurai Exemplar even SOUNDS awesome. Kudos for that Fluff better than Mechanics change I almost never get a chance to say that.

Any way we could get a peek at the rest of your stats?

danzibr
2011-07-16, 06:29 PM
Okay, I figured that might be the reason at large. That feat I suggested, Hardened Criminal, does exactly that in addition to making you immune to any intimidation.

[...]

Maybe something like Hellbred Rogue 1/Marshal 1/CW Samurai 5/Avenging Executioner 3/Exemplar 1/Avening Executioner 2/CW Samurai 8?
I'll have to look at this build more closely. I'm... acquiring the book that has Hardened Criminal in it as we speak. I was thinking maybe a little more Samurai a little earlier. The campaign is starting at level 2. I'd be totally fine with dropping Exemplar too. I mean, taking 10 on Iaijutsu focus would be cool, but I'd be much more inclined to just roll on that rather than Intimidate. The Marshal looks pretty key though, Charisma twice.

Sorry uhm... so its okay to prc right?
I ask because of the whole "No warblade thing", and I'm kinda making sure you're not like "Samurai 20" or bust but I see that level of exemplar... so I'll proceed.

[...]

Though I have to say this, I really like the theme of this char already, making it a Hellbred Samurai Exemplar even SOUNDS awesome. Kudos for that Fluff better than Mechanics change I almost never get a chance to say that.

Any way we could get a peek at the rest of your stats?
Yeah. 32 point buy, starting at 14, 10, 12, 14, 10, 16, plan on putting stat points in Cha. I also plan on going around in really heavy (Fearsome) armor that's painted red and black with a demon mask (actually, since I'm Hellbred I could just not wear a mask).

I'd also be open to taking some Warblade or something, but I don't want people throwing builds like Samurai 1/Warblade 19 at me. I really don't want any more than 11, but also not less than 11. I mean, there's no other way I'm going to be getting a 2nd swing with my wakizashi.

Also, with Imperious Command foes cower on the first turn when I'd Intimidate them, so the SA stuff could work, just not with Avenging Executioner (I think).

EDIT: Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention. I think it may be better to turn to ToB over SA and the like for damage output.

Midnight_v
2011-07-16, 08:53 PM
Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention. I think it may be better to turn to ToB over SA and the like for damage output
SA? ... I dont' know what that means.
OH! Sneak attack! Right. Gotcha.

I don't want people throwing builds like Samurai 1/Warblade 19 at me
Totally respect that. I recognize people tend to do stuff like that, but so often it really is the answer to melee, but since you're spelled out your desires so well getting samurai enhancing things is important.

I'd also be open to taking some Warblade or something
You'll really benefit from 1 level of a tob Class. However, from your low will save I'm going to say take 2 levels of crusader and call it a day getting that nice charisma to will saves. Take your first level of Crusader on an odd level though.
Finally you can spend the rest of your life as a Ronin, since you already qualify. That will let you get the sneak attack and craven in one level.
So the build will looklike this
Samurai 10/Exemplar1/Crusader2/Ronin7
You took all 10 levels in samurai so when you take ronin1, though you've fled your lords service you maintain all samurai abilities, and gain sneak attack as well.

So. You have fear, you have sneak attack, plus a few mountain hammer techniques so you aren't crippled when a Golem, or undead brute show up. The nice Bonsai charge power, and potentially something from the white raven school. Well balanced all around, flavorful and mechanical.

If you can't stand the idea of leaving your lords service and becoming a ronin. You can still take the path of the rogue, or quite a few prcs to try.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-07-16, 09:08 PM
(Magic-Blooded) Half-Orc, Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) 1/ Samurai 10/ Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 9, with Menacing Demeanor (via the Otyugh Hole) and Imperious Command (DotU).

That's +4 Intimidate via Half-Orc Paragon, +4 to Demoralize via Samurai, +3 from Skill Focus: Intimidate, +4 for Menacing Demeanor, and be sure to get 5+ ranks in Bluff for a +2 Synergy bonus and a Masterwork Tool for another +2 bonus. If you're starting out in the lower levels be sure to pick up Never Outnumbered.

That gets Swift Demoralization and Mass Staredown with Imperious Command. Every round spend a swift action to demoralize every opponent within 30 ft., which causes them to cower for one round and then be shaken for one round after. The next round they'll already be shaken when you demoralize them again, so they'll be at a -2 penalty to resist.

danzibr
2011-07-16, 11:00 PM
(Magic-Blooded) Half-Orc, Half-Orc Paragon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/racialParagonClasses.htm#halfOrcParagon) 1/ Samurai 10/ Zhentarim Soldier (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) 9, with Menacing Demeanor (via the Otyugh Hole) and Imperious Command (DotU).
That demoralize as a swift action is really nice, but I'm not interested in taking 9 levels of fighter. Still, thanks for the build suggestion.

NineThePuma
2011-07-16, 11:46 PM
That demoralize as a swift action is really nice, but I'm not interested in taking 9 levels of fighter. Still, thanks for the build suggestion.
Actually, those 9 levels are MAGNIFICENT. Free SF(Intimidate), a boat load of feats, swift action demoralize, and a "lasting intimidation" technique are helpful, and while 9 levels of Fighter are a lot, you can always swap bonus feats for sneak attack dice.

danzibr
2011-07-17, 07:33 AM
Actually, those 9 levels are MAGNIFICENT. Free SF(Intimidate), a boat load of feats, swift action demoralize, and a "lasting intimidation" technique are helpful, and while 9 levels of Fighter are a lot, you can always swap bonus feats for sneak attack dice.
Yeah, but I still want to optimize the *Samurai*, not something else that scares dudes. If I have to give up my full round actions to be a stinking Samurai (I mean demoralize as move rather than swift) then that's what I'll do.

I'm not trying to sound ungrateful. I do appreciate the feedback and advice. It's just that I want to use the base class CW Samurai, not something else (well, I'm fine with dips, but the heart of the build should be recognizable as Samurai).

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 08:46 AM
You'd still be a samurai. :smallconfused: You'd just be a Ronin type Samurai.

Look at it this way: after level 10, you don't get anything from levels except more Smite, TWF, and the (rather crappy) capstone. 'Improved Staredown' doesn't actually matter at all because you've got a feat doing the same thing.
Capstone doesn't matter anything that's level appropriate is gonna be immune unless it's a humanoid with class levels, and well, if it's a humanoid with class levels it's PROBABLY immune anyways.

Is Kiai Smite so valuable to you that you're completely unwilling to multiclass?

EDIT: Sorry, that came off to me as more of a bashing on you. What I mean to say is "You can be whatever you fluff yourself as being. Taking levels in another class that has an almost identical chassis and has the appropriate skills is not choosing to play something else, especially when that 'something else' and Samurai complement each other quite well."

danzibr
2011-07-17, 12:34 PM
EDIT: Sorry, that came off to me as more of a bashing on you. What I mean to say is "You can be whatever you fluff yourself as being. Taking levels in another class that has an almost identical chassis and has the appropriate skills is not choosing to play something else, especially when that 'something else' and Samurai complement each other quite well."
Ah I didn't take any offense. I am willing to multiclass, but... 9 levels of fighter? The campaign starts at level 2.

Anyways, over the course of 2-20 I'll probably want 11 levels of Samurai for the 2nd swing with my wakizashi. But beyond that, I'm not interested in any more Samurai.

I'm going to take a thorough look at what everyone said and come up with something that... well, "works" from 2 to 20. The only reason I don't want to do SA-type damage is because of all the stuff it doesn't work on. My guess is I'll be doing some mix of Samurai and Warblade. I'm still unsure yet.

Ahh, but for your point of fluffing yourself as what you want... I just really want to use the CW Samurai. Right now I'm thinking of mixing Samurai, Exemplar, Marshal, Warblade, Avenging Executioner, and maybe a bit of Rogue. I intend on completely editing out my original post and replacing it with a detailed version of the final build.

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 12:37 PM
Ask your DM if you can use Iaijutsu Focus on the CW Samurai as a class skill.

Don't bother with Samurai 11; take a jump into Fighter at that level instead and get TWF with -all- weapons instead of just two specific kinds.

danzibr
2011-07-17, 12:46 PM
Ask your DM if you can use Iaijutsu Focus on the CW Samurai as a class skill.

Don't bother with Samurai 11; take a jump into Fighter at that level instead and get TWF with -all- weapons instead of just two specific kinds.
Huh? I thought I couldn't get it since my Dex would be so low. One of the mains reasons I'm going Samurai is to TWF with crap Dex.

NineThePuma
2011-07-17, 12:52 PM
Why is your dex low? =\

Also, I could have sworn the Samurai actually had the 'you must meet the prerequisites' clause, but I guess I could be wrong.

Cieyrin
2011-07-17, 01:08 PM
he only reason I don't want to do SA-type damage is because of all the stuff it doesn't work on.

For that, Magic Item Compendium is your friend. Greater Demolition and Greater Truedeath weapon crystals attached to your weapon of choice will let you crit and sneak attack Constructs and Undead, respectively. :smallwink:

As for rogue, I'd go for Ronin for Banzai Charge for the mini-Shock Trooper and Sneak Attack, which I can see is the only thing you'd want from Rogue. The prereqs you'll meet by default, though you want to finish your Samurai levels before going Ronin.

As for the Samurai Two-Weaponing, it ignores the Dex prereq.

danzibr
2011-07-17, 01:41 PM
Why is your dex low? =\
Because I'll be wearing really heavy armor.

For that, Magic Item Compendium is your friend. Greater Demolition and Greater Truedeath weapon crystals attached to your weapon of choice will let you crit and sneak attack Constructs and Undead, respectively. :smallwink:
Ahh man I wish I'd known this sooner. I scrapped making a rogue once because of this. It's looking like some SA is the way to go. Ooh, Iaijutsu + SA, mmm yeah.

Jude_H
2011-07-17, 01:45 PM
I mentioned the Ronin level swap, but maybe I should elaborate.

CW Samurai 11 can trade 10 levels for Ronin and retain its own class features. There is absolutely no mechanical reason not to. It's a free 4d6 sneak attack, Headless charge, intimidate bonus and probably something else I'm forgetting. The Samurai retains its bonus feats and intimidate abilities. The result is a solid damage-dealer with 2 modes of output and the added option of fear effects.

It's not normally a great approach because it requires 11 Samurai levels to put together, but it sounds like you'll be taking those anyway.

Cieyrin
2011-07-17, 02:05 PM
I mentioned the Ronin level swap, but maybe I should elaborate.

CW Samurai 11 can trade 10 levels for Ronin and retain its own class features. There is absolutely no mechanical reason not to. It's a free 4d6 sneak attack, Headless charge, intimidate bonus and probably something else I'm forgetting. The Samurai retains its bonus feats and intimidate abilities. The result is a solid damage-dealer with 2 modes of output and the added option of fear effects.

It's not normally a great approach because it requires 11 Samurai levels to put together, but it sounds like you'll be taking those anyway.

You don't keep intimidate abilities, especially if you trade the levels away. Ex-Samurai lose their Cha-based abilities. Ronin's Ex-Samurai table let's you get them back, provided you have at least 6 Samurai levels. Also, Ronin doesn't get an Intimidate bonus, they get a penalty against Authority figures who identify them on Charisma-based checks, including Intimidate. I know that particular bit doesn't make any sense (You'd think Infamy should make you ****in' scary...) but that's the RAW of it.

danzibr
2011-07-17, 05:11 PM
Oops, I just realized I forgot Ronin off that list. Yeah, I'm considering Ronin too. However, as Cieyrin said, you lose the stuff you trade. To my understanding, going from Samurai 11 to Samurai 1/Ronin 10 you would *only* get the bonus features a first level Samurai has.

Cieyrin
2011-07-17, 05:21 PM
Oops, I just realized I forgot Ronin off that list. Yeah, I'm considering Ronin too. However, as Cieyrin said, you lose the stuff you trade. To my understanding, going from Samurai 11 to Samurai 1/Ronin 10 you would *only* get the bonus features a first level Samurai has.

Exactly.PostPadding

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-07-17, 10:41 PM
Exactly.PostPadding

He's exploiting the Samurai 10's Mass Staredown ability to be able to spam 'never outnumbered' every round. So he needs at *LEAST* Samurai 10. He needs 14 if he wants to do it without his armor.

Zhent Fighter is nice, but it's kind of expensive. I mean 9 levels into Fighter on top of 10 levels of Samurai doesn't leave you a whole lot of wiggle room, pre-epic...

Piggy Knowles
2011-07-18, 08:51 AM
Actually, if you're already considering Half-Orc Paragon (which you should - Menacing Demeanor plus its improved natural bonus is pretty slammin'), I would go ahead and take that second level of it, for Rage 1/day. That will open up Intimidating Rage, which will give you even more options for mass intimidation.

JaronK
2011-07-18, 10:19 AM
Have you considered using Zhentarium Fighter? At level 9 they can swift action Intimidate. Of course, it would mature really late if you're doing Z Fighter 9/Samurai 10, but it's something to consider.

And either way, don't forget Imperious Command.

JaronK

danzibr
2011-07-18, 10:55 AM
Actually, if you're already considering Half-Orc Paragon (which you should - Menacing Demeanor plus its improved natural bonus is pretty slammin'), I would go ahead and take that second level of it, for Rage 1/day. That will open up Intimidating Rage, which will give you even more options for mass intimidation.
Ahh, thanks for the suggestions. I'm pretty sure I'm going to stick with Hellbred. Still, maybe I'll make another build.

Have you considered using Zhentarium Fighter? At level 9 they can swift action Intimidate. Of course, it would mature really late if you're doing Z Fighter 9/Samurai 10, but it's something to consider.

And either way, don't forget Imperious Command.

JaronK
Thanks JaronK, but both have been suggested.

Cieyrin
2011-07-18, 03:41 PM
He's exploiting the Samurai 10's Mass Staredown ability to be able to spam 'never outnumbered' every round. So he needs at *LEAST* Samurai 10. He needs 14 if he wants to do it without his armor.

Zhent Fighter is nice, but it's kind of expensive. I mean 9 levels into Fighter on top of 10 levels of Samurai doesn't leave you a whole lot of wiggle room, pre-epic...

I was agreeing with his sentiment to not use Ronin to replace Samurai levels but to keep at least 10 for his abilities and use Ronin for SA dice and mini-Shock Trooper. I didn't say anything about him replacing levels. :smallconfused:

danzibr
2011-07-19, 07:57 AM
It looks like, by RAW, Never Outnumbered can work with Fearsome but Mass Staredown can't. That changes things a bit.

danzibr
2011-07-20, 09:24 PM
This is what the first thread was.
And yes I mean the CW Samurai. And please, please nobody say, "Play a Warblade, they're like a Samurai." I want to play a CW Samurai, not another class. Specifically, I want to make someone who focuses on scaring dudes. I plan on going Samurai and Exemplar, but I don't know what else.

Here's what I have so far:
Hellbred with Spirit aspect gives +2 Cha and +2 racial Intimidate.
Abrasive (trait) gives +1 unnamed Intimidate.
5 ranks in Bluff gives +2 synergy bonus.
Persuasive (feat) gives +2 unnamed bonus.
Skill Focus (feat) gives +3 unnamed bonus.
Fearsome (armor from Drow of the Underdark) gives +5 enhancement and demoralize as move action.
Skill Artistry (Examplar 1st) gives +4 competence (and Mastery, take 10).
Staredown (Samurai) gives +4 unnamed.
Never Outnumbered (skill trick) not a + bonus but still good, demoralize lots of peeps.
Imperious Command (feat) also not a bonus but gooood... cowering then shaken.

So at level 10 (the earliest I should be able to take Exemplar) that should be +28 to Intimidate, excluding actual skill ranks (I'm assuming my Cha will be 20 as I'm starting with 18). And I could get a cloak or something. So taking 10 with 13 ranks would give 51.

So anyways, I think I'm about set on Intimidate, but... what else should I do? I want to be able to swing my swords a little bit. I guess my question is what should I have my character do beyond Intimidating? If I run into something mindless or immune to fear I don't want to be totally boned. I should say my DM will probably be fine with adding Iaijutsu to the CS Samurai skill list, so I'll probably do something with that.

Also, I noticed someone who cowers loses their Dex bonus to AC. That opens some doors.

Long story short:
Q1) Did I miss anything that can improve (not necessarily just +x) Intimidate?
Q2) What else would you suggest I do?
It is now Bushi himself.