PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Undead & HD

Thurbane
2011-07-16, 06:59 PM
OK, something is really bothering me. It's about undead and their Hit Die type. I always ran under the impression that all undead HD (racial and by class) were changed to d12.

But I've seen people saying that class HD remain as normal, unless the undead template specifically says otherwise. Is this correct?

Side question: apart from Toughness and similar feats, and those lucky undead who get the Unholy Toughness ability (CHA bonus to HP), are there any good RAW ways to boost an undead's HP total?

Cheers - T

The Dark Fiddler
2011-07-16, 07:08 PM
But I've seen people saying that class HD remain as normal, unless the undead template specifically says otherwise. Is this correct?

Yes; you take the HD of your class unless a specific event changes it (I'm pretty sure there's other templates, not just undead ones, that change even your class HD sizes).

Drelua
2011-07-16, 07:08 PM
The Monster Manual says you don't change class HD, but it also says you do for liches, so maybe its different for undead. And to your side question, there's always inflict spells. You could put an item in them that's constantly casting inflict light on them. Maybe talk your DM into a price reduction for the limited target?

Coidzor
2011-07-16, 07:21 PM
black sand. Fast healing for undead.

Thurbane
2011-07-16, 07:58 PM
Fast healing is good, as is temporary hit points, but what ways are there to increase permanent hit point total?

Jack_Simth
2011-07-16, 08:05 PM
Side question: apart from Toughness and similar feats, and those lucky undead who get the Unholy Toughness ability (CHA bonus to HP), are there any good RAW ways to boost an undead's HP total?Most such methods require you to do so at the undead's creation. Create an undead in a Desecrated (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/desecrate.htm) area with a shrine to an evil deity, and they get +2 HP/HD. The Corpsecrafter feat (Libris Mortis) grants +2 HP/HD. The Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) has a class ability at 8th that grants +2 HP/HD of undead created.

dextercorvia
2011-07-16, 10:51 PM
Would Faerie Mysteries Initiate do it?

Obviously they do it all the time, but you know what I mean.

Thurbane
2011-07-17, 02:05 AM
Would Faerie Mysteries Initiate do it?

Obviously they do it all the time, but you know what I mean.
I believe this would work...although I find the feat unbearably silly, and would hate myself for including it in my game. Plus the mental image of an animate corpse performing "an exuberant sensual act" with a Pixie or similar is just...too much. :smalltongue:

Herabec
2011-07-17, 02:08 AM
The Unholy Fortitude feat is also good... Can't remember which book it's from at the moment, however.

It allows Undead to use their Charisma bonus for bonus HP similar to a Con score.

Not useful for all undead, but for undead with at least a +1 in Cha, it adds a nice amount of extra points.

Eurus
2011-07-17, 02:10 AM
The Unholy Fortitude feat is also good... Can't remember which book it's from at the moment, however.

It allows Undead to use their Charisma bonus for bonus HP similar to a Con score.

Not useful for all undead, but for undead with at least a +1 in Cha, it adds a nice amount of extra points.

I am nearly certain that is not a feat, or if it is it's a 3rd party one. Unholy Fortitude is almost always a special racial feature for certain templates and monsters, like Dry Liches.

Thurbane
2011-07-17, 02:17 AM
Yep, Boneclaw too. I might just houserule it as a feat for undead.

UNHOLY TOUGHNESS (MONSTROUS)

Prerequisites: Cha 13, undead type, Toughness
Benefit: You gain a bonus to your hit points equal to your Charisma modifier x your Hit Dice.

Herabec
2011-07-17, 02:22 AM
I am nearly certain that is not a feat, or if it is it's a 3rd party one. Unholy Fortitude is almost always a special racial feature for certain templates and monsters, like Dry Liches.

Ah.. My apologies. I always thought it was an undead specific feat.

Still, slapping that Special Quality on undead seems to generate positive results in my games. It allows the more intelligent Undead to pose a more serious threat without getting totally wasted due to near-laughable HP pools.

Shadowknight12
2011-07-17, 02:25 AM
I believe this would work...although I find the feat unbearably silly, and would hate myself for including it in my game. Plus the mental image of an animate corpse performing "an exuberant sensual act" with a Pixie or similar is just...too much. :smalltongue:

There's a reason the Lichloved feat exists, you know.

Anyway, it's not a fix, but contingent False Life or similar effects do give you what you need. Also, Vampiric Touch. Also, Fast Healing works on undead.

Jack_Simth
2011-07-17, 09:44 AM
Side question: apart from Toughness and similar feats, and those lucky undead who get the Unholy Toughness ability (CHA bonus to HP), are there any good RAW ways to boost an undead's HP total?

Cheers - T

You might be able to convince your DM to use the Pathfinder undead type - that grants Cha to HP (and a few other things), but uses a d8 hit die.