PDA

View Full Version : I need help.

Kenneth
2011-07-16, 08:14 PM
I am playing a 11th level wizard (generalist) in a pathfinder game. our Main villain is a lvl 20 wizard ( all I know for sure is that he has 10 levels of eldritch knight and 1 level of fighter. IDK what the other 9 levels truely are)

the DM made fo the mistake of having him show up in person to our group to try and take teh 'gem' we have that he needs to create some artifact or some such.

WHile he was talking (read threanening) with the rest of the party I hit him with a disintegrate spell (which did 63 damage). Right after that Our fighter/cleric proceeded to crit him for 72 damage ( we all still had our combat buff up). A couple more rounds passed and we neded up dealing over 200 damage to this guy.

I need a way to kill this wizard, without breaking the rules ( idk how he got over 200 HP to begin with as our DMs rule is avg HP per level)

I need to know which spells/feats I need to counter this A-hole wizard.

If the DM just didn't want us to kill teh wizard then, i would havce been fine with that, we have attacked him before only tof ind out it was an illusion or a low level apprentice that he illusioned to look like himself.

I can;t do any spell the requires a save as his fortudue is at least a +16 ( he passed my save on a 11) and his will is even higher, as is his reflex and the DM literaly said " as long as I do not roll a one")

Can anybody help me out here?

RandomNPC
2011-07-16, 08:20 PM
The guy has Plot Armor, you will not kill him until the end of the story, or the big reveal that he's just second in command.

Kenneth
2011-07-16, 08:34 PM
That what I assumed. BUt when the wizard himself shows up, I though that that WAS the end of teh story we just got out of a combat, was weakened. and he showed up tell teh cleric to hand over teh pebble, she ran away to which he respsned with a hold person, at that time I disintegrate dhim.. only.. I didnot.

Like I said if he did not want teh wizar dot actually be there, he had been using dummy wizards previosuly and this time would be no different.

I just need a spell that deals damage, pust a major status effect on somebody that ignroes saves and probably magic resist as well.

vampire2948
2011-07-16, 09:14 PM
Hmm. Have you considered that you might need your artifact to beat him?

Also - You're lvl 11 still? You'll have higher power spells by the time you get to the right level to fight the BBEG.

Further - How about using other things to beat him. Like Constructs. Their magic immunity is effective against wizards who aren't prepared for them. Maybe use antimagic and counterspells to keep them safe while they do their work.

Also, summoning planar allies could do the trick. Many of them have neat SLAs that aren't on your spell list.

Edit : Could try to cast some Heightened Bestow Curse / Greater version on him to lower his saves. Then hit him with some more debuffs like Slow. Orb of Cold's blind effect would be useful if you can make it stick, he has to fail a fortitude save. You could try the Twin Spell Metamagic to give you extra chances to blind.

Edit 2 : This wizard/eldritch knight is likely running some tasty buffs. Maybe try some dispelling / mage's disjunction when you get that at 17th level.

Kenneth
2011-07-17, 10:42 AM
I think I figured it out.

I am going to summon an elephant over his head dropping it on him.

I just need to know where the falling damage rules are for pathfinder.

I know where they are for 3.5, for every 20 pounds its 1d6 and every 10 feet its 1d6 (max 20d6 for distance).

Just wondering whee I can find these rules for this so ic an squish the mage with a falling elephant for weighing in at an averageweight of 8 tons and falling 100 feet in 3.5 that would deal 80d6 for weight and 10d6 for falling distance netting me about 297 dmg done..

Hopefully Pathfinder is rmotely close to this.

NNescio
2011-07-17, 10:49 AM
I think I figured it out.

I am going to summon an elephant over his head dropping it on him.

I just need to know where the falling damage rules are for pathfinder.

I know where they are for 3.5, for every 20 pounds its 1d6 and every 10 feet its 1d6 (max 20d6 for distance).

Just wondering whee I can find these rules for this so ic an squish the mage with a falling elephant for weighing in at an averageweight of 8 tons and falling 100 feet in 3.5 that would deal 80d6 for weight and 10d6 for falling distance netting me about 297 dmg done..

Hopefully Pathfinder is rmotely close to this.

You can't.

A creature or object brought into being or transported to your location by a conjuration spell cannot appear inside another creature or object, nor can it appear floating in an empty space. It must arrive in an open location on a surface capable of supporting it.

The same passage is also present in the original 3.5e SRD.

Kamai
2011-07-17, 11:15 AM
Enervation, while taking some time (or some crazy optimizing), will eat through his saves, opening up a lot of other possibilities. Bonus points if you can get your hands on a standard metamagic rod of maximize or Quicken. Unlike bestow curse, it allows for no save.

opticalshadow
2011-07-17, 11:18 AM
Hmm. Have you considered that you might need your artifact to beat him?

Also - You're lvl 11 still? You'll have higher power spells by the time you get to the right level to fight the BBEG.

Further - How about using other things to beat him. Like Constructs. Their magic immunity is effective against wizards who aren't prepared for them. Maybe use antimagic and counterspells to keep them safe while they do their work.

Also, summoning planar allies could do the trick. Many of them have neat SLAs that aren't on your spell list.

Edit : Could try to cast some Heightened Bestow Curse / Greater version on him to lower his saves. Then hit him with some more debuffs like Slow. Orb of Cold's blind effect would be useful if you can make it stick, he has to fail a fortitude save. You could try the Twin Spell Metamagic to give you extra chances to blind.

Edit 2 : This wizard/eldritch knight is likely running some tasty buffs. Maybe try some dispelling / mage's disjunction when you get that at 17th level.

idk how useful summon construct would be. most times a dm tosses a enemy at the players, and isnt smart enough to have him survive it when he should by the rules, hell also have some magical way of defeating him at the end of the story as well. or will do everything in his limitless power to make sure you cant cheese him out of it.

again, assumeing of course he actually had plot armor on, there is a chance he was buffed enough thqat they didnt actually do that much dmg, or some such thing, but if the dm is willing to ignore the rules once, i would figure he has a single path to sucess you have to follow to win.

Anderlith
2011-07-17, 02:01 PM
Tame a bear. Antimagic Aura. Sic the bear on him. Win

On a side note, tell you DM that the wizard should use a clone (Spell) next time, so that you can "kill" the BBEG without killing the BBEG

Kenneth
2011-07-17, 02:24 PM
Like i said. he had been using that previously when we had encoutner the 'wizard' before. we had just foguth close to 50 minions of his ( we forces them through a narrow tunnel and i proceed to maximize quicken lighting bolt them all plus evard blakc tenacle everywhere while flying over head damn dragon came at me though...

anyways IF the DM had a plot and did not want us to kill teh wizard yet, I would have been FINE with that, he could have had a cloen or whatnot there already. But then we found out he did even HAVE the wizard made. litterally during the fight his wife had to do something with their baby (she is one of our clerics) he siad " i am going to need to actually make that wizard now, id id have him made yet)

that right there made me realize that I am going to have to do something that is asbolsutely written in black and white and theres no WAY he cna dispute it ( this guy has been arging that illusions don't work even if they fail their save becuase even with a missed attack theys till hit and deal damage, that getting hit with a fireball melted our fighter/clerics +2 mithral full plate and all of his gear except for his sword) I think after reaing all of this. I am just going to bow out of the campaign.

untill A) he learns the basics of the game or b) admits that he made a mistake and that was no the wizard but ANOTHER clone or what not and give our dead party memet their levels back ( they all died to his wail of the banshee)

what killed me the most was after all that damage 206 dmg to be precise

he said you haven't put too much of a hurt on him yet. though with his house rules on HP and the stat array he is using, that much HP would be impossible.

Aemoh87
2011-07-17, 02:28 PM
The guy has Plot Armor, you will not kill him until the end of the story, or the big reveal that he's just second in command.

This guy is a random NPC, i'd trust him.

Gabe the Bard
2011-07-17, 09:49 PM
206 damage is actually not that much, especially at 20th level. He might have all kinds of protections, like DR, energy resistance, fast healing, Contingency, etc. He could even be splitting the damage with a cleric lackey using Shield Other.

Once you hit 13th level, you'll have access to Greater Arcane Sight, so you'll see just what buffs he has on him. Go to town with Greater Dispel Magic (watch out for Spell Turning!) and debuffs. Then let your melee fighters have at him.

Groverfield
2011-07-17, 10:18 PM
Other than plot armor:

It wasn't him, but rather a magically disguised high level creature with regeneration, and you were just doing subdual damage to him. The reason the DM did not send an illusion is to avoid "How did the illusion pick up the gem?"

What you'll want to do is get true seeing so you know what you're actually fighting next time, start making a few scrolls of them. You don't want to rely on SoDs, or the DM will make him immune via Death Ward, which he might already be. Another option is Detect Magic, 2nd turn if you smell any illusion then it's a wash and you're fighting a reduced troll. Also gishs usually have a kinda poor base reflex save, helped only by a good dex score, so if you're having a bad time getting past his saves, that's usually the weakest one, but rays are probably a safer bet.

Rei_Jin
2011-07-17, 10:38 PM
From the sound of it, your DM is playing with a very loose interpretation of the rules. In other words, you won't be able to beat this BBEG until he wants you to.

So I'd say to either bow out of the campaign if you're not having fun, or simply accept that this is how it is, and put together some plans by the rules that you know he won't be able to dispute, and don't use those plans until you know for certain that you can now kill the BBEG.

A fun one that you may be able to pull off, is to Quickened Forcecage the BBEG, then fill the Forcecage with a Wall of Sand.