PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 psion max dmg potential

kayden87
2011-07-17, 05:22 PM
I made a lvl 20 character 10psion10anarchic initiate. With energy missile, overchannel for 23pp I can get it maxamized, twinned(belt of battle for move action) with 12 augments dealing 15d6x2 dmg so 180 and possible double damage from anarchic initiate so 360. Can u get higher? Or energy missile the only good dmg spell

Big Fau
2011-07-17, 06:06 PM
There was a build over on the Gleemax boards that could get around 400ish damage with Tornado Blast.

And with Metamagic Rods and Legacy Items thrown in for good measure, I am certain that we can get that up to 600 or so.

Moriato
2011-07-17, 06:08 PM
possible double damage from anarchic initiate so 360.

"Double" on the chart for Anarchic Initiate doesn't actually mean double damage, but rather "maximized" as the Maximize Power feat. Since it's already maximized that wouldn't have any effect. "Plus 50%" (As the Empower Power feat) would, though, for another 90 damage.

ericgrau
2011-07-17, 06:37 PM
Empower doesn't empower the maximize, it only adds half of the rolled damage. I think that puts him at 232.5 average to up to 5 targets, no 2 of which are more than 15' apart, but he's taking 22.5 average backlash.

It's not psion but a good baseline is empowered twinned fireball x 2 (belt of battle) = 210 in an area, i.e. multiple targets. Archmage to exclude allies and to change the energy type to get around resistances. Hmm, almost the same.

kayden87
2011-07-17, 06:47 PM
Aww, so they dont stack hmmm

U dont take any back lash dmg if u take talented

WinWin
2011-07-17, 07:16 PM
Craft Psionic Tattoo.

Normally you can only have 20 and active one as a standard action. However...

If you gain more than 20 tattoos, they all activate.

So, craft 20 tattoos on yourself. Craft 1 on your psicrystal. Have your psicrystal tranfer a tattoo to your character on it's action.

21 powers activate. No actions taken by the Psion.

Bigger? Try a tattoo crafting Thrallherd that activates metaconcert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/metaconcert.htm).

For even more abuse, take a look at this Mind's Eye article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a).

Kind of makes me want to play an Erudite...

Groverfield
2011-07-18, 12:15 AM
There's a 1st level power in EPH that does 1d10 per pp instead of 1d6, will half, but no touch needed. I forget what it's called 'cause I always called it "Melt his brain"

Flickerdart
2011-07-18, 12:29 AM
There's a 1st level power in EPH that does 1d10 per pp instead of 1d6, will half, but no touch needed. I forget what it's called 'cause I always called it "Melt his brain"
Mind Thrust. Not Will Half, Will Negates, and Mind Affecting while you're at it.

Energy Current is great to augment because you only pay the PP once and then keep concentrating on it to get the same tricked out effect for free. Oh, and it branches to a second enemy for free.

Psyren
2011-07-18, 07:41 AM
U dont take any back lash dmg if u take talented

Note that Talented requires you to expend a focus to avoid the Overchannel backlash. This further limits the number of metapsionics you can pile onto a power.

dragonsamurai77
2011-07-18, 11:11 AM
You can get much higher, not realistically of course: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868594/World_Record_Damage:_Multiple_dirty_tricks_for_ins ane_synergy!

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-07-18, 11:31 AM
With the Psionic Dreadnought and Mad Minute tricks in the Psionic Tricks Handbook linked in my sig, you can get nigh infinite damage in one (rather long) round. I think that is the max you're going to find, and should be sufficient for whatever purposes you have.

kayden87
2011-07-18, 12:38 PM
Note that Talented requires you to expend a focus to avoid the Overchannel backlash. This further limits the number of metapsionics you can pile onto a power.

I got belt of battle and physic meditation ( i think thats the one ) so i can be focused at the start of the battle. Use it. Lose my move action to re do it. and belt of battle will give me a nother move action. so 1 for backlash, 2 for meta and 3 for meta

With the Psionic Dreadnought and Mad Minute tricks in the Psionic Tricks Handbook linked in my sig, you can get nigh infinite damage in one (rather long) round. I think that is the max you're going to find, and should be sufficient for whatever purposes you have.

Are these rules also updated for the 3.5 version of Expanded Psionics Hand book? Like with in the last 2 years lol

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-07-18, 01:01 PM
Those tricks are all using 3.5 material, yes.

Psyren
2011-07-18, 01:03 PM
I don't want to meet anyone who wrote a handbook for 3.0 psionics; the last vestiges of their sanity must have surely disintegrated by now.

kayden87
2011-07-18, 01:06 PM
WHen i first started looking at Psions i saw Egoist, and I was like wow ill juss turn my self into a dragon or sumthing and fight that way. So i started making the character sheet and saw that it required STR as the main stat and i was like ohhhh.... nevermind......

the next day my DM told me, "you know thats a 3.0 PFD right?"

read 3.5 version they all use int as the main stat lol yay

tyckspoon
2011-07-18, 06:30 PM
I got belt of battle and physic meditation ( i think thats the one ) so i can be focused at the start of the battle. Use it. Lose my move action to re do it. and belt of battle will give me a nother move action. so 1 for backlash, 2 for meta and 3 for meta

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work, because all of those metafeats/focuses have to be applied and expended at the time you manifest the power. There's no time in there to take a breather for a move action to get another focus- by the time you've done that, you already manifested the power.

Flickerdart
2011-07-18, 06:49 PM
The best way to stack metapsionics is Ardent 10 for Dominant Ideal. You'll only have about half the powers known, and there are no bonus feats, so it's not a freebie.

kayden87
2011-07-19, 03:45 PM
I'm pretty sure this doesn't work, because all of those metafeats/focuses have to be applied and expended at the time you manifest the power. There's no time in there to take a breather for a move action to get another focus- by the time you've done that, you already manifested the power.

Hmm darn, well at least I can be focused for next round

Psyren
2011-07-19, 03:58 PM
The best way to stack metapsionics is Ardent 10 for Dominant Ideal. You'll only have about half the powers known, and there are no bonus feats, so it's not a freebie.

If you get Mantle Substitution to fill the gaps, it's closer to 2/3 powers known (they have a max of 21.) And if you're allowed Dominant Ideal, you may as well go whole hog :smalltongue:

kayden87
2011-07-20, 05:51 PM
Thats a nother thing I saw confused on how mantles work

Flickerdart
2011-07-20, 07:25 PM
Thats a nother thing I saw confused on how mantles work
An Ardent is allowed a certain number of mantles based on his level. He may pick his Powers Known only from those mantles, and he only gets one Power Known per level (except for level 1) so he's limited in two ways. The flipside is that many mantles have unique powers, or powers at a lower level than anyone else gets them.

kayden87
2011-07-20, 10:26 PM
Ahh ok, other than anarchic, anything else give full manifester lvls? I know most are like 3/4 growth

Dont have access to psyrens guide atm.. Stupid andriod cell phone

candycorn
2011-07-21, 06:07 AM
To be honest, Metamind is likely the way to go here. With that, temporal regression, anticipatory strike, synchronicity, schism, twin power, and a psicrystal with hidden talent, and psicrystal containment...

You can get as many turns in a round as you want, and never run out of power points. You regress the metamind font of power every round, so that you never run out of infinite power points. Combine Anticipatory Strike with Temporal Acceleration and Twinned Synchronicity, and you have an as many turns as you want engine, which has power point cost as its only limit.

Except you never run out of those.

So you can use your one action left per round to use a blast spell, and you take turns over and over until your opponent is dead.

The damage result between opponents turns for this is: As much as you need.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-21, 09:44 AM
Ask Rizban, he had a charecter killed off from Assasins vs bodyguards because it was so good at blasting.

kayden87
2011-07-21, 03:19 PM
Yeah, juss sucks metamind does not have.full manifester levels

Flickerdart
2011-07-21, 03:23 PM
Yeah, juss sucks metamind does not have.full manifester levels
Go Ardent, boost your ML, enjoy winning at life.

kayden87
2011-07-21, 07:04 PM
Going to have to check that class out now

What mantles make you win at life lol

Psyren
2011-07-21, 07:40 PM
Going to have to check that PrC out

I recommend the Pathfinder version (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/metamind)

kayden87
2011-07-21, 08:12 PM
well my DM wants 3.5 rules is pathfinder rules made up? or is it a WOTC variant?

Psyren
2011-07-21, 08:28 PM
well my DM wants 3.5 rules is pathfinder rules made up? or is it a WOTC variant?

Technically it's all made-up :smalltongue: but Pathfinder is a separate system. It would be easy to convert though if you wanted to try asking your DM; the PF Metamind is much, much better than the 3.5 version. If it's not allowed I would personally skip Metamind but it can work decently well with Ardent.

What mantles make you win at life lol

As written:

-Creation
-Deception
-Energy
-Fate
-Freedom
-Guardian
-Justice
-Mental Power
-Physical Power
-Time

With Mantle Substitution: any you can justify to your DM. For each mantle: pick a theme, pick the powers you like that fit that theme, profit. But definitely start by picking from the above.

Natural World also has metamorphosis; be sure to get this with Tap Mantle or Expanded Knowledge.

kayden87
2011-07-21, 08:35 PM
Ahh okay, So would i go Full ardent? or 10ardent/10 psion?

"edit" Is there a Build that I can see as an example? that you know of.

or full 20 psion

Divide by Zero
2011-07-22, 03:47 AM
You should never split your casting/manifesting levels like that, because then you end up with crappy abilities from both classes. Stick with one or the other.

kayden87
2011-07-23, 12:33 PM
Should I take full ardent to 20? or put a PrC in there? Cause i know now not to split the base classes

Flickerdart
2011-07-23, 12:43 PM
Should I take full ardent to 20? or put a PrC in there? Cause i know now not to split the base classes
Ardent is worth taking 10 levels of because of Dominant Ideal. After that, it depends on what mantles you chose - many mantles don't have good high-level powers, so it's an acceptable strategy to pick mantles with good low-level powers for your first three, and then take something chock-full of juicy high level ones with your 15th level of Ardent. After that, there's no reason in continuing Ardent, so feel free to grab a PrC.

kayden87
2011-07-23, 07:06 PM
Well can you do the Psion tricks as an Ardent? Like the PP Recharge tricsks and the Affinity field, Fussion thing for extra turns.

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-07-23, 07:14 PM
Well can you do the Psion tricks as an Ardent? Like the PP Recharge tricsks and the Affinity field, Fussion thing for extra turns.

Oh, yeah, as long as you get the necessary powers on your mantles and take the necessary feats.

kayden87
2011-07-23, 07:48 PM
Ahh okay, perfect thank you

Where do you find hustle as a lvl one power?

Egoist 3 and psywarrior 2

I dont get how the recharge trick works now

Kalaska'Agathas
2011-08-08, 01:28 PM
Egoist 3 and psywarrior 2

I dont get how the recharge trick works now

Which recharge trick? Affinity Field works on all powers level three and lower, mind you...

kayden87
2011-08-08, 01:39 PM
The MoI one, linked power with meyapower for hustle and bestow power. But hustle isnt a lvl one power tho. In the psion books its egoist 3 and psywarrior 2

Unless im missing something

Wings of Peace
2011-08-08, 05:59 PM
With Affinity Field and a Psycrystal you should be able to create an infinite damage loop. That's probably the highest.

kayden87
2011-08-08, 06:45 PM
My dm banned infinate loops, but allowing the recharge. If I can find hustle as a first lvl power.. Lol