PDA

View Full Version : Ring of +2 Level Rebuking

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-17, 07:28 PM
Is this overly ridiculous? I was hoping to ask my DM about something like this but I wasn't sure if this was too ridiculous. Basically it'd be a ring that grants you a +2 cleric level when it comes to turning/rebuking attempts (rebuking in my case). I'd say it's probably a moderately powerful magic item, but is there a magic item already like this? And not just a bonus to the turning check, but a bonus to the HD of Undead. If this is too powerful, help me think of a compromise please.

Another question, is there a limit on how long you can command an undead telepathically when you get more than twice its HD on a rebuking check?

n00bsticker
2011-07-17, 07:32 PM
Phylactery of Undead turning, DMG. Except that one's a +4.

Keld Denar
2011-07-17, 07:37 PM
Phylactery, and most items like it only work for turning, not rebuking.

But to answer your question, probably not. Since there is no "greater rebuking" like there is for turning, your odds of commanding something really big with this are low. The only thing its decent for is spawn chaining, which really isn't THAT hard for a DM to control.

ericgrau
2011-07-17, 07:42 PM
2750 gp for the ring then, 11000 gp for a +4 similar to the phylactery. You rebuke as a cleric 2 levels higher than what you are. FAQ says that particular wording prevents it from stacking with practically anything, as both such items would reference your actual cleric level not your adjusted level. This is of course a custom item requiring DM approval, but ya I don't see the problem as long as you don't exceed +4.

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-17, 07:43 PM
Well, I'm playing a Mystic Theurge (and before anyone critisizes me for it, I realize the problems with the class. I found ways to optomize), so I want something to help me rebuke the wights I create. I found a way to negative level at low levels. So I wanted to get something to empower my rebuking so I wouldn't have to put more levels in cleric than I have to. I'll ask my DM if I can get a (Houseruled) Phylactery of Undead Rebuking. Thanks guys. Any other advice? :smallconfused:

ericgrau
2011-07-17, 07:44 PM
Circlet of persuasion, 4500 gp, +3 to your charisma-based checks including rebuke checks. Heck you might even be able to grab some cross-class use magic device eventually. Also works well with charm monster. Hmm... with all the spell slots you have grab quicken spell and blow all your lower level spells on 10 minute/level and hour/level buffs. That or swift/immediate action spells. Either way to burn all those extra slots without eating combat rounds. Spell compendium has a lot of options on swift action spells. Why waste a turn casting fly when you can afford to cast swift fly every turn without ever eating a turn?

@V Cool lemme know how it turns out after the campaign is over.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-07-17, 07:48 PM
There is a 3rd party PrC that actually completely built around Rebuking Undead. I am currently using it in tandom with an the domain power ACF and a homebrew ACF I got made on request here on the forums that gives a wizard rebuke and access to all cleric list necromancy spells, though with some pretty big drawbacks to offset this. It's been a blast to play this guy and he is everything a Necro wizard should have been. Excellent Animator, excellent at "caster" necromancy and due to his PrC he's a master at rebuking undead into his service.....the only issues are that the PrC is A) Third party, so may not fly in your game B) requires ranks in a 3rd party skill as entry and C) only advances one caster class, so if this request is for your MT necro character that you have discussed around here a lot it really would not be all that great, especially since your rebuke is only that of a level 3 cleric if your an MT.

If your interested, the class is called the "Dark Channeler" and I forget what book it is from. If your interested just tell me so and I will dig through my pdfs to find out the name of the supplement.

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-17, 07:56 PM
Circlet of persuasion, 4500 gp, +3 to your charisma-based checks including rebuke checks. Heck you might even be able to grab some cross-class use magic device eventually. Also works well with charm monster. Hmm... with all the spell slots you have grab quicken spell and blow all your lower level spells on 10 minute/level and hour/level buffs. That or swift/immediate action spells. Either way to burn all those extra slots without eating combat rounds. Spell compendium has a lot of options on swift action spells. Why waste a turn casting fly when you can afford to cast swift fly every turn without ever eating a turn?

This is good advice, but the +3 to turning checks is not quite what I was looking for. I meant as if my cleric level was 3 levels higher, not just the turning check. But otherwise, good advice, thank you! :smallsmile:

There is a 3rd party PrC that actually completely built around Rebuking Undead. I am currently using it in tandom with an the domain power ACF and a homebrew ACF I got made on request here on the forums that gives a wizard rebuke and access to all cleric list necromancy spells, though with some pretty big drawbacks to offset this. It's been a blast to play this guy and he is everything a Necro wizard should have been. Excellent Animator, excellent at "caster" necromancy and due to his PrC he's a master at rebuking undead into his service.....the only issues are that the PrC is A) Third party, so may not fly in your game B) requires ranks in a 3rd party skill as entry and C) only advances one caster class, so if this request is for your MT necro character that you have discussed around here a lot it really would not be all that great, especially since your rebuke is only that of a level 3 cleric if your an MT.

If your interested, the class is called the "Dark Channeler" and I forget what book it is from. If your interested just tell me so and I will dig through my pdfs to find out the name of the supplement.

That prestige class does sound nice... I may use it for another character in another campaign, but not this one. Would you mind tellin' me what book it's in? I may be able to find a use for it. Our DM is pretty loose with things like 3rd party books. I'd probably end up being able to use it if I do use it. So, what book, please? :smallconfused: Thanks to you for this advice. It will help me if I end up DMing... :smallamused:

Maho-Tsukai
2011-07-17, 08:06 PM
The book is a pdf called "Dark Arts of Necromancy," and it is produced by Anubium. I found it on RPGNow, if you want a place to go look for it. {{scrubbed}}

n00bsticker
2011-07-17, 08:07 PM

True, but I was answering whether or not there were similar items so that he could discuss options with his DM.

Cornelius Grim
2011-07-17, 08:12 PM
The book is a pdf called "Dark Arts of Necromancy," and it is produced by Anubium. I found it on RPGNow, if you want a place to go look for it. Also, if you find the price too high(it was dirt cheap last time I remember, though) drop me a PM and I may be able to find a way to get you a reduced rate. *wink*

That's very nice of you but unfortunately I'm only 13 and my family and I are saving money to go on vacation. We can't afford to buy a bunch of awesome PDFs. Thanks anyway though, lol. :smallwink:

Talya
2011-07-18, 10:45 AM

That isn't true. Anything that boosts Turn also boosts Rebuke.

Explained more here:
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872726/Revised_Necromancer_Handbook&post_num=2#338468934