PDA

View Full Version : I never Meta-Magic Rod I didn't like

thompur
2011-07-17, 08:11 PM
Can a Meta-Magic Rod be used to modify a use of a wand or a casting from a scroll? I can't find anything either way in the DMG.:smallannoyed:

Shpadoinkle
2011-07-17, 08:23 PM
Well, unless I'm mistaken, if you have a metamagic feat you can't apply it to a wand or whatever if it wasn't crafted to have that feat applied already. Since a metamagic rod basically grants you the ability to use a feat without actually taking it, I'd have to say no, you can't use a metamagic rod in conjunction with another item to apply the feat to the spell being cast.

But that's just how I'd rule it, I don't know if the official ruling is any different.

thompur
2011-07-17, 08:27 PM
Well, unless I'm mistaken, if you have a metamagic feat you can't apply it to a wand or whatever if it wasn't crafted to have that feat applied already. Since a metamagic rod basically grants you the ability to use a feat without actually taking it, I'd have to say no, you can't use a metamagic rod in conjunction with another item to apply the feat to the spell being cast.

But that's just how I'd rule it, I don't know if the official ruling is any different.

Yeah, that's logical. Thanks.

MrRigger
2011-07-17, 08:28 PM
I would personally rule no, for the same reason as above. An artificer could probably get away with it, but as a general rule, no, a character could not modify a scroll/wand/charged item with a meta-magic rod.

MrRigger

Seffbasilisk
2011-07-17, 11:30 PM
IIRC though, you use your CL, and can apply your feats and such to a staff though.

Might have been a houserule, or an old ruling a DM grandfathered in back in the day though.

Squiggles
2011-07-17, 11:34 PM
You're looking for Metamagic Spell Trigger feat... (Sorry, Complete Mage, it has some limitations but works in a pinch)

{Scrubbed}

Flickerdart
2011-07-17, 11:37 PM
Duct-tape them together, it should work. :smalltongue:

Gaius Marius
2011-07-17, 11:44 PM
Isn't there a magical item that allow to shoot multiple wands at the same time?

Starts from there, and move complexier. Just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean you can't try to make it work.

Flickerdart
2011-07-18, 12:12 AM
Rod of Many Wands from CMage, yeah. Shoot from up to 3 wands, each wand uses as many charges as there are wands.