PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Prestidigitation

Gorfnod
2011-07-18, 09:08 AM
Ok so the cantrip Prestidigitation clearly spells out that it is a standard action to cast the spell but it then lasts for an hour.

During the initial casting do you automatically get to use an effect of the spell (cleaning, coloring, etc) or does simply activating the one-hour duration of the spell use your standard action?

Also I had always assumed that any additional actions took another standard action, although not another casting, but reading the spell throughly seems to fluff some of the effects as swift actions. How do you guys treat this?

Diarmuid
2011-07-18, 09:11 AM
I've never actually seen Prestigiditation used in a scenario where we were keeping track of initiative so we mostly just say "I make the water hot" or "I clean my clothes off" and it happens.

Seeing that the spell doesnt actually specify (absolutely no mention of swift, immediate, or standard actions), I would conclude that enacting any of the options described in the spell would require a standard action, but I would allow for one such effect to be included in the initial casting.

graeylin
2011-07-18, 11:01 AM
i've always played it differently, depending on what the initial use was: To make a dozen different paper roses float in a circle in the air takes a standard action. Then, to me, if you want to change the pattern of floating from a circle to a figure eight, that's a free action, at best, a swift action. Or to change the color of the paper. Or change the roses to paper swans. Or make them loop out around an audience member, and come back.

Now, if you have those paper roses floating around, and you want to heat up that soup, that takes a standard action, because it is a very different aspect of the spell.

Just my way of DMing (and playing) it.

FMArthur
2011-07-18, 11:15 AM
Directing a spell is usually a move action. I would go with that unless it says otherwise.

Fouredged Sword
2011-07-18, 12:30 PM
Becuse makeing your cape flap in an invisable wind is vitle to winning combat!

bloodtide
2011-07-18, 12:31 PM
Ok so the cantrip Prestidigitation clearly spells out that it is a standard action to cast the spell but it then lasts for an hour.

During the initial casting do you automatically get to use an effect of the spell (cleaning, coloring, etc) or does simply activating the one-hour duration of the spell use your standard action?

Also I had always assumed that any additional actions took another standard action, although not another casting, but reading the spell throughly seems to fluff some of the effects as swift actions. How do you guys treat this?

During the initial casting of the spell, a standard action, the spell effect takes place...like with most other spells. You cast prestidigitation and clean some laundry or add some color to a panting.

There is no reason prestidigitation would give swift actions for things. If you want a combat-like swift action cantrip you might just want to make one.

Urpriest
2011-07-18, 02:48 PM
During the initial casting of the spell, a standard action, the spell effect takes place...like with most other spells. You cast prestidigitation and clean some laundry or add some color to a panting.

No. Prestidigitation explicitly says that it gives you the ability to perform multiple different simple magical effects over the course of one hour. Casting the spell itself does nothing.

The spell doesn't specify the action, and since it doesn't give you an ongoing effect to direct that rule isn't applicable either. The effects are explicitly magical, so it's either an SLA or a Supernatural Ability. Either defaults to Standard Actions, so that is what action it takes.

Gorfnod
2011-07-20, 07:52 AM
Thanks for all the responses. Seems like it really is just up to the DM to decide exactly how it works.