PDA

View Full Version : Star Wars Saga Edition Character Gen

McSwagger
2011-07-18, 11:45 AM
Hello all, this is my first post and I need some help with making a character for my friend's Star Wars campaign. He has been generous or I think he has been so far. He has made a race for each player and mine has a +2 racial ability mod, a bonus feat and skill, the scent ability as well as a racial weapon that is basically a shield with a chainsaw around it that has returning. We start out with 14 14 14 14 12 10 before mods and I kinda want to play a soldier or scout, but I don't know since I'm new to the system so if anyone could help me I would appreciate it. I'd even name the character after you lol. Oh almost forgot the gm is also giving everyone the use the force skill and force sensitivity feat for free as well.

Dienekes
2011-07-18, 10:08 PM
Alright well, if you're playing a soldier or scout you probably will be using a ranged weapon so I would suggest putting the +2 into Dexterity.

Scout, in my opinion is a very strong level 1 choice. 2nd highest skills (not the greatest skill list though), mid HP, and +2 Reflex all stand out as fantastic starting bonuses. Also it has Evasion as a fine defensive dip talent, or anything else you might fancy.

Not that Soldier is bad, an extra +6 HP can mean a good deal at first level, they also start with armor proficiencies which while a tad expensive can make you incredibly hard to kill at early levels (they dwindle out eventually admittedly, unless you really focus it). Soldier also has some of the best offensive and protection talents in the game.

The key to Saga, as far as I'm aware is to pick something and focus it. Also note there are no multiclass penalties so the only real reason to not take a few levels of both is that it might slow your progression into getting a full attack bonus needed prestige class by a level or two (Elite Trooper is the most common example).

Really I would ask what you want to do. Do you want to wear armor? Be a secondary skill monkey? Go running into combat with a blaster rifle killing anything that moves while shouting "CRY SOME MOAR!"? More details are needed to help you with your build.

Alleran
2011-07-18, 10:30 PM
Oh almost forgot the gm is also giving everyone the use the force skill and force sensitivity feat for free as well.
Put the +2 into CHA and take Skill Focus (Use the Force), then pair that with the Force Training feat. Skill check-based attacks absolutely dominate at low-levels because of the disparity between them and Defenses.

McSwagger
2011-07-19, 01:30 AM
To be honest I kinda want to be a close range soldier type and maybe go into scout later for the evasion talent. My gm made a big deal about how the shield I was given would be a symbol my character would be recognized by so if I don't use it in some way I think he might be ticked off. I just want to be useful to the party though. Armor would be cool but I was thinking of taking the weapon specialization talent tree and start off with devastating attack and maybe martial arts I as one of my feats though I have no clue what my second feat should be.

Alleran
2011-07-19, 04:11 AM
To be honest I kinda want to be a close range soldier type and maybe go into scout later for the evasion talent. My gm made a big deal about how the shield I was given would be a symbol my character would be recognized by so if I don't use it in some way I think he might be ticked off. I just want to be useful to the party though. Armor would be cool but I was thinking of taking the weapon specialization talent tree and start off with devastating attack and maybe martial arts I as one of my feats though I have no clue what my second feat should be.
Martial arts is much less easy to max out than fighting with actual weapons. Similarly, unless you're really going to pile on the feats and upgrades to whatever armour you wear, it'll come out below the others.

Scout + evasion is a common starting point for a lot of builds, though. But if you're going to be an up-close-and-personal combatant, then either Soldier or Jedi (especially Jedi if you're getting FS and the like for free) will serve you much better (starting in Soldier if you're going the heavily armoured route for access to the armour proficiencies). The Jedi Academy Training Manual has a bunch of Force powers that work with a lightsaber for Jedi characters - you could look into those.

Katana_Geldar
2011-07-19, 11:38 PM
Oh almost forgot the gm is also giving everyone the use the force skill and force sensitivity feat for free as well.

This will go down well, me thinks. :smalleek: