PDA

View Full Version : Strands of Heaven IC

wuwuwu
2011-07-18, 02:39 PM
It was getting to be that time again, and the villagers were growing excited. All of the young hoped that this would be the year Lord Zuti chose them, the old had given up hope.

A small festival was held in town to commemorate the event. Candied fruits and sweet drinks were sold. Paper masks were given to children, who pranced giggling through the village with sparkler sticks. A contest was held to see who had raised the finest sheep (a creature unique to the island), and Farmer Yun won. Afterwards, everybody remarked how sad it was that his daughter, Yi, who had helped raise the sheep since it was born, was not there to witness it (she was born with a Strand, so she was removed from the island on her 16th birthday, as is customary).

When Lord Zuti's servant, Makpu Fesui, the giant man made of a translucent green material, came to the village to name the three who were chosen to make the journey this year, he came silently. People wondered at his unusual, somber mood. Why was he not his usual mirthful self?

He stood silently in the village square as the crowd gathered. When everybody had arrived, he slowly moved his hand up, and raised his fingers.

Everybody gasped. Murmurs and whispers rippled through the crowd even as he made his announcement in his powerful, metallic voice.

"Four have been chosen for this year's journey."

At this confirmation, a woman at the head of the crowd fainted. As she was carried off into the shade, Makpu Fesui solemnly continued.

"An omen of death. I am sorry to name these four. This year will be the worst of years for them."

The giant green man pulled out a scroll and began reading off names.

"Adam Young. Braston Hedges. Raun Dashin. Renshi. Please, follow me."

Even as the crowd pushed you forward, they apologized for your misfortune. Makpu Fesui looked down at you with gentle eyes.

"Lord Zuti will explain everything."

As your group followed the giant along the seldom used path from the village to the jade tower, Farmer Yun ran after you with his prize sheep, shouting.

"Makpu Fesui! Please, take this sheep for Lord Zuti. It won the prize in this year's festival, but I can not bear to see it any longer. It reminds me too much of Yi…"

With an understanding nod, the giant picks up the sheep and carries it cradled in his arms. As Farmer Yun turns back to the village, he wishes you luck on your journey, and begins crying.

The journey to the jade tower is uneventful. Makpu Fesui walks in total silence, occasionally glancing back to make sure you are still following.

As you approach the center of the island, the magnificent tower rises up over the horizon. It's a magnificent structure, hundreds of feet tall and made of beautiful jade. At first glance, it appears to be a natural formation, but as you get closer numerous balconies, ornate windows, and decorative carvings cover the surface. Several green gargoyles take flight from their perches and enter the building from one of the balconies. Makpu Fesui turns to you to explain.

"Alerting the master that we arrive."

Inside, the tower is even more breathtaking. Every surface of the interior is carved with beautiful murals depicting legends and historical events. You can point out the Severing of the Last Emperor, the founding of Dauba, the creation of the dusty mountains of the orcs, the first battle against the elves, and many many more.

After many corridors and staircases, your guide stops in front of a great door and sets the sheep down gently.

"Lord Zuti will be waiting for you. Please, enter."

As you approach the doors, they open of their own accord, revealing a room, floor covered in sand, tended by a white-haired man raking patterns in the sand. His perfect posture and controlled movements shows a discipline beyond even that of Raun. Merely watching him push sand around gives you a sense that this man is very powerful, yet very kind. He turns to you, his face hard but his eyes display a surprising gentleness, and smiles.

"This is your year. Your chance to redeem yourselves, to reconnect with Heaven!"

He gives the sand a light tap with his foot, kicking up a storm of dust that hangs in the air, yet does not bother your eyes nor disturb your lungs.

"You see the selection process? Your severed Strand has grown receptive to divine power. That is how I decide who goes on the journey."

The sand has revealed a Strand, connecting your heart to his. He reaches out, tugging on each strand one by one, lightly, removing it's connection to him and letting it fall to the ground gently. He walks across the room, and stands in front of Adam.

"Adam Young, the elf slayer. This journey will not be kind to you", he says, before kissing him on the forehead. You can't explain it, but you have the strangest feeling that there is… a sunflower growing out of your head, even though there obviously isn't one.

He moves to Braston.

"Braston Hughes, the master of life energy. Your master will be pleased to find you released from this island, but will you share the feeling?", kissing Braston on the forehead who feels the same sunflower feeling.

"Raun Dashin, monk of the Dauban philosophy. Persevere, and the Most Balanced will forgive.". Kissing the forehead of the monk, he moves on. (Yes, the sunflower feeling is felt on your head, as well)

"And finally, Renshi. Forgiveness can still be found, as long as you hold it.", repeating the kissing process one last time.

"With my divine mark, those you would detect your Severed status will also detect my protection, and will not capture you to return you to this island, but this will not stop those who intend to kill you. Your journey will be south. As far south as you can go. If land still lies before you, you have not travelled south enough!"

"At the southernmost point, the edge of the land, you will find the Celestial Spider, Zizu. It will reconnect you to Heaven, should you complete the journey, which nobody has."

"This year, four of you were chosen. Four, the number of death. An ill omen! I have foreseen some of the events of this year. I feel only sorrow for you four. But keep heart! In the darkest of times, the brightest of mankind prosper! You must be the burning desire of man succeed! Only then will Zizu grant you your wish to reconnect with Heaven!"

"I will answer any questions you may have before you depart. When you are done, Makpu Fesui will guide you to the docks, where a boat will be waiting to take you to the main land. Do you wish to know anything?"

AtS
2011-07-18, 03:42 PM
Braston

Braston winces at Lord Zuti's kiss, and raises a hand to his forehead on instinct. Nothing - it was just a sensation; some sort of magic that the elder Shugenja had created.

A glance to either side gives a quick account of his companions. Two well-built men and a slighter, lithe one. It look like I'll be bringing up the rear on the physical side, Braston wagers. I just wonder how sharp their minds are.

The mage's thoughts turn to the recent developments. Every year, this festival feels like a macabre joke, Braston thinks to himself. The villagers celebrate and congratulate the chosen few, and then the chosen leave - never returning, never succeeding. Braston had thought of the ceremony as a condemnation. In the few years he'd lived on the island after his Severing, he'd grimly watched each and every party climb into those boats and sail past the horizon, back to the outside lands. All of them, dead inside, and soon to be just plain dead.

Braston reminisces about his years on the island, occasionally resurfacing to give Lord Zuti's words a cursory listen. He'd lived well, if not humbly. While he'd never ventured as far as to make any friends, everyone on the island was kind. There was a sense of community about it, if only because no other group would take the lot of them. Over the five years Braston had lived in communion with the rest of the Severed, he had largely postponed his studies of both magic and incarnum. Disillusioned by the falling out with his master, Braston took no joy in studying the few tomes that the village had access to. Truly, the mage had spent these past five years biding his time.

The thought of embarking on this charade was always a sickening one, and yet, now that his time had come, Braston found himself at peace.

At Lord Zuti's mention of ill omens and death, Braston's thoughts turn to a morbid sort. Death might not be something to fear anymore, thinks the mage, absentmindedly scratching his chin. When the elder mentions the burning desire of man, however, the mage bites his lip. He remembered what it was to have passion. Ambition. A thirst for success. Perhaps this mission wasn't a death sentence. Maybe, just maybe, it would be the spark needed to rekindle Braston's lost love of life, magic, and knowledge.

After Lord Zuti finishes his speech, Braston voices his concerns. "Lord Zuti, how many have you sent before us? How many have failed on the very path we are about to tread? Do you truly believe that we have any chance of succeeding in the wake of their failure?" The mage's tone is not combatative, but muted and somber.

wuwuwu
2011-07-18, 04:11 PM
Lord Zuti becomes distracted by his manicured nails for a moment as he casually tells you "Two-hundred and ninety-seven have gone before you. Never before have I sent a party of more or less than three, however. Two-hundred and ninety seven have died on their journey. Despite it being an ill omen, perhaps the change in number represents a change in fate?"

At this, he looks directly into your eyes, the look of gentleness now replaced with utmost seriousness.

"Do not make the mistake that it is my belief that determines whether you live or die. It is your belief in yourself and your comrades that will allow you to succeed. Unity is key."

He looks back to his finger nails, his eyes regaining their gentle gaze.

Kliv
2011-07-18, 06:33 PM
Renshi (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=313337)

Renshi shakes his head at the mage's question. A chance of redemption and restoration, no matter how miniscule, is worth the risk! Did the mage not feel the same emptiness gnawing inside that haunted Renshi?

The emptiness has been a constant echo of guilt in the months immediately following Renshi's severance. Only recently had he learned to push the echo to the back of his mind so that his day to day life might at least continue with some hint of normalcy.

Renshi bows low before Lord Zuti.

"Most Venerable Lord Zuti, surely the Esteemed Celestial Spider would not restore our threads for simply the act of completing the journey. Is there some offering or atonement we must make to be reconnected?"

wuwuwu
2011-07-18, 08:26 PM
Lord Zuti meets the bow, and bends over to pick up a handful of sand, letting some fall through his fingers as he gets lost in thought. After a few moments of contemplating your question, he blows the remaining sand away.

"I know Zizu only casually, and have not spoken with it in many years. I know not what he requires these days, but he will generally ask. Ask a question, ask a favor, I do not know what he will ask, only that he will. I am sorry I cannot be of more help in that department."

His eyes glass over for a moment as his brow furrows, deep in thought. Snapping out of it, he snaps his fingers and points at Renshi.

"Don't agree to do anything for any spiders unless you can see the ocean."

Tacitus
2011-07-18, 10:09 PM
Adam Young

The boy's eyes flicker as he follows after the old man, knowing that gazing upon something of such power will no doubt overwhelm him within moments. He seeks to see this strange protection the old man speaks of, to see how the Strands of his fellows may have changed or what other mark may now be laid upon them.

At the mention of the precise number of others that have gone before them, Adam almost blurts out a rather rude comment that would relate to the man's age, but stifles it in favor of some mathematics, "Then this is a milestone, the centennial, the one hundredth trek towards salvation. It is either fate, or coincidence, that such an ill omen should fall in line with this marker."

Spell-like Ability that duplicates Detect Magic, as I think that was mentioned that it sees Strands and the like, and if this should also be seen, well, I'm looking. Can't look at himself very easily, but, well, there ya go.

...very nearly said 'I flick on my mage sight', because I've been playing waaaaay too much MtAw lately.

wuwuwu
2011-07-18, 10:56 PM
Looking at your compatriots with your magical sight you notice that not only is there a shining sunflower that seems clearer and more vivid than anything you've ever seen before obscuring their faces, there are also a number of smaller sunflower buds growing along the Severed Strands.

"Your math is indeed correct. For one hundred years I have sent people from this island to their deaths," Lord Zitu remarks with an air of sadness.

"If it is fate, then your quest will be easy for you. Fate will force you to go according to it's plan. If it is coincidence, it is through hard work and mettle that you will succeed. Which would you prefer it to be?"

With that last question, he eyes you up and down carefully. You feel as if he is seeing not you, but some abstract part of yourself. It feels as if he is directly inspecting your character, if that were possible.

AtS
2011-07-18, 11:20 PM
Braston

Braston barely avoids flinching at the Master's close scrutiny. His words strike something deep within the young mage.

"So, if we're to succeed, we're to rely on ourselves; nothing more, nothing less," he ponders.

It seems the tallest one also has a good head on his shoulders. Braston takes note of both Adam's quick deduction and his careful choice of words.

HempRope
2011-07-19, 11:59 AM
Sorry to keep you…

Raun

Though Raun can sense dread emanating from the crowd all around him, when his name is announced he feels unadulterated relief, followed hard on its heels by joy. His chance has come. Turning, he embraces the family whose fields he has worked for the last six years, and then lets go, allowing himself to be swept up in the human tide pushing him forward.

"My house is yours!" he calls over his shoulder. "Find something good to do with it!"

Standing in front of the giant, Raun begins to feel less at ease. He glances at the three others -- all men, dressed for travel, and two of them rather larger than he. Raun hopes they will all be competent once the group reaches the mainland.

Walking through the tower, Raun looks about him in awe, admiring the murals and hunting through his memory for the events etched on the walls around him. Some are obvious; few others can the one-time monk place, never having been a strong student of book-learning. His heart lurches oddly when his eyes fall on the founding of Dauba.

Raun does not speak until the little group reaches Zuti's chamber. Entering the room with a deep bow, Raun is immediately surprised by the Master's youthfulness -- though if one has lived so long, what is the difference between thirty solstices and eighty?

Raun's worries lessen when the powerful Shugenja begins speaking. He smiles as he comes to understand how the four of them were selected.

We are chosen because our Strands have begun to re-form! I am on the right path! My success, then, has been internal and not from my outward actions. A good lesson.

"Thank you, Lord," Raun whispers as Zuti's lips leave a blossoming of light on his forehead.

A... a sunflower? A good omen, for their faces are always turned toward the light.

As the others query the Shugenja about their task, Raun is content to stay quiet. They seem to have good, quick minds; this will be an asset as they go south.

"In the darkest of times, the brightest of mankind prosper!" I will remember that.

"My Lord Zuti," Raun begins, speaking loudly for the first time. "The others... you say two hundred and ninety-seven have failed... do none still struggle on? Three left only a year ago -- their lives, too, have already been extinguished?"

wuwuwu
2011-07-19, 02:24 PM
"My mark on the last group ceases to exist today. If they are not yet dead, they will be brought back here, bearing the shame of failure. Nobody has ever returned from this quest, so it can be assumed each party fell to one of three fates."

He begins to list them off, holding up a number of fingers to correspond with each fate.

"One. They were killed. By monsters, by people, who knows?", he ends this fate with a shrug.

"Two. They escaped. When the mark's magic wore off, they went into hiding, and were never found. A difficult, but possible thing."

"Three. They were overcome with grief at their failure, and killed themselves, not wanting to repeat the capture and exile."

"There also comes to mind a fourth fate. That the groups did make it to Zizu, but were unable to return for some reason. You may have heard this rumor in the village. I do not believe it myself, for if they were strong enough to make it to Zizu, they would be strong enough to make it back."

His face darkens to a frown for a moment as he looks down at his patterns in the sand. When he looks back up, his expression is once again calm.

"Unlikely, but still possible."

HempRope
2011-07-19, 03:21 PM
Raun

"Hopefully we will find a fifth fate," says Raun.

And perhaps be a beacon for the next three hundred souls.

He lapses into silence for a moment, and then ventures another question, the softness of his voice suggesting some hesitation.

"My Lord," Raun says, "Until we four were announced this afternoon I had not thought to ask, but why, for the last century, have there always been three of us -- not two and not four -- sent to the mainland each spring?"

wuwuwu
2011-07-19, 07:39 PM
"I hope you do as well. Perhaps this will be the year all my effort here will pay off..."

He trails off at the end, almost absent-mindedly, as if he's distracted by some other thought. When Raun asks his question, he snaps his head to look over, looking slightly confused for a moment before settling down to his normal self.

"Because three have been chosen every year - besides this year. I like to think it's because three is the perfect number. Three is all you need to represent a person: body, mind, and soul. It's very poetic, if you ask me."

HempRope
2011-07-19, 11:56 PM
Raun

What was that? He had been so serene... Interesting, though. Three things in balance.

AtS
2011-07-20, 12:38 AM
Braston

Braston narrows his eyes at Lord Zuti's words.

So, they really DID all die, the mage thinks to himself. However, his thoughts are interrupted by Raun's query and Lord Zuti's unsettled response.

"So, if the sacred three represents a person, what does our four represent? A man possessed? A beast? An abomination? A demon? What do you call a man with a body, a mind, a soul, and something... extra?" Braston's eyes widen when he realizes that he had been thinking aloud. "Don't mind my words, my lord. I know not of what I speak."

The mage bows his head in apology, tucking his hands into his sleeves. He continues to turn his questions over in his mind.

wuwuwu
2011-07-20, 09:55 PM
"Who knows? Perhaps it is just a two-headed man? Maybe it isn't even symbolic. Symbols don't have to be symbolic."

Lord Zuti shrugs, letting the words sink into everyone's minds.

After waiting a few moments in silence, he speaks up.

"Well, if nobody has any more questions, Makpu Fesui will show you to the docks. Just remember that it is your own will that will shape your destiny. You must have the strength to succeed! I will not wish you good luck on your journey, luck will be the smallest part of it."

"You must completely believe in your own ability! Now go! Become the first to reconnect with Heaven!"

He speaks passionately, accenting his words with precise hand gestures. You can tell he is entirely devoted to the philosophy he has been describing to you. His gaze burns into the back of your head as you exit the room, where Makpu Fesui greets you. The sheep is no longer there.

"Taken by a gargoyle to be prepared as dinner", he explains as you walk back through the tower.

As you exit the tower, you find you cannot form a mental image of Lord Zuti's appearance at all. The only aspects you can remember are the kindness of his eyes and the precision of his movements. Odd, but not the strangest thing you've experienced.

The walk to the docks was short. The hidden path leading to them from the tower was well-maintained and guarded by green-glass giants, similar to Makpu Fesui but of much fiercer design. While his face was carved to be jovial and welcoming, theirs were sharp and fierce, often depicted with fangs and snarling faces.

"I was made to keep the villagers happy, and to deliver messages to and from Lord Zuti, so I had to look more... pleasant. They are to scare off intruders, and prevent the Severed from trying to escape."

At the docks was the same huge ferry that brought you to the island, guarded by more of the giants and dozens of humans bearing the sunflower banner of the Shangrukoi Zanshi.

As you approach, a man in lamellar armor moves away from the boarding ramp to meet you. He's taller as Raun and Renshi, but shorter than Adam and Braston, and his well-muscled arms and practiced stance reveal a powerful individual. His eyes narrow as he looks over your group, but his other facial features are obscured and his speech muffled by his mask and helmet.

"Four? Makpu, who is this fourth one? Get him outta here!", he demands, his paranoid tone reminiscent of one of the Hermits on the island, Tainai.

Your giant guide gently explains to him, but his eyes remain narrow.

"You're lucky you got such a trustworthy face, Makpu. Nobody else woulda convinced me. Come with me you four. We gottanother load of Severed coming in and I don't want them idling on the mainland too long."

From there, the guards hurry you onto the ferry as Makpu wished you good-bye and good luck. The trip across the ocean was rough, but uneventful.

"Impossible to swim these waters. If the waves don't getcha, the beasts will", the leader proudly states to you, pointing out various dark shadows under the waves.

If anybody asks his name over the trip, he refuses, stating "It's best if we keep this relationship strictly to business. You gain nothin' from knowin' my name, I gain nothin' from knowin' yours.". Any further pressing, or pointing out how rude he is only gets a grunt or a whistle as he smiles, keeping his gaze out over the ocean

At the mainland, there is a small crowd of about a dozen Severed, guarded by more than three dozen soldiers.

"Get outta here, you guys! You gotta journey to do, don't you?", he shouts as you shoos you off the boat. When you're away from the ramp, he turns back and begins yelling at the Severed to get on the boat, nice and orderly.

One of the Severed attempt to make a break for it as they're herded onto the boat prompting the commander to pinch his brow and expertly throw a club, knocking the would-be escapee out cold and allowing a pair of guards to drag him onto the boat.

Two guards apologize for the scene and escort you into the town. They leave you at the town square, a bustling market place of exotic noises, smells, and people all moving in different directions. Men in stalls shout at passerby, attempting to hawk their wares, women in revealing dresses attempt to convince men into dark alleyways and street performers dance, juggle, and sing for whatever coins people can spare. A few drunks stumble out of taverns and yell insults at everyone around them before puking, passing out, or getting knocked out.

"You're on your own now, you guys. Good luck.", one of the guards say, looking at the ground and avoiding eye contact, before walking off.

Kliv
2011-07-21, 07:15 AM

The sea obviously did not agree with Renshi. Within a few moments of being on open water, he turned a sickly green and spent the remainder of the voyage miserably puking over the rail and praying to all the sea gods he could recall.

The color in his face returned a few hours after being on dry land and his spirit was immediately buoyed to be in civilization again.

Renshi turns to his new traveling companions, "My illustrious colleagues, I for one do not intend to walk the entire way south. I believe I have enough coin for a horse if I can find a pliable merchant. Also, a port town like this is bound to be the starting point for trade convoys. If one of them were headed our direction, we would be much safer in their company than alone. What do you think?"

Knowledge (Streetwise) = [roll0] to find a horse trader

HempRope
2011-07-21, 02:23 PM
Raun

Raun felt bad for Renshii -- the trips to and from the island were the only times he had truly been at sea, but the motion didn't bother him too much. Perhaps it had something to do with having sailed a small boat on the lake as a child. Probably not.

"If you take deep breaths and focus on something inside the boat, it should help," he advised the retching figure.

[br]
"Let's get a good meal and then see about those horses," Raun suggests. "Do you know a good stable? We can see about caravans but they make not be keen to take us. Can you all handle yourselves on the road?"

AtS
2011-07-21, 02:32 PM
Braston

Braston, taciturn after the developments in Lord Zuti's palace, spends the entire voyage at the railing, staring into the sky. Occasionally the mage nibbles on a nail - he's running the events in the tower over and over again in his mind.

Can I trust these men? Can I trust myself?

---

Upon the arrival in the town square, Braston listens intently to Renshi's words. He nods in agreement with the rogue. "I agree that finding horses is a good first venture. However, it is imperative that we ration our funds wisely - we've no friends here, among the Connected." the mage says, crossing his arms over his chest. "There's a chance I may be able to assist in the 'pliability' of any merchants we find... At times, my words can be quite convincing."

At Renshi's second recommendation, however, Braston balks. "I believe that we should make ourselves as little known as we can. We cannot be sure that anyone else besides the four of us will be tight-lipped about our condition." His voice drops to a whisper as he takes a step closer into the circle of companions. "And don't be naive enough to think that they can't tell." Braston glances about the bustling town square, eyes narrowed in suspicion. "Lord Zuti's magic prevents arcane detection, but we're still ultimately dead inside, and any normal person can just sense that, with prolonged enough contact. Contact that is inevitable among traveling companions in a caravan."

The mage shivers as he speaks the word "dead". After finishing his piece, he waits for the rest of the group to reply.

In response to Raun's question, Braston replies, "While I may not be as capable in combat as the lot of you, I have a number of illusions and enchantments at my disposal. And as to your suggestion for meals, I suppose we could find something to eat before anything else." The mage presses his hand against his stomach.

Braston may be unnecessarily paranoid, and his interpretation of events may not even be true, but that's how he thinks. To him, the Severed are marked with an almost physical manifestation of the malady, regardless of if they actually are or not. He thinks that you can see the dead look in their eyes.

He's also worried about words of their release from the island getting out to his master. He doesn't want any more foes chasing them than need be.

However, he does want to help with the purchase of horses - he's planning on using a concealed Charm Person on whichever merchant the group decides to buy from in order to facilitate the haggling process.

Kliv
2011-07-21, 05:34 PM

Renshi considers Braston's logic. "I honestly hadn't considered that. Now that I think further, though caravans are often well-armed, they are also large targets for banditry and the like."

Renshi slaps Braston on the shoulder, ""I'm convinced! No caravans."

"As far as combat goes, the quickest way to defeat is a fair fight. Standing toe to toe and slugging it out is not my style in the least. Get in quick, make the other guy bleed a bit, and get out quicker."

Renshi tosses a thumb over his shoulder toward the warf, "Let me go see if I can get some recommendations on an affordable and discrete inn. I imagine we may be here a day or so as we gather supplies and form a travel plan."

He hollers back before he gets too far away, "I'll ask about horses, too!"

Gather Info = [roll0] - Find an Inn

Tacitus
2011-07-21, 05:52 PM
Adam

Time spent on a boat is not kind to the tall man, but he hides it well and is able to keep the sparse contents of his stomach right where they are. Indeed, he actually hides his ills fairly well, and spends the majority of the trip looking out over the water, or more precisely above the water. Looking at the water would probably only make it worse.

~~~~~

At the mention of horses, Adam chuckles to himself, "A horse would be nice, and if you'd rather I can pay our way. I've retained quite a few baubles from my time on the mainland, and have hidden quite a few coins. As for food, I've been living mainly on these for years now." At that, he slips open a small pouch at his side and extracts what looks to be a thin but hearty bread. The pouch didn't seem to contain anything until he reached for it, and again seems to be empty, even to repeated openings. He smiles, "I'm ready for a grand feast, myself. Indulge a bit, now that we're back among the living, as it were."

He gestures out to the crowd, and as he does so his eyes flicker for a moment as he seeks any magical auras and, more importantly, to examine the Strands of those about. He didn't expect to find any Severed in plain sight so close to the docks of the island, but some are just cunning, brash, or stupid enough to try it.

wuwuwu
2011-07-21, 06:45 PM
Renshi
You ask around for an inn. Most of the people you ask recommend "The Horspy Tavern", which is conveniently near the horse stables. Inconveniently, it is across town. After navigating the streets for about an hour, the inn you find offers rooms for 3 silver a night. It also seems to be named "The Horse Pie Tavern". Rooms have 2 beds each. The bottom floor appears to be a tavern, filled with seedy looking people that eye you greedily as you inquire about the prices.
Contrary to the name, the smell isn't too bad inside.

Adam

Eying the crowds around you, you see hundreds of stands, stretching to the clouds and beyond, as well as your companions' sunflower strands. There are too many of them to pick out any individuals lacking them.
You also notice a few minor magical items in some of the stalls. Among them you detect 3 abjuration enchantments, 2 illusion enchantments, 1 conjuration enchantment, and 3 evocation enchantments. You can't tell what the rest are. You also notice some very faint abjuration magic above the doorways of some public buildings.

HempRope
2011-07-21, 08:08 PM
Raun

"So we'll travel on our own. Fine," Raun affirms. "Besides horses and rations, what do we need? If there aren't other chores to attend to I'd just as soon go with you, Renshi, if you don't mind."

AtS
2011-07-21, 08:47 PM
Braston

"I don't believe there's anything else that needs done before we turn in for the night. If the two of you don't mind, though, I would like to stay here and wait in the square until you've found a suitable living space. There's no reason for all of us to be running about the town looking for a place to stay. In fact, that might even attract attention."

He watches as Renshi and Raun move out to find an inn. Once he's certain they're out of earshot, he turns to Adam.

"Sir Young, was it?" he inquires of the man. "I couldn't help but to notice your knack for shaping soulmelds. I, on the other hand, am still a novice. If you find the time, could you be obliged to teach me what you know of Incarnum? I'm afraid my five years on the island have dulled my abilities somewhat - not that I was ever very impressive to begin with."

Braston bites his lip and then continues. "I'm somewhat of an artificial meldshaper anyways," he says grimly, pointing to his severed Strand.

Kliv
2011-07-21, 08:48 PM

Renshi nodded at Raun, "Of course, I'd be pleased to have your company."

Together they walked toward the wharf where a group of longshoremen sat under a sliver of shade provided by a pile of cargo crates. They mopped their faces with dirty rags before drenching the same rags in water from a canteen and tying it back around their neck. Their baudy laughter carried easily down the warf.

As they approached the men, Renshi whispered to Raun, "Follow my lead."

When within earshot of the men, Renshi slapped Raun hard on the back and bellowed, "So we tossed tha lazy bum right o're tha rail! KER-SPLOOSH!! You shoulda seen the look on his pasty, fat face as he hit the water! The cap'n ne're took academians on board withou' full payment up front after that, ya can be doubly sure!"

Renshi laughed haughtily again and drew to a halt in front of the men, "Why if ya tallied up his entire lifetime ah labor, I betcha it din't equal ONE hour of work done by any one of these men!"

Renshi smiles broadly at the biggest longshoreman and says "The world entire'd starve ta death in a week without the muscle of these, and what thanks do they get? Low pay and long hours, ya can be sure"

"Speakin' ah low pay an' long hours, where abouts can a weary crewman grab a mug of grog, a bowl of stew, and a bed without fleas? And perhaps it'd be somewhere off tha' main trails so as not to draw too much attention from more respectable folks"

As he speaks, Renshi rolls a silver coin deftly back and forth over the back of his knuckles.

Bluff - 1d20+12 - We're just ordinary ship crew, too

wuwuwu
2011-07-21, 11:22 PM
"Well," the largest one begins in a voice reminiscent of a mud-man gargling gravel, "Sailors stay free at th' Fo'c'sle right down over thar," he says, pointing at a building some 200 feet down the docks, "just tell Marty what boat yar on and 'e'll hand yar a key."

"Nobod' but sailors n' crooks ever go to th' docks, so it's as outter th' way as yar kin get, if'n yar don't mind th' chance o' missin' some things in tha mornin'."

"'Course, yar seem like a nice enough feller, an' we know most of th' crooks down 'ere. If anythin's missin' when yar wake up," he claps your shoulder, "You come right back over 'ere an' tell old Ringo, me an' th' boys'll clear it right up."

A small, rat-like man with a black eye seems to have overheard the conversation and approaches the gathering. His voice is nasally, with a slight whimper to it.

"You don't wanna sleep at the Fo'c'sle, milords! It's free, yea, yea, but you'll 'ave yer throat slit! Not to mention the damn place gets raided by th' old Shangrukoi Zanshi every other DAY," he emphasizes his point by throwing his hands, palms up, out in front of him and staring at you with his mouth agape, "'cause they 'arbor Severed like nobodies biznis, they do! Them're the ones what do the slittin', the beasties."

At this, Ringo throws a bottle at the man, causing him to flinch as if somebody threw a boulder.

"'Ey, 'ey! We 'ad enough of yar crud, Whinger! Don't yar come around these docks talkin' about th' Severed like they ain't human! You know me brother was one o' those unfortunates, and I'll not 'ave anyone talkin' about him like that! Now get off with you before we give you another black eye!"

Whinger mumbles something as he scampers away. Ringo throws another bottle at him, hitting him in the leg.

"Don't lissen to 'im, boys. 'E's a bit of an annoyance 'round 'ere, nobod' likes him much. 'E whinges far too much, an' he don't seem to realize many a fine sailor 'as gotten Severed, don't make 'em no worse of a person."

Kliv
2011-07-22, 07:44 AM

Renshi is angered by Whinger's blatant and unfounded bigotry against the Severed. It was people like Whinger that fed Renshi's constant fear and anxiety in the months after his Thread was cut before he was exiled to Lord Zuti's island. His eyes narrowed menacingly at the rat of a man and he consciously suppressed the urge to throttle him where he stood.

"Naw, not a bit worse'uva person an' might be a bit better. Me first mate many years ago was Severed, gods preserve his soul. One of tha best men I ever knowed, not that it mattered to tha Shangrukoi."

Renshi turns his head to watch Whinger scurrying down the dock thinking about relieving the world of such scum. Pray we don't meet again for it will be the last meeting you ever have, he thought.

"Tha Fo'c'sle sounds decent enough for my liking, but me ship's got some passengers seekin' lodging, too, and the Fo'c'sle might have a bit too much.... character... for their likes, if ya know what I mean. They're not swimmin' in coin, mind ya, but if ya know of a place that'd suit em, I'd thank ye."

HempRope
2011-07-22, 11:15 AM
Raun

Raun does his best to play along with Renshi's ruse, forcing a loud laugh and slouching as much as possible, but he's about as comfortable pretending to be a sailor as the men on the wharf would be at a dinner with Lord Zuti. His robe and the seven javelins strapped across his back probably don't help the effort, either.

The unease Raun feels in the dockyard only mounts as their conversation draws longer -- why does this have to take so long?! -- but he doesn't get truly uncomfortable until the other man shows up.

Glad he's gone now, but who knows where he's gone off to... it's time for us to get going now, too. And not to the "Foxle," whatever that is!

He tries to give Renshi a glance that will convey Raun's urgency, but the other man is still trying to pump the deckhands for something useful.

And this Ringo fellow, as well... Not sure we should take his second suggestion, either.

wuwuwu
2011-07-22, 12:46 PM
Ringo looks a bit perturbed.

"Well, th' Fo'c'sle is as cheap as yar can get..."

At first it seems like he's going to keep pushing for you to stay at the Fo'c'sle, but a sudden realization dawns on his face. With a lopsided grin and a wink he chuckles.

"Ahhh, passengers, right, right! Yar won't be doing much sleepin' tonight anyways, will ya? Well, if'n yar passengers," he gives another knowing wink, "want a li'l bit o' privacy, yar bes' bet'll be The Horse Pie Tavern! Don't let the name foolya, it's as good a place as any. An' outta the way. Th' people look a bit shady at firs', but they're just poorfolk, they won't do yar no harm. It's right on th' edge of town at the horse stables, too, so if yar 'passengers'' mates," he chuckles at what he must find to be a clever way of wording things, "happen upon yar, yar can make a good run outta town!"

Ringo looks around at his boys with a huge grin on his face, and they all erupt into laughter.

Kliv
2011-07-22, 09:26 PM

Renshi laughs with them and tosses Ringo a silver piece, "Thank ya kindly, mate! Buy the first round o' grog on me tonight."

He punches Raun playfully in the arm, "C'mon, 's go tell tha passengers tha good news!"

As they leave earshot of the longshoremen, Renshi's voice resumes its usual flowing lilt, "My apologies, Master Raun, if that made you uncomfortable. I would have warned you of the plan had I time, but the opportunity presented itself rather suddenly. Let's scout out our accommodations and reserve rooms before the evening rush."

Renshi moves through the crowd with practiced ease. The bustle of the city clearly rejuvenated him. He stopped at a street cart selling fruit, bragged zealously about the quality of the vendor's produce, and purchased himself and Raun an apple. He crunches into the juicy apple and asks the vendor, almost as an afterthought, for directions to the Horse Pie Tavern. The directions were a bit more thorough than Ringo's but seemed to correlate.

They continue their walk to the opposite end of the city.

"Tell me, Master Raun, what school of martial arts did you study at?"

HempRope
2011-07-22, 10:27 PM
Raun

Raun forces a smile and walks off with Renshi.

"It's alright, mostly," he says to his new companion. "I was just afraid that I'd blow our cover! And then I didn't like that sailor, Ringo. I know people pretty well, and I got the feeling he didn't have the purest motives sending us to that Fox Isle place. I hope the Horse Pie place turns out to be reputable... perhaps we should ask a few other fellows as well?"

The former monk calms down quickly once he's out of character, soon back to his usual gliding stride.

"We're lucky he mistook your line about passengers!" he laughs. "Probably got the perfect place 'cause he thought we were out whoring!"

Raun is eager to get to know Renshi, but pauses at the man's first question. He hadn't been asked in some time, and was no longer sure with how much he should answer. Particularly considering their current relationship.

"I am no 'Master' of yours, comrade Renshi, but I was proud to have studied at the venerable Temple of Dauba," he says, voice dropping a shade. "It is near Hifaen. You may know our Philosophy as the Path of Two Hands. The school of the martial art, as you said. I lived there from the age of sixteen until six years ago, when my Str-- when I moved to your town."

I'll have to watch my tongue here!

"My techniques have changed somewhat, though, since leaving my Temple," he adds.

"What about yourself, where do you hail from?"

AtS
2011-07-23, 01:04 AM
Braston and Adam

The two magic users move to the most secluded spot in the town square they can find, in order to continue their conversation somewhere relatively private.

They stop under a tree at the edge of the square, on the other side of the line of stalls and displays that the various merchants and traders had set up.

"Look, I don't know what you're expecting of me. I'm not a verified master of the art, so to speak, so I can only tell you what I've managed to figure out myself. Besides, weren't you the one who studied under an archmage?" Adam says to Braston, his voice lowered.

Braston shakes his head. "I studied under Kiern, yes, but all we did was research how to utilize the Strands as a conduit for Incarnum energy. I may be presuming too much, but you gained your abilities in a more natural manner, am I not correct?"

The hustle of the square almost eclipses Adam's quiet reply. "I really... really... don't want to talk about it. All you need to know is that my abilites are tied to my emotions. When I'm angry, that's when I'm at my peak condition." He gives the mage a cockeyed glance and returns to a normal speaking level. "You should think about not being so reserved all the time. You'll find much more power within yourself that way."

Braston nods his head thoughtfully. "Well, I suppose this is enough conversation for now. I've just never known another person besides me and my master who knew anything about the manipulation of soul energy."

Braston and Adam return back to the center of the square, sit on a bench and make safe, idle talk until their two companions return.

Kliv
2011-07-23, 08:05 AM

"Ah, pardon me. I had assumed 'master' was the correct title for someone of advanced rank from a martial school such as..."

Renshi catches himself and sighs, shakes his head and chides himself silently, Raun is not a mark to be manipulated and exploited. He at least deserves some honesty, if you can remember what that is.

"It is an old habit of mine. You see, men thrive on order and hierarchy. Addressing a man by title is more than protocol. It's a show of respect and an immediate acknowledgment of his place in the world relative to others. Few things stroke a man's ego as quickly and effectively as a title."

He brightens slightly, "But there is no room for titles for true camaraderie, as you put it, to exist between friends! Let us dispense with titles!"

Renshi smiles genuinely at Raun.

"The Path of Two Hands, you say? I can't say I'm familiar with that school." He points to the weaponry strapped to Raun. "I assume it does not focus only upon unarmed combat? Is it a religious order, by chance?"

"As for myself, I called Honda home for many years since my youth. Second biggest city in the nation, you know." He makes a broad gesture sweeping his arm over their surroundings. "By comparison, most in Honda would think this port a sleepy country village!"

He chuckles to himself.

"Though I'm not merchant-born myself, I was fairly well connected and respected among the merchant class there. My employment by one of the richest men in the city certainly helped that connection, no doubt."

HempRope
2011-07-24, 04:42 PM
Raun

Doesn't sound like he called me 'Master' so much out of respect as to flatter me.

Raun is clearly a little surprised by Renshi's explanation, but laughs good-naturedly enough.

"I see I'll have to be taking your words with a grain of salt," he says. "The Path of Two Hands is an entire Philosophy, a way to understand the world and for me was a way of life. It's not called that because we learn to use our fists, though that too -- and, yes, some other simple weapons."

He parts his robe to indicate the kamas and nunchakus at his waist.

"The school teaches us to see balance in the opposed forces that make up the world. In combat, we affect how our opponents are balanced -- or unbalanced -- but more than that, the Philosophy is about what balances we can shift and which we should not.

"But I'm waxing rather arcane. A religious order it is not, but the differences aren't obvious."

I haven't gotten any better at this.

"So, Honda... I've heard of it, of course, but never been there -- you don't travel a lot when you're bound by a vow to stay in one town all your life! And I grew up in Konaesh, a few days from here. In what capacity did you serve this ever-so-rich man?"

Kliv
2011-07-25, 10:40 PM

Renshi nods, "The balance, as you call it, is a fairly common concept in various religious circles. Other than the literal interpretation of "stay on your feet", I'm afraid I don't immediately see its application to combat. I suppose that's why people build monasteries and schools devoted to that study."

"I served the Eccentric Fat Fu in many diverse capacities, though my most common niche was locating and acquiring objects for Fu's personal collection: art, weapons, relics, scrolls, jewels, animals... You name it and he probably had 2 of it already. The money he spent in a week on his whims and trinkets could feed a small village for a year!"

Renshi spots the faded and weather worn sign for the Horse Pie a few blocks up the road. "Ah, I believe I see our destination. It doesn't look half bad so far..."

wuwuwu
2011-07-25, 11:15 PM
As you approach the Horse Pie tavern, a group of drunks stumble out singing merrily. The noise emanating from the not impressively sized building implies a large and rowdy party.

Indeed, as you enter the building you are dowsed with ale from sloppily swung tankards on all sides, as drunken men dance and sing. A hearty bar-fight is in progress across the room, both participants roaring with laughter as they beat each other bloody and the barkeeper watches with a huge grin. A man in a military officer's uniform is waving a sword in the air to the cheers of a half dozen men.

A corner of the room has chairs set up in a semi-circle around a raised stage, where men toss coins at plump women singing vulgar and humorous songs as they undress. Several men in the section are slumped in their chairs or on the floor, snoring loudly.

You navigate through the room to the bar, and ask about rooms. He spits into a bucket, and shakes your hand.

"Welcome to the Horse Pie Tavern, masters! 3 silver a night and that gets you two beds AND", his tone of voice implies the addition is a big deal, "free drinks 'til midnight, and a meal in the morning! Can't beat these prices nowhere in town!"

If you inquire about the party

"Oh, this happens every few days. Whenever new Severed come through, the locals sell especially well to whoever brings 'em, so they spend that extra coin here. Don't worry about sleeping. Everyone's gone or unconscious by midnight."

If your inquire about the military officer

"Recruiting for something or other. Not Shangrukoi, he didn't have any sunflowers. Think he was for a nearby Shogun."

MEANWHILE, AT THE TOWN SQUARE:

A group of Shangrukoi Zanshi pass through and look around for a long while. When their gaze falls upon Adam and Braston, a group of women parade by hanging on the arms of well-dressed men. They are definitely looking for something, but they don't seem to find it.

Satisfied with their search, they move on.

AtS
2011-07-26, 06:57 PM
Braston

Braston grows stiff at the sight of the Shangrukoi Zanshi, but breathes a sigh of relief as they pass. "Master Zuti's magic, along with a fair bit of luck, seem to have kept us safe," he says, relaxing his shoulders.

The mage nevertheless crosses his arms and looks around worriedly. It's already been a couple of hours. Where could those two be? It won't be long before the Zanshi make another pass, and I doubt we'll have a gaggle of whores to hide us again then.

Kliv
2011-07-26, 10:14 PM

Renshi returns firmly the proprietor's handshake and begins speaking with a quick, clipped accent typical of merchant from the East.

"We require two rooms for tonight and possibly tomorrow night. There's an extra silver for you if one room is in the quiet end of the inn and if one room has a window." He glances at the brawl in the adjoining room, "Of course I realize quiet is a relative term."

Bluff [roll0] - An effective merchant accent
Diplomacy [roll1] - Bargaining for rooms

wuwuwu
2011-07-26, 10:44 PM
"Keep your silver, man. All our rooms have windows but the store room. As for quiet, I got some on the second floor, opposite end of the building. As far from this party as you can get. It should all quiet down by midnight, anyways. Most of the guys here have work tomorrow."

The innkeeper offers you two keys, labelled 13N and 13S.

"6 silver, then?"

Kliv
2011-07-26, 11:15 PM

"Six silvers then." Renshi fishes out the coins from his purse and exchanges them for the keys.

Turning to Raun he says, "I imagine our colleagues are beginning to wonder what evil has beset us. We better return to the docks."

wuwuwu
2011-07-27, 12:26 AM
With your business at the Horse Pie Tavern sorted out, you begin your journey back to the town square where Adam and Braston await.

About halfway through the trip, you pass within 50 feet of four Shangrukoi Zanshi, who seem to be looking for something.

Kliv
2011-07-27, 09:01 AM

Still looking straight ahead, Renshi lowers his voice and whispers to Raun, "There are four armed men following us. I don't believe they're interested in talking. Any ideas?"

Spot [roll0] - Looking at our general surroundings to see if there's anything that could be used as a distraction, cover, etc
Knowledge (Streetwise) [roll1] - If this goes to combat, Renshi doesn't want to be in the middle of the street for all to see. Maybe there's a deserted area we can maneuver toward.

wuwuwu
2011-07-27, 12:37 PM
There is a crowd of women escorting some rich-looking men through the streets that you believe you could hide in for a while.

You could duck into one of the buildings behind the crowd, too.

Nearby, there is an alleyway you could slip into, but it would be fairly obvious without a distraction.

A horse-drawn carriage is strolling past towards the Zanshi. If you hopped on the back, you could hide for a moment, but you would be very noticeable once you're past them.

No deserted areas come to mind, especially not ones you could easily get to.

HempRope
2011-07-28, 10:15 AM
Raun

...as close to Konaesh as I've been in ten years, and it would be good to see moth--

"Oh!" Raun says, his consciousness toppling suddenly from contemplation back into the Shangrukoi-populated streets. He starts looking around, doing his best not to be obvious that he's looking for something, too.

To find the men Renshi means and see if they have any identifying attributes: [roll0]
And find anywhere that they might hide: [roll1]

And what's the name of this town? I can't seem to find it in any earlier posts.
"I'd rather not give them a chance to make a move on us, if that's what they're looking to do," Raun says slowly. "And if we're going to lose them, our chances are better now than after we meet up with the others. How quick can you get into an alley and hide?"

He looks Renshi up and down.

"Or would you want to try and shake them in the crowds?"

AtS
2011-07-28, 11:33 AM
Braston

Braston's stomach rumbles. It's been a couple of hours since he had admitted his hunger and the lack of food was starting to get to the mage.

He grows more irritable and snippy as the long hours pass.

"Just... leave me alone. I need to think." He finds a secluded spot under a tree to wait out Raun and Renshi's return. A strange habit rears up, visible to anyone who watches him for more than a couple of seconds. Braston constantly runs his hands over the dirt, grass, and bark around him as he stares off into space, as if he were blindly searching for something.

And he is searching, of course, but not for a tangible object. Braston is trying to truly feel again, to warm up the nerves at the tips of his fingers, to touch something. Deep down, he's sick of the slightly numb sensation that beleaguers all of his senses. Of course, he doesn't even notice this unconscious tic, it's just something innocuous that occurs while the mage idles.

Have they abandoned us? I can't trust them, any of them, can I? How could I be such a fool - some kind words and poppycock from an elder mage and again, I'm off running to do his bidding... A pawn. That's all any of us amount to. Awful thoughts fill Braston's head as the sun dips closer to the horizon.

Tacitus
2011-08-01, 01:15 AM
Adam

If the man had yet learned anything in his stalking of elves, it was that humans had a nasty habit of not looking up unless they had serious reason to believe something was above them. A trained individual might glance up from time to time, but he was often the first to fall to elven arrows. In this vein, Adam has left Braston to his thoughts and decided to take residence on a roof somewhere for the time being, but close enough to watch the mage for the time being. As he waits he sips from a flask he takes from his pack and nibbles a bit on some hard bread from a pouch at his side. Nasty elf bread.

So, go into an alley or something and Spiderwalk up a wall and perch on a roof somewhere, if it seems he could keep himself hidden from the street but still see Braston if he needed to.

Though, if no buildings are suitable for hiding on top of, he'd rather be well hidden than have the best spot to watch Braston.

Uh, I'm not sure if I really need to make a hide check (or even if I can), but if you'd like one: [roll0]

wuwuwu
2011-08-01, 05:58 PM
Climbing up and finding a nice spot to hang out was easy. Most people were too busy with their own things to look down the alleyway as you effortlessly walked up the wall.

From your vantage point, you are fairly confident that nobody could see you without exerting some effort looking, and you can easily keep Braston in your sight.

Looking around a little bit, you see three groups of four Shangrukoi Zanshi (easily picked out by their large sunflower banners) patrolling around. Whatever they're looking for, they really want to find it.

Glancing away from the ocean, towards the edge of town (which looks considerably less busy), you think you see a shadow move surprisingly quick along the top of a roof.

-------

The sun is beginning to set in the sky, halfway submerged in the horizon. The orange light reflects off of the surface of the water, and merchants begin packing up their wares, only to be replaced by different merchants, selling less… appropriate wares.

If you thought the city was busy and unwholesome in the day, you have a feeling it's going to get only worse as the night goes on.

HempRope
2011-08-01, 06:34 PM
Raun

"...Let's do that," Raun says, speaking as he thinks and liking the idea of sliding off among other citizens more and more now that it has left his lips. "You ever done this before?!"

I don't mind waiting longer for Kliv, but I figured I'd go ahead and post my vote.

Tacitus
2011-08-01, 06:49 PM
Adam

The man studies the groups of Shangrukoi Zanshi as discreetly as he can from his vantage point, somewhat puzzled by three groups displaying only four members, when he had been certain most groups usually carried a fifth member. He glances about the crowds to find any others that might be tailing the groups or otherwise looking to be too interested in the three patrols to determine if they might have a fifth in the shadows.

He's tempted to investigate the figure on the rooftops, but so long as it doesn't seem to notice him or come any closer, he's content to leave whomever it is to their own devices.

Kliv
2011-08-02, 03:48 PM

Renshi follows closely behind Raun mixing into the crowd as seamlessly as possible. "Have I done this before? I practically invented it! Just relax and let yourself be carried by the flow of the crowd... if you force it you'll create a wake just like a ship in the sea!"

Hide - [roll0] - Don't know if Hide is appropriate here, but here it is just in case.

wuwuwu
2011-08-02, 04:43 PM
I hope you don't mind me writing the scene for losing them, guys.

Renshi and Raun nonchalantly walk a few feet forward before ducking behind a small crowd of people coming from an alleyway and swiftly moving down the street. Quickly, they push through another crowd and move into an alleyway. Walking briskly to the end, Renshi carefully peeks around the corner before gesturing to Raun that it's safe.

Seeing the banners of more Shangrukoi down the street, Raun points out a crowd that the two could move with, and the two streetwise Severed coolly integrate with the group.

Luckily, you are able to stick with the group all the way through town, arriving at the town square without being followed at all. You see Braston sitting alone under a tree to the side of the square, and Adam is nowhere in sight.

HempRope
2011-08-02, 05:46 PM
Oh, yeah, should have rolled a Hide check...

Raun

"Excellent," Raun says, grinning at Renshi. Looks like I might be able to work with this one.

Getting back to the square Raun spots Braston quickly, but Adam isn't with him.

Damn, where has he gone? We'd better hurry and get our heads down. Pray that the Shangrukoi haven't found him.

Raun glances around the square again, looking for either a sign of their missing companion or a menacing sunflower banner.

[roll0]

"Where's Adam?" are the first words out of Raun's mouth when he and Renshi reach Braston. "The Shangrukoi are out in force, and I'm not sure they're looking for us, but I'm damn sure that I don't want them to find us.

"And we think we found a place to stay," he adds.

---OR, if the spot finds Adam---

"What is Adam doing on that roof?!" Raun demands of Braston. "At least he's well-hidden, but the Shangrukoi are out in force, and I'm not sure they're looking for us, but I'm damn sure that I don't want them to find us.

"And we think we found a place to stay," he adds.

Tacitus
2011-08-02, 11:38 PM
Adam

As his traveling companions return he waits for a few moments to check if anyone is following them or watching where they shouldn't, and then if he doesn't notice anything out of the ordinary he'll head back to the alley and walk back down when no one is looking and then join the others. A smile is their greeting, "Took long enough," he then leans forward and lowers his tone, "get caught in a scrap to hold you up? Dump a body or two mayhaps?" He leans back and smirks, probably joking. Probably.

HempRope
2011-08-03, 02:03 AM
Raun

"I just asked Braston, but why were you up on the roof?! Raun hisses. "I'll give you that you were well-hidden, but as I hope you saw there are Shangrukoi everywhere and we want to do exactly the opposite of stand out.

"Renshi, you think we can still go to the Horse Pie? he asks.

"Don't mind the name, we visited."

Kliv
2011-08-03, 09:37 PM

Renshi shrugs, "Honestly, it seems a bit safer than the streets as of late. Still, I think we should do whatever we can to be out of the city in a day or two at the most. Let's talk more at the inn where we can at least have a little privacy and only one or two doors to watch."

AtS
2011-08-03, 09:49 PM
Braston

Raun's vocal return pulls Braston back up from the well of his thoughts. He coughs, wipes his mouth with his robe, and then answers. "Yes, we saw the group of Shangrukoi wandering about the town. They didn't notice us; be it from their own incompetence or a bit of luck on our part, I'm not sure." At Adam's return from the rooftops, Braston waves a hand dismissively. "He was simply obliging my request for a bit of solitude. I needed some time to gather my thoughts. Alone."

The mage feels uneasy. Things could have transpired much worse than they had. He hides his troubles, however, keeping an air of cool aloofness about him - the shroud he'd perfected long ago as a young, shunned child.

Braston glances at Adam as the warlock says his bit. "Truly, what did cause such a delay?" He seems almost angry at this point, but quickly regains his composure. "Surely you weren't partaking in the brand of debauchery for which Dendebugulu is known?" He lowers his brow into a stern gaze and stares the monk and the rogue down for a bit.

The mage isn't truly angry. He's merely putting on a show in his offense; Kiern had taught him years ago that it is much better for people to think a man pious than anything otherwise. They trust the pious ones, and from trust comes manipulation, an art all mages must master as thoroughly as magic itself, in order to survive.

If anyone is looking at his belt, it's surrounded by a very faint blue mist; practically imperceptible. It could be easily explained away as a trick of the light.

Bluff roll for Braston's act, after investing one essentia in the Lamia Belt for a +2 bonus. I'll keep this essentia there until otherwise noted.

[roll0]

Tacitus
2011-08-04, 01:14 AM
Adam smiles, both at the comments of his returned companions which he feels doesn't really require a response and the bluster of Braston. Oh, he doesn't know its bluster for certain, but the wisps of incarnum hanging about the mage were plenty to tip off an informed individual to the use of such talents. For a half moment his boots shimmer and the flames stitched into his not-entirely-real vest shift and move as though they were real, while the others attention is on Braston, of course. After a few moments he lets out a yawn, mostly forced, "Well then, off to the inn!"

HempRope
2011-08-06, 12:25 PM
Raun

Raun pauses a moment, trying to tell if Braston is serious. It was the sort of thing young monks would joke about in the months leading up to their vows.

"I won't take offense to that," he replies succinctly. "But we had to ask around quite a bit. It's a bit of a walk, and it took longer on the way back than the way over."

After Renshi's comment, Raun is very aware that their conversation could be heard by anyone passing, and keeps his explanation insubstantial.

"This way, then," he says, starting back the way he and Renshi had just arrived from. "Eyes open."

wuwuwu
2011-08-06, 01:49 PM
Deciding that it would be best to get out of the streets, the group moves on to the Horse Pie Tavern.

As the Severed walk through the town, though the sun is dropping below the horizon, the activity is increasing with every minute. Soon, the streets are nearly impossible to navigate as crowds of unimaginable size press from every which direction. At the mercy of the crowd, like a raft caught in the rapids, you're moved back and forth as the crowd surges in one direction, then the next.

Raun:

You see several groups of Shangrukoi on rooftops, obviously frustrated that they didn't find what they were looking for before the crowds came out in full force. You even recognize the group that followed you before being yelled at by the eldest one, though you can't make out the words over the din of the crowd.

Renshi is eventually able to find a less-crowded back alley way, and separated from the ocean of bodies, progress goes much quicker. A young boy scrambles away from the wall of what appears to be a clothing store, and if you investigate you see he had been painting the word "SEVER". It's obviously unfinished, you must have interrupted him.

At the Horse Pie Tavern, the party is going on as strong as ever, but there is a group of people discussing the latest gossip outside. As you pass by you manage to catch a bit of their conversation.

"The Shangrukoi didn't find any Severed, but they did catch Ringo and his boys getting rid of their latest victim."

If anybody listens more intently, they are able to catch some more:

"Yea, good they finally got him, but why'd they raid so soon after a ferry?"

"Apparently, some kids went missing and all the kid can do is cry about Severed. Nolan is all kinds of pissed off that it happened right under his nose. I'd hate to see what he does to the guy when they catch him…"

HempRope
2011-08-06, 10:21 PM
Raun

Raun's agitation is clear as the little group is put at the mercy of the human waves surging through Denbugulu's narrow streets. On top of the last five years in exile, he hasn't been in a real city since for more than a night since childhood. So he practically leaps through the door and into the Horse Pie.

"So let's sit down and put some food in our bellies, then we can think through things more thoroughly," Raun says.

"If you two can get a table, then Braston and I will stow our things in our rooms and relieve you," he continues, trusting some combination of Renshi's street-smarts and Adam's size to find a place for four.

Tacitus
2011-08-07, 04:48 AM
Adam

The larger man strides into the tavern, looking for a suitable table, hopefully out of the way where they might have at least a little more privacy than not. Failing that, a table with only one or two that look like he might be able to charm out of their seats, assuming four chairs, would be preferable. If the latter, he'll be turning away from any crowds to reveal his mask, and use its talents to grease the wheels, as it were, along with a few coin.

If I need to bribe someone out of their seats, I'll pay for any food they might have been eating or may want to eat (within reason), two rounds of drinks, and up to 10% more, rounded up to the nearest gold piece (as I have no silver or copper).

Diplomacy if needed: [roll0]

wuwuwu
2011-08-07, 05:13 PM
Although he's prepared to pay his way to get a table, the Tavern has room to accommodate everyone. He easily finds an empty table with four chairs in the back corner, although it's a little sticky from spilled drinks.

To say it was a quiet corner would be a bold-faced lie, but relative to the environment, it's about as good as you'll get.

Raun heads up to the rooms, finds the locks surprisingly sturdy, if a bit troublesome, as he struggles with the key a bit. Inside, the rooms are mostly bare, containing only the two advertised beds, a chest at the foot of each one, and a table with candles in between them.

HempRope
2011-08-07, 07:01 PM
Raun

Sort of automatically Raun hands Braston the other key, assuming that the group will split up as they had earlier in the day. In his room he picks a bed at random, heaves his pack onto the chest and tosses his cloak and weapons on the floor. Sitting down on the bed, he leans back against the wall and lets his mind wander. Taking a few minutes to stop thinking and allow his brain to make what associations it wants is important to him; a sort of meditation he has only tasted in the last five years.

After a moment, he sits up and moves to the floor where he crosses his legs for five minutes of 'real' meditation, going through the most basic Dauban exercises to restore some balance to his mind. Finished, he springs to his feet, settles his bandolier over his shoulder and belts on his other weapons -- leaving the javelins leaning in a corner. Defore going back downstairs he fishes a study, wood- and leather-bound book from his pack and stows it under his pillow.

"Thanks for getting a table," Raun says to Adam and Renshi as he pulls out a chair. "I'll stay here if you want to put your things away."

He looks about to see if someone from the bar is attending to tables or if he'll need to order food from the bar.

AtS
2011-08-08, 01:09 AM
Braston

While Raun is away, tending to the rooms, Braston hails the barmaid and asks her to bring a hog for the group to share - or the best available meat.

"This is a festival, is it not? Tell me you have some luxuries for some weary, but heavy-pocketed travelers such as ourselves." Braston smiles endearingly, flipping a gold piece onto the table.

He shooes the woman away, his business with her finished.

At Raun's return, he pockets the key, nodding as he does so. "So, my companions. We don't know much about each other, beyond our obvious outward similarities," he says, with a smirk. "How about we do the tired old 'round table introductions' thing in an attempt at normalcy?"

Tacitus
2011-08-08, 01:44 AM
Adam

As they sit saving the seats, the larger man laughs as Braston flicks a single gold coin onto the table, "An insult, dear sir. You couldn't get a sickly living pig for a single coin, and you want one of good health, properly slain, and well roasted to boot?" He smiles, obviously jesting, and tosses a few more gold coins onto the table.

He nods as Raun returns and smirks at Braston's suggestion, "I would think that the less you know about my particulars, the better off you will be. Not as a threat, of course, but many are quite a bit more than merely squeamish when I tend to describe my... former profession. The ears were taken from me when I was... waylaid, but I'd collected quite a few in my day. As you might have heard, my name is Adam Young, and if you caught what the old man called me then you know just about enough. As Braston has learned, I've talents with the various strange powers of this world not stemming from true magic. When we're not in a crowded tavern I'd be happy to show you some of my more unique talents."

AtS
2011-08-08, 11:50 AM
Braston

Braston nods at Adam's impressive display of wealth. "Apologies for my frugality. I've always found my coin purse to be rather tightly stringed."

He listens intently to the other mage's concise introduction, taking a swig from the tankard of water he had previously ordered. "Probably a wise choice, waiting until we're far away from this boisterous place, before really revealing our hands," he commends.

"I, myself, am a bit of a silvertongued charlatan, although it seems we've all got a bit of a sterling lining to our lips. Illusions and enchantments are my specialty." Braston's tone grows stern. "I'd appreciate a mum word on this, though. Word travels fast here, and I'd rather keep my level of renown on the low end. Fame, fortune, all that rot, just doesn't suit me." Again, the mage glances nervously around, unable to relax in any sort of proximity to other people.

HempRope
2011-08-08, 01:22 PM
Raun

"Well, at least it looks like we have enough gold to get a ways south," Raun says with a smile. He adds another gold to the little pile on the table.

"The four of us can afford a pig. You mind if I drink?" he asks Braston.

After slaking his thirst, he continues with his own introduction.

"As you know, I lived as a monk for some time, but left the monastery five years ago, when... I came up here. After studying at Dauba, I can fight. And also stick to the shadows.

"And I have a pretty good eye. The Shangrukoi were all over the rooftops, if you were thinking of going out again," he says to Adam.

AtS
2011-08-08, 01:30 PM
Braston

The mage sighs laboriously.

"Er - I am not one to restrict the actions of others, but the drink does nothing but cloud the mind and loosen the lips." He gestures to the raucous party around the four Severed. "Do as you will, though. You are a free-thinking man, after all."

Braston barely remembers to keep up his ploy of piety. In truth, the mage had downed many a tankard of ale in his five forlorn years on the island. However, he did think it best for he and his companions to keep their wits about them; there was no telling what sort of obstacles the future held.

HempRope
2011-08-08, 01:41 PM
Raun

Raun laughs.

"Don't worry, my friend, I just wanted some of that water, if I'm right thinking that's what you have. I don't drink."

wuwuwu
2011-08-08, 05:00 PM
The barmaid takes your order, heads into the kitchens and within moments returns with water for everyone.

"Yer hog will be done within a half hour, assumin' you don't mind one we put on the spit this mornin'. Otherwise it'll be a few more hours. Now, would milords be wishin' any alcohol or juices, today, or just the water and the hog to please ye? And if'n you wan't, I can send some young ladies yer way," she says with a wink, "But you'll have to buy 'em drinks, or at least fascinate 'em with tales o' yer travels, if you want them to stick around."

She's not offering prostitutes, by the way. She's offering to 'wingman' for you. Just wanted to make that clear :smallwink: This place is far more respectable than that.
I'll tell you straight up it's not a hook, it's just a scene-setting thing. Also, it'll fade-to-black if anything 'purple' happens.

AtS
2011-08-08, 05:18 PM
Braston

Braston thanks the barmaid and nods in affirmation. "Perhaps you would be kind enough to send us a lady or two; I, for one, am starved for conversation with the fairer sex."
He gestures at all of the men surrounding him.

As the barmaid scuttles off, the mage rebuffs the questioning glances of his comrades. "I'm simply being pragmatic. She looks like the talkative sort, and we wouldn't want to raise suspicion as 'the only group'a fine gents who'd never s'much as glanced at a pretty thang 'round these parts'." He mimics the barmaid's lazy drawl to a tee, then his tone suddenly grows very serious. "It ends at conversing, though. I will. Not. Abide. By. Any. Sort. Of. Lechery. In. My. Room." He punctuates each word in order to drive his point sharply home.

Braston's secret class? Professional C*CKBLOCK

Tacitus
2011-08-08, 06:07 PM
Adam

He laughs at Braston's comment about the rooms and then leans forward in a most conspiratorial manner, "My dear Braston, if I wanted lechery I wouldn't need to retire to one of the rooms. We've a perfectly serviceable table right here, and I'm sure if I so desired I could draw plenty of fun from a young lass with her sitting in my lap as we ate."

I counter your cockblock with... EXHIBITIONIST!

Kliv
2011-08-08, 08:57 PM

Renshi chuckles at Adam's crude joke as he leans back in his chair and props his feet up on the table. "My esteemed colleagues, there will be time for a lifetime of frivolity at the end of our journey. While I agree we need to blend in as much as possible, as any tailor will tell you, there's a fine line between blending and clashing."

Renshi raises an eyebrow at Braston's cloak but continues on, "So let's walk that line quickly and be out of this town as soon as possible. Now, as for transportation, I have a lead on horses that I will explore as soon as possible tomorrow. I'm something of an expert negotiator, so rest assured the best price will be had."

"That sort of wrangling will probably take half a day at least, so I will be unavailable. Could someone else locate a map of the area? I would normally suggest just hiring a guide, but I don't think that's an option here."

AtS
2011-08-08, 10:10 PM
Braston

"Bold, Adam. Exhilaratingly bold." Braston's voice drips with acidic condescension. Dutifully playing the part of the prude, he bites his lip and turns his attention to Renshi.

"That sounds serviceable, Renshi," Braston says, confirming his plans. "I suppose I and whoever else would care to join me," a dagger-like look juts in Adam's direction, "can search for a suitable map while you work your negotiatory magic."

Sharp wits. Fearlessness. Perhaps my earlier suppositions were misplaced. Braston slowly realizes that his companions are at least reliable, if not exactly trustworthy.

wuwuwu
2011-08-09, 01:07 PM
Two smiling young girls come over, a short, brown-eyed one with straight black hair resting upon her shoulders and a taller one with dark-brown cropped hair, and sparkling jade eyes - a very rare sight!

The shorter girl giggles as the jade-eyed one introduces herself.

"Hi, I'm Jade, and this," she points over at her friend, "is my sister Danshia. We heard you guys were looking for some girls to tell adventure stories to?" She giggles, looking at her sister who also begins giggling again, "But we'll settle for some hogs-meat if you're shy."

They pull over chairs and sit down.

AtS
2011-08-09, 02:23 PM
Braston

"Stories, say you?" Braston smiles, charmingly. "I might have a few trifles to tell."

"I once studied under a great alchemist. Yes, of course, he was, generally the 'boring, stuffy type' that you would expect; somewhat of a social reject, and all that rot. However, he had one weakness, one small crack in his nigh-impenetrable shell of aloofness: Mertoran Leaf. The man loved it, and was generally high for the majority of the time I studied under him."

Braston laughs, a light, high chuckle, with a very slight edge of coldness. A close, dedicated inspection would reveal that his mirth does not extend to his eyes, like a normal person's smile. However, the mage is very, very good at faking emotions.

"In general, nothing much came of this - he'd smoke his leaf, and suddenly be that much more enthusiastic about his work. Really, it was quite the boon, a welcome break to the endless hours of study and experimentation. However,"

Braston takes a sip of water, eyeing the two women carefully, before continuing.

"Once, I returned from a day of field study, to discover that the entirety of the inside and outside of our tower had been painted with inconceivable psychedelic murals. Swaths of color simply everywhere! He had depicted sunsets melding into seashores, reefs of colored butterflies morphing into beautiful birds - truly, it was quite the moving sight."

Braston rubs his chin fondly, looking up as if an image of his fabricated master hung above the heads of the group. "In the end, I found him, lying on his bed, eyes wide, hair windswept and tousled, covered from head to toe in paint. He offered a simple explanation. 'I saw the things. All the things.' I chuckled at his intoxicated profundities and helped him make his way to the bath."

The mage nods, a smirk on his face. "In the end, he hired a whole mess of commoners to whitewash the walls back to their stark neutral tones - he claimed the 'energetic' color schemes were distracting to the both of us in our research. I, for one, would have rather the murals stayed, but such is the ephemerality of art."

By the end of his story, it seems that Braston is giving the women his undivided attention, as a ploy for their favor. However, he keeps venturing surreptitious glances in Adam's direction - it's a challenge to the womanizer, and the rest of the party, for them to take the trophies that he currently holds in thrall.

It's a game, and Braston knows well how to play it.

He keeps the ball moving, however, and sends the conversation back at the women. "Your eyes, they're very striking. Green. The color of grass, acid, jewels... it reminds me of dragons, really. You don't see many people with eyes as beautiful and unique as yours, Jade. Two delicate beryl gems... Tell me, did your mother have eyes like yours?"

I'm not sure if I should roll a Bluff or a Diplomacy (well, I mean, Perform (Oratory) would be the best, but Braston doesn't have that skill.)

[roll0] bluff
[roll1] diplomacy

Tacitus
2011-08-10, 10:07 PM
Adam

The large man listens to Braston's tale with great interest, but also seems to be looking for the reactions of the two young women to see how his comrade's tale is going over with them. As the mage starts to go on about her eyes Adam stands and walks around behind Braston to lay a hand on his shoulder, "And that might just be the most cornball thing you've said today. Come now, you need to get settled into your room and stop monopolizing these young ladies' time. I'm sure our other two companions have a tale or two they'd like to tell, and by the time they've bored them half to death you can come back to save the day with more amusing anecdotes."

Assuming Braston comes along, he'll head up to the room, or at the very least out of sight of the two young ladies. He'll then discuss Jade's eyes...

If Braston refuses to come Adam will instead ask for the key, which he has, and then head up to the room to put his stuff away, tidying himself up for the ladies, and then come back down. However, he'll hang back and study their Strands if he can, trying to look inconspicuous as he does so.

Bluff check for Secret Message to Braston. If you can't get it from the above, the general gist is he'd like to have a word alone with Braston, or more simply, 'come with me'.

The DC is 15 for simple messages, which I think it is, but if its more complex a DC of 20 is the mark.

[roll0]

The above roll also sets the Sense Motive DC for anyone but Braston to intercept the message.

If Braston comes along, assuming he doesn't already know, he'll pass on the following information
People with Jade eyes have hard-to-detect Strands, possibly something to do with spirits or the spirit world. They can also, if properly trained, see Strands with a bit of focus.

AtS
2011-08-10, 10:43 PM
Braston

Braston's eyes flash with sudden realization. "Ah, yes. I have the key right here." He turns to the ladies. "Excuse me for a moment, my dears, while I go deposit my things in my room - it doesn't make much sense to leave my pack sitting on the floor here in the common room, after all."

As he and Adam walk to the second floor, he listens intently to the large man's explanation of Jade's eyes. "Ah, very good. I vaguely remembered some sort of lore or tale like that, but the details were evading me. I was hoping to get the wench to spill some of the story herself."

Suddenly, a look of realization dawns on the mage's face. "Oh... it seems your explanation has jogged my memory a bit. I remember where I've seen the tales of green eyes: An old tome I read once told of jade-eyed men born from a demonic pact. Not only were these men granted the gift of elevated sight, but their bloodlines were forever touched by the demons."

He packs his things into the chest at the foot of one of the beds and then locks the door behind him and Adam, once Adam has finished his business in the room.

As Braston waits for Adam to lead the way back to the common room, he brings up the verdant eyed woman again. "So, how much of a liability do you think she'll prove to be? We can't have this demonblood telling tales of the 'sunflower men' as she runs about with her multitude of male consorts."

"I trust you're not averse to silencing any 'problems'?" Braston asks, a steely, cold look in his eyes.

Tacitus
2011-08-10, 11:16 PM
Adam

Adam takes his time putting his few things away, but having only a single large pack and a few pouches in addition to his gloves and combat gear means that really doesn't take long at all. He leaves his buckler in his chest along with one of his belt pouches and his haversack, but keeps the belt pouch containing the other seven of the ten gold coins he usually keeps on hand. He considers leaving the dagger, but decides against it. He doesn't wear it openly, but doesn't try too terribly hard to hide it either.

Sleight of Hand the dagger: [roll0]

As they stand in the hall ready to head back down, Adam lets out a sigh at Braston's question, "Despite my willingness to collect ears, I don't often take them from people. Beastly things like elves and other animals I don't care about slaughtering by the hundreds, but I'd rather not harm the young ladies if we can help it."

AtS
2011-08-10, 11:47 PM
Braston

"Blood tainted by demons can hardly be considered human. Alternatively - flapping lips run the risk of being sliced clean off."

Rubbing his nose, Braston continues. "Still, I suppose we can give her the rest of the night as a chance to prove herself. If she wins my trust, she'll live. Otherwise, don't try to stop me from doing what must be done."

The mage glances down at their table in the far corner on the floor below at their other two companions and the suggestively-postured women. A condescending smirk spreads across his face. "I don't much like the look of her chances. Neither do you, from the look of it," he says, smirking as Adam conceals the dagger hastily in his sleeve. "Would you happen to have a second dagger I could borrow? I seem to have misplaced mine."

I'm assuming Adam wasn't concealing his dagger from Braston's eyes, since both of them were in the room while he was hiding it. I'll edit Braston's request accordingly if my assumption is wrong. I'm also going to have Braston pick one up tomorrow, his not owning a decent quality dagger is a pretty big oversight on my part.

wuwuwu
2011-08-10, 11:47 PM
As Braston tells his story, the two girls listen along and giggle, although Jade seems much more intensely focused, whereas Danshia is smiling almost absent-mindedly, paying less attention to the story than the men she finds herself in the company of.

When he mentions the Jade eyes, she quite naturally responds, "Oh no, my mother had quite normal eyes. It's my father who gave me these jade ones."

As the two excuse themselves, her eyes follow them. Her sister immediately turns to Renshi.

"So... you got any stories? You look the sort who would have plenty to tell the girls."

Raun:

Jade shoots an annoyed glance at her sister. Barely noticeable, but your body and mind are attuned to quick and subtle movements.

Tacitus
2011-08-11, 01:04 AM
Adam

He smirks as he flicks the dagger back out from his, admittedly poor, hiding spot, "Its the only one I got, but if we're going to have to defend ourselves I've got my ways that don't involve needing steel. Damn thing always feels thrice be damned hot in my hands to boot, so you can probably keep it." He slips him the dagger, and if he has any eye for metallurgy at all he'd notice that its not forged in a normal manner, but what they call Cold Iron. Oddly, the blade feels cool to the touch, despite Adam's fussing.

HempRope
2011-08-11, 02:18 AM
Raun

The arrival of the two girls puts Raun ill at ease; his experience with women is slight, unless you count plantation workers back when he was a boy, and he isn't used to bar talk anyways. So he's pleased when Braston slides into reparte with the pretty things... they look so innocent, though they probably aren't.

Stealing another draught from the pitcher of water, Raun settles into his chair, letting his gaze slide around the rest of the bar in a more-or-less offhand manner. The partiers he isn't particularly interested in, though it's nice to be surrounded by light-hearted camaraderie again. It's groups that look more like his own on which his eyes linger.

But alas, Raun's detachment is ended abruptly when Adam rises and the monk finds himself alone with Renshi and the lasses. He experiences a moment of panic.

Quick, what do I tell them?! Maybe I'm a... I'm a scholar! Or-- Oh, good, even they can tell I'm boring.

Raun's heart slows as Jade turns immediately to Renshi.

Wait, what was that? Maybe they're not so boring, after all. Though I'm probably just being paranoid...

Raun sidles his chair a little way around the side of the table, closer to the girls.

"And your sister didn't get the same charming feature?" he asks with a big smile.

Oh Heaven -- what are you even hoping you'll get out of this?!

wuwuwu
2011-08-12, 07:32 PM
Jade turns to Raun.

"You think it's charming? It's exotic, yes, but people don't like exotic. That's why we have an island up north, isn't it?"

She smiles back at him.

"My sister was blessed to have a more normal life. When I was little, a stray dog attacked me in my uncle's field while she stayed inside and sewed with our aunt. When I stayed inside to sew, a rat knocked a lamp over and the house burned down while my sister churned butter outside. I suppose one day I'll be Severed as well, while she remains normal."

"But, aren't you the one supposed to be telling stories?"

She leans over the table, slightly closer to Raun.

HempRope
2011-08-12, 11:54 PM
Raun

Raun is horrified.

She knows. She knows. There's no way she could, but she knows.

"Well... you've survived so far. And maybe... maybe that means you're due for some happy coincidences soon," Raun says, grasping for a humane response. He's been knocked quite on his heels.

"Of course, you say your sister is blessed. I've found that blessings tend to come with curses and curses with blessings. Would you really rather switch places with her?

"I like to think that those of us who are down at the moment are likely to find things looking up for us rather soon. And sometimes because we've spent a little time in the dark."

Kliv
2011-08-21, 07:58 PM

Renshi gaze had drifted off into the fire blazing in the hearth across the room.

"Have you, my cherry blossom, ever heard of the parable of the cracked pot?"

He did not wait for an answer but instead began speaking in dramatic tones while continuing to focus on the fire.

"A water bearer had two clay large pots, each hung on the ends of a pole which he carried across his neck. One of the pots had a crack in it, while the other pot was perfect and always delivered a full portion of water. At the end of the long walk from the stream to the house, the cracked pot arrived only half full. For a full two years this went on daily, with the bearer delivering only one and a half pots full of water to his house. Of course, the perfect pot was proud of its accomplishments, perfect for which it was made. But the poor cracked pot was ashamed of its own imperfection, and miserable that it was able to accomplish only half of what it had been made to do. After 2 years of what it perceived to be a bitter failure, it spoke to the water bearer one day by the stream. "I am ashamed of myself because this crack in my side causes water to leak all the way back to your house."

The bearer said to the pot, "Did you notice that there were flowers only on your side of the path, but not on the other pot's side? That's because I have always known about your flaw, and I planted flower seeds on your side of the path, and every day while we walk back, you've watered them. For two years I have been able to pick these beautiful flowers to decorate the table. Without you being just the way you are, there would not be this beauty to grace the house."

Renshi turned his gaze Jade, "So you see, we are all cracked pots. We are unable to see our true purpose in life because we choose to see only our flaws. I have chosen otherwise."

He smiles at Jade and leans across the table taking up his cup and sipping it.

wuwuwu
2011-08-21, 08:24 PM
Jade listens to Raun's words carefully. She giggles a little.

"Yes, I do think that I'd rather be the blessing than the curse."

And then she turns to listen to Renshi.

"Oh, that was a pretty story, don't you think Jade?" Her sister says when the story is over.

"I guess you're right... Although my flaw is hard to see..." She begins talking absentmindedly and trails off, and after a moment of pausing seems to realize she's made a mistake. She jumps a little in her chair, and looks between Raun and Renshi's faces, her own turning faintly red.

Obviously flustered, she begins stammering

"I mean you, you have to get pretty close to uh, to see eyes. And they're so, small, and..."

She is visibly relieved when several servants come out with the hog and place it on the table.

The waitress winks at Renshi, "I see ya found some ladies of yer own. You all enjoy the hog, now!"

Jade shoots a venomous look at her as she walks away.

"Well, shall we dig in?"

"No, we should wait for their friends. Shall I go up and get them? What room is yours?" Her tone is urgent.

AtS
2011-08-22, 10:36 AM
Braston

Braston accepts Adam's dagger with a word of thanks. Like his companion, he quickly hides it in his robe.

"Now, I suspect that our fellows are beginning to wonder where we've run off to," Braston says, motioning toward the stairs.

Sleight of Hand roll to conceal the dagger.
[roll0]

HempRope
2011-08-22, 02:49 PM
Raun

Raun watches closely as Jade backtracks.

"True, and it's not like you're named after it," he says, voice just slightly tinged with sarcasm. He flashes a thin-lipped smile.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

"Oh, I think we can go ahead and start without them," Raun says, trying to project magnanimity by broadening his smile. "They'll be down in a moment, none of us have eaten since breaking our fast this morning, and that was a cold meal."

Taking the serving fork and knife, Raun stands and begins shaving slices off the hog. Pork is one of his guilty pleasures, and he smiles as thick medallions of roast meat pile on the platter. The monk does his best to keep his robe from falling open as he works.

"Do you girls often find travelers offering pork roast?" he asks.

Damn Braston and that woman for bringing these girls over here.

Anyone remember how to insert a line break in bb code? I thought it was [ln] but apparently not...

Also, can Raun tell how old these girls are, please? I feel like "young" could be anywhere between 12 and 22 in this environment.

wuwuwu
2011-08-22, 04:54 PM
Jade looks relieved. Her eyes flit over to the stairs.

"It would be rude to not wait for them. It's," she hesitates for a split second, the gears in her head obviously turning, "Tradition in Dendebugulu to wait for all when such a grand meal is presented. It would really be no trouble for me to go knock on your doors. None at all. And then you all could tell us more fun stories."

Her eyes keep flitting back and forth from Raun to the staircase. Her sister rolls her eyes.

"I don't know what's gotten into you Jade. We have no tradition like that! Really now, let's just eat, they'll be down any second and I'm sure they won't mind. If you keep acting like this, you'll scare these travellers right out of town!"

"And no, nobody ever buys a full hog to share. Nobody with that kind of money comes around this tavern. Are you folks really successful merchants?"

Jade looks to be 19 or 20 (OOC: She is 19), and her sister looks 2 or 3 years older.

Kliv
2011-08-22, 07:23 PM

Renshi holds out his tin plate to Raun who deposits several thick slices of pork dripping with fat.

"Jade, you're welcome to go check if you like. Top of the stairs, first and second doors on the left."

Renshi takes a hearty bite of pork and says as he chews, "Of course, <chomp> every minute <smack> you're gone means <chew> less hog for you!"

He swallows the bite and turns to Jade's sister, "You misunderstand, my dear. We're not *all* merchants, of course. Those two upstairs wouldn't know how to turn a profit if it was a wheel attached to a cart! But they are rather handy in certain other, shall we say, 'adjacent' markets and other mentally untaxing endeavors."

Bluff - [roll0] - Mislead Jade towards the wrong rooms
Bluff - [roll1] - Convince Jade's sister that Raun and I are the brains behind this organization

wuwuwu
2011-08-22, 10:47 PM
Jade jumps up from the table a little too quickly.

She half-shouts "Thanks, I'll just be right back with them!" as she briskly walks across the room and bounds up the stairs.

At the top:

When she arrives on top of the stairs, she sees Braston and Adam.

"Good. Quick, I want to talk to you two alone for a second. Let's go back to your room for a bit."

She raises her arms and flaps her tunic to show there isn't anything concealed. She lowers her voice to a whisper and looks around before continuing with a serious face.

"I know you're Severed."

At the table:

Danshia takes some of the pork and quite literally "digs in". She shows no restraint as she wolfs down bite after bite, stopping intermittently only to drink water or wipe her face with a towel.

"So they're bodyguards? The one who told us about the alchemist must be smart, though, if he was a wizard's apprentice. An alchemist is a wizard, right?"

"And if he's that smart, but only the brawn, then you two must be, like, really really smart?"

She continues eating looking into Renshi's eyes with her own brown orbs as she waits for his answer.

AtS
2011-08-22, 11:03 PM
Braston

"Woman, if you wish to keep your tongue, you will not speak those words aloud again."

A grave pall has fallen over Braston's face. He had not hoped that things would progress this quickly.

"Come into our room where we may speak in private." The mage gestures to the door. His stern face reveals that he will not accept any alternatives to his suggestion.

Tacitus
2011-08-22, 11:05 PM
Adam

Towering over her, the man narrows his eyes at her and replies in a hushed but harsh tone, "That's a mighty big accusation, lass, and I think it best you get your eyes checked. Mr. Apprentice here should be able to help with that." He flicks his eyes back to the door to the room and then glances to see if anyone is watching them.

So yeah, bluff check? [roll0] To keep a straight face if nothing else. >.>
Maybe some Intimidate? [roll1]
I'd prefer a cool-cucumber and bluster route over using the intimidate, but I've rolled both so you can read it however ye like.

And aye, Detect Magic. I'd like to see if I can find her strand. I was going to try it when she wasn't looking, but oh well...

Kliv
2011-08-23, 07:24 AM

Renshi chuckles a bit at Danshia's question, "Well, he'll tell you he's smarter than all of us put together, no doubt! The fact of the matter is, an alchemist is simply a skilled craftsman like a baker or a carpenter. He knows how to make materials join together and form something more pleasing than their base components, such as flour and yeast becoming bread or planks of wood becoming a table. It's takes skill, certainly, but I think a true wizard would be insulted to have alchemy called magic!"

He takes a long swig of ale from his cup to wash down the pork. "As for myself and Raun, our presence before you is a clear indication that our intelligence and quick thinking is superior enough to keep us alive thus far."

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 11:13 AM
Upstairs

Jade follows the two into the room, and as soon as the door is closed behind them begins talking quickly and without taking breaths.

"IcanseeStrandsifIthinkreallyhardandsawthatyourswer eSeveredbutthatyouhadthesunflowermarksoIknowyou're onyourjourney!"

As she gasps for breath, she calms down a little and speaks more calmly and controlled.

"The Shangrukoi Zanshi are all over town right now, nobody leaves without Commander Nolan himself inspecting them. I can get you out of town when you leave!"

At the table:

Danshia nods.

"I see. Do you mostly travel along the roads, or by boat? I'd say roads, because the sailors normally stay at the Foeksel." She blushes a little, embarrassed because she doesn't think she said it right.
"And their hair is crusty with salt."

HempRope
2011-08-23, 11:45 AM
Raun

Raun almost drops the meat he's serving when Renshi sends Jade upstairs, but quickly realizes that he's sent her to the wrong rooms. Sitting down again, he does his best impression of Danshia's fervor for the meal, though he doesn't enjoy the roast nearly as much as he would under other circumstances.

"Ahn' he ma'es us goo' mo'ey," he adds around a mouthful, vowing to say as little as possible but realizing it would be odd if he shut up completely.

Tacitus
2011-08-23, 02:54 PM
Adam

For several long moments he simply stares at the girl, "I take it that you make this offer to all of the Severed that come through town?" He rather specifically does not confirm nor directly deny actually being a Severed, but if her eyes truly do work as she says and that she has the ability there really isn't much hiding it.

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 08:30 PM
Upstairs:

Jade looks confused.

"All the Severed? No. I'm offering it to you because you're the redeemed ones. The sunflower means you're on the quest to Zizu, right?"

She's starting to look worried, like she's not as sure of the situation as she thought she was.

Danshia sees Raun matching her pace and giggles a little, blushing. She slows down.

"Sorry if I'm not acting very girlish right now. We don't get a lot of good meat, often."

HempRope
2011-08-23, 10:34 PM
Raun

Raun shakes his head emphatically, swallows laboriously and then smiles.

"Mmmh, no, I'm just hungry," he says, a bit sheepish himself now that she's pointed out his piggishness.

I am hungry, all these delicious turns of phrase... which reminds me, I'm going to miss mutton!

"And maybe you can do us a favor back -- since we're foreign here, can you tell us a bit about Denbugulu? Have you lived here all your life?"

Might as well keep her talking... and perhaps we'll get something about her sister, too.

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 11:44 PM
Danshia nods.

"Of course! Well, it's pretty much what you'd expect from a northern town. It's filled with people, and most of them are bad. Walk down any street at night and you'll have been pick-pocketed, stabbed, bullied, kidnapped, offered items expensive and illegal, tempted by women, tempted by men, tempted by men dressed as women and then have a bridge sold to you!"

"Of course, not everyone here is bad. A lot of people came with Severed and couldn't afford their way back down South. Or were kidnapped and forced up here. Or are Shangrukoi Zanshi."

"That's the only thing keeping this town from devolving into a lawless bandit camp. They say things were much better when I was very young, and our father was the commander here. They say he ran both the Shangrukoi and the criminals, and forced them to work together. Before Jade was born, though, he was Severed..."

"But! The very next year, he was chosen to go on the journey South! It was a rumor that the birth of Jade inspired his Strand to grow back. He stayed in town only briefly, and once he left we heard only rumors from the southern town."

Danshia's gaze has drifted towards the light of lamps as she tells the story, and she pauses, deep in thought for a moment.

"Oh! But you wanted to know about the town, not my father! Sorry. The current leader of the Shangrukoi Zanshi is Nolan. He runs it tight. All order and discipline and "eliminate the criminal element". He's a good man, and he does a good job, but the criminal elements are just too strong and he has to deal with sending his men out on missions."

"Besides the criminals and the Zanshi, mostly the city deals with trading rice and fish, although to be honest? I'm sure most of the gold in this city comes from the Severed's pockets as their belongings are confiscated, as terrible as that sounds."

"So, I guess that's the general overview of our city? Was there anything specific you wanted to know?"

She uses this breaking point to eat a few more mouthfuls of pork.

HempRope
2011-08-24, 01:40 PM
Raun

Whoa...

"Oh, not really, I don't think we'll be in town very long," Raun replies, looking over at Renshi for a moment. "I would have asked what we should do for entertainment tonight, but you make it out to be an unpleasant place by evening.

"Though maybe we should get some smoked fish rather than jerked meat for our trip south, is there someplace near here that's good?"

And if that's what happened to their father, then Jade...

"I'm sorry to hear about your father. He sounds like a great man. I hope you'll get to see him again some time -- he could still come back with his Strand intact, after all."

It's important to keep repeating that.

"What was his name?"

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 02:04 PM
"Oh, have to keep moving to make a profit, right?"

"Why be bored all night? There is plenty of entertainment here, and nobody will steal from you or beat you."

The roar of the party fills your ears once again, reminding you that it's there.

"And thank you for your comforting words, but… it's been 18 years since he began his journey south, and rumors of his activities haven't been heard in 15 years…"

She trails off and focuses on her food for a few seconds, then looks back up at you hopefully.

"Unless… his name was Yi Chow Sai! Have you heard anything about Yi Chow Sai?"

HempRope
2011-08-24, 02:10 PM
Raun

Raun shakes his head slowly.

"I'm sorry, no... though if we ever meet him, we'll tell him that his daughters still remember him fondly."

And that the younger one is... well, I don't know. What happened to her, anyway?

AtS
2011-08-24, 03:15 PM
Braston

Braston sits on the bed, keeping a careful eye on the young woman. He calmly waits for her initial outburst to subside. After she and Adam have exchanged words, Braston interjects.

"Look, it seems like both parties are similarily confused." The mage's voice has an uncharacteristically kind lilt as he attempts to assuage Jade's uncertainty. "However, before we can truly move forward with this conversation, we," he gestures toward himself and Adam, "must protect our interests."

"Enemies in this world are many. To prove yourself an ally, I would have you consent to a brief search of your mind. A simple spell, just to insure that your words are pure." The mage pauses for a second, as if in thought, before continuing. If you should deny this request, then it would be best for us to simply part ways here and now."

Gonna throw in some Bluff and Diplomacy, though I'm not sure how needed they are.

[roll0] Diplomacy
[roll1] Bluff

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 03:44 PM
Upstairs (Un-spoilered for silliness of spoiler-ing an entire post)

Jade looks back and forth between the men, trying to evaluate the situation. Her brow furrows as she quickly weighs her options.

"Okay. Go ahead."

She stands stiff as a board and squeezes her eyes shut, bracing herself for what she expects to be an unpleasant feeling.

AtS
2011-08-24, 04:04 PM
Braston

With a touch of two fingers to his temple, the mage points at Jade's forehead with his free hand. He closes his eyes and concentrates, shutting the ambient noise of the party downstairs out from his senses. Soon, the vague, unconscious thoughts of everyone surrounding him begin to bubble up. He ignores these, instead focusing on the green-eyed girl who stands before him. Tendrils of his mind brush past hers, and with these, he quickly gathers more and more of the strands of her thoughts as they float out from her consciousness.

"Adam," he says, firmly. "Proceed with the questions."

Tacitus
2011-08-24, 04:26 PM
Adam

The taller man smiles and nods as he begins, "You can open your eyes, lass. No need to hide them unless you suddenly develop the means by which to shoot eldritch fire from them or some nonsense. Now, I'll ask basic question or two to see if Braston has a handle on things. These first few might seem silly."

He begins his questions whether she opens her eyes or not, and will pause for answers, or stop his line of questioning if Braston indicates something is wrong. If she answers in few words, he'll prompt her for a more detailed explanation (as noted by parenthesis where applicable).

"Is your name Jade?" (If not, "Then what is your real name, lass?")

"Do you have a sister names Danshia?" (If not, "And her real name?")

"Are you currently standing in a room with only two men?" (If no, "How do you mean?")

"Do you believe myself and Braston here to be Severed?" (No additional query based on response.)

"Do you suspect any others currently in town of being Severed? If so, who?"

"Do you have any ulterior motives to assisting Severed, redeemed or not? If so, what would these motives be?"

And I'm going to stop there. I didn't want to make one post at a time with only one question, so I tossed out a few, but didn't go any farther than that because thats probably a fairly decent sized reply post coming as it is.

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 05:36 PM
She opens her eyes and answers each question slowly and carefully, looking into Braston's eyes defiantly. Her slow talking and defiant gaze suggests she doesn't care for this complication, not that she's attempting at deception.

"Yes."

"Yes."

She glances around the room quickly when asked the third question. Her eyes fall on the bed for a moment, but she looks back into Braston's eyes, satisfied.

"Yes."

"Yes."

"No."

"No."

When the questions are done, she says "You guys sure are cautious around somebody just trying to help you. What could a little girl like me do to hurt you?"

AtS
2011-08-24, 06:08 PM
Braston

Braston nods his head at each of the girl's answers. Through the use of his magic, he is able to determine the general truth to her statements.

"There's quite a bit of damage one can do through something as simple and innocuous as talking, miss." He purses his lips before continuing. "Now, about your father... who was he, exactly?"

OOC:
I read Danshia's explanation about their dad, so if Jade doesn't have any more insight to add, then feel free to gloss over the details rather than essentially tell the same story twice.

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 06:17 PM
Jade grows defensive, and says through closed teeth.

"I'll talk about my father when you stop probing my mind, if that's all well with you."

Thoughts:

"Why does he want to know? It's not important!"

Tacitus
2011-08-24, 06:44 PM
Adam

He chuckles as she asks what harm she could do and he shakes his head, "Maybe if this were a more pleasant visit to my room you'd get to see the scar I have from the last young woman who said that to me. Half blood savage of a wench, she was. Sympathized with 'em, for whatever reason."

He sighs as he continues questioning, though his attitude towards her seems to have improved somewhat, "If this Nolan is inspecting people as they leave, does he do it in the same manner as you, or does he have some more direct magical talent? Would he notice the sunflowers, or has he been shown to not care in the past?"

AtS
2011-08-24, 06:47 PM
Braston

Braston ceases his spell, satisfied with his gleaned insight. "Adam, she's about as idealistic and naive as an adolescent girl can get. She wants to help us escape the Shangrukoi Zanshi's clutches - apparently they've got somewhat of an iron grip over this town."

He strokes his chin and bites the inside of his cheek. "If you believe my judgement, Adam, then let it be known that she has gained my trust," he says, before turning back to face Jade. "Milady, I apologize for the intrusion into your mind. Surely you can see the necessity in such a grave situation. You know firsthand the perils that face ones such as ourselves."

Of course, we have yet to see if this girl has any semblance of a plan to help us escape. The mage is lost in thought yet again.

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 07:43 PM
"Half blood...?" she tilts her head quizzically at Adam's comment.

"Sorry, just wondering aloud. As for Nolan, he'll know you're Severed from down the street, without even thinking about it. I have to concentrate, and after a while I can see the shimmer of Strands. Nolan just... feels it."

"I'm sure he'd see the sunflower, he's dealt with the redeemed before. The only reason he's got the place locked down is the murders, and I know you can't be the murderers because they happened before the boat arrived..."

"Really, all he'd do is hold you for questioning, just to make sure, but who knows how long that could be! You want to get south as soon as possible, right?"

"My father, I'll let you know, ran both the Shangrukoi and the underworld before he was Severed.", she says smugly.

"And that's how this 'idealistic and naive young girl' is going to get you out of here; using the old smuggler tunnels. They're a little flooded, but no more than up to the waist last time I was down there."

"So, do you trust me? Tell me when to meet you to make our escape, and then we can get down to that hog. It's getting cold by now, I think.:

Tacitus
2011-08-26, 02:36 AM
Adam

He ignores the confused look concerning the half-bloods and seems to think for several long moments, "I'm prepared to trust you, but I think we'll have to converse with our traveling companions before we can leave. Certainly not before tomorrow, as taking these rooms and then not using them would be might suspicious. Suspicious isn't something we need if there is a murderer on the loose."

AtS
2011-08-27, 09:39 PM
Braston

"Midday tomorrow would give us enough time to get all our affairs in order before we skip town. Now, let's return to the feast waiting for us below, shall we?"

Braston gestures toward the door.

wuwuwu
2011-08-27, 10:25 PM
Jade nods and allows Braston and Adam to lead her back to the table, where she takes her seat next to Danshia and begins eating food. The sisters exchange looks, and Danshia giggles.

"Now that uh, we're all back, we can enjoy this feast! I see you started without us, Danshia."

"It's not my fault you took forever! I wonder what you did up there, huh?" Danshia chuckles, as Jade fires a spiteful look at her.

HempRope
2011-08-28, 01:39 AM
Raun

Raun furrows his brows at the other two, wondering what they had been up to, and after a second gestures to the platter of half-sliced hog.

"Help yourselves," he says unhelpfully.

wuwuwu
2011-08-28, 12:30 PM
As the party dies down and people begin filtering out, the hog is reduced to a mere skeleton.

Danshia and Jade thank you for kindness and the grand feast you provided and leave the Horse Pie. The bar wenches clean tables and remove the hog skeleton and wake up the drunks who haven't left yet.

Going up to your rooms, Braston and Adam fill Raun and Renshi in on the mid-day meeting and the plan to go through the smuggler tunnels, guided by Jade.

Nothing eventful happens during the night. The sleep is restful, besides the odd stray cat's yowl.

The sun rises on a new day, and you awake to the morning bustle of Dendebugulu's streets. You have about 6 hours before you are to meet Jade in the abandoned district.

HempRope
2011-09-01, 10:42 PM
Raun

Raun meets the others in the common room for breakfast.

"It's odd sleeping outside of my little place on the... back home," Raun says, grimacing as he calls the Island of the Severed "home." That is still a long ways south of here.

"So what's to do today? We'll need some food for the road, but I don't imagine we can take horses after all, can we?"

Tacitus
2011-09-04, 03:30 PM
Adam

He shakes his head, "Taking horses might be a bit difficult, I'd imagine, unless we can convince someone to head on down the path with a few extras to meet up later. Food for our travel shouldn't be all that difficult, as I've got all I need and can carry plenty more to boot. I honestly wouldn't mind covering the bill for some trail vittles if ye can't yourselves."

Kliv
2011-09-04, 05:24 PM

I'm afraid you're right, Adam. As much as I was looking forward to haggling with the horse traders and besting them at their own game, I think it will prove a bit too difficult to try to sneak out of the city with four horses. Hopefully the next city of size we come to could provide faster transportation.

I am interested in finding a map, however crude, of the area south. And speaking of south, a compass could be useful as well. I readily admit I'm my wilderness lore is not exceptional.

HempRope
2011-09-04, 07:57 PM
Raun

"I'm sure I can buy my own food -- though I appreciate the offer," Raun tells Adam. I wouldn't have thrown gold at a hog if I couldn't afford tomorrow's lunch.

"A map is smart. If we're going to be in tunnels we'll want some torches or the like, unless any of you have some trick to light things up for all of us. And I'd like to buy some healing potions, too, just in case things... get hairy."

I know some of you have sunrods (btw, I've never seen a party with so many grappling hooks) but Raun would like to buy four of them (8gp) and three potions of CLW (75gp). If the place(s) where he gets those have the following items, he'd also like to buy two of each: Acid (flask) (2=20gp), Smokestick (2=40gp), Tindertwig (2=2gp). Raun has weapons but I didn't otherwise equip him for adventuring. If he needs to get a belt pouch to be able to get at the acid quickly he'll do that, too. And how do you feel about stowing a Smokestick in the bandolier that holds his Sais?

Oh, and I guess ten days' worth of rations (5gp).

Ready to go ahead once we've acquired, or tried and failed to acquire, all that stuff. Don't know if you want to RP any of it, but I'm good to go w/o if it's uneventful.

AtS
2011-09-19, 09:13 PM
Braston

The mage nods at Raun's advice. "I'm prepared for light travel, but in all honesty, you're right. Our supplies are fairly meager for how far we're to be traveling, and we have no idea when we'll arrive in another town - or if we'll even be able to buy supplies there."

The mage holds up his coin purse. "If we're going to be traveling together, I'm not averse to pooling funds."