PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Ultimate Magic Inquisitor Stuff

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-07-18, 02:44 PM
I'm building an Inquisitor for an upcoming game here, and I had a couple questions regarding the alternate class features that have arrived in Ultimate Magic, most specifically, the Inquisitions and the Preacher Archetype.

I'll go out on a limb and say that I really, REALLY like the Inquisitions. They give Inquisitors a whole other list of options and now they're not as limited when their deity has crappy domain choices (I'm lookin' at yew, Sun Domain).

I'm just curious as to which Inquisition is the best one to use. At first glance, the Conversion Inquisition looks like the best bet, as most gods can use it, and it allows you to place Charisma firmly as a dump stat since now all social interaction skills fall under Wisdom's umbrella, which should be your highest stat. On the other hand, a few other Inquisitions look just as cool. I'm playing an Iomedean, and while Iomedae seems to have the most inquisitions available of any god, I'm not sure if Conversion is the greatest Inquisition.

The options I have are:

Conversion, Heresy, Justice, Order, Persistence, Truth and Valor.

Valor looks okay in that it grants you the immunity to fear of a paladin, but then if you want to play your Inquisitor like a Paladin, why not just PLAY a paladin?

Heresy offers some nice bonuses to negotiation skills, but the first-level benefit is like a weaker version of Conversion's impressive power.

Justice looks great if you're crit-fishing, but the other power doesn't seem to do very much in my opinion, it just locks down an opponent, and if you're hurt it's hurt. The problem is that it also works the other way. If your allies hurt that opponent, you're hurt to. I don't know how much of a good idea it is to have players pull their punches like that, since the kind of foe you want to lock down with that power would usually be a leader.

I don't know how good order is, but then I've never played a character that had much use for command spells and the like.

Persistence looks impressive, if only because it gives you a bonus feat. Later it allows you to improve your speed and heal yourself a bit. Not bad, as far as I know. If Conversion didn't make it much easier to be the party's face I'd take this Inquisition in a heartbeat.

Truth doesn't seem that great to me. It gives you a nice boost, but that boost doesn't last for long, and its other power is basically an interrogation gimmick.

Now for the Preacher. I've never been sure of the efficacy of teamwork feats, but the Inquisitor gets a big bonus in that they can initiate them on their own via Solo Tactics. Is that worth the bonuses the Preacher Archetype grants? Forcing an enemy to reroll an attack looks pretty helpful, as well as the situational rerolls and boosts to AC meaning you can defend yourself better in combat on the fly. Is that worth the sacrifices of solo tactics and free feats though?

NamelessNPC
2011-07-19, 12:35 AM
I haven't used an Inquisitor yet, but I have one ready for the next campaing. I too saw the conversion inquisition as the best, because it basically lets you have 5 stats.

Regarding teamwork feats, I don't think I can convince my party members to pick them because they are really conditional, so I chose Precise Strike and Outflank (I'm starting with 7 inquisitor lvls) because while not THAT powerful, at least they'll actually do something any time I flank an opponent

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-07-19, 12:43 AM
What I'm curious about isn't the right mix of Teamwork feats, but thanks for the tip. :smallsmile:

I'm wondering if the Determination alternate ability from the Preacher archetype is a worthwhile replacement to solo tactics (and by extension the teamwork feats that you get for free, since you have the option of gaining an extra use of Determination per day instead of a teamwork feat).