PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVIII

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

LibraryOgre
2011-07-18, 03:07 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about D&D 3.5.

If your question is about D&D 4e or some other system, ask here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6837321)
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192911)
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here.
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18512)
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff) and X stat to Y bonus (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871590/X_stat_to_Y_bonus) are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Please start over with the numbering. Thanks.

Keld Denar
2011-07-18, 03:09 PM
Q 1

What is the term called when one mod is faster at putting up the next thread than the other?

Psyren
2011-07-18, 03:12 PM
Q 1

What is the term called when one mod is faster at putting up the next thread than the other?

A 1 Minja?

And technically, you posted in the slower one :smalltongue:

averagejoe
2011-07-18, 03:19 PM
Q 1

Good service? :smalltongue:

The Mod They Call Me: This seems like as good a time as any to bring this up. We have noticed that it seems to have become procedure to double post in this thread when responding to multiple topics. However, note that this is still against the forum rules. As usual, you should multiquote or edit your previous post instead of double posting.

WarKitty
2011-07-18, 03:22 PM
From the previous thread:

Q588

Is there any stated time for how long it takes to remove a hand from a two-handed weapon and replace it? Specifically looking at swift or immediate action spells that require a free hand.

Still looking for source on this.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-18, 03:27 PM
A 588

It's a free action to let go of something.

Psyren
2011-07-18, 03:34 PM

A588 Source:

Although the rules don't mention it, letting go of a two-handed weapon with one hand or putting a free hand back on the weapon is a free action for you. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a)

Hazzardevil
2011-07-18, 04:03 PM
Q 583

With the following wording.

When you sing or use some other Perform skill.

Does this mean a bard can simply sing a random song, (Not use bardic music) and the effect of a feat would activate

dextercorvia
2011-07-18, 06:58 PM
Q 583

With the following wording.

Does this mean a bard can simply sing a random song, (Not use bardic music) and the effect of a feat would activate

We still don't know what feat you are referencing.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-18, 07:29 PM
The Mod They Call Me: This seems like as good a time as any to bring this up. We have noticed that it seems to have become procedure to double post in this thread when responding to multiple topics. However, note that this is still against the forum rules. As usual, you should multiquote or edit your previous post instead of double posting.
I think it's worth mentioning that in the past when this de rigueur procedure was followed, it seemed to actually increase the message count, as unrelated answers in a post would get overlooked. Thus we'd have multiple responders to questions already answered, and/or questioners re-posting their queries.

But you set the rules. If you don't want to create a procedural exception for this thread, we'll respect that decision.

And putting that into practice:

Q588

Is there any stated time for how long it takes to remove a hand from a two-handed weapon and replace it? Specifically looking at swift or immediate action spells that require a free hand.
The only RAW source is that dropping an item is a free action (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#freeActions), which supports Swiftmongoose's partial answer; "an item" is an ambiguous term, and can include the hand holding a weapon.

However, there's no RAW support for replacing a hand as a free item, so that's a DM's call. Psyren's link is to a Skip Williams house rule. That one strikes me as pretty reasonable, but your DM may disagree. You'll have to ask.

OMG PONIES
2011-07-18, 08:00 PM
Q2: How many claw attacks would a thri-kreen totemist with Girallon Arms bound to its totem chakra get in a round?

Q3: If the same character took a level in Soul Eater, would each of their claw attacks drain a level on a hit?

Keld Denar
2011-07-18, 08:11 PM
A 2

6. Giralon Claws makes 2 of your limbs into claws (which were consequently already claws, so use the higher of the 2 damages), then gives you 2 shadowy arms that also have claws, and you also have 2 more arms by virtue of being a 'Kreen. Oh, and a bite!

A 3

The short answer is Yes.

The long answer is YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-18, 08:43 PM
A 2 8.

A Thri-Kreen has 4 4-fingered clawed arms, all of which can be used to make claw attacks. Chakra Bind (Totem) for Girallon Arms creates two extra arms and makes you gain 4 claws. Since you already had 4 claws, you now have 8.

Confusion stems from two passages:

All four of your arms are tipped with long claws that no longer seem ghostly, but quite real—and quite sharp.
You can make a single claw attack as a primary attack, using your full attack bonus and adding your Strength bonus on your damage roll. You can make up to three additional claw attacks as secondary attacks, following either a primary claw attack or an attack with a weapon.Since a Thri-Kreen in this situation actually has 6 arms, reference to "all four" arms is misleading; the text assumes only 2 initial arms. Similarly, the assumption that you had no initial claw attacks leads to confusion in the second passage. If the first quote were taken literally (instead of as commentary on the expected case), you would have two of your base arms disappear when you bound Girallon Arms. If the second quote were taken as applying globally instead of just to the gained claws, all four of your base claws would become nonfunctional upon binding and you would never have more than 4 claw attacks. Both of these are erroneous conclusions.

The distribution of those claws among the various arms is something for DM judgment, but regardless of that distribution the following remain true:

You have 4 (original) + 4 (gained) claws = 8 claws total.
Only one claw can be a primary attack; all others are secondary.
If you have a shield in any of your (many) off hands, you get no secondary attacks.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-18, 09:57 PM
Q3: If the same character took a level in Soul Eater, would each of their claw attacks drain a level on a hit?

A 3

The short answer is Yes.

The long answer is YYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

C3

This matter is apparently ambiguous and has seen much debate. There is an argument that the Soul Eater's ability is akin to a touch spell, in that it is activated and grants you a single attempt to touch your opponent. One facet of this argument is the fact that it is a Supernatural ability, and those default to a standard action when no action is listed. Depending on how you read it, you might only be able to touch somebody once per standard action with that ability.

Everest
2011-07-18, 10:04 PM
Q 4: If a Druid shapechanged into a hydra and burnt a use of their wild shape to use the feat Serpent's Venom (Complete Divine) to poison their bite attack, does each head (each bite) get the poison added to it, or only one?

maximus25
2011-07-18, 10:34 PM
Q5: Does temporal stasis allow you to qualify for the evolved template as an undead? And if so, if say I were in temporal stasis for 3 million years as an undead creature would I also gain the benefits of aging? And do undead even gain the benefits of aging?

Keld Denar
2011-07-19, 12:18 AM
A 2 8.

A Thri-Kreen has 4 4-fingered clawed arms, all of which can be used to make claw attacks. Chakra Bind (Totem) for Girallon Arms creates two extra arms and makes you gain 4 claws. Since you already had 4 claws, you now have 8.
This part is not accurate. Rules precident state that if you already have a natural weapon, and gain a similar natural weapon, they overlap and you use the highest damage of the two.

<snip> If you already have claw attacks, use either your normal claw damage or the damage given for this soulmeld, whichever is higher.

If you only have one mouth, you only get one bite. A Fist of the Forest who is also a Bear Warrior who uses Bear Rage AND Feral Trance gains a bite attack from each, but would only gain one actual bite and use the higher of the damages between the two (Bear Warrior in most cases). If you only have one pair of arms, you only get one pair of claws. Girallon Arms only gives you one extra pair of arms, which means that it transforms one of your other pairs of arms into claws. For a human, this is simple. For a creature with multiple arms which also have claws, its slightly more complicated. He would have 6 arms (4 normal, 2 extra from the meld), and of those, they would deal:

2 would deal Thri-Kreen claw damage OR Girallon Arms claw damage, whichever is higher.
2 would deal Thri-Kreen claw damage, as they are unmodified by the meld.
2 would deal Girallon Arm claw damage, since they are the ones granted by the meld.

Q 6

I seem to remember a set of bracers is a book that make your natural weapons count as both magical and silver for the purposes of overcoming DR. Anyone have a name and possibly a source book for this?

UserClone
2011-07-19, 12:18 AM
A5a:

NO.
Yes, it would still exist, but it wouldn't be able to evolve because "condition remains fixed" according to the text of the spell.

b:

NO.
The spell explicitly forbids aging of any kind, and also, see the above quote.

c:

NO.
Becoming Undead changes your type. To my knowledge, there are no listed age categories for an undead creature of any kind. Your DM might allow you to use the ones for your previous race, but that would be a house rule, AFAIK.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-19, 12:46 AM
Re: A 2

This part is not accurate. Rules precident state that if you already have a natural weapon, and gain a similar natural weapon, they overlap and you use the highest damage of the two.
I agree that if the soulmeld had included language stating that the new claws overlap with existing claws, or if it said you merely gained claw attacks, that would be the case. However, this soulmeld uses different language:
Incarnum coalesces around your arms and upper torso, forming blue-white fur that seems to enhance your arm and chest muscles. It also extends from your fingers to form ghostly claws that, despite their insubstantial appearance, help you gain purchase while climbing or grappling.
You gain four claws that you can use as natural weapons, dealing 1d4 points of damage with each claw. These are newly gained claws (not merely claw attacks), and do not replace existing claws.

If you only have one mouth, you only get one bite.
Indeed, that makes a good analogy. This is the difference between gaining a bite attack, and gaining an extra mouth.

I stand by my answer.

A 6

You may be thinking of Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane in Player's Guide to Faerûn on page 123. These have the benefits you specified for "any weapon ... that the wearer grasps while wearing the gauntlets". Depending on your DM, this may apply to natural weapons.

Thurbane
2011-07-19, 02:44 AM
A 6 additional

Gauntlets of Weaponry Arcane can also be found in the Magic Item Compendium.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-19, 03:39 AM
We still don't know what feat you are referencing.

I am Refrencing Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin).
I didn't repost the rest of the feat because I didn't want to risk getting an infraction. The rest of the feat describes what happens when you use it.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-19, 04:45 AM
I am Refrencing Doomspeak (Champions of Ruin).
I didn't repost the rest of the feat because I didn't want to risk getting an infraction. The rest of the feat describes what happens when you use it.
Doomspeak does not contain the phrase "When you sing or use some other Perform skill". In any event, while Doomspeak expends a Bardic music use, it does not require either singing or a Perform skill check. Instead, the target of Doomspeak simply makes a Will save or becomes affected, as per the feat.

Kornilios
2011-07-19, 06:19 AM
Q7

When a druid with +1 wilding breastplate and monk's belt wildshapes,he gains +6 AC form breastplate, his wisdom mod and +1 ac from monk's belt.Is that correct?

Boci
2011-07-19, 06:27 AM
Q 8

If you fail a UMD check to use a wand, is a charge wasted?

Yora
2011-07-19, 06:28 AM
A7: Monks belt grants you the ability of the monk, which only works when not wearing armor. A wild armor is still worn, even when it becomes part of the character during wild shape. So I'd say, you gain only the benefit of the armor, but not the belt.

A8: UMD allows you to be treated as having the spell of the wand on your class spell list. If the check fails, you are not treated as such and you can't even activate the wand. So no charge is lost.

Kornilios
2011-07-19, 06:36 AM
[QUOTE=Yora;11448745]A7: Monks belt grants you the ability of the monk, which only works when not wearing armor. A wild armor is still worn, even when it becomes part of the character during wild shape. So I'd say, you gain only the benefit of the armor, but not the belt.

In PHB errata in wild shape says"Any gear worn or carried by the druid melds into the new form and becomes nonfuctional".So I think that if a druid has a monk's belt with a wilding clasp attached,the monk's belt would give it's benefits.

OMG PONIES
2011-07-19, 06:41 AM
A7 clarification: The question is moot, since a druid is prohibited from wearing metal armor. A druid who wears breastplate cannot wild shape while wearing the armor or for 24 hours thereafter, as below:

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor....A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield
is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell- like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-19, 07:00 AM
Doomspeak does not contain the phrase "When you sing or use some other Perform skill". In any event, while Doomspeak expends a Bardic music use, it does not require either singing or a Perform skill check. Instead, the target of Doomspeak simply makes a Will save or becomes affected, as per the feat.

Sorry, had the wrong feat, I meant haunting melody. (http://dnd.savannahsoft.eu/feat-1347-haunting-melody.html)

Hazzardevil
2011-07-19, 07:02 AM
A7 clarification: The question is moot, since a druid is prohibited from wearing metal armor. A druid who wears breastplate cannot wild shape while wearing the armor or for 24 hours thereafter, as below:

It isn't moot, it could be made of dragonhide.

Kornilios
2011-07-19, 07:12 AM
A7 clarification

In wild armor,nowhere says that it is not becomes nonfuctional.It is just says that it cannot be seen.

UserClone
2011-07-19, 07:27 AM
A 583, finally:smalltongue:

Special: Using this ability counts as one of your daily uses of bardic music.

A3, Final

No. There is no ambiguity. Any (Su) ability defaults to a standard action unless otherwise noted. It is not otherwise noted, therefore, the ability is a Standard action, so you don't get to touch once with every limb to deal multiple negative levels.

A7

If you are granted an armor bonus from wearing your armor, you do not gain the AC bonus from a monk's belt. For shame, such shenanigans! *smacks with rolled-up newspaper*:smalltongue: Seriously, though, it doesn't work.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-19, 07:40 AM
Q8

Does a "Deadly Hunter" druid benefit from the AC bonus of a Monk's Belt as if he was a monk?

UserClone
2011-07-19, 07:54 AM
A8

Not per RAW, no. "As Monk" still does not make you a Monk. The Deadly Hunter's AC and the Monk's Belt AC overlap, so whichever grants the better bonus. HOWEVER, ask your DM, because this is clearly not RAI, or why would they have a Druid give up Wild Shape? It's a class feature better than some whole classes!:smallwink:

ILM
2011-07-19, 08:03 AM
Q9: What happens when two characters with Robilar's Gambit face off? Chain AoOs until one drops dead or runs out?

Q10: Is there any way to make a whip-dagger threaten?

Q11: Is there any way to make a spiked chain deal slashing damage?

Sorry about the barrage. :smallredface:

UserClone
2011-07-19, 08:50 AM
A11:
Kind of. The transmuting magical weapon property (MIC) allows your weapon to overcome any DR for 10 rounds after a successful hit.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-19, 10:42 AM
A11.5 (Kind of) There is a weapon in Races of Eberron, the drow scorpion chain, which is a slashing spiked chain, the only difference it does 1d6 damage instead of 2d4 and it may have a different crit range.

Q12 A If a Dragonwrought Kobold undergoes the Rite of Rebirth and becomes a Dragonborn, does he retains the Dragon Type?

Q12 B If he has taken Kobold only feats such as Draconic Reservoir, does he still qualifies even after becoming a Dragonborn?

ILM
2011-07-19, 10:52 AM
A12: Yes and yes.

For all effects related to race, a dragonborn is considered a dragon and a member of her original race.
Emphasis mine.

dextercorvia
2011-07-19, 10:54 AM
A 12 a

Yes. While there is confusion based on the assumption that only humanoids would enter, the dominant text is that you retain creature type.

A 12 b

Yes. You retain your race, and the ability to qualify for feats,etc. based on your original race.

Edit: Ninja'd with a quote.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-19, 10:59 AM

Curmudgeon
2011-07-19, 12:20 PM
A 9

Essentially, yes. Since the Robilar's Gambit attacks of opportunity happen after the provoking action (instead of preempting them, as per usual for AoOs), each attack prompts a Robilar's Gambit attack in response. The pattern is

initial attack by A
Robilar's Gambit AoO by B
Robilar's Gambit AoO by A
repeat steps 2-3 until either A or B exhaust their maximum number of AoOs (DEX bonus +1, with Combat Reflexes), or one drops
the rest of A's turn, if still alive

Elric VIII
2011-07-19, 01:40 PM
Q 13

a)Can a Shifter cast GMF on his natural attack before he actually uses shifting?

b) Or, can a Shifter shift once, cast GMF on himself, and have it function for subsequent shifting uses (besically, does it dispel once he no longer has his claws, etc)?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-19, 01:50 PM
Q 13

a)Can a Shifter cast GMF on his natural attack before he actually uses shifting?

b) Or, can a Shifter shift once, cast GMF on himself, and have it function for subsequent shifting uses (besically, does it dispel once he no longer has his claws, etc)?

A 13
a) Yes, if you use the secondary usage of the spell, because it enchants all natural weapons of the target while in effect.. I'm unclear on the primary usage.

b) Yes. By raw, this should work. Inferring from PHB 176, "If the spell creates an effect, the effect lasts for the duration." Obviously exceptions to that include dismissible or dispelled effects, neither of which come into play.

Q 14
[a] A Rogue 1/Shadowbane Inquisitor 9/Blackguard 10 has a Fiendish Dire Lion as a "Fiendish Servant". What bonuses does it get, considering a standard Dire Lion is available to Paladins at level 8?
[b] Because it gains the special abilities of a fiendish servant, does a Blackguard's undead companion gain an Int score? Skills? Feats?

Elric VIII
2011-07-20, 12:36 AM
A 14 b

Since both the Skeletal template and the Fiendish Servant ability set the Int score, you would have to decide which is applied first.

It seems that it is first Skeletal and its Int is set to -, then the Fiendish Servant ability sets it to 6+.

Everest
2011-07-20, 12:42 AM
Since my question from last page is so far unanswered, should I assume that it was answered as one among the hundreds of questions in previous threads that was already answered, or make a thread for it so it might get the attention of someone who knows?

For the record, it was:

Q 4: If a Druid shapechanged into a hydra and burnt a use of their wild shape to use the feat Serpent's Venom (Complete Divine) to poison their bite attack, does each head (each bite) become poisonous, or only one?

If it's considered bad form in this thread to reiterate my question, I apologize.

ILM
2011-07-20, 02:50 AM
Q 4: If a Druid shapechanged into a hydra and burnt a use of their wild shape to use the feat Serpent's Venom (Complete Divine) to poison their bite attack, does each head (each bite) become poisonous, or only one?
You can't.

From CD page 79:
Activating a wild feat is a supernatural ability
On Shapechange:
You gain all extraordinary and supernatural abilities (both attacks and qualities) of the assumed form, but you lose your own supernatural abilities.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-20, 04:37 AM
Q 15

Here is a Direct Quote from Blackguard.

Lay on hands. Once per day, the blackguard can use this supernatural ability to cure himself or his fiendish servant of damage equal to his Charisma bonus × his level.

For his level, is it referring to charecter level or class level?

Kuma Kode
2011-07-20, 04:42 AM
Q 15
For his level, is it referring to charecter level or class level?
Level means class level for a class feature unless specifically saying character level.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-20, 05:16 AM
Level means class level for a class feature unless specifically saying character level.

Where does it say that?

OMG PONIES
2011-07-20, 05:48 AM
A15: the PHB glossary.

level: A measure of advancement or power applied to several areas of the game. See caster level, character level, class level, and spell level.

character level: A character’s total level. For a character with levels in only one class, class level and character level are the same thing.

class level: A character’s level in a single class. Class features generally depend on class level rather than character level.

As the last quote shows, the general rule is that class features are based on class level unless otherwise noted (see Craven).

Hazzardevil
2011-07-20, 06:39 AM
A15: the PHB glossary.

As the last quote shows, the general rule is that class features are based on class level unless otherwise noted (see Craven).

I don't really see how it explicitly says that level means class level.

KillianHawkeye
2011-07-20, 06:50 AM
I don't really see how it explicitly says that level means class level.

It states that that's generally the case. Which means that anything different from that would have to be a specific exception. The same as how magical effects are generally based on caster level, and anything different would have to be specifically mentioned.

The_Ebolanator
2011-07-20, 07:31 AM
Q16
I know certain miss chances don't stack, but what are the ones that can stack whether from spell or class feature or whatnot? (e.g. roll 50% miss, than roll 50% miss again from a different source, thereby rendering you pretty dern hard to hit)

Q17
Is it true that warlocks can choose their invocations from the dragonfire adept list so long as it isn't breath weapon-specific?

Hazzardevil
2011-07-20, 07:38 AM
Q16
I know certain miss chances don't stack, but what are the ones that can stack whether from spell or class feature or whatnot? (e.g. roll 50% miss, than roll 50% miss again from a different source, thereby rendering you pretty dern hard to hit)

Q17
Is it true that warlocks can choose their invocations from the dragonfire adept list so long as it isn't breath weapon-specific?

A16
I'm, pretty sure that's true.

A17
I'm pretty sure thats not RAW, but I think it's a reasnable houserule.-

Psyren
2011-07-20, 07:59 AM
A17

They cannot, but there is a feat (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) that lets you do so, with some heavy restrictions. I would modify it for use at a table, but that is going outside a RAW discussion.

UserClone
2011-07-20, 08:41 AM
A 16 Any spell or effect I have come across either grants concealment or grants a miss chance "as if you had (total) concealment." Since it's treated as if you had either concealment or total concealment, and those two don't stack, the most miss chance you can get is 50%. However, slap on a maximized mirror image or a greater mirror image to go with your greater invisibility and displacement, and now even those that see invisible have a 50% miss chance, then have to roll to see if they really hit you, or just dispel an image!

Ditto
2011-07-20, 08:59 AM
Q18

Can a druid's animal companion take Martial Study as a bonus feat gained with HD? There are no pre-reqs, but it just smacks of weirdness when I look at it.

Everest
2011-07-20, 09:54 AM
You can't.

Ah. Well, shapechange is really broken anyway, so no big deal. Thanks.

UserClone
2011-07-20, 11:02 AM
A18

Per RAW, yes. However, it should be noted that an animal companion has a very low intelligence, and probably couldn't "study" anything, even Tiger Claw maneuvers. So DM's call, really.

Elric VIII
2011-07-20, 12:42 PM
Q 19

Where can I find the Chaos Monk variant?

WarKitty
2011-07-20, 12:44 PM
Q20

Can you ready multiple actions with different triggering conditions? Basically, what could you do in each of the following scenarios:

(a) There are two casters on the field, could you ready an action to throw a dagger at the one that starts casting first?

(b) Could you ready an action to move and cast a cure spell on any ally that is knocked unconscious?

(c) Could you ready both of the above, whichever comes first?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-20, 12:50 PM
A20

Yes and no. You can ready two different actions, but you're still restricted to one standard, move, and swift action per round, so you can't both throw a a dagger and cast a cure spell.

WarKitty
2011-07-20, 12:53 PM
A20

Yes and no. You can ready two different actions, but you're still restricted to one standard, move, and swift action per round, so you can't both throw a a dagger and cast a cure spell.

Just for clarification, (c) was "I either throw a dagger if the mage starts casting first, or I cast a cure spell if one of my allies falls first." Only one action is being taken, but which one depends on which trigger is met first.

Zherog
2011-07-20, 12:56 PM
A 20

Readying an Action: You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition. The action occurs just before the action that triggers it. If the triggered action is part of another character’s activities, you interrupt the other character. Assuming he is still capable of doing so, he continues his actions once you complete your readied action. Your initiative result changes. For the rest of the encounter, your initiative result is the count on which you took the readied action, and you act immediately ahead of the character whose action triggered your readied action.

You can take a 5-foot step as part of your readied action, but only if you don’t otherwise move any distance during the round.

So....

A) Yes, this seems reasonable to me as a ready action.

B) No, because you can only ready a single action; you can't move and cast as part of a ready action.

C) No, because you ready a single action (throw a dagger, cast a cure spell, etc). Under this scenario, you're attempting to ready two distinct actions (disregarding that the action in (B) isn't allowed).

Elric VIII
2011-07-20, 01:00 PM
Just for clarification, (c) was "I either throw a dagger if the mage starts casting first, or I cast a cure spell if one of my allies falls first." Only one action is being taken, but which one depends on which trigger is met first.

A 20 clarification

Readying is a standard action that doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, though the action that you ready might provoke attacks of opportunity when you take that action.
You can ready a standard action, a move action, a swift action, or a free action.

As per RC it takes a standard action to ready another action. So you can only ever have one readied action.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-20, 01:51 PM
A 19

Chaos Monk is in Dragon # 335 on page 89.

dextercorvia
2011-07-20, 02:55 PM
A 16 Any spell or effect I have come across either grants concealment or grants a miss chance "as if you had (total) concealment." Since it's treated as if you had either concealment or total concealment, and those two don't stack, the most miss chance you can get is 50%. However, slap on a maximized mirror image or a greater mirror image to go with your greater invisibility and displacement, and now even those that see invisible have a 50% miss chance, then have to roll to see if they really hit you, or just dispel an image!

A 16, Clarification
According to the Rules Compendium, page 32, all miss chances overlap rather than stack. Prior to this, I believe that it was only concealment that overlapped, while other forms of miss chance could stack.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-20, 03:22 PM
Q21

Can an Epic Binder resist the influence of the Epic Vestiges, or does the lack of a Binding DC mean that they automatically succumb?

Q22

Can a multiclass Specialist Wizard/Sorcerer learn Sorcerer spells known in their barred Wizard school?

eg. can a Diviner barring Necromancy learn Animate Dead as a Sorcerer spell?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-20, 08:55 PM
Re: A 16, Clarification

According to the Rules Compendium, page 32, all miss chances overlap rather than stack. Prior to this, I believe that it was only concealment that overlapped, while other forms of miss chance could stack.
That's only the first of two Rules Compendium changes regarding miss chances. In addition to this one, RC also (on the same page) formalized a DM option to adjust miss chances ("Degrees of Concealment"). A DM who prefers to stick to the core rules regarding miss chance stacking can use this Rules Compendium rule to raise the miss chance to match the core (stacking) percentage instead. So talk to your DM.

A 22 Yes.

Those spells are available only for Sorcerer casting, of course.

Thurbane
2011-07-20, 09:13 PM
Q 23

Besides the various varieties of Warforged, what is the lowest ECL playable construct race? (i.e. base races/creatures, not templated).

Cog
2011-07-20, 10:38 PM
A 23
The Exiled Modron, from Dragon 354, is also ECL +0 +1.

UserClone
2011-07-20, 11:42 PM
A 23, Correction

The exiled modron is LA +1.

ILM
2011-07-21, 02:36 AM
Q24: On Shadow Evocation and Shadowcraft Mages: Say you lob a shadow fireball at someone. Let's say that you have 22 int and Spell Focus: Illusion. The DC to disbelieve would be 10 +5 (spell level) +6 (int) +1 (feat) = 22.

What would the DC for the reflex save be? Shadow Evocation specifically says you use "Shadow Evocation’s level (5th) rather than the spell’s normal level." My question is this: does Spell Focus: Illusion (and other illusion DC improving feats/abilities/items) apply to the reflex save DC or would you still need Spell Focus: Evocation?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-21, 03:59 AM
A 24

I'm assuming from your question that INT is the spellcasting stat for spell DCs, though that's not required for either Shadowcraft Mage or the Shadow Evocation spell. (A Sorcerer, or a Cleric with the Shadow domain, would both be possibilities for the question you posed.)

The save DC for Fireball via Shadow Evocation would be 10 + 5 (Shadow Evocation spell level) + 6 (spellcasting stat modifier) = 21. Spell Focus (illusion) has no impact on evocation spells, even quasi-real ones; only the spell level is boosted by Shadow Evocation for this Fireball's Reflex save DC.

Jon_Dahl
2011-07-21, 04:30 AM
Q 25

Shooting or Throwing into a Melee

If you shoot or throw a ranged weapon at a target engaged in melee with a friendly character, you take a -4 penalty on your attack roll. Two characters are engaged in melee if they are enemies of each other and either threatens the other. (An unconscious or otherwise immobilized character is not considered engaged unless he is actually being attacked.)

If your target (or the part of your target you’re aiming at, if it’s a big target) is at least 10 feet away from the nearest friendly character, you can avoid the -4 penalty, even if the creature you’re aiming at is engaged in melee with a friendly character.

Does this apply to spells requiring ranged attack rolls and splash weapons also?

ILM
2011-07-21, 05:21 AM
The save DC for Fireball via Shadow Evocation would be 10 + 5 (Shadow Evocation spell level) + 6 (spellcasting stat modifier) = 21. Spell Focus (illusion) has no impact on evocation spells, even quasi-real ones; only the spell level is boosted by Shadow Evocation for this Fireball's Reflex save DC.
Q24 cont'd: On the other hand, spell focus says:

Add +1 to the Difficulty Class for all saving throws against spells from the school of magic you select.
And the spell is an Illusion spell, even if it's mimicking Evocation...

Curmudgeon
2011-07-21, 05:53 AM
Q24 cont'd: On the other hand, spell focus says:

And the spell is an Illusion spell, even if it's mimicking Evocation...
The disbelief saving throw for Shadow Evocation is for an Illusion spell. However, the saving throw for the spell being simulated is not.
Regardless of the result of the save to disbelieve, an affected creature is also allowed any save (or spell resistance) that the spell being simulated allows, but the save DC is set according to shadow evocation’s level (5th) rather than the spell’s normal level. The saving throw Fireball allows is, excepting the explicit change to the spell level, set according to the usual rules. Spell Focus (Illusion) provides no benefit when determining the save DC for Fireball (an Evocation spell).

A 25 Yes.

That's a general rule, so it applies generally to all ranged attacks.

Username_too_lo
2011-07-21, 06:15 AM
Q26

In the writeup for Stony Grasp (And it's cellar-dwelling runt of a brother Earthen Grasp) it states that Spell Resistance applies.

How does this work? It's not an effect against the individual, per se. You're just making a dirty great fist which likes to crush things.

And does this mean that each grapple attach has to penetrate SR, or just that anything summoned on the same square as the SRed creature has to penetrate their SR to work - what if it's 5ft away? What if it's 10ft away?

(Yes, this may look familiar. 12 tyre kickers and no takers on its own, so I thought I'd chance the main thread)

Curmudgeon
2011-07-21, 06:48 AM
A 26
Spell Resistance

Spell resistance is a special defensive ability. If your spell is being resisted by a creature with spell resistance, you must make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level) at least equal to the creature’s spell resistance for the spell to affect that creature. The defender’s spell resistance is like an Armor Class against magical attacks. Include any adjustments to your caster level to this caster level check. You make a caster level check to affect a creature with a spell, not one check per grapple attempt.
This spell functions like earthen grasp (page 76), except as noted here.
If the arm can target multiple creatures, you choose one. If you are unable to choose a target, the arm attacks a random creature within reach (possibly including your allies). As the Earthen Grasp description notes, you're either targeting a particular creature, or the spell randomly targets one. Targeted spells specifying "Spell Resistance: Yes" (even those without a Target: tag) must overcome spell resistance to affect a creature.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-21, 07:18 AM
Q27

Does it say anywhere what happens when a familiar gains class levels (or if it can't)?

UserClone
2011-07-21, 07:28 AM
A27
A familiar is no longer a separate creature, per se, but in many ways becomes simply an extension of the caster's will. For example, it has half your current hp and attacks with your BAB, and it uses your saves, unless its own would normally have been higher (not usually the case). Advancement is per the Familiar Advancement table. It cannot gain class levels of its own.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-21, 07:35 AM
Q27 cont

It's still its own creature, just linked to you by a class feature or a feat. Many of the Improved Familiars could be PC races. (Imp, Quasit, whatever).

So what would happen if said familiar was away from its master for a while, or its master died and it stopped being his familiar, and the familiar gained class levels before its master returned? Only RAW answers please.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-21, 07:37 AM
Q27

Does it say anywhere what happens when a familiar gains class levels (or if it can't)?

A27
I don't believe they can.

Familiar Basics
Use the basic statistics for a creature of the familiar’s kind, but make the following changes:

Hit Dice
For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.

Nowhere does it say anything about gaining class levels. A familiar advances using the chart in the PHB. A familiar also uses the basic statistics of the familiar's kind. Class levels would not be included as basic statistics. A familiar with class levels would be a cohort.

A27
Continued
It couldn't when it returned.

A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was, but it is treated as a magical beast instead of an animal for the purpose of any effect that depends on its type. Only a normal, unmodified animal may become a familiar

Keld Denar
2011-07-21, 12:24 PM
Q 28

A Wilder3 uses Wild Surge on Energy Ray (1st level power). Wild Surge gives him a ML of 4 WRT that Energy Ray. How many PP does the Wilder pay for a fully augmented ML4 Energy Ray? Would it be 1 (base cost of Energy Ray), or 3 (cost of augmented Energy Ray minus Wild Surge). I ask because this phrase is kinda...wonky:

In all cases, the wild surge effectively pays the extra power point cost that is normally required to augment the power; only the unaugmented power point cost is subtracted from the wilder’s power point reserve.
I'd prefer some kind of actual rules citation or interpretation. I'm 90% sure that the correct answer is 3 (Wild Surge SHOULD only pay for the amount it augments, IE Wild Surge +1 pays 1 point, Wild Surge +2 pays 2 points, etc), but that last paragraph is kinda...wierd.

Caylus
2011-07-21, 01:09 PM
Q29
Should Expeditious messenger of ECS have weapon finesse as a bonus feat?
I'm trying to figure out how the sting attack gets +7 to attack, and it seems like it's +4 size +3 dex, but it doesn't have weapon finesse. And somehow it doesn't get a -5 penalty on damage...
Is there a rule that says monsters with 1 strength use dexterity on attacks?

Yora
2011-07-21, 02:58 PM
A28: You are in fact right and a Wilder 3 with Wild Surge +1 would indeed pay 3 pp to manifest a power at 4 pp.

A wilder can choose to invoke a wild surge whenever she manifests a power. When she does so, she gains +1 to her manifester level with that manifestation of the power. The manifester level boost gives her the ability to augment her powers to a higher degree than she otherwise could; however, she pays no extra power point for this wild surge. Instead, the additional 1 power point that would normally be required to augment the power is effectively supplied by the wild surge.
It refers only to the cost for the wild surge augmentation, not to any additional augmentation you are doing normally.

@29: You seem to be completely right. The attack bonus is calculated as if it had Weapon Finesse and it does lack the strength penalty to damage, and there is no special ability in its description or in the construct type. This seems to be an error, though it's not adressed by the errata.

Delcor
2011-07-21, 03:26 PM
Q30

Is Mind Rape an actual spell? Or is that some kind of nickname? What does it or the actual spell do?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-21, 03:29 PM
Q30

Is Mind Rape an actual spell? Or is that some kind of nickname? What does it or the actual spell do?

A30

Yes, its an actual spell, from Book of Vile Darkness, I believe. I can't tell you exactly what it does, as its not OGL, but essentially it replaces the memories of the target. I am going to check now to see if I can give you a more comprehensive description.

A30 Clarification
Mindrape, one word.
9th level Sorc/Wizard. Learns everything the target knew, can erase or add memories as desired, change emotions, opinions, and alignment if desired. When done, she can wrap it up with an Insanity Effect. Otherwise, the target has no clue what happened.

Changes to memories and subtle thoughts need a miracle or wish to fix, though I think Break Enchantment and Atonement can fix alignment.

Douglas
2011-07-21, 03:33 PM
A30

It is an actual spell from the Book of Vile Darkness. It allows you to learn anything and everything the target knows and simultaneously do whatever you want with the target's mind, memories, and personality - all as a standard action.

Ditto
2011-07-21, 03:47 PM
Q31

A) Are there more detailed rules for identifying unknown potions than 'maybe it tastes like almonds', as the rules helpfully suggest?

B) What about identifying the spell contained in a wand? Any way besides using the Identify spell (or the like)? Can you activate a wand without knowing what's inside and just see what happens?

Zherog
2011-07-21, 03:50 PM
A 31a, partial

A Spellcraft check against a DC of 25 will ID any potion. It takes 1 minute and cannot be retried.

Everest
2011-07-21, 05:24 PM
Q 32: When shapechanged into a creature that can cast as [x] spellcasting class, do you have to use the typically-prepared/known spells, or can you choose which spells you use? Or, considering that you can only shapechange into something you're familiar with, would it depend on the creature that you encountered?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-21, 06:08 PM
A 32

You use the spells listed in the creature description, unless you continuously maintain the shape long enough to learn new spells and prepare them as per the standard spell rules. Your DM may make available creatures with different spell lists; should you become familiar with those particular creatures, you would use their spell lists when you Shapechange to assume their form, instead of the standard list for that creature type.

Delcor
2011-07-21, 07:30 PM
Q33

What does tl;dr stand for?

Douglas
2011-07-21, 07:42 PM
A33

Too Long; Didn't Read.

Jon_Dahl
2011-07-22, 12:42 AM
Q 34

Does a Pearly White Ioun Stone regenerate limbs, organs and other body parts?

Delcor
2011-07-22, 12:47 AM
Q35

Break Enchantment: It claims as I read it that it can remove effects of 5th level or lower that cannot be gotten by dispel magic. Then it gives the example that flesh to stone can be broken by break enchantment. However, flesh to stone is a 6th level spell that cannot be gotten by dispel magic. So how does this work?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-22, 12:48 AM
A 34

Yes, because it acts like a ring of regeneration.

Delcor
2011-07-22, 01:26 AM
A34 cont...

Keep in mind though that the ioun stone must be active around your head when you lose the limb to regain it; because like a ring of regeneration, the ioun stone can only regenerate damage that was taken whilst it was equipped.

Psyren
2011-07-22, 01:37 AM
Q35

Break Enchantment: It claims as I read it that it can remove effects of 5th level or lower that cannot be gotten by dispel magic. Then it gives the example that flesh to stone can be broken by break enchantment. However, flesh to stone is a 6th level spell that cannot be gotten by dispel magic. So how does this work?

A35

Break Enchantment works on Flesh to Stone due to the first part of the spell, not the second.

In other words, because of this:

Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect. For each such effect, you make a caster level check (1d20 + caster level, maximum +15) against a DC of 11 + caster level of the effect. Success means that the creature is free of the spell, curse, or effect. For a cursed magic item, the DC is 25.

Not because of this:

If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower.

The second clause doesn't even come up, because flesh to stone is instantaneous - there is no longer a "spell" active on the target. That is why dispel magic doesn't work, not because it is a special spell that resists dispel magic.

Yora
2011-07-22, 06:12 AM
@35: But instantaneous spells can't be affected by dispel magic. Only permanent effect can. So I would also assume that Break Enchantment can't remove Flesh to Stone.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-22, 07:44 AM
@35: But instantaneous spells can't be affected by dispel magic. Only permanent effect can. So I would also assume that Break Enchantment can't remove Flesh to Stone.
Why would you assume that? It's explicit in the spell. From page 207 of Player's Handbook:
This spell frees victims from enchantments, transmutations, and curses. Break enchantment can reverse even an instantaneous effect, such as flesh to stone. The SRD removes that example, but doesn't change the substance of the spell in any way.

Psyren has done a commendable job of explaining the two categories of effects that Break Enchantment works against. Instantaneous spell results and Dispel Magic-immune spells are separate categories. Since you're confusing these two capabilities of Break Enchantment, I suggest you give Psyren's post a closer read.

Fitz10019
2011-07-22, 09:43 AM
Q36

Do bows [read: longbows, shortbows, crossbows, etc.] count as two-handed weapons with regard to buckler use? Specifically, does the buckler's AC no longer count towards your character's AC in the same round that you use your bucklered arm to fire you bow? I disagree with someone who is giving a very broad reading to the 'with no penalty' clause.

Citing: Buckler (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor#buckler)

Cog
2011-07-22, 09:55 AM
A 36
You can use the weapon without penalty. The character could engage in archery normally and still benefit from the buckler's AC bonus.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-22, 10:19 AM
Re: A 36
Light, One-Handed, and Two-Handed Melee Weapons

This designation is a measure of how much effort it takes to wield a weapon in combat. It indicates whether a melee weapon, when wielded by a character of the weapon’s size category, is considered a light weapon, a one-handed weapon, or a two-handed weapon. "Two-handed weapon" is a melee weapon categorization. While bows do actually take two hands to use, they're not subject to the buckler melee weapon limitation because they're in the ranged weapon category instead.

Sylivin
2011-07-22, 10:46 PM
Q 37

This is regarding the order of armed and natural attacks on a full attack action. Let's assume I have a two handed sword and a bite attack and two claw attacks and enough appendages to make them all function at the same time (four arms.. whatever). The two handed sword is now the "primary" attack, and all the natural weapons become secondary attacks at a -5 (and half strength damage).

My question is in regard to the order of attacks on a full attack action. Could I, for example, use the natural attacks first (still at the -5 penalty) and then follow up with the sword attack last?

The closest rule I could find is this:

Full attack: If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. If you are using two weapons, you can strike with either weapon first. If you are using a double weapon, you can strike with either part of the weapon first.

As natural weapons do not get iterative attacks it would appear to be closer to the rule regarding using two weapons and allowing either one to attack first. However, natural attacks are not mentioned there so I am merely interpreting it rather than seeing anything in "RAW." Is there an actual rule on this or does order of attacks not matter in a full attack as long as you make your iterative attacks from highest to lowest?

Thanks for the help!

Curmudgeon
2011-07-22, 11:38 PM
A 37

Primary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/primary) attacks must precede secondary (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/secondary) attacks; that's inherent in the definitions of those terms. From page 299 of Monster Manual:
Natural and Manufactured Weapons: If a creature has both a manufactured weapon and natural weapons, it usually uses its manufactured weapon as its primary attack (and receives multiple attacks with that weapon, if its base attack bonus is +6 or higher), and uses its natural weapons as secondary attacks (–5 penalty on attack rolls, and 1/2 Strength bonus on damage rolls).
The attack order rule
If you get multiple attacks because your base attack bonus is high enough, you must make the attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest. is conditional on having multiple attacks because of high BAB, but the RAW does not say that this order rule is only applicable to iterative attacks.

Putting these various definitions and rules together:

If you have only natural weapons, or both manufactured and natural weapons but BAB of less than +6, you use the primary weapon(s) first, and then secondary weapon(s) in whatever order you wish.
If you have both manufactured and natural weapons and BAB of +6 or more, you make attacks in order from highest bonus to lowest, regardless of the type of weapon, with primary attack(s) always preceding secondary attack(s).

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 06:19 AM
Q 38

a) Are you considered an allied creature with regards to the targetting of Snake's Swiftness?

b) If not, can the Shifter Druid's Beast Spirit use its ability to cast a spell in order to cast Snake's Swiftness on the Druid or are they considered the same creature?

EDIT: I can totally count.

Taelas
2011-07-23, 07:06 AM
A38:

You are considered an ally to yourself unless the description specifies otherwise.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-23, 07:19 AM
Q39
If you have taken Two-weapon fighting and haft strike ftrom Dragon 331 and then Weild a one-handed polearm with a sword, can you attack with both ends of the polearm and the sword?

A38

A38:

You are considered an ally to yourself unless the description specifies otherwise.

Which creates a Mindscrew when you use Whiteraven Tactics on a Crusader where you could potentially have 3 rounds of action in a row.

Yora
2011-07-23, 07:21 AM
A39: No, that would be attacking with three weapons, which TWF does not allow.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-23, 07:22 AM
A39: No, that would be attacking with three weapons, which TWF does not allow.

Q40
Is there a way to attack with all 3?

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 07:24 AM
A 39

The feat specifically states that you need to be wielding the polearm two-handed. So this is not really possible.

Yora
2011-07-23, 07:32 AM
A40: For that you would have to have three or more arms. Then you could use the Multiattack feats for monsters.

DeltaEmil
2011-07-23, 08:38 AM
Q 41

If you had the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat, but not the Improved Grapple Feat, do you still provoke an Attack of Opportunity if trying to grapple an enemy?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-23, 08:49 AM
Q 41

If you had the Improved Unarmed Strike Feat, but not the Improved Grapple Feat, do you still provoke an Attack of Opportunity if trying to grapple an enemy?

A41

Yes.
I don't see anything to the contrary. Grappling only mentions Improved Grapple as an exemption to the Attack of Opportunity. The only other exceptions that come to mind are Improved Grab and Snatch, and those specifically mention the exemption. Nothing in Improved Unarmed Strike suggests any such privelege. Considering all Monks have IUS, I would find it hard to believe that they 'meant' for the feat to allow exemption but forgot to spell it out.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 10:30 AM
Q 42

Can a spell with a duration of "permanent" be dispelled?

I am referring, specifically, to the BoED spell Axiomatic Creature.

Zherog
2011-07-23, 10:57 AM
A 42

Yes. Permanent durations can be dispelled. That's because the magic remains causing the effect to stay in place.

UserClone
2011-07-23, 11:12 AM
A 42, Clarification.

The only place Permanent spells are explicitly discussed is in the description of the permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) spell.

However, since they are not excepted, as are Instantaneous spells, they should fall under the same rules as any other spell, which is to say they end as if their duration had expired. :checks duration: Okay, this one doesn't expire...

That's why the only way to make any sense of it is to use the rule out of permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm): This [referring to the use of a spell on oneself] application of permanency can be dispelled only by a caster of higher level than you were when you cast the spell.

In addition to personal use, permanency can be used to make the following spells permanent on yourself, another creature, or an object (as appropriate). Spells cast on other creatures, objects, or locations (not on you) are vulnerable to dispel magic as normal.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-23, 11:15 AM
Q43
Can you maximise the spell Reincarnate?

Zherog
2011-07-23, 12:21 PM
A 42 additional

Sorry, UserClone. But your statement that it's not discussed anywhere is incorrect.

Permanent The energy remains as long as the effect does. This means the spell is vulnerable to dispel magic.

edit: the same text can be found in the PHB, page 176, second column.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-23, 03:35 PM
Q44

How much does it cost to make a custom magic item that grants Damage Reduction?

UserClone
2011-07-23, 04:01 PM
RE: 42

Thanks for that correction. I love learning something new! :smallbiggrin:

A43:

No. The answer is no. The reason is that Maximize spell only influences a spell's variable, numeric effects (which means both variable AND numeric). While the effect of reincarnate is indeed variable, it is in no way numeric, so Maximize Spell doesn't affect it.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-23, 04:44 PM
A 42 additional info

After application of Permanency, two spells are active on the character: the original spell altered to permanent duration, and Permanency (also with permanent duration). After the regular duration of the original spell has passed, dispelling either that spell (using the standard rules) or Permanency itself (using the specific rules for Permanency) will end the original spell.

A 44 Talk to your DM.

Damage reduction isn't a general magic item property, so your individual DM will have to decide how to price such a custom item. The axeblock, hammerblock, and spearblock armor properties in Magic Item Compendium all provide damage reduction and may be of interest in helping your DM determine the cost.

Re: A 43

Reincarnate provides a table which has a numeric ranking of humanoid incarnations. The maximum value of those incarnations is 100, which is equivalent to "Other" (i.e., DM's choice of a humanoid race not listed on the table). So Maximize Spell applies to Reincarnate if your DM views this as a numeric result. Talk to your DM.

Elric VIII
2011-07-23, 05:14 PM
Q 42 clarification

I'm not sure if it matters, but the spell is not being kept in place by Permanency, it is permanent by itself.

Zherog
2011-07-23, 05:29 PM
Q 42 clarification

I'm not sure if it matters, but the spell is not being kept in place by Permanency, it is permanent by itself.

A 42, additional

Then it can be dispelled, as per the quote I provided earlier.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-23, 05:42 PM
Q 42 clarification

That's not what Permanency says:
This spell makes certain other spells permanent. That means that if Permanency is dispelled, there's no longer anything to make the other spell permanent.

Remember: Permanancy is a permanent, not instantaneous, effect, so it only makes other spells permanent while it lasts.

Zherog
2011-07-23, 05:49 PM
A 42 additional

Curmudgeon - you may want to reread his most recent post again. He's saying the permanency spell has nothing to do with his question -- the spell he's asking about has a duration of Permanent on its own.

UserClone
2011-07-23, 06:17 PM
A 43, Clarification:

With this spell, you bring back a dead creature in another body, provided that its death occurred no more than one week before the casting of the spell and the subject’s soul is free and willing to return...For a humanoid creature, the new incarnation is determined using the following table.

So the effect then is not whatever number you get, but the result itself merely determines which effect (the new incarnation) you receive.

All variable, numeric effects of a spell modified by this feat are maximized.

There is no argument that since "variable, numeric" is written as a list, both of these criteria must be met.

Got it. So, since the effect (reincarnation into a given species) is not numeric (though I don't argue that it is certainly variable), the feat simply doesn't apply, per RAW.

You could ask your DM to house rule that it works that way, but it wasn't written that way.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-23, 06:52 PM
A 42 additional

Curmudgeon - you may want to reread his most recent post again. He's saying the permanency spell has nothing to do with his question -- the spell he's asking about has a duration of Permanent on its own.
Ah, got it. Sorry for the confusion.

sreservoir
2011-07-23, 07:15 PM
A 43 no.

while the reincarnate has both variable and numeric effects, it has no variable numeric effects.

ed: wow, I shouldn't answer questions I loaded hours ago.

UserClone
2011-07-23, 07:17 PM
Ah, got it. Sorry for the confusion.

That was my fault. I hadn't known there was a specific reference to dispel magic in the SRD regarding Permanent duration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#duration), and so I figured permanency was the only RAW reference.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-23, 07:28 PM
Related to 43

Q45

Is there any reason by RAW that Awaken can't be Maximized?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 07:33 PM
A 45

No, you can maximize it.

Douglas
2011-07-23, 11:32 PM
A45 comment

An epic character with the right feats could even Intensify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#intensifySpell) it, resulting in an awakened tree with 36 for all mental ability scores. Using this on an animal is considerably less impressive, as wisdom is unchanged and charisma would only get a +6 increase.

UserClone
2011-07-24, 12:18 AM
A45 comment

An epic character with the right feats could even Intensify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#intensifySpell) it, resulting in an awakened tree with 36 for all mental ability scores. Using this on an animal is considerably less impressive, as wisdom is unchanged and charisma would only get a +6 increase.

...you have Epic Magic. You already beat D&D. Awakened trees with 36 in all their mental stats is the LEAST of your DM's problems by this point.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-07-24, 04:03 AM
Q46 (multiple, but same theme)

Does a level 1 Sorcerer with Heighten Spell and Versatile Spellcaster count as being able to cast level 2 arcane spells? Does being able to cast a heightened burning hands (a level 2 fire spell) qualify him to take the Fiery Burst reserve feat? If he (somehow) had a flat -1 reduction in metamagic costs but no Versatile Spellcaster, would this change the previous answers?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 04:30 AM
A 46

Does a level 1 Sorcerer with Heighten Spell and Versatile Spellcaster count as being able to cast level 2 arcane spells?
That depends on the Sorcerer's spells known and bonus spells, and the DM involved. Each use of Versatile Spellcaster requires 2 spell slots at one level lower than the level of the desired spell, and knowledge of the desired spell. To cast level 2 spells (plural) in this manner you would need at least 4 level 1 spell slots (Sorcerers get only 3 by default), and knowledge of at least 2 2nd level arcane spells. While Heighten Spell "actually increases the effective level of the spell that it modifies", knowledge of an effective 2nd level spell isn't necessarily the same as knowledge of a 2nd level spell, so you'd also have to get concurrence from your individual DM.

Does being able to cast a heightened burning hands (a level 2 fire spell) qualify him to take the Fiery Burst reserve feat?
By itself, no. Fiery Burst requires "Ability to cast 2nd-level spells" (plural) and Burning Hands with Heighten Spell for +1 level is only a single 2nd level spell.

If he (somehow) had a flat -1 reduction in metamagic costs but no Versatile Spellcaster, would this change the previous answers? No.

ILM
2011-07-24, 04:51 AM
A46, dispute: Curmugeon, much of your argument relies on the literal interpretation that whenever a book states "ability to cast x-level spells" as a prerequisite, you need to be able to cast at least two different x-level spells (as opposed to one spell multiple times a day, for instance). This tends to delay Sorcerers entering PrCs by one more level (since they already lose out for being one level behind Wizards) as they typically only get 1 spell known when accessing a new spell level. Do you stand by this?

UserClone
2011-07-24, 07:03 AM
A 46, comment

I will have to agree with Curmudgeon. There really isn't any ambiguity to his argument, and trying to flippantly screw around with metamagic feats and the like in order to fit the prereqs for something goes against the spirit of the game, as well as (more pertinently to this thread) RAW.

Also, Wizards are hardly the yardstick by which balance should be measured...

Fitz10019
2011-07-24, 07:20 AM
Q47
How do the abilities Improved Grab (and Scorpion's Grasp) interact with the rule regarding ranged attacks into grapple? Specifically, can it eliminate an archer's possibility to hit an ally?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 07:24 AM
A46, dispute: Curmugeon, much of your argument relies on the literal interpretation that whenever a book states "ability to cast x-level spells" as a prerequisite, you need to be able to cast at least two different x-level spells (as opposed to one spell multiple times a day, for instance). ... Do you stand by this?
Yes, I follow the RAW when it uses plurals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural) instead of a phrase like "at least one". There's precedent in the RAW to indicate that the authors use different language when they require only the ability to cast a single spell.
Spells: Able to cast at least one summoning spell of 3rd level or higher.
Spells: Able to cast at least one divine spell from one of the following domains’ spell lists: Destruction, Protection, Strength, or War.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-24, 07:35 AM
Q47
How do the abilities Improved Grab (and Scorpion's Grasp) interact with the rule regarding ranged attacks into grapple? Specifically, can it eliminate an archer's possibility to hit an ally?

Improved Grab allows a creature to automatically attempt to initiate a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity provided certain conditions are met. Unless it says otherwise, it follows the normal grapple rules, including the possibility that the improved grabber's allies could hit it accidentally.

ILM
2011-07-24, 07:39 AM
Yes, I follow the RAW when it uses plurals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plural) instead of a phrase like "at least one". There's precedent in the RAW to indicate that the authors use different language when they require only the ability to cast a single spell.
Okay, just wanted to make sure. I see the logic though personally in this case I choose to ignore it :smallsmile:.

@UserClone: I wasn't really talking about early entry shenanigans, but rather how using Curmudgeon's reading, a Sorcerer can't enter most (or at least a good number of) arcane PrCs before level 8 - which bites since an equivalent Wizard could at level 6.

Fitz10019
2011-07-24, 08:20 AM
Unnumbered A47, disputed
Excuse me, I'm looking for a RAW answer, based on a full reading of the rules.

I'm referring to the full definition of Improved Grab (Monster Manual, p310), including the option to hold an opponent using only part of the body, and so not to be considered grappled; and to Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm, p52), which has similar text. Does using this option eliminate an archer's possibility to hit an ally?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-24, 08:39 AM
Q47

Improved Grab allows a creature to automatically attempt to initiate a grapple without provoking an attack of opportunity provided certain conditions are met. Unless it says otherwise, it follows the normal grapple rules, including the possibility that the improved grabber's allies could hit it accidentally.

Unnumbered A47, disputed

I'm referring to the full definition of Improved Grab (Monster Manual, p310), including the option to hold an opponent using only part of the body, and so not to be considered grappled; and to Scorpion's Grasp (Sandstorm, p52), which has similar text. Does using this option eliminate an archer's possibility to hit an ally?

A47, Yes Disputed

Going by RAW, the penalty to attack rolls is imposed upon someone firing a ranged weapon at a target who is involved in a grapple. The creature with Improved Grab or Scorpion's Grasp is not considered grappled, but the opposing creature is.

Furthemore, the footnote for Combat Modifiers says

Roll randomly to see which grappling combatant you strike. That defender loses any Dexterity bonus to AC. If you fire at the held creature, you would roll randomly. But the held creature is the only one considered grappling, so that is your only option. If you fire at the holding creature, you are not shooting at a grappling creature and so resolve the attack normally.

UserClone
2011-07-24, 09:02 AM
A 47, Additional.

Also, The creature using Improved Grab or Scorpion's Grasp does not lose Dex to AC.

Kuma Kode
2011-07-24, 09:05 AM
Unnumbered A47, disputed

Ah. I mistook your question as asking if possessing Improved Grab somehow prevented that. My mistake.

Yes, if you are not considered grappled, the grapple rules don't apply. Ursus is correct.

Fitz10019
2011-07-24, 09:37 AM
Q48
Can you designate your dodge opponent when you make an Attack of Opportunity? Citing: "You can select a new opponent on any action."

Yora
2011-07-24, 10:06 AM
A48: Attacks of Opportunity are neither standard actions nor free actions (and not immediate actions either) and I believe are never called actions in RAW. I'm pretty sure the answer is no.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 11:15 AM
Re: A 48

Rules Compendium categorizes an attack of opportunity as "no action" (page 8). Of course, that distinction's actually not relevant unless you're taking an AoO when it's already your turn (which would probably be on an AoO triggered by an AoO you provoked).
Benefit: During your action, you designate an opponent and receive a +1 dodge bonus to Armor Class against attacks from that opponent. You can select a new opponent on any action. Most of the time when you're making an AoO it's on someone else's action.

Fitz10019
2011-07-24, 11:59 AM
A48, contested (corner case)
I believe the Dodge description is distinguishing between when you designate your dodge opponent (during your turn), and when you can select a new opponent (any action).

With an AoO, you can use special attacks, such as trip and grapple.

With Improved Grab (or Scorpion's Grasp) you can start a grapple as a free action as a result of a successful melee hit (possibly as a result of an AoO).

If an action is required to select a new opponent [Yora's point], would a free action during an AoO qualify as a chance to select a new opponent?

UserClone
2011-07-24, 12:13 PM
A 48, Rebuttal

No, because the AOO itself is not an action. Also, "your action" is essentially synonymous with "your turn."

You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action.

Your initiative result becomes the count on which you took the delayed action. If you come to your next action and have not yet performed an action, you don’t get to take a delayed action (though you can delay again).

You can ready a standard action, a move action, or a free action. To do so, specify the action you will take and the conditions under which you will take it. Then, any time before your next action, you may take the readied action in response to that condition.

Emphasis mine.

Draxar
2011-07-24, 01:22 PM
Q49

A Favoured Soul gets Weapon Proficiency, then later Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialisation in their Deity's favoured weapon.

What happens if they start following a different god?

Cog
2011-07-24, 03:42 PM
A 49:
Nothing. Any Favored Soul is a Favored Soul of (Deity Here); that's a function of the class, not the character's worship habits. A Favored Soul of Kord who starts thinking that , hey, that Hextor guy sounds pretty cool, is still a Favored Soul of Kord and gains class features accordingly. Those levels would need to be rebuilt (see the rules in PHB 2) to gain different proficiencies in their place.

It's worth noting that Favored Soul does not have an ex-class member description, unlike Clerics.

CommodoreCrunch
2011-07-24, 04:36 PM
Q 50
What happens when you put a bag of holding (or handy haversack, etc) inside another bag of holding? I know what happens with BoH and Portable Holes, but I've never seen a mention of other extra-dimensional spaces interacting with each other.

Obahai
2011-07-24, 04:39 PM
Q51.

What is the crit multiplier on a warlock's eldritch blast?

CommodoreCrunch
2011-07-24, 04:43 PM
A 51 Unless otherwise specified, the threat range on an attack roll is 20 and the multiplier is x2. (Player's Handbook, p140)

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-24, 04:50 PM
Q 50
What happens when you put a bag of holding (or handy haversack, etc) inside another bag of holding? I know what happens with BoH and Portable Holes, but I've never seen a mention of other extra-dimensional spaces interacting with each other.

A50

Nothing specifically spectacular that I see in RAW. However note that Bags have physical dimensions and measurement. It may not be possible to put certain bags inside others based on physical sizes. Each Bag also has a static weight and volume that will accumulate as a normal item put inside the larger bag. Retrieving items from the smaller bag would also be difficult because you have to search through the primary bag and then the secondary bag, doubling the time it takes to retrieve a given item.

Groverfield
2011-07-24, 05:23 PM
A51: It's 20 x2, as CmdCrc had said, and they also mention it specifically in CArc when they mention that spells and rays have 20 x2 crit when not mentioned, provided they have attack rolls to make, so eldritch cone and eldritch doom (?? the emanation one) do not crit ever because they do not have attack rolls.

Q52: Are there any rules/feats for sharing spells with a character instead of your familiar?

Elric VIII
2011-07-24, 06:51 PM
Q 53

a) Can a martial maneuver count for its own prerequisites?
For instance, can I learn Emerald Razor (requires 1 Diamond Mind maneuver) at Warblade 3, then use the ability to replace a maneuver at 4th level to replace the maneuver that I used to qualify for ER?

b) Similar to the above, can I take Martial Study to learn Moment of Perfect Mind (no prereqs), then take it again to learn Emerald Razor, then use the PHB2 rules to retrain the first Martial Study, and still br able to use ER?

Groverfield
2011-07-24, 07:41 PM
A53)a) No, otherwise you'd also be able to use the skills /feats you gain from your next level to qualify for a PrC that you've not entered yet.
b) You'd lose the ability to use or benefit from features you no longer meet the prerequisites for until you qualify for them again (If you retrain power attack to point blank shot, you can't use cleave until you have power attack again.) Also, if you retrain away power attack, you don't technically have cleave (which requires power attack) for the moment of your new feat, so you couldn't take greater cleave even if you met all other prereqs.
There's a better example of this, but I can't think of it.

Elric VIII
2011-07-24, 08:07 PM
A53)a) No, otherwise you'd also be able to use the skills /feats you gain from your next level to qualify for a PrC that you've not entered yet.
b) You'd lose the ability to use or benefit from features you no longer meet the prerequisites for until you qualify for them again (If you retrain power attack to point blank shot, you can't use cleave until you have power attack again.) Also, if you retrain away power attack, you don't technically have cleave (which requires power attack) for the moment of your new feat, so you couldn't take greater cleave even if you met all other prereqs.
There's a better example of this, but I can't think of it.

The thing is, you still meet the prerequisites of knowing one maneuver from school X.

This is more akin to getting into Fochlucan Lyrist using a Ring of Evasion, then taking 2 levels of Rogue and selling the ring. Which does work.

Asmodeus 9
2011-07-24, 08:22 PM
A52: I haven't heard of a real share spells for other characters.
But there are several ways to affect you and another character with a single casting of a spell.
- Chain Spell metamagic feat (CAr 76) ... (nice with buffs like Greater Magic Weapon)
- Eldritch Tapestry of the War Weaver (HoB 112)
- Blade Brothers spell (PHB2 103) ... (theoretically this is a share spells, but the chances are bad)

Q54: How many common (those for 2305gp) +1 spiked gauntlets can a marilith (MM p. 44) wield? And why?

Groverfield
2011-07-24, 08:23 PM
The thing is, you still meet the prerequisites of knowing one maneuver from school X.

This is more akin to getting into Fochlucan Lyrist using a Ring of Evasion, then taking 2 levels of Rogue and selling the ring. Which does work.

To clarify what I said, if you meet the prereqs after selecting the new feature, then it works, however you can't use a maneuver that requires another maneuver alone to qualify for a maneuver that requires another maneuver.

Think of it like this: for the brief moment that you're retraining off Maneuver A for Maneuver C, and Maneuver B (which you have) requires you to have Maneuver A or C. If Maneuver C requires Maneuver B, then you cannot because you don't have Maneuver B because you don't have Maneuver A.
If Maneuver C does not require Maneuver B, and Maneuver B requires Maneuver A or C, then you can because you'll temporarily effectively lose B, but when you get C you can use B again.
(If you require any additional discussion, a new thread might be required)

Elric VIII
2011-07-24, 08:35 PM
To clarify what I said, if you meet the prereqs after selecting the new feature, then it works, however you can't use a maneuver that requires another maneuver alone to qualify for a maneuver that requires another maneuver.

Think of it like this: for the brief moment that you're retraining off Maneuver A for Maneuver C, and Maneuver B (which you have) requires you to have Maneuver A or C. If Maneuver C requires Maneuver B, then you cannot because you don't have Maneuver B because you don't have Maneuver A.
If Maneuver C does not require Maneuver B, and Maneuver B requires Maneuver A or C, then you can because you'll temporarily effectively lose B, but when you get C you can use B again.

New Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11488463#post11488463)

I think your adding of the third variable changes the answer, but we'll see.

Groverfield
2011-07-24, 08:36 PM

Curmudgeon
2011-07-24, 09:05 PM
A 52 additional info

The spell Imbue with Spell Ability (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/imbueWithSpellAbility.htm) allows sharing a limited variety of spells with another character.

A 54 Six.
A marilith usually holds a longsword in each of its six hands and wears many bangles and jewels.
Feats: In combination with its natural abilities, a marilith’s Multiweapon Fighting feat allows it to attack with all its arms at no penalty.

DeltaEmil
2011-07-24, 10:20 PM
Q 55a

How far away can the Blade Guide spirit companion of the Eternal Blade telepathically communicate with its Eternal Blade? Does it have unlimited range? If it manifests so that it can speak with others, does it also have unlimited range with its telepathy?

Q 55b

How close must the Blade Guide spirit companion be for the Eternal Blade to use its abilities? Can it be outside of his range of sight? On the other side of the world? On another plane of existence?

Elric VIII
2011-07-24, 10:48 PM
A 55a

A creature with this ability can communicate telepathically with any other creature within a certain range (specified in the creature’s entry, usually 100 feet) that has a language. It is possible to address multiple creatures at once telepathically, although maintaining a telepathic conversation with more than one creature at a time is just as difficult as simultaneously speaking and listening to multiple people at the same time.

Some creatures have a limited form of telepathy, while others have a more powerful form of the ability.

This is your best gauge for it.

Douglas
2011-07-24, 11:54 PM
A55b

No limit is specified in any of the ability descriptions as far as I can tell, but taking advantage of this can only be done for a very short time - if you don't have line of effect to your blade guide, it instantly relocates to you after 1d6 rounds.

Delcor
2011-07-25, 01:15 AM
Q56

Dumb question:

What is a gish?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-25, 01:23 AM
A 56

A combination spellcaster/physical combat specialist. The term originally referred to a Githyanki Fighter/Wizard combination. A gish uses magic to make themselves better fighters.

Taelas
2011-07-25, 01:24 AM
A56:

A character combining spells with actual combat as their primary focus. A multi-classed Fighter/Wizard, for instance, is a gish.

Zaq
2011-07-25, 02:31 AM
Q 57

In BoED, ravages and afflictions deal additional damage based on the victim's Charisma modifier, so a high-CHA victim is worse off than a low-CHA victim. Are there any other effects which deal additional damage (or have harder save DCs, stronger effects, or whatever) based on the victim having high stats instead of low stats? If so, what?

AxeD
2011-07-25, 07:32 AM
Q58: If I play a Rakshasa Sorcerer, what ECL do I need to be a 10th level Sorcerer? Is is 7 Racial levels and 3 Sorc levels?

Cog
2011-07-25, 07:38 AM
A 58:
A Rakshasa is ECL 14 (7HD+7LA). Adding 3 sorcerer levels to get 10th level casting would be ECL 17.

Chen
2011-07-25, 09:36 AM
Q59

I need some clarification on how the last layer of a prismatic wall work.

It states "Energy field destroys all objects and effects" and then has the Will save to be plane shifted.

Now presumably a character is not an object so the first part does not affect them and thus they make the will save. However, what happens to their gear? The spell doesn't specify unattended objects so it seems to me like even if you make it through the wall, all your stuff gets destroyed by the last layer with no chance at saving it. Is this correct?

Petrocorus
2011-07-25, 09:41 AM
Q60

I'm not sure to understand the requirements of the Holy Warrior feat.
Can an arcane spellcaster use it if he knows some of the spells listed in the War Domain?

Cog
2011-07-25, 09:48 AM
A 60:
The character needs access to the domain, not merely the spells of that domain. There are various ways, generally PrCs, for a character to gain this access if they did not start with it.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-25, 10:18 AM
A 59

From page 166 of Player's Handbook:
An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus). ... and from page 177:
Items Surviving after a Saving Throw: Unless the descriptive text for the spell specifies otherwise, all items carried or worn by a creature are assumed to survive a magical attack.
If a character makes the Prismatic Wall saving throw, all their attended items also automatically save versus that effect unless explicitly excluded. The violet layer of Prismatic Wall has its listed effect against objects that are not attended.

yugi24862
2011-07-25, 02:37 PM
Q61

Is there any 2-3 LA race with both Str and Int bonuses?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-25, 02:51 PM
Q61

Is there any 2-3 LA race with both Str and Int bonuses?

A61
Yes. First to come to mind is the Half-Dragon. +3 LA and +8 Str, +2 Int.
Triton: +2 Str, +2 Int. +2 La.
Certain dragons can be used at +3 LA.
Using Savage Species also includes Ghouls, Ghasts,

Sharakim from Races of Destiny get +2 Str and Int for +1 LA.
Ixitxachitl from MMII gives you a bounce to each, but is unfortunately Aquatic. I believe +1 LA as well.

WarKitty
2011-07-25, 04:47 PM
Q62

Can a TWF fighter using armor spikes as the off-hand weapon use and benefit from a shield?

Keld Denar
2011-07-25, 05:00 PM
A 62

Yes. Armor spikes, while they are a weapon, aren't held like a weapon. Thus, you can make attacks with them even if your hands are full. Thus, one hand can be holding a sword, and the other can be holding a shield, and you can still make attacks with your armor spikes, just the same as you can hold a greatsword in both hands and still attack with your armor spikes.

HappyBlanket
2011-07-25, 06:09 PM
Q 63

Is the Astral Construct power limited to one construct per manifester? Or can one manifester, with multiples uses, summon additional constructs?

Does the version from EPH differ from the one in CP?

Tvtyrant
2011-07-25, 07:18 PM
Q64

Is essentia transparent between manifesting classes?

Zaq
2011-07-25, 07:22 PM
Q64

Is essentia transparent between manifesting classes?

Yes. You have only one essentia pool. Certain class features that let you increase your essentia CAP are not transparent, but essentia itself is like PP, in that it doesn't care where you get it.

Source: MoI p. 20.

Tvtyrant
2011-07-25, 08:12 PM
Yes. You have only one essentia pool. Certain class features that let you increase your essentia CAP are not transparent, but essentia itself is like PP, in that it doesn't care where you get it.

Source: MoI p. 20.

Thank you! I now believe that the best dip for a Totemist is a level of Incarnate :P

dextercorvia
2011-07-25, 09:43 PM
Q 65

If a flat-footed character with Combat Reflexes takes an AoO, are they still flat-footed after, or have they acted?

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-25, 09:51 PM
Q 65

If a flat-footed character with Combat Reflexes takes an AoO, are they still flat-footed after, or have they acted?

Q65, request for clarification.

In what situation are they getting an AoO? You don't threaten while Flatfooted, IIRC.

dextercorvia
2011-07-25, 09:58 PM
Q65, request for clarification.

In what situation are they getting an AoO? You don't threaten while Flatfooted, IIRC.

Combat Reflexes allows you to make an AoO while flat-footed.

Ursus the Grim
2011-07-25, 10:03 PM
Combat Reflexes allows you to make an AoO while flat-footed.

Derp. Thank you.

Curmudgeon
2011-07-25, 10:26 PM
A 65

They're still flat-footed. An attack of opportunity is classified as "no action" (Rules Compendium, page 8).

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 03:56 AM
Q 66A

If you ready a weapon against a charge, do you get to make an attack when your opponent charges you?

Q 66B

If so, what implications does this have for the Steadfast Boots in the MiC?

As long as you carry a two-handed weapon, you are treated as if you had readied that weapon against any creature who charges you.

Kefkafreak
2011-07-26, 04:01 AM
A66

When you ready an action, you lose the remainder of your turn, and act as soon as the condition is triggered. In this case, you would hit the charging attacker before they could hit you.

The boots apparently allow you to make an attack against creatures that charge you as if you had readied an action.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 04:02 AM
A66
The boots apparently allow you to make an attack against creatures that charge you as if you had readied an action.

A66 clarification

And if you are charged by multiple opponents? 1 attack/creature?

Kefkafreak
2011-07-26, 04:05 AM
Apparently so. And if you have a reach weapon you'll get an attack of opportunity too, when they leave your threatened square.

ILM
2011-07-26, 07:50 AM
Q67: Does an Amulet of Fearsome Might (Dragon Magic) enhance a Frightful Presence ability obtained by way of feat (Draconomicon)? In other words, does a feat count as "innate"?

dextercorvia
2011-07-26, 08:50 AM
Q 68

Would a scroll containing two (say 1st level) spells count as one magic item or two? Would it require one day or two to craft that scroll?

UserClone
2011-07-26, 09:01 AM
A 68

For the first part of your question, it is one item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm), no matter how many spells are inscribed onto it.

The scroll would require 1 day per 1,000 gp in its base price (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#scribeScroll).

UserClone
2011-07-26, 09:08 AM
A67

According to the third sentence of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm), "innate" abilities refers to abilities gained from race or kind.

Keld Denar
2011-07-26, 09:48 AM
A 63

CPsi does limit you to one Astral Construct at a time. This is different than XPH. Many people consider this an unneeded nerf, as AC is similar to Summon Monster, and there is no limit on how many concurrent summon monster spells you can have running.

UserClone
2011-07-26, 10:36 AM
RE: A 63

So considering that most psionics fans seem to consider a lot of CPsi to be utter garbage, is it the RAW by virtue of being more current, or is XPH the RAW by virtue of being the "Primary Source" for psionics rules?

Keld Denar
2011-07-26, 10:41 AM
RE A 63

It is the most recent version in the same way that Spell Compendium versions of CArcane/CDivine spells are most recent. The errata file states that when two sources are in conflict, the most recently published source is errata on the older version. According to RAW, for what that's worth.

Cruiser1
2011-07-26, 12:17 PM
Q69: A Cleric casts Miracle (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/miracle.htm) (an Evocation spell) to duplicate Finger of Death (a Necromancy Spell). We know the duplicated spell has a save DC for a 9th level spell (as if Finger of Death were Heightened to 9th level). However, if the Cleric has the feat Spell Focus (Evocation) (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#spellFocus), does the save DC increase by one? If the Cleric has the feat Spell Focus (Necromancy), does the save DC increase by one? If the Cleric has both Spell Focus feats, would the DC increase by 2?

In other words, is Finger of Death cast "as part of and within" Miracle (in which case it's an Evocation effect, and should be affected by Spell Focus (Evocation). Or does Miracle generate a "separate and independent" casting of Finger of Death, in which case it's a Necromancy effect, and should be affected by Spell Focus (Necromancy)?

Keld Denar
2011-07-26, 12:25 PM
A 69

The rules are rather unclear, as you pointed out. Going off similar abilities, however, a Shadow Evocation Fireball would be an Illusion spell, and would benefit from SF:Illusion but not SF: Evocation. If Miracle follows a similar thread, then you are correct in assuming that SF: Evocation would boost the mimiced spell. SF: Necromancy would have no effect on the spell, and SF: Evocation would only increase the DC once if you used Miracle to emulate an Evocation spell (IE, a Miracle replicating Fireball with SF: Evocation would have a DC of 20+Wis, rather than 21+Wis).

Also, sup Seattle gamer! :smallcool:

UserClone
2011-07-26, 01:10 PM
A 69, Contention

The answer is right there in the description of the spell. IF a spell is duplicated, it allows a saving throw as normal, except that it is treated as a 9th level spell. Therefore, if the spell is a 4th-level Necromancy spell, the DC is calculated exactly the same as it would be if you cast the spell normally, except you add 5 to the DC because the spell is treated as 9th level instead of 4th. If it said "as normal, except a 9th level Evocation spell," then there would be reason to believe that the school changes, but since there isn't, the school is as the duplicated spell. Therefore, you would only gain the bonus for SF: Necromancy.

Elric VIII
2011-07-26, 01:51 PM
Q 70

Does Ankh of Ascension (Races of Faerun) add 4 to your dispel checks?

The description mentions giving a +4 to CL "with respect to range, durtion, and other numeric effects." But specifically mentions that it does not increase chances to overcome SR or "otherwise increase the caster's effective level."

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-26, 01:55 PM
Q71

Is there a RAW way to make Vampires without being a vampire yourself (ie. something like a more powerful Create Undead spell)?

GeminiVeil
2011-07-26, 02:16 PM
Q72
Which book (and page number) contains the rules for crafting constructs? If it helps, I need the time, money, and spells/other things I need for such.

Keld Denar
2011-07-26, 02:31 PM
A 72

The MM has the Craft Construct feat. Otherwise, golems follow the rules for other magic items, and each golem has its own crafting entry.

Example:

Construction
A clay golem’s body must be sculpted from a single block of clay weighing at least 1,000 pounds, treated with rare oils and powders worth 1,500 gp. Creating the body requires a DC 15 Craft (sculpting) check or a DC 15 Craft (pottery) check.

CL 11th; Craft Construct, animate objects, commune, resurrection, caster must be at least 11th level; Price 40,000 gp; Cost 21,500 gp + 1,540 XP.
Time to construct one would be 1 week/1000g.

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-26, 02:33 PM
Q72
Which book (and page number) contains the rules for crafting constructs? If it helps, I need the time, money, and spells/other things I need for such.

A72

Craft Construct Feat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#craftConstruct)

List of SRD Golems (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/golem.htm)

Construction

The cost to create given for each golem includes the cost of the physical body and all the materials and spell components that are consumed or become a permanent part of the golem. Creating a golem is essentially similar to creating any sort of magic item. However, a golem’s body includes costly material components that may require some extra preparation. The golem’s creator can assemble the body or hire someone else to do the job. The builder must have the appropriate skill, which varies with the golem variety.

Completing the golem’s creation drains the appropriate XP from the creator and requires casting any spells on the final day.

The creator must cast the spells personally, but they can come from outside sources, such as scrolls.

The characteristics of a golem that come from its nature as a magic item (caster level, prerequisite feats and spells, market price, cost to create) are given in summary form at the end of each golem’s description.

Note: The market price of an advanced golem (a golem with more Hit Dice than the typical golem described in each entry) is increased by 5,000 gp for each additional Hit Die, and increased by an additional 50,000 gp if the golem’s size increases. The XP cost for creating an advanced golem is equal to 1/25 the advanced golem’s market price minus the cost of the special materials required.

Each Golem has it's own costs below it's stat block. I assume other books continue this rule, but don't know for sure.

I got swordsage'd by a tub of ice cream.

ICE CREAM!! :smallfurious:

:smallannoyed:

:smallwink:

HappyBlanket
2011-07-26, 03:31 PM
Q 73

Do levels in multiple psionic classes stack for the purpose of determining Manifester Level?

Keld Denar
2011-07-26, 03:42 PM
A 73

No, unless they have a "+1 Manifesting Level" clause. If you took 4 levels of Psion and 3 levels of PsyWar, you're ML of Psion would be 4, and your ML for PsyWar would be 3. If you took Practiced Manifester for PsyWar, your ML for Psion would still be 4, and your ML for PsyWar would be 7 (3 + 4).

If you leveled Psion5/Constructor5, however, your ML would be 9 (since Constructor gives 9/10 +manifester, with the lost level at 1st). This is exactly the same as a Wizard who PrCs into Malconvoker (Wiz5/Mal5) would have a Wizard CL of 9 (since Malconvoker also loses a spellcaster level at 1st).

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-26, 04:28 PM
Q74a

If a Wizard 14 takes the Lich template they become ECL 18.

Using the Unearthed Arcana LA Buyoff rules, once they earn enough XP are they able to immediately buyoff one of the Lich LA, or do they have to wait until they acquire another hit dice after gaining the template before they can buy it off.

Q74b

If the Wiz 14 instead used the Savage Species Lich Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a), could they buy off the LA one at a time as they earn them?

eg. Wiz 14/Lich 1 gets enough XP to buy off 1LA, then repeat each time they gain the next one? So they end up back as a Wiz 14 with all the Lich LA bought off pre-epic.

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-26, 04:38 PM
A 71

The Epic Seed Animate Dead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/seeds/animateDead.htm) can create vampires, among others.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-26, 04:52 PM
A74A
As long as you have the exp you can buy the LA off.

Q75
Is there anyway outside of dancing to let go of a weapon and retrieve it as a free action?

Tvtyrant
2011-07-26, 05:22 PM
Q76

Does the effects of VoP stack with those of Holy Sword?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-26, 07:13 PM
A 70

The Ankh of Ascension in Races of Faerûn (a 3.0 book) has been replaced by the Ankh of Ascension in Magic Item Compendium (page 70). The revised item is simpler to understand.

A 76 No.

Both the Exalted Strike benefit of Vow of Poverty and the Holy Sword spell provide enhancement bonuses to attack and damage. These overlap rather than stack, and you would take the better of the two bonuses.

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-26, 09:41 PM
A 75

The Gnome Quickrazor, out of RoS, can be sheathed and drawn as a free action. That's the only way I know of, to be honest.

With the Quick Draw feat you can drop one weapon (always a free action) and draw another as a free action.

dextercorvia
2011-07-26, 10:21 PM
Q 77

Would an Orb of Fire deal double damage to a target in the area of a Raging Flame spell, since the fire is non-magical?

Cerlis
2011-07-26, 11:09 PM
Q78 There is a feat in XPH that allows you to expend Psionic focus for +10 on sense motive check. does this apply to anything that uses a sense motive check/modifier, or just specifically a Sense motive check. For instance, would you be able to use it when resisting a feignt, or using the setting sun counter to replace your AC with your SM check?

Q79 from the wording, the racial substitution levels of Skarn monk seems to suggest that he keeps his AC bonus even when armored. Is this true?

Q80 even if he can use armor and keep his bonus, the Monk version of evasion and flurry of blows as well as other features arent "replaced" so he'd still lose those abilities if (heavily) armored or encumbered?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-26, 11:12 PM
A 74a

The Reducing Level Adjustments (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/reducingLevelAdjustments.htm) rules allow buying off level adjustments only one LA at a time, and normally only at certain intervals. The first opportunity to buy down LA +4 is at class level 12, which has already passed. Because this isn't the standard interval you may need to convince your DM to allow buying off +1 LA then; otherwise you would need to wait until you advance in experience to the next class level (which would be a long wait since you just jumped by +4 ECL). Assuming you did buy off +1 LA at ECL 18 (cost 17,000 XP) your next opportunity for another +1 LA buydown on the standard intervals would be at class level 21 (ECL 24).

A 74b No.

The Lich Template Class replaces +4 level adjustment with 4 Lich Template class levels. The level adjustment buyoff rules only function with level adjustment, and have no impact on racial hit dice or class levels.

A 79 No.

The Skarn Monk who takes the level 5 racial substitution level completely loses the AC Bonus class feature. In its place they gain the Defensive Insight class feature, which has different characteristics. (This racial substitution level is optional, so not all Skarn Monks will make this trade.) Both class features add the character's WIS bonus to AC if the right conditions are met. AC Bonus provides an additional scaling bonus to AC (+4 at 20th level), but the Monk loses all benefits to AC from this class feature when wearing armor. Defensive Insight provides an additional bonus to AC only when the Skarn Monk invests essentia, but the Monk loses all benefits to AC from this class feature in an Antimagic Field or when Supernatural abilities are otherwise suppressed (for example: if the Monk uses Shapechange).

A 80 That's correct.

Vandicus
2011-07-27, 12:36 AM
Q 81

Is it possible to ready an action to sunder the reach weapon of an opponent out of melee range, for example a medium sized spiked chain wielder is attacking a medium sized longsword wielder, as that spiked chain user strikes?

Thurbane
2011-07-27, 01:43 AM
Q82

Is the raven (or dove) summoned by the vestige Malphas's Bird's Eye Viewing ability considered a normal animal, for purposes of spells such as Animal Growth or Reduce Animal?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-27, 02:29 AM
A 81

No, not without a house rule. Per the rules, ranged weapons have all their effects adjudicated in the target's space, but melee weapons have all their effects adjudicated in the wielder's space. Talk to your DM if you want to make this operation possible; by RAW, you can't affect an enemy's weapon unless you can reach the wielder.

ILM
2011-07-27, 04:03 AM
A67

According to the third sentence of this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monstersAsRaces.htm), "innate" abilities refers to abilities gained from race or kind.
Q83: Okay then, how about the Awaken Frightful Presence feat in Draconomicon? Same answer?

Runestar
2011-07-27, 04:49 AM
Q 77

Would an Orb of Fire deal double damage to a target in the area of a Raging Flame spell, since the fire is non-magical?

I think it should be treated as a spell, and interact with other spells accordingly. So no (though I admit I am not familiar with the raging flame spell).

ILM
2011-07-27, 06:56 AM
Q84: When designing armor for unusual creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/armor.htm#armorForUnusualCreatures), do the multipliers apply only to the cost of the base armor or to the entire suit, including masterwork/materials/enchantments?

Cog
2011-07-27, 07:01 AM
A 84:
Only the base cost is multiplied. The text you linked specifically refers to the price given on the table as what's to be multiplied.

ILM
2011-07-27, 07:20 AM
A 84:
Only the base cost is multiplied. The text you linked specifically refers to the price given on the table as what's to be multiplied.
Q84, cont'd: Would a suit of Mithral Full-Plate armor then still only cost an extra 9,000 gp even if it were made for a non-humanoid colossal creature? (for instance)

Runestar
2011-07-27, 07:34 AM
Q74b

If the Wiz 14 instead used the Savage Species Lich Progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20031212a), could they buy off the LA one at a time as they earn them?

eg. Wiz 14/Lich 1 gets enough XP to buy off 1LA, then repeat each time they gain the next one? So they end up back as a Wiz 14 with all the Lich LA bought off pre-epic.

I don't think the savage progression templates were intended to work with LA buyoff, else I could theoretically buyoff each LA of a monster progression class like ghaele as it occurs (which clearly would not be the designer's intention).:smalltongue:

Cog
2011-07-27, 08:07 AM
A 84 additional:
Correct. Note that an adamantine dagger and an adamantine greatsword have the same price modifier as well, for example; the actual amount of special material needed does not seem to be relevant in most cases. Whether a DM might reasonably choose to adjust this situation is, of course, beyond the scope of this thread.

UserClone
2011-07-27, 08:18 AM
A 83

While as a DM, I'd say that would work in my game, it doesn't appear to work by RAW.

dextercorvia
2011-07-27, 08:52 AM
I think it should be treated as a spell, and interact with other spells accordingly. So no (though I admit I am not familiar with the raging flame spell).

Q 77, clarification

Raging Flame doubles the damage dealt by "non-magical fire", and adds an some extra damage to "magical fire". It doesn't refer to, 'from a spell' or similar.

UserClone
2011-07-27, 10:01 AM
A 77

It does double the damage, per RAW. Now try getting a DM to allow it. :smalltongue:

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-27, 12:06 PM
Q85

Besides Chameleon, are there any other classes that give a Chameleon-style floating feat?

Needs to be 14th level or earlier (using lowest normal entry for prestige classes please).

Claudius Maximus
2011-07-27, 01:55 PM
Q 86

Besides the Amulet of Mighty Fists and the Necklace of Natural Attacks (or whatever the Savage Species one is called), what items exist to enchant one's unarmed strikes? In particular, are there any out there that allow one to put special enhancements like Flaming on unarmed attacks, much like a Kensai does?

dextercorvia
2011-07-27, 02:04 PM
A 85

No. There are a few prestige classes which grant a general bonus feat, but Chameleon is the only one that lets you switch it out for free.

Cog
2011-07-27, 02:15 PM
A 85 additional:
There are a few classes that gain floating feats from limited lists. A Binder with Astaroth can gain any item creation feat, while a Revenant Blade can choose multiple feats from a martially-themed list. A Heartfire Fanner can bestow multiple Fighter feats on another character.

powerdemon
2011-07-27, 03:02 PM
Q 87
Where can I find an official list of body slots for magic items?

I found the "affinities" list at the back of the DMG, but I know some of those overlap :smallyuk:

powerdemon
2011-07-27, 03:04 PM
Q 86

Besides the Amulet of Mighty Fists and the Necklace of Natural Attacks (or whatever the Savage Species one is called), what items exist to enchant one's unarmed strikes? In particular, are there any out there that allow one to put special enhancements like Flaming on unarmed attacks, much like a Kensai does?

Not RAW: - DDO and NWN use/d Handwraps. That might be worth asking your DM about.

Douglas
2011-07-27, 03:04 PM
A87

Right here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#magicItemsOnTheBody).

Kobold-Bard
2011-07-27, 03:05 PM
Q 87
Where can I find an official list of body slots for magic items?

I found the "affinities" list at the back of the DMG, but I know some of those overlap :smallyuk:

Head, Eyes, Throat, Shoulders, Body, Torso, Arms, Hands, Finger 1, Finger 2, Waist, Feet.

DMG p.214

powerdemon
2011-07-27, 03:08 PM
Thank you both!

Q 88
The Daraco Mystere says:

Any individual can only receive the tome’s benefits once in a lifetime.

Does that mean a character that dies, and is brought back to life could benefit from it again? Or one who is Reincarnated?

Q 89
The SRD says:

Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.

Can you wear say, 3 rings, and switch between which 2 of the three are active? Or would it just be the first 2 donned give you the bonus and the third does nothing until one of the first two is removed?

Curmudgeon
2011-07-27, 04:08 PM
A 88

The answer depends on what actually happens to a dead creature.

You restore life to a deceased creature.
This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.
This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level. All of the above spells merely restore an existing life, so it's a continuation of a single lifetime.
A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form. Reincarnate does create a new life, so that's a possibility.

A 89

There's no mechanism for swapping rings by choice, so it's strictly the first two rings worn. If you want to use another ring, you've got to make it one of the first two, removing any prior-donned rings until it's either #1 or #2.

UserClone
2011-07-27, 04:11 PM
A 88, ninja addendum

Considering that there is no RAW definition of "lifetime," one can only assume the normal perion between one's being born and one dying. Since resurrection and reincarnate do not make you literally be born and grow up, they don't count.

A 89, ninja agreement

The latter is correct. The first ring worn on a given hand is the only active one. Note also that some rings require that you wear them for 24 hours before their effects manifest.

Cog
2011-07-27, 04:15 PM
A 89

The latter is correct. The first ring worn on a given hand is the only active one. Note also that some rings require that you wear them for 24 hours before their effects manifest.
Curmudgeon's answer was more correct, as it is possible to wear both your rings on a single hand. This is relevant, as it would affect remove-to-swap strategies.

UserClone
2011-07-27, 05:00 PM
RE: 89

Right you are, Cog.

Fiery Diamond
2011-07-27, 09:20 PM
Q90 Sneak attack: Does the class feature Uncanny Dodge mean that the character cannot be sneak attacked when caught flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker? If so, does having Improved Uncanny Dodge then mean that short of the character being paralyzed or otherwise helpless, it is impossible to sneak attack that character by any means whatsoever unless the attacker has at least 4 more rogue levels than the character?