PDA

View Full Version : Beast Strike

noparlpf
2011-07-18, 04:32 PM
BEAST STRIKE [GENERAL]
Your martial training makes full use of your natural weapons in unarmed combat.
Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +5, Improved Unarmed Strike, claw or slam attack.
Benefit: When you make an unarmed strike or grapple check to deal damage, you may add your claw or slam damage to your unarmed strike or grapple damage.
Special: A fighter may select Beast Strike as a fighter bonus
feat.

Dragon Magazine #355, I believe on page 76.
This seems like a really handy feat for unarmed melee characters. Now, my main question about this feat is this: Can you add both your claw and your slam attack if you have both? Also, it seems to me that this would let you add your Strength modifier twice.
Say you have Superior Unarmed Strike at 10th level and 18 Strength, so that's 1d8+4 for an unarmed strike. Now, say you also have a slam attack for 1d6+1 1/2 Str, so that's 1d6+6. There's no way that this feat intends for your Beast Strike unarmed attack to do 1d8+1d6+10, right? But in a case like this, where the slam attack has +1 1/2 Str and the unarmed attack only has +Str, which do you add to the Beast Strike unarmed strike?

Another question, mostly unrelated, but pertaining to claws. Does the Draconic feat Draconic Claw give you one claw attack or two? Most humanoid I know of have two hands, not one, so I would have thought this feat would give two claw attacks.

EDIT:
Can you use a natural attack as a secondary attack (obviously with a -5 penalty) after using a weapon attack? Does an unarmed strike count as a weapon attack? Because then Beast Strike would let you use UaS (including claw or slam damage) however many times your BaB allows, and then make an additional attack with your claw or slam as a secondary attack. It's almost like getting to use the natural attack twice.

Prime32
2011-07-18, 04:38 PM
This seems like a really handy feat for unarmed melee characters. Now, my main question about this feat is this: Can you add both your claw and your slam attack if you have both? Also, it seems to me that this would let you add your Strength modifier twice.No to the first. Maybe, but probably no, to the second.

The best use of this feat is in combination with Eldritch Claws, a feat which lets you turn your eldritch blast into a set of claws which deal damage equal to eldritch blast + unarmed strike. You can make a full attack of unarmed strikes, then secondary attacks with the actual claws.

Another question, mostly unrelated, but pertaining to claws. Does the Draconic feat Draconic Claw give you one claw attack or two? Most humanoid I know of have two hands, not one, so I would have thought this feat would give two claw attacks.Well, it also deals more damage than most claws (1d6 for Medium, rather than 1d4).

EDIT:

EDIT:
Can you use a natural attack as a secondary attack (obviously with a -5 penalty) after using a weapon attack? Does an unarmed strike count as a weapon attack? Because then Beast Strike would let you use UaS (including claw or slam damage) however many times your BaB allows, and then make an additional attack with your claw or slam as a secondary attack. It's almost like getting to use the natural attack twice.Yes.

noparlpf
2011-07-18, 04:40 PM
Well, would you allow it to give two claw attacks at 1d6? That shouldn't be too big of a deal, considering natural attacks don't gain iterative attacks with increased BaB.