PDA

View Full Version : Best Short Adventures (Levels 1-12)

RealMarkP
2011-07-18, 04:46 PM
I'm looking for some help locating adventures that have a fun and memorable story and/or unique encounters. Short adventures preferable starting from level 1 through 12. I don't mind if they are 1e/2e/3e, because I can always swap out the encounters with 3.5e mechanics/monsters. What I'm trying to avoid is huge story arcs that take months (if not years) to resolve.

As an example, I found that 'Wrecked Ashore' (WotC website) is a decent level 1 adventure. I don't expect the players to reach more than level 3 in it, if that. And it's generic enough that I can mold it's story line into my campaign (Though, I can do this with most adventures).

Any help with this is appreciated. Ideally, one adventure per 1-2 levels.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-18, 05:53 PM
Well RHoD is considered one, if not the, best D&D premade adventure and it spans from level 5 to level 11-ish IIRC.

The adventure itself is divided in five story arcs, which according to my predictions (and own experience FWIW) last around 3 to 5 sessions per story arc. So I guess you could finish it in around six months I guess.

RealMarkP
2011-07-19, 08:19 AM
I might roll that in, thanks,.

Has anyone played 'The keep on the borderlands' (B2)? Wikipedia says that this is one of the better modules and comparable to RHoD in terms of depth and quality. If anyone here recommends it, I might substitute it as my opening adventure for the group.

I still could use suggestions for an adventure of level 4-8.

herrhauptmann
2011-07-19, 03:12 PM
Witchfire trilogy? Goes from about 3-8 I think. Maybe 3-9 if you do the whole thing. It's set in Iron Kingdoms, so it has a little bit of magitech.

Fun low level: Something's Cooking in the Kitchen. If your players are fire-happy...

super dark33
2011-07-19, 04:26 PM
I remember some premade adventure, with wererats in the city, and the mayor is one too...

i dont know its name though.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-07-19, 04:50 PM
I remember some premade adventure, with wererats in the city, and the mayor is one too...

i dont know its name though.

I think it is the Speaker in Dreams or something like that.

DonEsteban
2011-07-19, 05:13 PM
Red Hand of Doom has been mentioned.

Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil (levels 4-12?) deserves mentioning, too, although it doesn't match the requirements exactly.

I can recommend the Desert of Desolation trilogy (AD&D, level 6-10). It has pyramids, dead pharaos, an almost mad mage's fortress and all kinds of cool crypts in a hot desert setting. It's a little bit short on social interaction, but that can be fixed relatively easily if you want to invest a little bit of work.

Finall, the Freeport Trilogy should be mentioned. (Actually a trilogy plus at least three follow-up adventures going from level 1 to... I'm not sure, 8?) A cool series of mysteries in a pirate city bustling with life and corruption and... well, pirates, of course!

(Edit: They're all split into parts, most of which can be used seperately if you want.)

RealMarkP
2011-07-20, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've made a decent outline for a campaign. However, feel free to keep posting as I will reference this thread for future campaigns. I'm sure others will benefit from it as well.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-07-20, 04:51 PM
What's that one about the aboleths trying to drown the world using portals to the plane of water (or something)? I think it involves a lot of Underdark adventuring...

Edit: "Night Below" is what I was thinking of; it's an Underdark campaign, supposedly designed to be usable with any ongoing campaign setting. The first part of it goes from levels 1-10.