PDA

View Full Version : Dragon Age: Origins-- Morrigan's Ring bug question

Sith_Happens
2011-07-18, 08:35 PM
After spending a while on Google, I found plenty of threads on various websites having to do with this but none where someone gives a direct answer. So anyways...

While having the conversation with Morrigan where she gives you the GPS ring, I hit the bugged dialogue choice at the end ("Fine then, hand it over.") that causes you to not receive the actual item. Unfortunately, it took a few dozen hours and countless saves for me to realize anything was amiss, so I can't exactly go back and redo the conversation.

My question is, do the dialogue/plot points involving Morrigan's Ring (in either Origins or Witch Hunt) require you to have the actual ring in your inventory, or just for you to have had the conversation where she gives it to you?

Arbitrarity
2011-07-18, 09:27 PM
I'm 90% certain they're triggered by the appropriate plot flag.

I hypothesize such a flag exists because of the ring epilogue, the existence of storage areas, and that most major events are saved by plot flags, not inventory checks (which are presumably more difficult).
Additionally, if you are concerned, you can just get the "add items via console" mod, which is fairly compact, enable console, and add it in. I've found this very useful when I missed something because of bugs or poor design (like DA2's Guardian of Ensalin, which can only be acquired by killing some random guy in a bar that I instead intimidated. Really game? Punishing me for taking diplomatic actions?)

Sith_Happens
2011-07-18, 11:34 PM
I'm 90% certain they're triggered by the appropriate plot flag.

I hypothesize such a flag exists because of the ring epilogue, the existence of storage areas, and that most major events are saved by plot flags, not inventory checks (which are presumably more difficult).
Additionally, if you are concerned, you can just get the "add items via console" mod, which is fairly compact, enable console, and add it in. I've found this very useful when I missed something because of bugs or poor design (like DA2's Guardian of Ensalin, which can only be acquired by killing some random guy in a bar that I instead intimidated. Really game? Punishing me for taking diplomatic actions?)

I hope you're right, although I would like it if someone who either hit the same bug as me or sold the ring at some point (and thereby would be 100% certain) could chip in.

Unfortunately, I'm playing on Xbox 360 so mods/using the console is not an option.:smallfrown: I have heard that you can trigger the ring dialogue again by breaking up with Morrigan and then using the Golden Mirror (which I just recently acquired) to get back together with her, but I'm worried about how big of an approval hit would be involved in the "breaking up" part of that workaround.

As for your question, yes, that kind of thing seems to be par for the course in this series. I'm sure there are plenty of parts as well where you would have been punished somehow for not taking diplomatic action and never known.