PDA

View Full Version : Brink of Death

Delcor
2011-07-18, 09:05 PM
As the title implies, I wanna hear some stories.
How close has your party/PC come to death and what saved you.

I guess I'll start with an example from my most recent session. We were in an abandoned (or so we thought) temple. We were supposed to close an exit portal that demons were coming through. When we got there, 3 vrocks and an evil cleric awaited us. We killed one vrock, but the DM rolled the 35% chance of another one showing up, so back to square one. They started their "dance of ruin" and so we took advantage and started blasting them while the melee types took out the cleric. We figured out what the dance of ruin actually did one round before they completed it (20d6 in 100ft radius :smalleek:) Both casters had already gone, so it was the bards turn, and then the vrocks where they would finish the ritual and kill us all. The bard cast hold monster on one of the vrocks, and it had a 55% chance of making the save. We held our breath as the DM rolled the save, and botched it :smallsmile:, followed by the sorcerer who maximized fireballed all four mobs and killed them all.

Anderlith
2011-07-18, 09:47 PM
We were in catacombs underneath a small abbey in a hamlet fighting two darkmantles, just me (a rogue) & a barbarian (the other party members were on the surface fighting each other over loot). I get knocked down to negatives after the first darkmantle dies. The barbarian kills the last darkmantle & is only functioning because of temporary HP from raging. So with the last three rounds of rage he has left he bandages my wounds (he failed once) & manages to bandage himself right before he stops raging & passes out. We were found hours later unconscious by a brother in the abbey that knew we had gone down into the catacombs

Anderlith
2011-07-18, 10:06 PM
Sorry for the double post but I thought of another good one.

We had sneaked into a small ruined keep that was operating headquarters of an army of Orcs & assorted goblinoids & had killed the orc chieftain but had found out that the orcs were under orders of an evil Cleric woman of Nerul. She paralyses our barbarian & our fighter & tells us this "Join me or die" the party agrees (including a cleric of Pelor) me (a paladin of Pelor) refuses saying "Bite my shiny white..."

Realizing I am the only party member to refuse her... I run. The Cleric tells the archer of our group to kill me & he starts to shoot at me, & the cleric tries to grapple me, but I wiggle free & run barely alive into the courtyard -with reinforcement that have just came to save our party.

MesiDoomstalker
2011-07-18, 10:12 PM
Sorry for the double post but I thought of another good one.

We had sneaked into a small ruined keep that was operating headquarters of an army of Orcs & assorted goblinoids & had killed the orc chieftain but had found out that the orcs were under orders of an evil Cleric woman of Nerul. She paralyses our barbarian & our fighter & tells us this "Join me or die" the party agrees (including a cleric of Pelor) me (a paladin of Pelor) refuses saying "Bite my shiny white..."

Realizing I am the only party member to refuse her... I run. The Cleric tells the archer of our group to kill me & he starts to shoot at me, & the cleric tries to grapple me, but I wiggle free & run barely alive into the courtyard -with reinforcement that have just came to save our party.

Did you guys now go back on your word and go against the evil Cleric?

Anderlith
2011-07-19, 01:49 PM
The paralyzed barbarian & a few other people were dimension doored into the courtyard by a helping NPC, while the archer & the cleric were not (they were the ones that accepted the clerics ultimatum), the archer comes out into the courtyard & the barbarian hits him with a greataxe & he goes down. Me being a paladin, lay of hands the archer & ask something along the lines of "Back on our side now?" -He agrees but gets an arrow in the gut by an enemy. I give him another point of lay on hands to stabilize him & then go back in to fight. The cleric (Mid battle) says "I'm sorry" & helps us fight. He has fallen & has no more mojo, but he isn't fighting us so we let him live. After the battle the party & he part ways, the archer stays & becomes one of my paladin's & the barbarians best friends. Oh & yes, we attempted to kill the evil cleric but she was able to flee (summoned bonedevil flew off with her)