PDA

View Full Version : So, this happened

Apophis775
2011-07-18, 09:32 PM
In our current campaign my character is a scout, and we have an assassin changeling in our group. Hes currently disguised as me. The group currently doesnt know exactly who is who (which we intended) Shortly after a recent battle, me and the changeling got into an argument over who would receive the alchemist fire. him, claiming that he would make traps out of it, and me claiming that i wouldn't. This resulted in many headache for the rest of the group since as far as they could tell I was arguing with myself. Literally.

sonofzeal
2011-07-18, 09:46 PM
..........congratulations?

Redshirt Army
2011-07-19, 07:48 AM
ha...ha? filler

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-19, 08:13 AM
...Was there a point?

CTrees
2011-07-19, 08:15 AM
I... guess your party doesn't have much Divination at their disposal?

Not really sure where to go with this.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-19, 08:26 AM
There was this one time me and my buddy Keith...

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 08:30 AM
Cool. Things do happen sometimes. Why, just this morning, I remember seeing a squirrel in my yard. That happened.

Hatchet91
2011-07-19, 09:07 AM
this is one of those stories that are alot funnier if you were there.

only1doug
2011-07-19, 10:42 AM
The simple solution for the party is to kill both, just to be sure.

Big Fau
2011-07-19, 11:26 AM
There was this one time me and my buddy Keith...

Can this wait?

OracleofSilence
2011-07-19, 01:33 PM
what the... was there some point? and why the hell would this be a problem. are you playing both? if so... why?

TroubleBrewing
2011-07-19, 02:54 PM

That would be my solution as well.

JaronK
2011-07-19, 03:03 PM
Yesterday I went rock climbing, and there was this really hard route, by my climbing partner insisted I do it despite the fact that I was tired. It was undercling the whole way so I got really tired and had to rest three times along the way, and then I got to the top. Then she lowered me back down, and the gym was closing, so we went back to her place. Then we chatted a bit but I had work in the morning and went home. Literally.

JaronK

Sillycomic
2011-07-19, 04:10 PM
I don't get it.

How are the rest of your players confused? Unless you told them one of you was a changeling but you aren't telling them which one, there's nothing really confusing about it. There's just two of you with scout-like abilities.

Wouldn't you two then just be considered twins or some other close relatives? Did you give them any explanation for why there is two of you running around?

And... why are you arguing over alchemist's fire? Are you guys level 2 or something? Doesn't Alchemist fire cost like 20 gold? Unless it's a low wealth campaign or you are all at a very low level, how is this ever going to be a legit argument?

Your argument for keeping the alchemist's fire is that you wouldn't make traps out of it? How is that an argument? Why would the group let you have something if you weren't going to do anything with it? At least the changeling wants to do something constructive.

Xanmyral
2011-07-19, 04:18 PM
No, no. The proper answer to this is to shoot both of them in the leg with a crossbow, and then get a (few) drink(s) at the nearby tavern/brothel. If you still remember them, then come back and try to figure out which is which. Preferably, make the drunkest one figure it out.

Ksheep
2011-07-19, 04:33 PM
Bind and gag both of them, tie them up in a sack, and throw them into a lake. Should be fairly simple to figure out which one is a changling... and then you don't have to worry about the arguing anymore.

CTrees
2011-07-19, 05:26 PM

In D&D, do changelings turn back to their natural forms when they die? If so, killing one is a more reasonable solution - you have a fifty/fifty chance of killing the shapeshifter, at which point you only have to commit one murder.

Wait.

What am I saying.

If you kill both, you get the XP and and loot from both. KILL BOTH OF THEM! IT'S THE ONLY WAY to BE SURE! *rolls bluff*

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 05:29 PM
I'm confused. Did the party just accept that one of their own had a doppelganger and let them join the party? Is this normal for other people's DnD groups?

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 05:29 PM
In D&D, do changelings turn back to their natural forms when they die? If so, killing one is a more reasonable solution - you have a fifty/fifty chance of killing the shapeshifter, at which point you only have to commit one murder.

Wait.

What am I saying.

If you kill both, you get the XP and and loot from both. KILL BOTH OF THEM! IT'S THE ONLY WAY to BE SURE! *rolls bluff*

Yeah, I was reading the changeling stats this morning. They apparently look like grey humans with big heads? Races of Eberron pg 44, the "reality seeker".

Yuki Akuma
2011-07-19, 05:47 PM
I'm confused. Did the party just accept that one of their own had a doppelganger and let them join the party? Is this normal for other people's DnD groups?

Changeling. Not doppelganger. Entirely different.

Changelings are an LA+0 player race. Doppelgangers are LA+lots and have racial HD to boot.

Kojiro
2011-07-19, 05:47 PM
Well, they actually look like this (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/82973.jpg), minus that weird red tint on the eyes and head, or alternatively like whatever they want because they're freaky changelings, but yeah. Kill one and it returns to normal. Except dead, of course.

So, obviously, the method of destruction should be the almighty Disintegrate, although if you are unable to cast that yet burning them to ash is also acceptable. And as people have emphasized, make sure to kill them both.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 05:54 PM
Changeling. Not doppelganger. Entirely different.

Changelings are an LA+0 player race. Doppelgangers are LA+lots and have racial HD to boot.

I didn't mean the race, I meant the fact that they apparently let someone who looked just like their teammate enter the party without explanation. And then apparently thought they were the same person as they later thought that they were the same person that was arguing with themselves.

mikau013
2011-07-19, 06:03 PM

Wait.

What am I saying.

Better kill your other party members too, pcs are the richest monsters arou.... I mean to make sure that there are no other changelings infiltrating the party

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 06:04 PM
As long as changelings are the matter of discussion, does anybody know where I can find an age table for them?

mikau013
2011-07-19, 06:34 PM
As long as changelings are the matter of discussion, does anybody know where I can find an age table for them?

Page # 27 - ECS

Pechvarry
2011-07-19, 06:53 PM
Forum game! Count the ellipses (...) on this page!

I especially like the part where a guy came in and posted about something he enjoyed in his last D&D campaign -- in a forum about D&D campaigns, and the first dozen or so posts is nothing but people trying to make him feel dumb about it.

Classy.

And I'm no better off by pointing it out.

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 07:00 PM
Forum game! Count the ellipses (...) on this page!

I especially like the part where a guy came in and posted about something he enjoyed in his last D&D campaign -- in a forum about D&D campaigns, and the first dozen or so posts is nothing but people trying to make him feel dumb about it.

Classy.

And I'm no better off by pointing it out.

There wasn't really much to go with in the OP. I'm used to seeing questions on here. Then somehow it turned into "Hey, you should kill the changeling!"

Xanmyral
2011-07-19, 07:02 PM
Right. Sorry for the earlier post then, as long as you and the group had fun that's what matters in the end. What started in that no one knew how to properly respond, descended into playful jokes that eventually got taken too far.

TheRinni
2011-07-19, 07:10 PM
In our current campaign my character is a scout, and we have an assassin changeling in our group.
Is this assassin an NPC, or another PC? It's a fun character dynamic if it's two player characters. However, I find that the hardest thing about two close characters like this, is they tend to hog the limelight. If the DM isn't careful, it could very easily end up as the "Scout and Assassin Show."

This resulted in many headache for the rest of the group since as far as they could tell I was arguing with myself. Literally.
The other player characters had absolutely nothing to do. Meanwhile, you and the assassin are having a grand ole' time with your interesting duo. In these situations, as a player character, I tend to just walk away and find something more interesting to occupy my time with. As a DM, I have something attack the players while they're making so much ruckus.

Psyren
2011-07-19, 07:27 PM
Oh man I've been waiting to use this one! http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ShaggyDogStory

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 08:52 PM
Right. Sorry for the earlier post then, as long as you and the group had fun that's what matters in the end. What started in that no one knew how to properly respond, descended into playful jokes that eventually got taken too far.

Yeah, I feel the need to apologize too. I'm sorry for my unproductive and likely offensive comments.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 08:54 PM
I admit that I am still curious as how the party reacted when the double showed up, but maybe I should have phrased it better. Sorry if you felt like you were mocked for trying to tell a funny DnD story.

Psyren
2011-07-19, 09:35 PM
The other player characters had absolutely nothing to do. Meanwhile, you and the assassin are having a grand ole' time with your interesting duo. In these situations, as a player character, I tend to just walk away and find something more interesting to occupy my time with. As a DM, I have something attack the players while they're making so much ruckus.

You reward them? I'd cause a ruckus every time I got bored if I was in your game! :smallsmile: (typically, when RP goes on too long)