PDA

View Full Version : "Housewife" Fighter

Chilingsworth
2011-07-19, 08:26 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

My fiance wants to play a dwarf woman forced out of the house to fight. Class: Fighter.

What I'm looking for are some houseware-inspired equipment. Any ideas?

Metahuman1
2011-07-19, 08:29 AM
Ask the DM to let you take exotic weapons proficiency: Improvised weapons.

My first impulse is to say Barbarian would be better for this concept though, particularly if you can find ways to up the damage dice on the improvised weapons. A dip into Warblade to get Iron Heart Surge and some stances would also be good.

Saintheart
2011-07-19, 08:30 AM
...Lipstick of +2 CHA?

Telonius
2011-07-19, 08:36 AM
Are you looking for homebrew as well, or just published sources?

Most household items are going to be Improvised Weapons. There are ways to gain proficiency in them (Drunken Master comes to mind) but they're usually going to be sub-optimal.

Some items might actually be household items (sickle, scythe, club)

Another option is to re-fluff standard weapons as household items and basic tools.

Light Mace = small frying pan
Heavy Mace = large frying pan
Sap = ruler (think "angry nun")
Warhammer = sledge hammer
Dagger = paring knife
Punching Dagger = awl
Kukri = meat cleaver

Morph Bark
2011-07-19, 08:37 AM
...Lipstick of +2 CHA?

Lipstick is a masterwork item for a +2 bonus on Diplomacy.

Housewares... well, depends on what kind of house it is. If she lived on a farm, you could use shovels, rakes and so on as weapons too, perhaps. Either as quarterstaves (one end) or... something else for the other end.

gbprime
2011-07-19, 09:04 AM
Hey Playgrounders!

My fiance wants to play a dwarf woman forced out of the house to fight. Class: Fighter.

What I'm looking for are some houseware-inspired equipment. Any ideas?

Apparently one cannot go wrong with a Frying Pan. :smallwink:

http://amelanniza.blog.com/files/2010/11/pan-flynn.jpg

The Glyphstone
2011-07-19, 09:05 AM
Since when do Dwarf women not carry weapons? They actually use Heavy Maces in the kitchen, it's the only way to crack dwarf bread.

Saintheart
2011-07-19, 09:07 AM
Since when do Dwarf women not carry weapons? They actually use Heavy Maces in the kitchen, it's the only way to crack dwarf bread.

I thought dwarf bread was the weapon.

Also makes for excellent trail rations. "Gods, I'd better find something to eat today, or else it's that bloody dwarf bread again."

The Glyphstone
2011-07-19, 09:09 AM
I thought dwarf bread was the weapon.

Also makes for excellent trail rations. "Gods, I'd better find something to eat today, or else it's that bloody dwarf bread again."

You have to bake it somehow, that's what the mace is for.

Mordokai
2011-07-19, 09:23 AM
Ask the DM to let you take exotic weapons proficiency: Improvised weapons.

My first impulse is to say Barbarian would be better for this concept though, particularly if you can find ways to up the damage dice on the improvised weapons. A dip into Warblade to get Iron Heart Surge and some stances would also be good.

Nonono. You got it all wrong.

Mother-in-laws are the barbarians :smalltongue: I mean, have you seen one rage? I have and lemme tell you, it ain't pretty.

El Jaspero, the Pirate King
2011-07-19, 09:32 AM
There's also just a great range of flavor you can use in the description of her gear. If you have a tolerant DM who's willing to play along, let her say that her helmet is a colander, or a mop bucket with eyeholes cut into it; maybe her shield is an adapted serving tray, or the top of an end table, or an old wagon wheel. Armor is a little trickier, but maybe she sewed drink coasters to an old coat to make scale mail, etc. Heck, if her backstory includes kids, maybe take Improved Grapple from wrestling the little buggers into bed!

Greenish
2011-07-19, 09:35 AM
Dwarven waraxe is an all-purpose tool, often used in dwarvish cooking.

Telonius
2011-07-19, 09:37 AM
Heck, if her backstory includes kids, maybe take Improved Grapple from wrestling the little buggers into bed!

Maybe take some ideas from Shneeky's Samurai (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=153726)? "Mass Staredown" sounds like it would be perfect for getting a house full of unruly dwarflings in line.

kamikasei
2011-07-19, 09:44 AM
Is this meant to be a through-and-through joke character, or a vaguely serious treatment of an ordinary Urist McJane thrust in to an unexpected life of adventure?

Chilingsworth
2011-07-19, 10:55 AM
Is this meant to be a through-and-through joke character, or a vaguely serious treatment of an ordinary Urist McJane thrust in to an unexpected life of adventure?

Both, I think.

ExemplarofAvg
2011-07-19, 11:34 AM
I second the All-Purpose Waraxe, Flipping Pancakes with the blade!

BlueInc
2011-07-19, 11:38 AM
It slices! It dies! It makes your foes fall at feet in bloody tatters!

Ravens_cry
2011-07-19, 11:41 AM
I imagine a dwarven hausfrau would have just as much access, if not more, to weapons and gear as any dwarven warrior.

kamikasei
2011-07-19, 12:25 PM
Both, I think.

I imagine a dwarven hausfrau would have just as much access, if not more, to weapons and gear as any dwarven warrior.
Yeah... I'm now wondering why on earth any character I'm supposed to take at all seriously wouldn't immediately use the weapon of the first enemy she takes down rather than toting "houseware-inspired equipment", even if she didn't start out with decent gear of her own.

Spiryt
2011-07-19, 12:32 PM
Yeah... I'm now wondering why on earth any character I'm supposed to take at all seriously wouldn't immediately use the weapon of the first enemy she takes down rather than toting "houseware-inspired equipment", even if she didn't start out with decent gear of her own.

Well, most viable, and most boring answer is to take big, but handy knife from the house, and that's it. :smalltongue:

As soon as opportunity arises, arm herself properly.

But that's probably not what TS had in mind, so.

Kalirren
2011-07-19, 12:57 PM
Funny, I imagine that a dwarven cook would be protective about food knives being used only for food. Pride in fine tools and all that. A meat tenderizer, on the other hand...:smallbiggrin:

On a more serious note, arms aren't your problem, armor is. A leather apron won't cut it.

Zonugal
2011-07-19, 12:58 PM
So you want to make this character huh?

http://gyazo.com/3d6c13e6f17fac79b2eb196a8deac48a.png

Better bring a lot of body bags...

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 02:09 PM
Can a scythe work? I thought the grains that you make beer out of could be harvested with one. And it also works to protect the grain and the beer. She could work as a brewer, which might explain some gold leftover for equipment.

Anderlith
2011-07-19, 02:13 PM
Kitchen knives & frying pans. Also Heat resistance from working in the kitchen. Rage ability every month, & Leadership:Children with a Father cohort.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-19, 02:23 PM
She could work as a brewer, which might explain some gold leftover for equipment.

Also, well, dwarf.

Worlok
2011-07-19, 02:24 PM
So you want to make this character huh?

http://gyazo.com/3d6c13e6f17fac79b2eb196a8deac48a.png

Better bring a lot of body bags...
As long as it isn't this one (:smallbiggrin:):

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7184/pandwarf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/pandwarf.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

Ravens_cry
2011-07-19, 03:11 PM
As long as it isn't this one (:smallbiggrin:):

http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/7184/pandwarf.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/717/pandwarf.jpg/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)
I actually immediately thought of him when people started mentioning using improvised armour.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 03:21 PM
His wife will probably get along with the party better if her improvised armor is made out of pots and pans rather then the other sort of improvised armor...Which is made out of the other PCs. Just saying.

Telonius
2011-07-19, 03:32 PM
His wife will probably get along with the party better if her improvised armor is made out of pots and pans rather then the other sort of improvised armor...Which is made out of the other PCs. Just saying.

"Does our Warforged seem a little ... shorter .. than normal?"

Worlok
2011-07-19, 03:36 PM
I actually immediately thought of him when people started mentioning using improvised armour.
Yeah, I'm actually surprised I didn't get ninja'd on that. :smallbiggrin: And I'm also not a time-traveling psychic!

Hey now - Keep your height cracks out of this here dwarf thread! :smallfurious: :smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 03:39 PM
Given a dwarf's shape, I think they would be better to throw into combat then to wear into combat.

And yes, I have had DM's tell me that I could not throw the dwarven fighter into combat even with the player's permission.

Also, make sure your wife has a butcher knife as a back up weapon. It makes sense and having a huge knife for back up never hurts! (Until you try to sit down and didn't put it away properly, that is)

Elvencloud
2011-07-19, 03:44 PM
Tika Majere in Dragonlance also had weapon specialization in frying pan.
+1 to frying pan as a weapon.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 03:55 PM
Maybe invest in a magical bottle that heats up the contents so she can fling boiling oil at things. Death by bacon fat! Also remember that lye might be lying around the house too.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-19, 04:47 PM
"It's a Warforged Scout. He got drunk one weekend and woke up in a chop shop."

Slipperychicken
2011-07-19, 05:17 PM
In all honesty, I thought the title of this thread was referring to how some posters refer to fighters/damage-dealers as the "cleanup crew" or "janitors", because their primary function is dealing finishing blows to disabled/debuffed enemies. On second thought, that could be pretty amusing: a straight-classed fighter in a janitor's uniform, armed with a +5 Adamantine Vorpal Mop, sighing after yet another battle in which he has to "clean up" all the comatose, ability-drained bodies left behind by the fullcasters in his party...

Zaq
2011-07-19, 07:47 PM
I'm in the camp that believes that a dwarf of any stripe would probably be more likely to use a warhammer as a garlic press than a garlic press as a warhammer.

I think the real fun in this character will be in describing, in as much detail as your group will tolerate, where and how she acquired her various combat skills. I'm sure you can easily fluff the various challenges of dwarven house life into combat-worthy experiences. The best part, of course, is that she thinks nothing of this. She's not inordinately proud of the fact that she learned how to sunder properly by carving through dwarven bread. She just thinks her foes make really soft weapons. Make her provincial and kind of naive. Let her be surprised at how much easier dungeoneering is than dealing with a fully-stocked dwarf kitchen.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 07:54 PM
Real dwarven women can wrestle a bear and then turn it into dinner and a rug with just their trusty axe.

TheRinni
2011-07-19, 08:48 PM
Have you ever read the Dragonlance Chronicles? It's a D&D inspired series, published by WoTC, that has a character named Tika. Tika is known for whacking people around with her trusty frying pan. I'd probably just give it the stats of a mace.

EDIT:

Tika Majere in Dragonlance also had weapon specialization in frying pan.
+1 to frying pan as a weapon. Damn. Didn't see your post. xD

Ravens_cry
2011-07-19, 09:19 PM
Real dwarven women can wrestle a bear and then turn it into dinner and a rug with just their trusty axe.
Aye, dwarven woman folk can make a fire by striking a flint across the palm of their hand.
Real dwarven women don't need the flint.

Pika...
2011-07-20, 12:55 AM
Now my question is, are you going traditional Tolkin? If so, like in my games (and Certain official Faerun Dwarves) they have beards too. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ip5T89jfJoA&NR=1)

Heatwizard
2011-07-20, 02:37 AM

It's important to note that the axe isn't necessary, just convenient. Taxidermy with only your dentures is slow going.