PDA

View Full Version : Should I Apply To Harvard?

CurlyKitGirl
2011-07-19, 09:07 AM
Basically, yeah.

To elaborate: there's a scholarship being offered to people in my graduating year, and the previous year at my uni to go to Harvard for one year as a Special Student, all fees fully paid, as well as travel there and back, and a living allowance.
It's to study at the Harvard Graduate School of Arts and Sciences for the academic year of 2012 - 2013.
My parents are being remarkably blasé about it: 'if you want to go fine, but you'll be away from home for a year'.
I suppose what I'm really looking are reasons for/against applying, as well as advice, tips, stories about:
1) American university life in general, and . . . Ivy League(?) if anyone's been to one.
2) Living in that general area - costs and so on.

Just general . . . stuff I suppose.
And yes, I know I have a small chance of getting the scholarship, but it can't hurt to try, no?

EDIT:
Oh! And to clarify something (I'll also edit this into the OP) I'm a British student entering into my final year of BA (Hons) English Language and Literature.

I think what I'm most worried/interested in is just how differently the two systems operate. I mean, it's one dislocation going from UK uni to US uni, but Oxbridge to US uni?
Likely to be more tricky.

shadow_archmagi
2011-07-19, 09:49 AM
1) American university life

Are you a foreigner, then?

Anyway, I'd go ahead and apply. The cost is pretty minimal (compared to the cost of actually going). Remember, even if your application is accepted, you don't have to go. You could apply to every university in the world and then take your pick from the ones that accept you.

So definitely apply. Spending a year away from home is always a world-broadening experience and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself.

EDIT: Asked my british friend about the differences educationally;

" I...am not sure. I haven't much experienced american colleges. I suppose if you are a citizen of each country I would characterise british universities as "cheap", but not anymore, that's all changing. I guess in the UK when you do a course, you do that course. You don't have majors and minors, you don't have to do introductory maths and english and horticulture and horse botany to get on with the history major you signed up for. You do your course, often quite narrowly, choose what options your course allows you, and it takes three years, so it's shorter."

Form
2011-07-19, 09:55 AM
Studying at one of the world's finest universities, even if it is for only 1 year, sounds like a fine opportunity to me. It would be a shame to let this chance go to waste, wouldn't it?

Comet
2011-07-19, 09:58 AM
Agreed with the above, apply for sure!

It's going to be a bit intimidating, I think, but in the end I also think it's going to be worth it. So if you feel even slightly more excited than scared at the prospect of this particular adventure, then give it a shot! It's only a year of your life and you're likely to come out of it as a better, or at least a more learned/travelled, person as long as you keep your thinking positive and make the most out of studies and social life while there.

And, as said, you don't have to fly there right this instant. Just apply for the scholarship and see where it takes you. Can't hurt.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-19, 10:00 AM
Yes, you should.

Ashtar
2011-07-19, 10:01 AM
Going somewhere else any time during your studies is always beneficial (as long as you get the credits). It broadens your view and looks good on a CV : "Harvard? Been there, done that, on a full scholarship, no less...".

Apply.

CurlyKitGirl
2011-07-19, 10:08 AM
Oh! And to clarify something (I'll also edit this into the OP) I'm a British student entering into my final year of BA (Hons) English Language and Literature.

I think what I'm most worried/interested in is just how differently the two systems operate. I mean, it's one dislocation going from UK uni to US uni, but Oxbridge to US uni?
Likely to be more tricky.

Thufir
2011-07-19, 10:10 AM
Are you a foreigner, then?

Of course she's not a foreigner. It's you lot who are the foreigners. :smalltongue:

Naturally I have a bit of a bias towards you remaining in this country, but that said, it sounds like a great opportunity, and as people have already said, you don't have to do it even if you are accepted, you can change your mind later on.

This'd be after you finish your degree, yeah? So you'd be doing your Master's there?

CurlyKitGirl
2011-07-19, 10:14 AM
@Thufir:
Nope!
They have this integrated degree programme so you can't apply for an MA, just straight into a PhD - taking four to seven years to do. The MA comes after two years of study there as a student.
I'll just be a Special Student meaning that I'm not entered for a degree programme, but any courses taken there are official courses whose credits and whatnot count towards something or other.

DraPrime
2011-07-19, 10:26 AM
1) American university life in general, and . . . Ivy League(?) if anyone's been to one.

Just general . . . stuff I suppose.
And yes, I know I have a small chance of getting the scholarship, but it can't hurt to try, no?

1) Well as you know my experience with universities is rather unusual, so I can't give you much advice here, except that you shouldn't wear a t shirt from a college that you aren't going to. It's just not cool. Also, expect lots of lazy people who don't come to class.

2) Now I can give you plenty of advice here, seeing as how I've spent almost my entire life near Boston. First of all, it won't be too expensive. From my several experiences with England, I've found that it's more expensive than Boston. So if you can afford living in Oxford, you can afford living at Harvard. Cambridge is a bit of a pricy town, but that's nothing that a quick trip into some town like Sommerville won't solve.

You'll be living in Cambridge, which is a pretty good place to be. It's a nice town with lots of good food, and on the other side of the Charles River you have Boston. For public transportation there are four subway lines, designated by the colors red, blue, green, and orange. Only the red line goes into Cambridge, and not that much of it, so you will also have to rely on the buses. Monthly passes for students cost $20, and will give you unlimited rides on the subway and buses.

Cambridge is pretty safe at night, but you will want to avoid both Dorchester and Roxbury, as those are the more unsavory parts of Boston. Not that there really is much interesting stuff in those areas. The most interesting parts don't really go further south than the South End. Yes, the South End is actually not the southernmost part of Boston. Not even close. By modern Boston boundaries, you could actually say it's in the north. Boston's geography is strange like that. It's made even more weird because there is a South End, and then there is a South Boston (affectionately referred to as Southie), which are two entirely different neighborhoods, both equally south.

As for stuff to do around Boston, there's plenty. It's historic, at least by our rather short American standards, and played a big role in the war for independence. Therefore, you can check out all the historical sights if that interests you, including my own home town of Lexington where the first battle of that war occurred. There's also nice cultural stuff like Symphony Hall, the Museum of Fine Arts, the theater district, etc. If you go a bit outside of Boston you can find yourself some beaches to enjoy whenever it's warm, although the best ones can be a whole two hours away. I'd also recommend stepping out of Cambridge a bit to buy stuff, simply because stuff there tends to be more expensive than in the surrounding area.

And of course, if you do get accepted and decide to go yours truly is willing to give you a tour of the area so that you can get to know it. There's some more specific stuff about Cambridge and Harvard itself, but that would take a lot more writing. If you want to know more just ask. I also fully recommend coming to Harvard. It's a great university, in a great city. I think you'll enjoy it.

Mauve Shirt
2011-07-19, 10:31 AM
1) Well as you know my experience with universities is rather unusual, so I can't give you much advice here, except that you shouldn't wear a t shirt from a college that you aren't going to. It's just not cool. Also, expect lots of lazy people who don't come to class.

Nah, I wore t-shirts from several different colleges, most ones that my friends and family members attended, including Catatonic State. Then again, my school was far from Ivy League, they're probably more competitive.
Yes, lots of lazy people.

Thufir
2011-07-19, 10:37 AM
@Thufir:
Nope!
They have this integrated degree programme so you can't apply for an MA, just straight into a PhD - taking four to seven years to do. The MA comes after two years of study there as a student.
I'll just be a Special Student meaning that I'm not entered for a degree programme, but any courses taken there are official courses whose credits and whatnot count towards something or other.

Ooh, interesting.
I have to wonder what exactly they'd count towards. I can't think of anything off the top of my head, so my current impression is you'd pretty much be studying things for the sake of studying them.
On the other hand, it's being paid for, so, awesome.

You'll be living in Cambridge,

Amusing. So she'll go from Oxford to Cambridge! Only it's the other Cambridge.

DraPrime
2011-07-19, 10:42 AM
Nah, I wore t-shirts from several different colleges, most ones that my friends and family members attended, including Catatonic State. Then again, my school was far from Ivy League, they're probably more competitive.
Yes, lots of lazy people.

Hmmm, how odd. I've seen people get called out for wearing something like a Harvard shirt when they weren't from there. Eh, I guess it just depends on the person. Speaking of colleges, this reminds me about another thing about the area. The Boston area has an absurd number of colleges. MIT, Harvard, Boston College, Boston University, Brandeis University, Berklee College of Music, UMass Boston, and Tufts university are among the more well known ones. Judging by the count on Wikipedia, we have about 54 colleges and universities in and around Boston. This is actually very beneficial because Boston is a very student friendly city because of this. Plenty of stores (particularly bookstores, which I know will make you happy) cater to the many college students in the area. It's quite helpful.

Rawhide
2011-07-19, 10:45 AM
Yes, you should.

RabbitHoleLost
2011-07-19, 10:51 AM
Do it~
Why?

My reasoning in entirely selfish.
That's the year my family plans on going on vacation back to Boston, where we used to live years and years ago.
I wanna meet Curly

Telonius
2011-07-19, 10:52 AM
I've never been to a British university, but from what I understand there are some differences.

First, American universities generally cost a lot of money, so the staff *usually* feels some obligation to help out students. Professors (or Teaching Assistants) are *usually* fairly available to the average student. Most have posted office hours for you to go and ask questions if you need to.

This depends a bit on the university, the Dean's Office is usually very good and responsive. Most universities have a specific office to assist their international students, so if you run into any cultural difficulties that's your best resource.

One big change: presence/absence of alcohol. The drinking age in the US is 21, and that's about all I'll say about that due to forum rules.

Harvard is different from the usual American college. Along with Princeton, Yale, and a couple of others, they're among the most selective in the country. Getting in is something like winning the Brain Lottery. You'll meet a lot of students who are absolutely brilliant and extremely competitive. You'll meet a lot of students who come from an awful lot of money. You'll meet a lot of students who are firmly in both groups.

Don't ask the locals if they're Yankees fans. This will have similar results as asking somebody from Liverpool if they like Manchester United.

One thing I've picked up from an English friend of mine - don't be intimidated by the term "Irish pub" (assuming you're 21 or older). Everybody here has a great-grandfather who came over during the potato famine, but nobody knows or cares that a little bit of Ireland is part of the UK.

DraPrime
2011-07-19, 10:57 AM
Amusing. So she'll go from Oxford to Cambridge! Only it's the other Cambridge.

Yes, I was wondering if I should say anything about that. :smalltongue:

Don't ask the locals if they're Yankees fans. This will have similar results as asking somebody from Liverpool if they like Manchester United.

Indeed. At Red Sox games the fans chant the words "Yankees Suck" no matter who is playing. Seriously, you can have a team that has nothing to do with the Yankees like the Kansas City Royals and the fans will still be doing it. It's why I don't wear my Yankees hat except when I go out of the country.

Whiffet
2011-07-19, 10:59 AM
I can't really help with differences between the systems, but I do know this.

If you don't try to get this scholarship, you will wonder what would have happened. At any rate a chance to travel so far from home is a great opportunity that will give you valuable experience. Add in the fact that you don't have to worry about paying for Ivy League education or paying fees, and... how often will an opportunity like this come up?

Brother Oni
2011-07-19, 12:48 PM
EDIT: Asked my british friend about the differences educationally;

" I...am not sure. I haven't much experienced american colleges. I suppose if you are a citizen of each country I would characterise british universities as "cheap", but not anymore, that's all changing. I guess in the UK when you do a course, you do that course. You don't have majors and minors, you don't have to do introductory maths and english and horticulture and horse botany to get on with the history major you signed up for. You do your course, often quite narrowly, choose what options your course allows you, and it takes three years, so it's shorter."

As a clarification, due to this focus in British degree courses, the third year of a British course is equivalent to the first year of a US post grad course in that subject.

Someone majoring in English on their final year would have approximately the same sort of material a second year uni student over here would face.

I think you mean asking somebody in Manchester whether they support Man Utd. :smalltongue:
As long as it's not the sort of reaction you get when asking a Millwall fan whether they support West Ham, I'm sure it'll be fine. :smallbiggrin:

Everybody here has a great-grandfather who came over during the potato famine, but nobody knows or cares that a little bit of Ireland is part of the UK.

No offence intended but... :smallsigh:

KenderWizard
2011-07-19, 12:58 PM
Wow! If you don't want to go, apply anyway, and I'll go as you! :smalltongue:

This is a fantastic opportunity. It sounds like your parents are letting you make up your own mind. I actually can't come up with a single reason not to apply!

LCP
2011-07-19, 01:08 PM
I've just finished my Oxford degree, and I had one friend who for his final year went on an exchange scheme to Princeton, which sounds very similar to the setup you talk about (although it can't be the same one, as he did Physics & Philosophy).

His experience was positive, but he didn't come home raving about it: he said that the broader scope let him study some interesting stuff that wasn't really related to his degree, that there was a much more active and dedicated scene in terms of extracurricular groups and activities, and he definitely seemed to have found the cultural differences interesting, but he did say he regretted the fact that by the nature of the American course, he ended up learning a lot less material on the lines of his actual degree (particularly the Physics side) than he would have if he stayed home. Not that he regretted going on the exchange - just that he wasn't jumping up and down saying it was great.

He also said that they had very different exams - open-book, and a fair bit longer. Although again, this was Phys/Phil, so I don't know if it's the same in humanities.

Hope that's of some help.

Artemis97
2011-07-19, 01:16 PM
Go! Absolutely Go!

Boston is a fantastic city and Harvard is, of course, one of the best Universities around. But I say go just for the opportunity to travel and get away from home. I won't say it's not going to be tough. (I'm presently spending a summer away from home and I still feel homesick sometimes) But the experiences you'll have will definitely more than make up for it.

Plus you can catch trains out of Boston to take you to New York City or Washington DC if you're inclined to see them. There's mountains relatively near by if you want to go skiing. There are beaches (Though I think the water's cold compared to the one's in Florida). There is fantastic seafood (Don't order your chowder with tomato in it). Goodness, what else?

Boston is a college town, there are more colleges crammed in there per capita than any other city in the US. I'm certain the university will give you plenty of support and tips, should you need it. And, of course, you can always just ask your classmates about things to do.

Also, random fact I just remembered. HP Lovecraft used to live in the North End of Boston. There's also some real great Italian food there, too, and no Shoggoths. At least, none I remember seeing.

Blue Ghost
2011-07-19, 01:17 PM
Do go! If you get into Harvard, Curly, we'll have a big party with cake and balloons and everything!

Vacant
2011-07-19, 01:28 PM
1) Ivy League(?) if anyone's been to one.

The Ivies are all pretty different, from my experiences with them. Brown, which I attend, is pretty laid back and in numerous respects you can kind of do whatever you want, both in terms of how you live your life and what you do academically. It's a pretty openly weird place and there's a lot of "weird" people that you wouldn't see as much at other Ivies. Princeton seems much more "normal" and conservative than Brown, not necessarily in a political so much as cultural sense; less naked parties, etc. Dartmouth has a very active fraternity/sorority culture, and it's far less urban than the others. Basically, they're all pretty different.
As somebody who lives pretty close to it and has a few friends or friends-of-friends who attend to visit, Harvard has a really beautiful campus (or at least very cool buildings on a campus identical to essentially every New England campus) and the people there seem generally nice, in my experience, even if some seem a little too into the fact that they go to Harvard; when I went to visit a friend there, I remember at least one person in every argument/debate essentially backing up his/her position with "I got to Harvard and you don't." :smalltongue: All-in-all, it seems like a pretty nice place to be. I think their English department is more old-fashioned in some respects, and tends more towards some of the older critical schools, although, as a graduate student, I'm sure there's at least a few people to work in just about any field you'd like. (Also, take that with a grain of salt, since I do literary theory and focus in post-modern/post-structuralist theory.)
The mention of meeting people with a lot of money is true at all of them, but you'll also meet some people without too much money, although the people with money tend to stick out more. You'll also meet legacy kids, since it's easier to get in if others in your family have.

I think the fellow from around Boston answered this pretty well.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-07-19, 01:49 PM
Go for it, sound like a great opportunity - if I understand it correctly, it will cost about the same as Unis will cost in 2012 (yay, fee rise...), and you'll be going there from one of the four best unis in the world.

Oh, and it will give you a chance to go to some American meetups.

Remmirath
2011-07-19, 02:25 PM
It sounds like it really can't hurt to apply, and would be at the least an interesting experience if you do get in. I'd say go for it. The only reason I could think of not to do it would be if you really don't want to be out of country for a year.

Moff Chumley
2011-07-19, 02:41 PM
Unqualified "yes", for bragging rights if nothing else.

DabblerWizard
2011-07-19, 02:52 PM
I have a British friend who studies for his doctorate in an American university, and we have talked at length about the cultural and academic differences between America and the UK.

Concerning academics, he suggested that there's a greater degree of student-faculty interaction in the US, compared to British higher education. Students end up spending more time in class, more time studying the material in groups, which may or may not be more helpful; compare that to greater autonomy, do more reading and work on your own, in the UK.

He also mentioned a cultural shock in terms of the niceties and formalities people use in the US compared to the UK. People in the US seem colder, because they're less engaging and more standoffish, compared to what he was used to in the UK. Considering my location, this point will be relatively applicable to your experiences in Boston.

DraPrime
2011-07-19, 03:05 PM
He also mentioned a cultural shock in terms of the niceties and formalities people use in the US compared to the UK. People in the US seem colder, because they're less engaging and more standoffish, compared to what he was used to in the UK. Considering my location, this point will be relatively applicable to your experiences in Boston.

I'll agree on this. Certainly, some parts (the South) are very warm and friendly, but New Englanders will never be known for their cheerful friendliness, particularly around Boston.

Vacant
2011-07-19, 06:25 PM
New Englanders aren't unfriendly or cold so much as they just aren't outgoing, is how I'd put it. Basically, people will be nice enough once you get to talking to them, but it's not like other places where strangers will wave and say hello and so on on the street.

Whiffet
2011-07-19, 06:37 PM
New Englanders aren't unfriendly or cold so much as they just aren't outgoing, is how I'd put it. Basically, people will be nice enough once you get to talking to them, but it's not like other places where strangers will wave and say hello and so on on the street.

True enough, but that doesn't stop my dad and I from making a game out of it when we go there annually to visit extended family. It's simple, really; go for a walk somewhere with lots of people and keep track of how many avoid eye contact when you try to say hello. :smalltongue:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-07-19, 06:52 PM
Go for it. You're obviously seriously considering it since you made a thread about it, so I would say go ahead, apply and see what happens.

It's amusing to me that people are discussing the reserve of New Englanders, considering the reputation of the old English Curly would be leaving behind. :smallwink:

Vacant
2011-07-19, 06:57 PM
True enough, but that doesn't stop my dad and I from making a game out of it when we go there annually to visit extended family. It's simple, really; go for a walk somewhere with lots of people and keep track of how many avoid eye contact when you try to say hello. :smalltongue:

The best is waving at people and watching them get embarassed for you.

Whiffet
2011-07-19, 07:04 PM
The best is waving at people and watching them get embarassed for you.

That's fun sometimes, but bad for the game. You don't wave, you just try to make eye contact and greet them when you pass within no more than a couple feet. You get a point if they look away and don't say anything. A person you're playing with can judge that you don't get the point if you act too familiar with the stranger. Waving to get attention would probably prevent you from earning a point.

Thufir
2011-07-19, 07:20 PM
It's amusing to me that people are discussing the reserve of New Englanders, considering the reputation of the old English Curly would be leaving behind. :smallwink:

Yeah. Pretty sure we wrote the book on being reserved. Several books, in an ongoing series which started in the Victorian era and is still going.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-07-19, 07:35 PM
On the off chance I get into Harvard, might see you there :smallamused:

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-07-19, 07:50 PM
To those who play games with the reactions of strangers - it's always fun, isn't it? One of my favourites is simply waving at oncoming drivers in my car and observing how many wave back, thinking "I must know him from somewhere..." :smallbiggrin:

The occasional antagonistic encounter as a result of such games is usually ridiculous and pathetic on the part of the other person as well. For example, gathering branches and leaves and putting them in my pockets and hair for a costume made me a 'pervert' a little while ago, or so two reliably informed 15 year old chavs told me.

It's the knowledge that according to their perceptions their entire social order is being turned upside down by the sight of minor eccentricity that makes me laugh the most.

Keld Denar
2011-07-19, 08:59 PM

When I lived in Boston, I found the people there to be VERY friendly and outgoing.

Except when they were driving. Never EVER drive in Boston. Ever. Nope, not even then. Just...don't.
M*******s...

CoffeeIncluded
2011-07-19, 09:29 PM
I took one look at this thread and thought, "Why is this even a question?" Go for it!

Jallorn
2011-07-19, 09:45 PM
I'd like to preface this by saying I only read some of the thread, so I apologize if anything I have to say has been said already.

As an American who is going to college in a month (WHOOO!!!!!!!), I can tell you that the quality of education is nothing if you don't do anything with it. Basically, although Harvard is a good school, that doesn't necessarily mean that anyone who goes there gets a valuable education.

Before you go to a college or university based on it's reputation, you should understand what that reputation means. In the case of Harvard it means that they have lots of money and good facilities. It means they can attract professors who are respected in their fields, and usually for a good reason. Of course, being good at your field doesn't always make you a good teacher. It means that they can afford to be selective in who they accept, meaning that many, though not all, students are dedicated, intelligent, and connected. It is also a University, which means it's very big, which is something you should keep in mind, I for one don't learn well in that sort of setting.

Now my recommendation? As has been mentioned, it doesn't cost much to apply, but learn as much as you can before you decide whether to go if accepted. Visit if possible, decide if you think the experience will be worthwhile. Will you take advantage (in a good way) of the facilities, the experienced professors, the hardworking students?

If you do go, be sure and make lots of connections. That's probably the greatest advantage a large, famous university has over, say, a state university: the connections you can make. It may sound a little calculating, but make sure to personally connect with at least a few of your professors, their recommendations could get you a job, and make friends with some of the more promising or already connected students, they can be of great help later in life as well. That's not to say you should make friends with a jerk just cause he's connected, nor is it to say that their friendship isn't enough to get out of the relationship if that is all you end up getting from it. If you're going to spend your time and money, however, you should do your best to make it worthwhile.

Vacant
2011-07-20, 01:52 AM
I took one look at this thread and thought, "Why is this even a question?" Go for it!

Well, if one has already applied to Brown but isn't yet certain one will be admitted, some place like Harvard (http://www.flickr.com/photos/netspencer/5614497617/) might be an acceptable back-up, but one would have to really consider if it was worth it. :smalltongue:

Just kidding, Harvard's a fine school, it's not like it's Cornell or anything.

[/tongueincheekIvyLeaguerivalries]

Mikhailangelo
2011-07-20, 03:38 AM
I'd say go. Remember, you're looking at 9k per year fees if you go to a UK uni, if this is entirely paid for you then it makes perfect financial sense to grab it.

Imperial Psycho
2011-07-20, 04:55 AM
People currently going to university, or starting this year don't get the new fees.

CoffeeIncluded
2011-07-20, 05:19 AM
Well, if one has already applied to Brown but isn't yet certain one will be admitted, some place like Harvard (http://www.flickr.com/photos/netspencer/5614497617/) might be an acceptable back-up, but one would have to really consider if it was worth it. :smalltongue:

Hey, no insulting my new school! (I'm going to Cornell next month)

Rising Phoenix
2011-07-20, 05:29 AM
Do you want to do it?

If the answer is yes, then apply.

blackfox
2011-07-20, 08:22 AM

[/tongueincheekIvyLeaguerivalries]We have sonnnnngs for people like you :smallmad:

"Don't send my boy to Haaaaaarvard"
The dying mother saaaaid!
"Don't send my boy to Yaaaale or Brown
I'D RATHER SEE HIM DEAD, DEAD, SOOOOOO DEAD
Don't send my boy to Priiiinnnnceton
It's got to be Cornellllll
And as for Pennsylvan-i-aaaaa
I'd see him first in HELL"

Hazyshade
2011-07-20, 09:18 AM
Yes apply to Harvard! Then I can show people my Purple Hat and say, "See this Purple Hat? This hat has been worn by a HARVARD student. No, you may not touch it." :smallbiggrin:

Thufir
2011-07-20, 09:58 AM
Visit if possible, decide if you think the experience will be worthwhile.

That might be a tad on the expensive side for such a relatively little thing.

If you do go, be sure and make lots of connections. That's probably the greatest advantage a large, famous university has over, say, a state university: the connections you can make. It may sound a little calculating, but make sure to personally connect with at least a few of your professors, their recommendations could get you a job, and make friends with some of the more promising or already connected students, they can be of great help later in life as well. That's not to say you should make friends with a jerk just cause he's connected, nor is it to say that their friendship isn't enough to get out of the relationship if that is all you end up getting from it. If you're going to spend your time and money, however, you should do your best to make it worthwhile.

That sounds a lot calculating.
I mean, personally connecting with her professors, sure, could certainly come in handy if she wants to pursue a career in academia, but picking friends from among the students based on their connected-ness? Seriously?

Yes apply to Harvard! Then I can show people my Purple Hat and say, "See this Purple Hat? This hat has been worn by a HARVARD student. No, you may not touch it." :smallbiggrin:

It's already been worn by an Oxford student. Isn't that enough?
Also, the "No you may not touch it" would seem out of place, since you typically try to get everyone to wear that hat.

Gadora
2011-07-20, 10:13 AM
Is simply applying a commitment then?:smallconfused: If not, then you lose nothing by applying. It would seem to me that the choice needn't really be made until you've been accepted.

Coidzor
2011-07-20, 10:53 AM
Well, the real question is, would you be willing to deal with being away from home?

Thufir: That's basically the purpose that Harvard and other Ivies serve in the U.S., really. Academic credentials and networking or... networking with the next generation of people that society expects to continue to be rich and powerful and so on & occasionally getting fresh blood introduced there so they don't get all inbred like the landed aristocracies we've tried have generally ended up.

Of course, there's also going to be people who are just kickass, but generally if one isn't a stick in the mud, one will know them when one sees them. Though I think MIT is generally regarded as one of the places where that's more... readily apparent, IIRC, though how closely the reps line up with actualities I couldn't say, all of my friends who were high caste or kickass enough to get in have since gotten married or decided to cut their ties with one such as me, but the reports I got before then did seem to indicate that the interesting times angle was certainly true.

"Don't send my boy to Haaaaaarvard"
The dying mother saaaaid!
"Don't send my boy to Yaaaale or Brown
I'D RATHER SEE HIM DEAD, DEAD, SOOOOOO DEAD
Don't send my boy to Priiiinnnnceton
It's got to be Cornellllll
And as for Pennsylvan-i-aaaaa
I'd see him first in HELL"

Is that... Is that supposed to sound as country as it looks when you've typed it out? :smallconfused:

Jallorn
2011-07-20, 11:03 AM
That sounds a lot calculating.
I mean, personally connecting with her professors, sure, could certainly come in handy if she wants to pursue a career in academia, but picking friends from among the students based on their connected-ness? Seriously?

I'm not saying that exactly. I'm not saying don't be friends with someone just because, and I'm not saying be friends with some just because they're connected...

I think a better way to say it would have been, "Make lots of friends, they will be valuable friends to have if they're good friends."

Hazyshade
2011-07-20, 11:19 AM
Thufir: Sometimes I do things differently than how I did them before.

Jallorn: Good friends? In what sense? *raises eyebrow*

It seems to me like a bit of Power Networking at Harvard is an excellent idea, but you don't need to call it "making friends."

Jallorn
2011-07-20, 11:24 AM
Jallorn: Good friends? In what sense? *raises eyebrow*

It seems to me like a bit of Power Networking at Harvard is an excellent idea, but you don't need to call it "making friends."

In the same sense that you would call someone a good friend: you enjoy their company, they're good people, loyal, etc.

And that's a fair point, not all networking need to be making friends, you can simply make acquaintances. I don't really do acquaintances well, not being socially inclined, and so I didn't really think in those terms.

DabblerWizard
2011-07-20, 11:29 AM
It's also worth mentioning that adjusting to an entirely new country and culture can be rather stressful. Some people just don't want to be far away from their friends and family.

blackfox
2011-07-20, 12:30 PM
Is that... Is that supposed to sound as country as it looks when you've typed it out? :smallconfused:Nope, it's supposed to sound manly and aggressive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgHoGgCn8U&feature=related).

To answer the OP directly: Yessss do it. It's great to have the study abroad experience, just to see new things, etc., what everyone else has said, even if it is at that other school.

Coidzor
2011-07-21, 01:10 AM
Nope, it's supposed to sound manly and aggressive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImgHoGgCn8U&feature=related).

You do recall that sarcasm is rather lost over the internet, right? At this point I'm just left confused and distracted by the adorable ponies.