PDA

View Full Version : Druid among Dragons

NMBLNG
2011-07-19, 01:13 PM
So I'll be joining a campaign soon where the DM is allowing (and encouraging) the use of 2 homebrew classes: Dragon Rider. 1 PC is a rider, the other a dragon.

I've not yet been able to see the class at all, but many of the other players have expressed interest in it. Unfortunately, it just doesn't speak to me right now.

But a druid does. The DM has expressed concern that a 'normal' class might not be able to keep up with a bunch of dragons, but I'm pretty sure a druid could.

Problem is I usually play 4e, so I'm not very good at 3.5 CharOp, let alone a druid. I've looked at the guide at Brilliant Gameologists, and it seems spells + proper use of wild shape & animal companion = WIN, but I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details. Anyone care to help me with a lvl 1-20 build?

OracleofSilence
2011-07-19, 01:21 PM
read this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1354.0).

druids are broken via action economy. Consider. Animal companion, flaming sphere, summoned elemental, summoned animal, call lightning. that is five things dealing damage for you in one turn.

while not all of this damage is amazing, it is CONSTANT.

take natural spell, and maybe greenbond summoning, and definitely Draconic Wildshape

with this and a little tactical know how, you will not only shine in the party, but you will be able to personally pull the party off its ass. have some fun. also, remember, you can do dragon better then dragons can. have some fun with it.

Divide by Zero
2011-07-19, 01:23 PM
Also this (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19868802/Druid_Handbook_revived). Covers most of the good spells and wildshape forms.

Metahuman1
2011-07-19, 01:38 PM
Good tip, Take Natural spell as soon as it's an option to do so, and get something worked out so that you have telepathy enough to stay in contact with your fellow players inside a reasonable distance (In other words, no shorter then you'd be able to talk to them in your normal form.)

Then, stay in Wildshape all the time, and inform your enemy's and foes that your power Level IS OVER 9000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you really want them smelling cheese down the block, take the Planer Shepard PRC.

Trust me, the Dragons will eventually look as dangerous as an equivalent number of none magical non animated non trapped toy soldiers.

Hazzardevil
2011-07-19, 03:15 PM
To be honest, I'd be worried about the dragons, a druid is much more powerful when it reachs the 20's.

OracleofSilence
2011-07-19, 03:17 PM
er, to be fair, the dragons will actually be something like young dragons (how long is this campaign?). nothing is stopping them from grabing druid levels themselves. stil they will be weak compared to you.

NMBLNG
2011-07-19, 03:33 PM
Update

The Rider class has 3 'combat styles', ranged/archery, lance, and spellcasting. All variants get some armor check reduction, bard-like spell progression with a list mostly of wizard/sorcerer with a few paladin spells as well. From the loks of it, nothing a full caster couldn't keep up with.

DM is still a bit fuzzy on the dragon class, though. For this campaign, we'll be doing something more along the lines of after completing a quest, many years pass, gain x levels sort of thing. So the dragons will be on par.

Starting at level 2, LA from race may be debatable.

Lord Vampyre
2011-07-19, 03:34 PM
Your DM may simply want to theme his campaign around dragons, and might not know how to work in a Druid into the party. If that is the case then, you may want to check out Dragon Magic. It has a number of ACF that might give your Druid some draconic flavor without having to be a replica of one of the other players. Also, races of the Dragon has a few draconic races that might fit into your DM's theme.

Also, he may not be worried about your power level, as much as he is about your mode of transportation. Until you hit 5th level, you won't be able to fly. Even at 5th level, you won't be able to fly indefinitely.

You need to ask your DM what his specific concerns are, then we can help you mitigate those potential problems.

Druids are really the most versatile character class.

NMBLNG
2011-07-19, 04:42 PM
Double post

Any suggestions on race?

mootoall
2011-07-19, 04:52 PM
Raptoran Druid is always deliciously cheesy, but I prefer Dragonborn Raptoran Druid in this case. Depending on your level, you might be able to retain Raptoran fly speed, IIRC.

noparlpf
2011-07-19, 05:10 PM
Apparently there's a Dragon Wild Shape in I believe Draconomicon that doesn't require you to be epic. Go for that, you'll fit in better.

NMBLNG
2011-07-19, 05:19 PM
Dragonborn would fit in very well with the campaign. What book is it in?