PDA

View Full Version : Capramaorn- Help with Stat Blocks. (3.5e)

Haldir
2011-07-19, 03:22 PM
Capramaorn-

These [250 - 300 cm] tall creatures strongly resemble goats that commonly serve as domestic herds for orcs, elves, and humans. In terms of fur, skull, jaw, and horn shape, the domestic goat and the Capramaorn are exact in form, but differ in scale. The Capramaorn are a physically capable species, able to naturally switch between walking upright, freeing up their front limbs for the use of tools or to reach high mountain ledges, or on all four limbs, greatly increasing their speed and balance. The tail of a Capramaorn is as long as it’s body, and serves as an important balancing and stabilization tool. The powerful hind-limbs of the Capramaorn account for over a third of the creatures body mass. This allows the Capramaorn to perform jumps and other feats of acrobatics many levels above what a human can achieve. Though less massive, the forelimbs of the creature are almost always as long as the hindlimbs, Each limb ends in a tough, hoof-like protrusion, complimented by an elongated dew claw, allowing for very simple grabbing and object manipulation.

There are very few cases of permanent Capramaorn settlement. As a whole, the race tends to be nomadic. A [100 km^2] swath of territory may hold as many as five hundred related individuals, but be dominated by a single male Capramaorn. A family unit will migrate around their territory over the course of multiple years, oftentimes depleting a small area entirely of it’s resources before moving on. Because of the Capramaorn’s size and plant-based diet, a local ecosystem can be severely impacted by the presence of a wandering tribe. This devastation often puts tribes of Capramaorn into conflict with their neighbors. Orcs often view Capramaorn as ill omens or harbingers of misfortune.

This migratory lifestyle does not tend toward very complex societies or social interactions. The Capramaorn language is a confusing combination of verbal and body cues which are very reliant on context. The vocal organs of the Capramaorn are ill-suited for the complex sounds of the Common Azuldan language. Though limited in intellect, the Capramaorn have been known to engage other sapients in commerce and conflict, and there are many spells available to facilitate communication between species.

The social fabric of the Capramaorn is built on conflict. Males compete in highly ritualized combat to earn status and the right to mate. Primitive weapons such as spears, polearms, quarterstaves and a variety of thrown weapons are all considered to be essential elements of the Capramaorn martial art. However, the Capramaorn are a stone-working culture and there are currently no known examples of Capramaorn metalworking. Trade with humans and elves has slowly begun introducing metal weapons and tools into select Capramaorn populations.

Capramaorn young are born with the ability to walk, and are almost immediately immersed in the culture of violence. After three to five years of playful adolescent sparring, a young Capramaorn will be fully grown and is expected to begin participating in mating and status competitions.

Another lengthy description of a custom race for my game, Interracial Relations. Before I did anything official with the stat blocks, I was curious if I could get some opinions from the Playground. Any help much appreciated.

Debihuman
2011-07-20, 03:10 PM
If these were solely meant to be creatures, it would make sense to begin with the stat block. As a playable race, they are severely hampered by their low intelligence and inability to speak without assistance from spells (which they cannot cast since they don't have the appropriate Int for it). 300 cm puts it at over 9 feet tall so these are Large sized. Since they are fast, I'd put their Speed at 40 ft. bipedal and 50 ft. if they run on all fours.

You mention that they can handle only simple objects but then say they can use Simple Weapons. You should be clearer on this.

I'd give them a headbutt as their only primary natural attack when confronting members of their own species, though they prefer to use manufactured weapons when confronting others.

They should probably start as 1 HD warriors rather than as simply monstrous humanoids.

I'd give them a racial bonus +4 to Jump but no other features.

What do you think?

Debby

Haldir
2011-07-21, 02:11 AM
All of that sounds very good, actually. Except I've also been pondering adding a bonus to Balance and/or climb, to reference the amazing cliff scaling ability of goats. Would there be some LA?

Debihuman
2011-07-21, 07:33 AM
A +4 racial bonus to Balance isn't a bad idea.

I don't think they get any LA because the lack of speech and low Int.

I do recommend stating these using the elite array if you want them to be a playable race able to advance by PC class: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8 and then adjusting for racial stats. You should probably give them a penalty to Int and a corresponding bonus to to Dex. Just don't go overboard. -4/+4 is as high as you'd want them to go.

Here is how I would assign the stats: Str 13, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 10 Wis 12 and Cha 8. Adjusting for -4 Int and +4 Dex gives you this:

Abilities: Str 13, Dex 19, Con 14, Int 6, Wis 12, Cha 8.

What do you think?

Since you are working from the premise that they start as a 1 HD warrior, they get a feat. Agility would be my first choice.

As for skills: Balance, Jump and Survival (foraging for food in the mountains is their priority). They aren't bright so they would have limited skills.

Debby

Nopraptor
2011-07-21, 05:44 PM
You've mentioned that they spar amongst themselve, and that they have a warrior culture, shouldn't this warrent a strength bonus? I think it would be better if you gave them a Charisma penalty as well and give them a Strength bonus

Debihuman
2011-07-22, 12:41 PM
They are more dexterous than strong despite warrior being their preferred class. The use of the elite array already takes care of the Str bonus and Cha penalty (see stats in my previous entry).

Debby

Haldir
2011-07-24, 10:34 PM
A strength bonus might be appropriate, but instead of something so powerful, perhaps a bonus to grappling and charging attacks, reflecting a little bit more of their style of combat and warrior discipline.

Debihuman
2011-07-25, 07:12 AM
Then give them Improved Grapple as bonus feat and Powerful Charge as a Special Ability. I'd say they drop to all fours when making a Powerful Charge and with the extra speed it would do an additional damage to their natural headbutt attack. Watch it though, because you may be pushing into LA +1 territory and that makes them less desirable as a PC race.

At this point, you should be able to design a decent stat block. I think you have all the information you need.

Debby