PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying pet peeves

WarKitty
2011-07-19, 04:46 PM
So, what are your top pet peeves when you're trying to roleplay? You're in character, you're trying to build a dramatic story, and...someone just blows the drama completely. A few I've had:

(1) "So you're trying to make <<some character I've never heard of>>?" Not too bad, but irritating when your carefully crafted original character is now reduced to someone else's media character. Particularly when that character's other attributes are then ascribed to yours.

(2) "You're a rogue, right? Come pick this lock for us." Despite being told that I'm playing a rural sneaky hunter build and haven't put a single rank in disable device.

(3) "Shouldn't your druid be objecting to the forester cutting down trees?" Beavers do it. You're not burning down the whole forest. I don't care.

Crow
2011-07-19, 05:19 PM
(4) "I'm a ranger and revere nature, and you're wearing furs. I'm going to kill you!"

(5) "You're a god-like being? I'm going to act like an ******* to you, then whine and sulk when something bad happens."

(6) "I have some issue with you in real life that I won't deal with out of game, so my character is going to be a complete **** to your character at every opportunity."

incandescent
2011-07-19, 07:41 PM
(7) "I'm playing the only divine character (and possibly the only character who cares anything about divinity) and my religion's interests take precedence over anything we do."

(8) "My character background in every campaign we've ever played in can be summed up as 'Apathetic Mercenary'".

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 07:52 PM
(1) "So you're trying to make <<some character I've never heard of>>?" Not too bad, but irritating when your carefully crafted original character is now reduced to someone else's media character. Particularly when that character's other attributes are then ascribed to yours.

It is worse when you have no idea who the character you are supposedly copying is.

(9) Let's go on an adventure! The other PC rushes out the inn to pursue some lofty goal. Your character, on the other hand, just watches that PC run off because they didn't even take the time to introduce themselves so you've never actually met before.

It is worse when the DM doesn't even realize that your PC isn't even in the inn yet.

WarKitty
2011-07-19, 08:00 PM
(10) I expect your characters to take an active role in the story. However, I won't give you any info about the campaign beforehand, and your paladin supposed to take a quest from a seedy guy in a tavern to get the plot going.

Yukitsu
2011-07-19, 08:08 PM
(11) Violent, rich hobos.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-19, 08:15 PM
(12) You're a cleric, why don't you care about every little thing that a bad person does.

(13) Oh hey... showed up with a vampire assassin in a party of with a good aligned cleric and a knight. It doesn't matter right?

erikun
2011-07-19, 08:27 PM
(14) You are a cleric. Now give your money to all these poor people or lose favor from your god.

(15) You are a rogue. Go steal something. Also, the Paladin hates you.

(16) You are a fighter/barbarian. What are you doing with a positive intelligence?

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 08:29 PM
(17) They are the champion of your god who is completely devoted to a cause or they are a respected and disciplined military commander. And yet, they have no pants and instead have chosen to wear a battlethong. Why are you expecting me to believe that they aren't insane?

Justin Time
2011-07-19, 08:39 PM
(18) I'm going to keep information to myself because I like to think my character is more important than anyone else's.

(19) Complain about your character trying to bash my character's head in after threatening and provoking your character.

Notreallyhere77
2011-07-19, 08:39 PM
(20) Villain doing a monologue, holding vital clues that will help us with our long-term plot arc? I attack!

(21) The shopkeeper/blacksmith/item-enchanter/prostitute/innkeeper won't give me a discount, even though he can clearly see I'm an adventurer. I can use diplomacy, but it's quicker to just pull out my sword and point it at his throat until he/she offers to sell at a loss.

(22) It worked! I should visit this guy over and over, because he'll obviously want to give me all his business. What? He called the Watch? Fine, I'll kill him.

(23) I left the building. The other Watch officers shouldn't know I've done anything. What? Blood on my clothes? Did that happen while I was killing all those witnesses?

(24) So, wait, arguments escalate in steps? First grumbling, then shouting, then verbal threats, and then I can pull out my weapons? Like real life, huh? Hm. Real Life. Never played it. What system does it run on?

(25) I name my character Lando Goshen. Or King Arthur. Or Mace Windo. Sure, I'm taking the campaign seriously. That's it! I'm naming him ******** ******** McGee!

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-19, 08:50 PM
(26) Yes, my PC has average looks or is ugly. You're ignoring them in favor of Titty Von Boobular? And then you complain when my PC might not have the highest opinion of your PC?

(27) My PC is not looking for love. Yes, I get it that yours is. Yes, that's a very nice picture you have. Yes, they are flexible, I get it. That's very nice. I get it that your PC is depressed because they haven't gotten laid. Please pay attention to the demons trying to kill us and try not to boff the succubus.

(28) No, my PC is not going to sleep with yours. Not even if I am playing a woman. Okay, your PC is now pissed? Faaaantastic.

byaku rai
2011-07-19, 08:59 PM
(29) Hmmm... I think I'm gonna play a Neutral Evil Dread Necromancer because I like the fluff/want an army of zombies. Wait, there's an Exalted character in the group? Oh well, I'mma just keep being evil over here. We're all in the same party, it's not like he's gonna attack me.

(30) OMG he attacked me! All I was doing was desecrating these corpses!

Vultawk
2011-07-19, 09:22 PM
(31) I'm not only making a detailed backstory for my character, but a laundry list of goals that will allow my character to grow naturally. Oh, what's that? We'll be doing something else occasionally. No problem. I'll just throw a fit. (Bonus points if they critique everyone else's role-playing.)

togapika
2011-07-19, 10:33 PM
(32) What do you mean I can't keep treasure I find from the party? Not even as the party rogue?

WarKitty
2011-07-19, 10:54 PM
(32) What do you mean I can't keep treasure I find from the party? Not even as the party rogue?

(32a) What do you mean, I have to roll a bluff check?

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-20, 12:22 AM
(33) I'm fwive years old! And I wanna kill dwagons. 'm an adwenturer!

hawkingbird
2011-07-20, 12:28 AM
(34) "I cast invisibility sphere so we can sneak into this house full of treasure". Rest of party then decides to leave the sphere. What do you mean you expect me to save you from the indestructible golems you just awoke? And the burning wreak of a house that you set fire to? AND share all the treasure that I picked up while you were setting off traps!?!?

(34a) Dues Ex Machina (especially retroactive variety)

GenericGuy
2011-07-20, 12:30 AM
35) Any character with a name that has a color, animal, or weapon in it, Ex: Raven Blacksword, Crimson Razerwolf, I want some PCs to name their character Bob or Joe for a change.:smalltongue:

NikitaDarkstar
2011-07-20, 12:37 AM
34) I fireball it.

35) What do you mean the fireball also set fire to the surrounding buildings/vegetation?!

36) Wait you mean almost all fire related spells can set stuff on fire? And that can hurt me/make looting impossible?!

37) And large area of effect spells is frowned upon in cities?!

Velaryon
2011-07-20, 12:59 AM
40. (correcting the numbering a bit since we have an extra 34 and 35)

"The first thing I tried didn't work? Well, I'm useless in this encounter, so I'm going to sit here and pout until we move on to something else."

41. "What are my spells again?*"

41a. "I roll a Fortitude save? Where's that?*"

*When spoken by someone who is not even remotely new to the game.

42. *rolls the die where nobody can see it, and quickly picks it up afterward*
"Natural 20!"

Coidzor
2011-07-20, 04:49 AM
43. Gritty Noire? Sounds like we need a Paladin to strong arm the party into behaving exactly according to how I view morality!

44. You want to find out what's going on with the Dark Lord since we subdued one of his lackeys rather than killing him in combat? Sorry, my Exalted Good character just cut off the head of the prisoner before you could get any information or decide what to do with him.

45. I've mastered the art of the most annoying voice in the world. Guess what voice the most talkative enemies you've faced to date are going to get? :smallamused:

edit: 46. Have fun watching the party rogue roll d20 after d20 to fleece you for everything you're worth because the players who invested ranks in spot on their characters couldn't make it today and I wanna bone the rogue's player, so we're doing this despite it having been explicitly verboten before that.

47. Kender.

48. Kender voices.

49. No you're supposed to be enchanted with the Kender's antics, not hire the city's poorest and most desperate prostitutes to grapple, block, and otherwise distract the Kender for long enough for the party to run away.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-20, 04:57 AM
(50) "I am just playing my alignment!" after fireballing the orphanage.:smallannoyed:

Xuc Xac
2011-07-20, 05:35 AM
(7) "I'm playing the only divine character (and possibly the only character who cares anything about divinity) and my religion's interests take precedence over anything we do."

Just as annoying is "Religion is for clerics. No one else is a world with demonstrably real gods ever feels like praying or visiting a temple might be a good idea once in a while."

Ravens_cry
2011-07-20, 06:20 AM
Just as annoying is "Religion is for clerics. No one else is a world with demonstrably real gods ever feels like praying or visiting a temple might be a good idea once in a while."
Or "Because you worship one god as your primary patron, that means you can not revere other deities in a Pantheistic game world."

Tengu_temp
2011-07-20, 06:39 AM
51. I'm playing a stupid evil character in an otherwise good/neutral party, and when I encounter consequences for my behaviour I'm going to throw a hissy fit that you don't let me roleplay my character and/or whine that you see the world in black and white and are too naive for edgy, adult settings with subjective morality.
52. I'm a special snowflake, more special than you. My whole personality is dictated by how awesomely quirky and different I am from everyone else, and I'm not going to let you forget it.

Morty
2011-07-20, 06:47 AM
53) Even though we're all adventurers with 200 gold pieces in cash each, not counting our magic items, I'm going to haggle with every vendor over every two gold pieces they demand for mundane items no matter how much time it takes. I'm also going to be perfectly willing to steal things if it means saving a few coins.

Necroticplague
2011-07-20, 07:03 AM
54: "Morality is black and white. Evil people do evil things for evil reasons, and good people do good things for good reasons."

hangedman1984
2011-07-20, 10:05 AM
Or "Because you worship one god as your primary patron, that means you can not revere other deities in a Pantheistic game world."

nitpick: pretty sure you meant polytheistic, pantheism is actually something quite different

Morghen
2011-07-20, 11:03 AM
36) Wait you mean almost all fire related spells can set stuff on fire? And that can make looting impossible?!My current party has a saying:

"Good magic doesn't burn."

Excellent advice for adventurers facing long odds.

Coidzor
2011-07-20, 11:06 AM
55. Why, yes, we are going to narrate out every. single. possible. scene. the. characters. do. no mater how mundane and lacking in actual interaction. And it's not even going to set up the plot or chekovs gun at all. Have fun waiting in line for the privy.

Techsmart
2011-07-20, 11:28 AM
(16) You are a fighter/barbarian. What are you doing with a positive intelligence?
We played one campaign where I, as the fighter, had more knowledge checks than the cleric and wizard.
56: "I follow them"
57: "What are they doing? I do it too."
58: "Oh, it's combat time? I do something completely different from the party and probably puts them at risk."

UrsielHauke
2011-07-20, 01:01 PM
59) Players who think really high rolls on things like diplomacy and intimidate mean what they want to happen just happens and they don't have to roleplay out their interaction.

60) Tipping die rolls.

61) "Let's split up, even though we'll probably die. It sounds like more fun." (IE not having a good reason to).

62) 2-paragraph backgrounds, or DMs that won't read backgrounds over a certain length.

Avilan the Grey
2011-07-20, 02:29 PM
59) Players who think really high rolls on things like diplomacy and intimidate mean what they want to happen just happens and they don't have to roleplay out their interaction.

I would agree with them. This is the reason we have those dice rolls...

63) I am a Paladin so I will kill the rogue and the half-orc ASAP.

64) I start DMing the game instead of the GM, narrating what the NPCs reactions are to my actions.

Mikeavelli
2011-07-20, 03:06 PM
64. You got this aspect of the world wrong! This NPC would NEVER do something like that, it totally contradicts the established cannon of the world!

64b. Hearing the above complaint in a homebrew world created specifically because the players know too much about established worlds, and would complain when I changed something.

Frozen_Feet
2011-07-20, 03:21 PM
65. Logic? Causation? Consequence? Responsibility? Laws of nature? Game rules? Of course I know what those are! I just gonna ignore all of them if they get in my way. >=D

Ravens_cry
2011-07-20, 03:52 PM
nitpick: pretty sure you meant polytheistic, pantheism is actually something quite different
:smallredface: Yes, my mistake. Thank you.

super dark33
2011-07-20, 03:58 PM
66. the gnome/halfling merchant you try to rob? he is a high leveled wizard, he kicks your ass, and you find out he doesnt even have goods, i changed him when you tried to rob him because i dont want you to interfer with my bad plot.

67. the gnome is an archmage. you cant kill him. stop trying to kill my NPC you damned lizardfolk ranger!

Notreallyhere77
2011-07-20, 04:05 PM
42. *rolls the die where nobody can see it, and quickly picks it up afterward*
"Natural 20!"

I know this guy. They happen every once in a while, and the best you can do is have them roll in an area where everyone can see the die, and tell them that if no one can see it, they rolled a 1. Enforce this rule, and they'll stop, but only as long as you enforce it.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-20, 04:31 PM
66. the gnome/halfling merchant you try to rob? he is a high leveled wizard, he kicks your ass, and you find out he doesnt even have goods, i changed him when you tried to rob him because i dont want you to interfer with my bad plot.

66a "Whaa . . .? Why does a person who regularly sells items worth thousands, if not tens of thousands, worth of gold at twice their cost have protection in the form of well paid, highly skilled guards and magic? *whine*"

Notreallyhere77
2011-07-20, 05:35 PM

I justified this in my campaigns by canonically placing the most recent war's greatest veterans in the following professions: Bartender, Merchant, Craftsman, Librarian. I even spell it out to the players in the background history before the campaing starts.
Naturally, not all of the bartenders and librarians are high-level buttkickers, but after the first two run-ins, the PCs usually decide not to take the chance.
That said, railroading is bad, and if you make an NPC invincible because he's vital to the plot, just make his absence terribly inconvenient later, when the PCs find out he's the only one who knew the secret password into the thieves' guild HQ. Or just explain to them that he's a plot hook and to please look for a reason not to rob him on a whim.

Arbane
2011-07-20, 11:10 PM
67: Yes, my campaign world is wall-to-wall with characters ten levels higher than you. It's still up to YOU to save the city/world/multiverse because shut up.

Remmirath
2011-07-20, 11:24 PM
68: "Yeah, okay, you guys are working together now. Why? Eh, I don't know. You just are. Don't bother making something up. Hey, here's the plot hook! Go get it!"

69: "Oh, your character is male? That's right, yeah, I remember. Okay." -Several minutes later- "So, as <charname> is walking along, she notices something out of the ordinary..." -cue face hitting palm-

70: When referring to the character, using the player's name. Really, any time the DM/players can't be bothered to remember who the characters actually are and that they are seperate from the players.

71: "What, you actually want to roleplay? How lame is that? Let's just go find something to kill so that I can whine about my character almost dying."

72: "My character was totally there for that whole scene in the bar that I was so bored by I just wandered off! And she heard everything in your conversation, even though last anyone knew she was standing back at the place we left our horses the whole time!"

73: All right, so we're going to go talk to that NPC over there... oh wait. You're just rolling an intimidate check and not even roleplaying it, so that now the NPC will just be scared of us and not talk. Again.

74: "We couldn't've won that fight without my character! You guys didn't do anything, so give me the loot." Despite said character having spent the fight stretched out on the ground. Bonus points if they think this purely because their character is a wizard/cleric/other potentially useful spellcaster.

75: "We have to rest now because my character is out of spells. Yes, we're in a completely hostile environment and there is absoloutely no reason for our characters to believe they're safe, but the DM will allow it because I'll complain if he doesn't. Let's do it!"

76: Players who have not even thought up a name for their character, and then proceed to slap something ridiculous and completely unbelievable on them at the last minute (as in, when somebody actually asks what it is).

77: "Hey guys! My character has a charisma of eighteen! That means you must love her, even though she is acting in a truly obnoxious fashion!" Does sometimes also happen with male characters, but seemingly less frequently.

78: "My character is chaotic good, but I'm going to go torture this guy. It's fine. Oh, your character objects? And they're not good? That's not fine! You're playing your alignment wrong!"

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-20, 11:53 PM
77: "Hey guys! My character has a charisma of eighteen! That means you must love her, even though she is acting in a truly obnoxious fashion!" Does sometimes also happen with male characters, but seemingly less frequently

77a: "Hey guys! My character has a charisma of ten. That means you must love her, even through she is acting in a truly obnoxious fashion!" She has a ten because she's a no-nonsense loner who doesn't suffer fools, such as everyone and everything else that exists. She (Often he) is still totally hot with abs you can bounce ioun stones off of.

Crow
2011-07-20, 11:57 PM
77a: "Hey guys! My character has a charisma of ten. That means you must love her, even through she is acting in a truly obnoxious fashion!" She has a ten because she's a no-nonsense loner who doesn't suffer fools, such as everyone and everything else that exists. She (Often he) is still totally hot with abs you can bounce ioun stones off of.

Haha, I'm that guy in real life. Except probably more like a Charisma of 8. :smallwink:

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-21, 12:12 AM
In the name of science, I must throw rocks at your stomach and measure how far they bounce. Also, please refrain from sending pictures of yourself to anyone, as another thread is reaching dangerous levels of creepy.

hobbitkniver
2011-07-21, 01:19 AM
79. Oh, this is like that scene from /Movie/ where ___ happens.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-21, 05:01 AM
79. Oh, this is like that scene from /Movie/ where ___ happens.:furious:

Errr, I mean... uhh... Yes. This also occurs. :smallredface:

Irreverent Fool
2011-07-21, 09:29 PM
80. Every character I make is going to have the same personality and be possessed of at least two of the same three traits.

81. The DM sets up a situation that will allow my new character to meet the party. I say that I'm only interested in treasure and will go along with them as long as I get a share of the loot. What do you mean they don't trust me and don't want me to travel with them? I'm the new PC!

There is a player in our group who consistently plays either a warlock, a gnome, or a character with the feral template. His alignments are either chaotic neutral or neutral evil. This in itself would not be that big of a deal, except he's constantly getting bored with what he's playing and his character runs off to do something stupid. This ends in death, which results in a "new" character being made.

monkey3
2011-07-21, 10:54 PM
82. True story:
"Your Necromancer has to leave the party because my Paladin says so." Never mind that the Dread Necromancer was a party member long before the Paladin, and the new guy knew this while rolling up his paladin, and that they have been adventuring together for 3 months (with the necro doing most of the heavy lifting).

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-21, 11:04 PM
83. "I didn't have the good sense to eat before the session, and thus my character becomes inexplicably angry and prone to shouting four hours into the six-hour session."

84. "Despite the fact that I have to work tomorrow, I said it'd be fine to keep going... nonetheless, my character becomes inexplicably angry and prone to shouting at about 2:00 A.M."

:smallsigh:

On a side-note, this becomes infinitely more irritating when said person is, in fact, DM, GM, or ST - then all the NPCs are like this. :smallmad:

Choco
2011-07-22, 10:04 AM
85: "I am going to run off on my own again and do 1 session's worth of stuff, by myself, that no one else cares about but now that they are here are forced to watch anyway."

86: "I am going to spend the entire session leveling myself up and/or shopping for gear (with the DM's help the entire time of course), despite the fact the DM told me to do this between sessions and everyone else is already finished."

87: "That's what my character would do!"

88: "I know I have been playing this same character almost weekly for 5 years, but what do I add to my attack rolls again?"

89: "I am not interested in what is going on now, so I am just going to play some TF2 here and once it comes time for my character to do something, I will just make everyone spend 5-10 minutes filling me in."

90: "Yes I know my character is a douchebag loner who doesn't like, and isn't liked by, the party. But you guys have to put up with him anyway because he is a PC."

UrsielHauke
2011-07-22, 12:32 PM
91. New player to the campaign: I'm going to show up an hour late with no character made!!!

92. New player: But you guys have to let me play! My character is almost halfway done!!!

93. DM: Ok, what's your AC?
New player: Umm... AC, AC, lets see... so my dex mod is this, plus the base of 10,... (10 mins later), umm... twenty-two!
Me: *Facepalm*

94. Players who don't seem to be able to grasp the math involved. It's not that hard.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 12:49 PM
95. "The Mayor of the town wants you to kill these orcs!" "Um. Okay, so what have they been doing?" "They're orcs" "Yeah, and I'm Neutral Good. Have they actually been doing anything to the town?" "No. Just kill them."

Choco
2011-07-22, 12:58 PM
95. "The Mayor of the town wants you to kill these orcs!" "Um. Okay, so what have they been doing?" "They're orcs" "Yeah, and I'm Neutral Good. Have they actually been doing anything to the town?" "No. Just kill them."

What, don't you know that they are evil simply by nature of being orcs? :smallconfused: Now make sure you kill all the kids too, gotta exterminate this evil menace from the face of the material plane! Oh and feel free to take all their stuff after you kill them too.

96: "I am going to win this boss fight in 1 shot by using all kinds of convoluted real life and/or theoretical physics. Yes I know my character has an Int score of 6, so what? Just say <high int party member> came up with the plan."

97: "<x> edition/<y> other system is soooo much better than <system we playing>."

98: "The DM said the next campaign will be dark and gritty and serious, so I'm going to make a goofy comic relief character to lighten the mood!"

99: "Kender seems like a fun race to play..."

100: "My character....Drow....Dual-wielding...exiled....good....misunderstood..."

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 01:10 PM
95a. "The Mayor of the town wants you to kill these orcs!" "Um. Okay, so what have they been doing?" "They're orcs" "Yeah, but we're a party of a tiefling, an orc, a goblin, and a yuan-ti. Let's just eat the humans instead." "No, just kill the orcs."

Notreallyhere77
2011-07-22, 01:41 PM
...This in itself would not be that big of a deal, except he's constantly getting bored with what he's playing and his character runs off to do something stupid. This ends in death, which results in a "new" character being made.

I love the way you put "new" in quotation marks. And I feel your pain.

Dr paradox
2011-07-22, 01:43 PM
(32) What do you mean I can't keep treasure I find from the party? Not even as the party rogue? (32a) What do you mean, I have to roll a bluff check?

(32b) What do you mean the Lawful good character, the cleric of the god I'm stealing from, and some people with the common sense not to steal from obviously angry spirits are trying to stop me from stealing that gem? I'm a Rogue! Stop Stifling my Roleplay!

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-22, 01:59 PM
91. New player to the campaign: I'm going to show up an hour late with no character made!!!

92. New player: But you guys have to let me play! My character is almost halfway done!!!

93. DM: Ok, what's your AC?
New player: Umm... AC, AC, lets see... so my dex mod is this, plus the base of 10,... (10 mins later), umm... twenty-two!
Me: *Facepalm*

94. Players who don't seem to be able to grasp the math involved. It's not that hard.Excuse me, you seem to be looking for that thread in which general behavior/tomfoolery kills fun in a session. This is roleplaying pet peeves. :smallsigh:

Sipex
2011-07-22, 02:39 PM
101: Hey guys, I made my character, it's basically me in a robe.

101a: What do you mean that's a problem? He's an elf, I'm not. We're completely different.

WarKitty
2011-07-22, 02:58 PM
102: "As you sneak through on your world-saving quest, you see a slave being beaten by several heavily armed guards. There are a significant number of other guards around." Whaddya mean you just keep moving? Aren't you guys good?

103: But that was supposed to be the new PC!

RandomNPC
2011-07-22, 03:17 PM
94. Players who don't seem to be able to grasp the math involved. It's not that hard.

This, a thousand times this. One guy was told to write it down no less than five times in one day, next game, I'm reaching over and writing out his totals so he stops scanning over the notebook paper he copied half his character onto. He's got height, weight, age, class, level, and gear. Weapons, armor, and half his skills, however, are written with no numbers anywhere near them, no modifiers, bonus, base, or total, ten rounds into combat, he still can't remember.

Sipex
2011-07-22, 03:21 PM
I had a player like that, the worst part isn't that they're bad at math. That's fine. You can't help being bad at math.

The worst part is they don't take the steps to work around it! Augh.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-22, 03:43 PM
The worst part is they don't take the steps to work around it! Augh.No, the worst part is that it's not a roleplaying pet peeve, and doesn't belong here. :smallannoyed:

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying as heck, but it has nothing to do with this thread, and thus has no reason to be on this list. :smallsigh:

WarKitty
2011-07-22, 03:50 PM
104: Experience is handed out almost entirely based on combat. What, your character would rather find a peaceful resolution? No XP for you!

104a: "Here's 100 roleplaying xp for peacefully resolving a CR 5 encounter" counts as "no XP."

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 04:33 PM
105. Dragons and outsiders can totally kill you for no reason. See, they are so much above humans that its like eating a ham sandwich. You, however, cannot get yourself an angelskin cloak nor a dragonscale suit of armor without dipping into evil unless it is from an evil outsider. And don't ask me to figure out which is which since both good and evil want to kill you!

Tech Boy
2011-07-22, 05:52 PM
106. "I'm the tank! I only have X intelligence, I am not smart enough to listen to the properties of the quest!"

107. "Does the magical being have any item that would help (Insert EVERY base stat here), I need some more (Same stat)."

108. Person leaves room to get a drink. Two friends in the party leave the group to go talk to an NPC about a quest. Person that left the room, obviously stayed with the group. Comes back, "I object!"
You can't be with EVERY member of the party, regardless of location...

109. Guys! Guys! The Bestiary says that this enemy only has X HP left! Oh, and it's weak in Y, and usually travels with (Insert gear here), so we can take that.

TheThan
2011-07-22, 05:54 PM
DM:Oh your a lawful good paladin arn't you? You WILL fall.
player: but i don't want my paladin to fall!
DM too bad, see that queen you just rescued, she's evil and you've been caught with her, now you've fallen.
Player: but i was just completing a quest YOU gave me! besides i was just talking to her!
DM: too bad now your an ex paladin, soon to be a blackguard!
Player: grr!

Archpaladin Zousha
2011-07-22, 06:18 PM
DM too bad, see that queen you just rescued, she's evil and you've been caught with her, now you've fallen.
Player: but i was just completing a quest YOU gave me! besides i was just talking to her!
MAKER'S BREATH DOES THIS ANNOY ME!

I don't get why people seem to think the only reason to play a Paladin is because you really want to play a Blackguard later! :smallfurious:

Another thing that irritates me:

111. "I'm a rogue, therefore I have some sort of OCD that compells me to pick the pockets of everyone in the tavern, as well as my fellow PCs, for no apparent reason other than the fact that I am a rogue."

To make things clear, I've got no problem with a rogue being a pickpocket, it's an iconic image. What I have a problem with is players who make a kleptomaniacal pickpocket without any regards to WHY. If a character is a pickpocket, they're not going to stick their hands into the pockets of EVERYONE in the room! They are going to pick a single mark who looks like they've got a decent amount of money and are adequately distracted, and then they will pick THAT person's pocket, and leave the scene as quickly and as inconspicuously as possible. The more people you try to rob in the same place at the same time, the more likely you are to be caught in the act, which will send you off to the stocks for the afternoon if you're lucky, and the gallows if you're not. Plus, if you're a pickpocket that has taken up adventuring, you're not likely going to resort to petty theft anymore, as adventuring will hopefully make you richer than you ever could be by picking pockets. A pickpocket doesn't do what they do because they expect a big payout. If that were true, they'd become a cat-burglar or a smuggler or something. Pickpockets are desperate. They steal for enough money to eat that night. And stealing from your potential party mates will not endear you to them, and stealing their gear AFTER you've joined up with them is just sad. It doesn't show you're a rogue. It shows you are in need of therapy!

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 06:57 PM

Thirded. Why would the gods keep making paladins at this rate?

PC: Oh great god of justice, I wish to become a champion of your faith and devote my sword and shield to your service!
God: So...How about cleric?
PC: I have sworn to obey the paladin order, and have taken all of the oaths!
God: What? Oh...Right, I never should have had so much to drink. Look, how about becoming a ranger?
PC:...Er? But I wished to follow in the footsteps of my father.
God: Yeah, about that, that didn't end so well. Not for him, and not for all of the villages he 'visited'. You're a god****ed ranger and you'll like it.
PC: :smallconfused:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-22, 07:43 PM
Excuse me, you seem to be looking for that thread in which general behavior/tomfoolery kills fun in a session. This is roleplaying pet peeves. :smallsigh:

No, the worst part is that it's not a roleplaying pet peeve, and doesn't belong here. :smallannoyed:

Don't get me wrong, it's annoying as heck, but it has nothing to do with this thread, and thus has no reason to be on this list. :smallsigh:

Linky (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192060).

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 07:47 PM
Fourth-ed. What especially bugs me is there is plenty of ways to be a jerk in as similar ways to the Druid, "Oh, hey, a goblin stuck a Fine metal shield in your backpack while you slept and you picked up your backpack, you can't use nature powers today" yet we don't hear those horror stories.
I mean "ceases to revere nature"? Hows that for an ambiguous statement? It could mean anything up staying a night in town, stepping on a bug and not doing 10, Obad-Hai's, or worse. There is situations where a Paladin should fall, and sometimes, with player consent, there should be places where the only answer would involve falling. But some DM's take unholy glee about it like its a contest.

Honest Tiefling
2011-07-22, 07:56 PM
I have never seen attempts with the druid honestly. Then again, I can really see DMs here not wanting to give them more material to act like an annoying hippy and then shout it is in character!!!!!oneoneone!!!!

That, or some groups might be desperate enough for a healer. Through I really think that the paladin is more of a challenge as people bicker over what it means to be good more then what it means to revere nature. People can at times during the normal course of a day wonder if they are a good person. Most people don't do that with nature. So when a paladin comes along, some DMs might want to see if they are really that good aligned or not. Just a theory, however.

Kojiro
2011-07-22, 08:58 PM
Fourth-ed. What especially bugs me is there is plenty of ways to be a jerk in as similar ways to the Druid, "Oh, hey, a goblin stuck a Fine metal shield in your backpack while you slept and you picked up your backpack, you can't use nature powers today" yet we don't hear those horror stories.

I am rather sure that the "carries a prohibited shield" is meant in the sense of carrying it for use, not just having one on your person. Just possessing metal of any other sort doesn't do anything, so just picking up a shield and losing their bowers doesn't fit with everything else, or make any sense.

WarKitty
2011-07-22, 09:03 PM
I am rather sure that the "carries a prohibited shield" is meant in the sense of carrying it for use, not just having one on your person. Just possessing metal of any other sort doesn't do anything, so just picking up a shield and losing their bowers doesn't fit with everything else, or make any sense.

My old DM used to threaten to have one of the enemies shove a metal helmet on my head.

Kojiro
2011-07-22, 09:09 PM
My old DM used to threaten to have one of the enemies shove a metal helmet on my head.

Well, that would technically be wearing the armor, as opposed to just possessing it (which does not cause a Druid to temporarily lose its powers, hence my shield comment), but honestly that's a cheap move. And a nonsensical one considering that most people would not be familiar with that particular characteristic of druids, or druids in general considering that they're wilderness recluses. But, oh well, I suppose.

Edit: Also, I'd post something relevant but you guys managed to hit most of the things I hate. Which, considering that there's over 100, is not surprising.

WarKitty
2011-07-22, 09:22 PM
Well, that would technically be wearing the armor, as opposed to just possessing it (which does not cause a Druid to temporarily lose its powers, hence my shield comment), but honestly that's a cheap move. And a nonsensical one considering that most people would not be familiar with that particular characteristic of druids, or druids in general considering that they're wilderness recluses. But, oh well, I suppose.

Edit: Also, I'd post something relevant but you guys managed to hit most of the things I hate. Which, considering that there's over 100, is not surprising.

To be fair, that was never a serious threat as much as us trying to come up with the absolute dumbest things we could.

Kojiro
2011-07-22, 09:37 PM
Ah, alright. Was sort of wondering why that was a response to what I was saying. DM sense of humor is fine though.

...Hm. Now, because of tangents, I'm wondering if a ragg... Whatever those animated laundry piles are, if one had some chainmail in there, if one eating/possessing a Druid would cause him to lose his powers. This is so far off-topic it hurts, though.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 10:15 PM
It's meant as an example of possible jerk DM behaviour. RAW it go either way in my opinion.

Marillion
2011-07-22, 10:39 PM
112: "Eh, I'm bored. What do I need to roll to shoot that guy?"

Vacant
2011-07-22, 10:42 PM
63) I am a Paladin so I will kill the rogue and the half-orc ASAP.

Ugh, this happened to me when I was playing an orcish paladin, of the same order no less. Fortunately, I won the fight, so nobody died, and the DM said he'd fall if he tried to kill a member of his order with no provocation again. Which is actually a pretty good reason to fall, while that topic is up.

WarKitty
2011-07-22, 11:01 PM
Ugh, this happened to me when I was playing an orcish paladin, of the same order no less. Fortunately, I won the fight, so nobody died, and the DM said he'd fall if he tried to kill a member of his order with no provocation again. Which is actually a pretty good reason to fall, while that topic is up.

This? Should happen more often. Sanctimonious jerk behavior is worthy of a fall.

Ravens_cry
2011-07-22, 11:08 PM
This? Should happen more often. Sanctimonious jerk behavior is worthy of a fall.
I think that counts more or less as an out-of-character problem and should be dealt with accordingly. Attacking party members for no reason on the other hand is attempted murder and IS Fall worthy.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-22, 11:59 PM
112: "Eh, I'm bored. What do I need to roll to shoot that guy?"

On that note, "My character is chaotic good. What do I need to roll to punch that guard lieutenant in the face?"

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 12:06 AM
On that note, "My character is chaotic good. What do I need to roll to punch that guard lieutenant in the face?"

My chaotic good characters would do that to anyone who is of higher status and therefore thinks that they are allowed to be arrogant and act holier-than-thou.

TheCountAlucard
2011-07-23, 12:12 AM
My chaotic good characters would do that to anyone who is of higher status and therefore thinks that they are allowed to be arrogant and act holier-than-thou.Oh, I'm sure what he's saying/doing could've been viable in other campaigns, but it wasn't in this one...

1) He'd never even asked anyone about the lieutenant in question, let alone seen or known him, and thus really didn't know anything about the guy other than "he's a lieutenant."

2) The city is in a state such that it will be invaded by the big mean empire that sacrifices halflings' souls to make magic items. This he does know.

The fact that the lieutenant in question was a PC never enters into the equation, either. :smallsigh:

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 12:25 AM
Oh, I'm sure what he's saying/doing could've been viable in other campaigns, but it wasn't in this one...

1) He'd never even asked anyone about the lieutenant in question, let alone seen or known him, and thus really didn't know anything about the guy other than "he's a lieutenant."

2) The city is in a state such that it will be invaded by the big mean empire that sacrifices halflings' souls to make magic items. This he does know.

The fact that the lieutenant in question was a PC never enters into the equation, either. :smallsigh:

Yeah, I know it was bad, because in this case there was no IC reason for it.

share and enjoy
2011-07-23, 01:14 AM
#113? what do you mean your character reacts badly to having an eagle summoned onto his face after being covered in glue and then having a shark thrown at him which managed to miss if you retaliate my druid will END you

#114 what do you mean you try to stop my druid who caused revived a fire elemental in the middle of a town and then used stone shape on the building next to it to put out the fire if you retaliate I will END you transforms into giant crocodile.

#115 what do you mean that grapple rules in pathfinder are different and I didn't manage to win grapple just by being a giant creature (which I shouldn't be able to turn into) I turn into a earth elemental and run away

#116 what do you mean that I can't prepare myself for you to come after me after setting fire to the town, turning into a giant crocodile and rampaging even though my druid hasn't shown any previous signs of having the ability to think about what another character could or would do in any situation.

Leon
2011-07-23, 02:12 AM

People who gripe at people who have trouble with maths. Yes it is hard.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-23, 02:17 AM
People who gripe at people who have trouble with maths.

It's not that. What he means is something like "okay, I got a 14, and I add my base attack bonus, and my strength modifier, and my magic weapon modifier, what's that come up to?" when they've been playing the game for years.

Coidzor
2011-07-23, 02:48 AM
People who gripe at people who have trouble with maths. Yes it is hard.

Not when it's boiled down to an issue of basic literacy, such as being capable of writing down a number and looking down at a piece of paper that the number is written upon when called upon to recall said number.

Choco
2011-07-23, 09:39 AM
117: "My character is chaotic, she doesn't care about authority, so she is going to do exactly what she wants without caring about this thing called 'consequences'. And when the DM brings said consequences into play, I am going to whine that I was just doing what my character would do and he shouldn't be punishing me for good RP."

118: "I'm bored, I'm going to cast Prestidigitation to soil the back of the evil warlord's pants. So what that the rest of you are trying to negotiate with him?"

119: "I can't understand why the rest of you are turning on me just because my character is more of a disruption to the party than a help, and finally crossed the line one too many times."

120: "Any time a party member disagrees with my character, he is going to respond with 'Well then at the next town we can go our separate ways.'"

Morithias
2011-07-23, 10:24 AM
121. "Your character thinks long term, isn't a psycho who kills everything with a second thought, and carefully weighs the risks vs the rewards when considering any mission. She can't be Lawful Evil, she's too smart!"

Hazzardevil
2011-07-23, 11:12 AM
When the Warblade/Spulknife comes up with a badass way to kill the dragon, you are NOT to point out that his mindblade dissapates when he lets go of it without throwing it.