PDA

View Full Version : An Eberron Campaign

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-07-19, 09:03 PM
I am starting an Eberron campaign and I want to know what books would help to understand the setting? The party are a group of 3 (so far) who have their own armor and weapon stall, after they get higher leveled the owner (an artificer) wants to expand to magical items. His goal is to leave his mark on the world through his magical items.

The party:

TN Dragonborn Minotaur. Feats: Power Attack, Cleave, Battle Jump.

TN Changeling Rogue 3/Warrior 1/Wizard 1/Chameleon 2. Feats: Able Learner, Craven, Weapon Finesse, and his changing one is Improved Initiative.

CN Warforged Artificer 7. Feats: Extraordinary Artisan, Still Choosing, Wand Bonding, Still Choosing.

As I am very unfamiliar with the setting and the houses what could I do to help bring the setting to life?

Kol Korran
2011-07-20, 02:01 AM
Well, first of all you should get the Eberron Campaign Setting book. it is the basic one, and should suffice your needs for the beginning. some other books that might be cool:

- Raves of Eberron: expands mostly on the special races to Eberron (warforged, shifter, Kalashtar and changelings) but also a fair bit on others.

- for fluff you could check "player guide to Eberron", but i think that the book is kinda redundant. i wouldn't invest money in it.

- Five nations: for detailed information on the main countries in the main continent. i found it a solid read.

- Sharn: city of towers: for a massively complex city (fantasy New york, in a loose way), only if you plan to spend a lot of time in it.

- Magic of Eberron might be worthwhile, some people really like it, some really don't.

- if you're traveling to other continents, then secrets of Xxen'dric, dragons of Eberron and the Sarlona book (forgot it's name)

- if you'd like to expand on these, i found the "faiths of Eberron" and "dragonmarked" books quite excellent.

this is a long intimidating list. but the take home message is get Eberron's Campaign setting. that books is quite comprehensive. the rest can wait...

good luck with your game! (and you can check my log in the sig for an "Eberron light" campaign)

Andorax
2011-07-20, 01:15 PM
My go-to list for Eberron:

Eberron Campaign Setting (of course)

Five Nations

The Last War (seriously...a HUGE amount of background and a great way to get a feel for the current times. If you're not including the after-effects of a continent-spanning war in your campaign, you're selling the setting short).

Get, read, absorb. Find out what your players want to do. Then decide where you want to go with your campaign and pick up Dragonmarked, Sharn, City of Towers, Secrets of Xen'drik, and/or Secrets of Sarlona accordingly.

Get players excited and interested, then convince them to shell out for Player's Guide to Eberron, Races of Eberron, Magic of Eberron and/or Faiths of Eberron. It's only fair, as they're primarially player's resources, and not unreasonable for you to ask to borrow and reference them as needed.